Ideas

26 replies to this topic

#1 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:08

We can go about trying to implement big schemes to make the world better.

Or we can do it one little step at a time, small ideas.

Like for example, collecting the runoff water from our roofs and filtering it.

I will start with one:

Mandatory Law class for Grade 10s or 11s. If people can get the basic principle behind western law, what their basic rights are, etc. I believe this would better educate the population and be able to allow them to make more effective decisions in the courtrooms whether representing themselves in a civil suit or in a jury. In Canada we have a civics class which gives you a quick run-through, but it is often too short, only lasting half a semester.

Edited by AllStarZ, 16 March 2008 - 04:09.

#2 Troa Barton

Semi-Pro

• 237 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:00

Recycle more
Posted Image

Thanks -Drag- for the sig.

#3 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:03

View PostThelasergen, on 16 Mar 2008, 0:00, said:

Recycle more

Real original.

#4 Troa Barton

Semi-Pro

• 237 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:58

That was sarcasm wasn't it
Posted Image

#5 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:50

Sarcasm on the Internet sucks, go eat butter.

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:43

View PostThelasergen, on 16 Mar 2008, 5:00, said:

Recycle more

Why recycle? Seriously in a number of processes it is less energy and financiallly efficeint, so in fact people have less money to live on.

My big idea, Stop constricting freedoms (note there is a bloody big difference between freedom of speech and hate)
Free markets, stop protecting industries, if something will fail stop propping it up

I like the idea of telling people their rights and laws, that way prats won't start assuming they have more than they do while being arrested.

I should probably shut up now, anymore ideas and my intense love of politics will show through.

#7 kanan

Regular

• 191 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:39

im with you on this Dauth. maybe you could put some more of your ideas out there for us to discuss. anyways i believe once a guy has murdered or raped he shouldnt have any rights at all but thats my take on this particular issue.
k-9 the truth is out there

For The Emperor!!! For The Lion!!!
Death Or Glory!!!
Give Them No Quarter!!! Show Them No Mercy!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
anime <3

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:45

View PostAllStarZ, on 16 Mar 2008, 4:08, said:

I will start with one:

Mandatory Law class for Grade 10s or 11s. If people can get the basic principle behind western law, what their basic rights are, etc. I believe this would better educate the population and be able to allow them to make more effective decisions in the courtrooms whether representing themselves in a civil suit or in a jury. In Canada we have a civics class which gives you a quick run-through, but it is often too short, only lasting half a semester.

Whilst I completely agree that this is a good idea, it doesn't quite make the world better as it focuses on only Western Law! Now if that class also comprised foreign laws and even religous ones such as Sharia Law then all's well.

Force children who live within 2 miles of their school to walk of use public transport. One of my biggest pet peeves are parents wasting hundreds of millions of pounds of diesel/petrol driving their fatassed kids to school everyday.

^ I realise that this is also a western idea but has a more gloabl impact in environmental terms.

#9 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:31

1: Kill George bush.
2: Help Africans develope there countries.
3: Stop being greedy.
4: Help man and woman kind.

Edited by Chris, 16 March 2008 - 12:33.

#10 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:33

Cannot wait for another few months? :P

#11 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:46

1: Ban uncessary 4x4's. This will mean the oil lasts longer and you will be able to see were you are going. Seriously you don't need a 4x4 to drive your kid 1/2 mile to a school.

2: If you murder someone and don't show remorse or are just an evil serial killer you forfeit your human rights.

3 : Stop the selling of industry pollution quota's. So that they can't buy a lesser polluting industrys quota and pollute as much as they want.

4 : Change the World Trade Federation so that its fair and does not show bias towards TNC's / western countries. One of the main ways we can stop poverty is to make trade fair.

Wouldn't say I was into politics. But I like arguing with people and I do feel quite passionately about some issues.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:59

View PostChris, on 16 Mar 2008, 12:31, said:

1: Kill George bush.
2: Help Africans develope there countries.
3: Stop being greedy.
4: Help man and woman kind.

1: This is politics, moreover it's still murder.
2: I'm sorry why should we force Africa to develope? I would adopt an American approach and only give aid to countries that provide something useful to the UK.
3: Greed is natural, greed is human, forcing this change is not on my list, thats infringing on freedom.
If I can afford more food than I medically need, why shouldn't I eat it?
4: A rather noble idea that always falls flat

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Mar 2008, 12:46, said:

1: Ban uncessary 4x4's. This will mean the oil lasts longer and you will be able to see were you are going. Seriously you don't need a 4x4 to drive your kid 1/2 mile to a school.

2: If you murder someone and don't show remorse or are just an evil serial killer you forfeit your human rights.

3 : Stop the selling of industry pollution quota's. So that they can't buy a lesser polluting industrys quota and pollute as much as they want.

4 : Change the World Trade Federation so that its fair and does not show bias towards TNC's / western countries. One of the main ways we can stop poverty is to make trade fair.

Wouldn't say I was into politics. But I like arguing with people and I do feel quite passionately about some issues.

1: If I can afford it, why should I not have a 4x4? You do realise an increase in petrol prices means poor people can't use thier cars which rich people will just pay the price, how amusing a left wing policy that grinds the poor...
A study in the UK showed you would have to jump to prices over £1.80 a litre to get 50% of people out of their cars

2: Does that mean that when you deny them their rights, your rights are denied? (I am playing devils advocate, the human rights act condones too many human wrongs)

3: Carbon offsetting is a load of bollcoks, the company that sells carbon doesn't plant trees, it just gets money from idiots (and the UK government)

4: Free market economy is the only way it works, I hate trade tarrifs. If a buisness cannot compete it can go out of business, I am not propping up a failing company wiht my money.

Kanan, A lot of what I said is very close to the bone of politics, since idealogy for me is mediated with reality and politics are the tools to change reality.

Freedom, is what I'd like to see, freedom to

Think
Speak
Live
Die
Succeed
Fail

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:11

1: I don't care if you can afford it. They're gas munching machines, they're too big and you don't need it. I'm not saying increase petrol prices. Just ban 4x4's apart from the people that need them - IE Farmers who need to get to their field up a mountain. Okay this wouldn't solve the petrol problem. It will still be used but 4x4's have a much lower mpg than an ordinary car does. And the more longevity we get out of our oil the better.

2: It costs over 20,000 a year to keep a prisoner. If you're a axe wielding psycho why should taxpayers pay 20k so you get a bed, an excerise yard ect. Answer - They shouldn't. I suppose in some cases I am for the death penalty.

3: I agree carbon offsetting is a load of bollocks.

4: Again agreed. Northern rock failed, let it fail. Don't use taxpayers money to help it out.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:16

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:11, said:

1: I don't care if you can afford it. They're gas munching machines, they're too big and you don't need it. I'm not saying increase petrol prices. Just ban 4x4's apart from the people that need them - IE Farmers who need to get to their field up a mountain. Okay this wouldn't solve the petrol problem. It will still be used but 4x4's have a much lower mpg than an ordinary car does. And the more longevity we get out of our oil the better.

2: It costs over 20,000 a year to keep a prisoner. If you're a axe wielding psycho why should taxpayers pay 20k so you get a bed, an excerise yard ect. Answer - They shouldn't. I suppose in some cases I am for the death penalty.

4: Again agreed. Northern rock failed, let it fail. Don't use taxpayers money to help it out.

1/ I am not for banning 4x4's at all. If you look at the true cost of carbon production, look to shipping. It currently produces more per square metre than even airplanes. No one even thinks about this when considering the evironment. And prices won't make any difference. If you knew the cost of bunkers you'd shit, literally. One of the reasons why commodities cost soo much these days is because of the astronomical prices of freight to get them to you. 4x4's are a pathetic drop in the ocean compared to some other modes of transport.

2/ Dauth is suggesting that with this sort of philosphy comes a huge potential for wrong doing in the justice system. Think back to how many of the IRA convictions that were quashed in the 90s. These people would be dead now. As would probably several thousand others.

4/ What happens when your bank fails and you can't get into the branch and transfer your savings out before it is forced to stop trading and it is liquified?!

#15 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:24

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:11, said:

1: So you would deny me my consumer freedom? Are you so hellbent on conserving the oil which bankrolls so many dictatorships?
Screw oil, go nuclear.

2: Do you realise just how many trials it takes to kill someone in the USA? It's up to a dozen or more, seriously it is cheaper to keep them alive than to catogorically kill them.

3&4 agree

View PostWizard, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:16, said:

1/ I am not for banning 4x4's at all. If you look at the true cost of carbon production, look to shipping. It currently produces more per square metre than even airplanes. No one even thinks about this when considering the evironment. And prices won't make any difference. If you knew the cost of bunkers you'd shit, literally. One of the reasons why commodities cost soo much these days is because of the astronomical prices of freight to get them to you. 4x4's are a pathetic drop in the ocean compared to some other modes of transport.

2/ Dauth is suggesting that with this sort of philosphy comes a huge potential for wrong doing in the justice system. Think back to how many of the IRA convictions that were quashed in the 90s. These people would be dead now. As would probably several thousand others.

4/ What happens when your bank fails and you can't get into the branch and transfer your savings out before it is forced to stop trading and it is liquified?!

4: You lose your savings, it happens, there are risks in the world, if people noticed, NR went from a Mutual to a Bank some time ago, at that point if you have your head screwed on you can get out. Well done for not mentioning Mortgauges, I would have had to slap you on general principle.

Edit: Typo of strangeness

Edited by Dauth, 16 March 2008 - 13:37.

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:26

Slowly moving vehicles into using ethanol as the major part of the fuel would be a massive step.

Edited by Alias, 16 March 2008 - 13:27.

Posted Image

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:37

View PostDauth, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:24, said:

View PostWizard, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:16, said:

4: You lose your savings, it happens, there are risks in the world, if people noticed, NR went from a Mutual to a Bank some time ago, at that point if you have your head screwed on you can get out. Well done for not mentioning Mortgauges, I would have had to slap you on general principle.

Can't agree. Merely from an macro economic point of view. The loss of those savings would've caused a massive dent in an economy spiralling towards recession even as we speak. You will have seen from the news coverage that there were huge queues and it took some people days to recover their funds. If it hadn't been for the mere hint of the Bank of England proping it up they wouldn't have gotten them. The support offered prevented the liquidators arriving and making millions and leaving Joe Public raped. But this is verging on the political.

New Idea - Treat everyone equally, no matter what they are, where they have come from or what they have to offer.

#18 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:41

View PostAlias, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:26, said:

Slowly moving vehicles into using ethanol as the major part of the fuel would be a massive step.

Well it would start to bankrupt the Middle East, that will be funny to wacth (from a safe distance at least), tbh I think Dubai is the only state with any post oil ideas.

Which reason do you want to shift away from oil to ethanol for? It will grant money to South & Central America, but as we have seen in the Middle East and Africa, throwing Western money at countries isn't always the best idea. From Britians PoV something self contained would be more sensible, less chance of being over a barrel to someone.

Edit: Wiz just posted, must respond

If a bank fails I don't see why I should have to prop it up, if the customers lose money they can sue the management, it's a 2 way contract, you give us your money and we'll look after it. Not you give us your money and we won't but it's ok the taxpayer will.

New Idea - Treat everyone equally, no matter what they are, where they have come from or what they have to offer.

Over my dead body, I will always treat a Doctor with more respect with regard to a broken arm than an admin assistant in Barnsley. Equality basically ends up with everyone stuck at the lowest level.

Edited by Dauth, 16 March 2008 - 13:46.

#19 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:36

View PostWizard, on 16 Mar 2008, 6:45, said:

View PostAllStarZ, on 16 Mar 2008, 4:08, said:

I will start with one:

Whilst I completely agree that this is a good idea, it doesn't quite make the world better as it focuses on only Western Law! Now if that class also comprised foreign laws and even religous ones such as Sharia Law then all's well.

Force children who live within 2 miles of their school to walk of use public transport. One of my biggest pet peeves are parents wasting hundreds of millions of pounds of diesel/petrol driving their fatassed kids to school everyday.

^ I realise that this is also a western idea but has a more gloabl impact in environmental terms.

Well I'm mainly referring to Western countries. The law systems of other countries would be an optional course in my opinion.

I said minor ideas people, ideas people are willing to accept for most part. They don't have to change the world, they just have to make it slightly better.

Edited by AllStarZ, 16 March 2008 - 15:38.

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:09

View PostDauth, on 16 Mar 2008, 13:41, said:

If a bank fails I don't see why I should have to prop it up, if the customers lose money they can sue the management, it's a 2 way contract, you give us your money and we'll look after it. Not you give us your money and we won't but it's ok the taxpayer will.

Over my dead body, I will always treat a Doctor with more respect with regard to a broken arm than an admin assistant in Barnsley. Equality basically ends up with everyone stuck at the lowest level.

Well I will say only this and then move on to another, smaller idea. You can't sue the management to any effective degree. They will have no money to settle and any insolvancy of the company will invalidate their insurances. There is no pot to recover your cash from. If there was then the Maxwell pension saga wouldn't have happened. It's this reason why I feel that there should be a support structure for this sort of thing. The BoE was never going to have to pay out the savers money, it just provided the fiscal surety to try and get NR some credit on the open loans market. The cost to taxpayers is neglible, cost more to sure up the Rover collapse a few years ago. But NVM that.
And on the equality thing, maybe I wasn't specific enough. But ultimately I think that I was hankering down a more policital route than I should've so NVM that to. :P We can talk about it another time.

#21 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:08

@Allstarz the problem is minor ideas are dull, major ones get people going, we even had a nice and active thread in a thinking area.

Bring back a culture of respect, using sport since sportsmen are viewed more highly than parents by the youf, make football (soccer) referees more powerful, if a player swears yellow card him, if he raises his voice yellow card him, only have the captains able to talk to the ref, have all players call them sir. (Like in Rugby)

Remove age restirctions for buying alcohol in the UK, that way when people turn 18 they don't go booze psycho and cause all sorts of trouble.

Legalise all illegal drugs bar Cocaine and Heroin, have places to take them, tax the buggers.

#22 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:56

View PostDauth, on 16 Mar 2008, 15:08, said:

@Allstarz the problem is minor ideas are dull, major ones get people going, we even had a nice and active thread in a thinking area.

Bring back a culture of respect, using sport since sportsmen are viewed more highly than parents by the youf, make football (soccer) referees more powerful, if a player swears yellow card him, if he raises his voice yellow card him, only have the captains able to talk to the ref, have all players call them sir. (Like in Rugby)

Remove age restirctions for buying alcohol in the UK, that way when people turn 18 they don't go booze psycho and cause all sorts of trouble.

Legalise all illegal drugs bar Cocaine and Heroin, have places to take them, tax the buggers.

Major ones are worthless and do nothing, people only bicker over them.

#23 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:58

A debate is fun, ah well nvm,

and tbh the top one is a minor change with hopefully major ramifications.

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:18

View PostDauth, on 16 Mar 2008, 21:08, said:

A better solution at least in my opinion would be to keep the age at 18. But open up places youths can go and drink socially at 15+ Your much less likely to binge doing that than you are house parties.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 16 March 2008 - 21:19.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Troa Barton

Semi-Pro

• 237 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:20

Put bans in all public areas to stop smoking.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users