Solutions to global warming?

183 replies to this topic

#176 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 16:05

Well the sun is the ultimate power source, I would like to see the time averaged power generated over a year, since I think problems may arise during peak times in the winter when they won't be as efficient. It does have the possibility of working.

#177 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:29

I wonder about something...how is CO2 is related to the global warming? Because in the Medieval Age, there was LESS CO2, but a HIGHER temperature. Also the Pole caps grow and shrink all the time, that's like the leafs of a tree falling off a tree in autumn...

EDIT: O SHI- over 2 weeks >.<

Edited by Master_Chief, 10 July 2008 - 04:02.

#178 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:10

Necromancing is more widely accepted in these forums :P

CO2 isn't the only thing that can influence temperature. Sunspot activity for example, if it is very low, will also increase temperature on earth.

The fact is that CO2 is related to temperature because it just causes more Light rays to be converted into Infrared rays, which is more warmth.

Also mind you that the most of the problems isn't Directly caused by the CO2, but by more of the situations that it creates, such as the melting of the North Pole, and the melting of the permafrost which releases methane, a real cause of global warming. Really normally the north pole only partially melts away, usually only a small part. Now it is completely gone in a matter of decades.

And the situation that creates, there is no reflection any more off the ice, the ocean will heat up and greenland will get surrounded with hot water. That can melt greenland, rise the ocean by 6 meters and drown my entire country with it. Not to mention the very improbable, but existing threat of, if greenland melts really fast, interruption of the gulf stream.

They say greenland can't melt that fast. There has been much said and each and every single time nature did it way faster. So I don't believe them this time as well.

PS. I dislike that this threat hasn't been going on about global warming but about future energy sources, and that my post about permafrost methane release was equally ignored -.-

Edit: Typo's

Edited by Aftershock, 10 July 2008 - 08:10.

Posted Image

#179 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:29

Also, Water vapor is a much more powerfull greenhouse gas than (i think) any other. At least, it's quite a powerfull one.

#180 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:36

yes true but water vapor is a great part of the earth climate system, and it will usually just fall down in rain. I don't think that there will be a permanent increase of water vapor in the air, but it is true that with a warmer ocean and warmer air, rain can develop much faster, heavier and more suddenly. That's one explanation of the weather run off tracks all over the world. The temperature of the ocean is of such great influence to the climate on land.

Edited by Aftershock, 10 July 2008 - 12:37.

Posted Image

#181 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:34

Efficiency. Take the AC in our house for instance. What can we do to make it more efficient? Or how can we use our environment to our own advantage?

#182 TheGrimKnight

• 14 posts
  • Projects: Taking out the trash....If it wasent for me these forums would smell!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:08

i dono if anyone has said this but Nuclear Winter IS the answer to Global Warming.... ha ha ha no realy if u look at the weather paterns this is just anouther cycle so everyone needs to chill honestly. when ppl are bursting into flames thats when you should be like o crap thats kool me next!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#183 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:27

A shame that even if everyone does 'chill', the Earth isn't going to follow suit. This is going to have big effects on our lives, and those of the next generation. Google 'Atlantic conveyor belt' or 'Greenland glaciers' and you'll see not only how fast the Earth is changing, but the potential even a small tip of the equilibrium can have.
For goodness sakes, it's not about whose fault it is any more (and if it is, it sure as hell shouldn't be). It's about 'what can we do?' And there are options. Not just one option, not even a few but literally hundreds. Efficiency, outsourcing, science, renewables, greening, sustainability - everything. The trouble is that it's a change which will probably take another couple of generations to implement, which is a shame really as we don't exactly have that sort of time before things are going to change out of our control.
Frankly I'm beginning to think we should just send a group of people (including me, of course) off to Mars and watch the planet burn. Hey, it's not a solution to climate change, but at least it's a solution to survivability issues.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#184 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:12

View PostAftershock, on 22 Jun 2008, 23:53, said:

Sterling Dish

I want some opinions from mainly Dauth and everyone who thinks qualified enough, on the viability of crowding the american deserts with these things.

Just don't install these things on a sand storm-frequented area.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users