The E-Studios Short Story Competition

29 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 17:08

OK this is a fairly simple attempt to breath life into this section of the forum.

Very simple rules, word limit 900 to 1100 words (1000 + 10%) in English.
Theme: Anything, (chances are if it's related to something on ES you'll do better)

Since this is a longer task than others, submissions can be made up to the 1st May 00:00 BST.

You can make up to 2 changes to your submitted story, please submit in this thread. This thread will close itself at the end of submissions, after which I will rig up a poll for the winner.

The winner will be decided on in a vote, however I will try to give feedback to people for good Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

#2 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:20

Sorry to say I won't be entering this little fray. My mind is more attuned to short prose lasting no more than a couple of stanzas than it is spitting out paragraph after paragraph.
Posted Image

#3 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:23

I think I will enter this, although I am with nuker in being (probably) a better poet than novelist, especially because I have absolutely no skill in writing dialog that doesn't sound awkward.
~Swimmer
kinda, sorta alive.

#4 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 21:47

I will enter, but i would like a topic or even just a title.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:27

Dr, If you want a topic, just look at the world, pretty much ever story I write the main character is in some way insane so I would be a poor decider of a topic.

However something generic, that you may want to consider, 'Righting a Wrong'

#6 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:33

I'll enter :P

#7 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 18 April 2008 - 00:49

Count on me. I have something in mind.
Posted Image

#8 Dr HaxX

Remorseful Assassin

• 1070 posts
  • Projects: Eden Site; Summit Site

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:46

You may count my blade into the fray. Err... pen. "I am eager...."
Remember me? You old timers?

#9 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:04

I may enter, although i usualy write novels...not short stories...especially not only 900-1000 words
Posted Image

#10 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:13

If I get any good ideas I may enter.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#11 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 15:52

Well here is my entry, word count of contents within quote bracket below, 1095.

Edit: First draft removed, Second draft here http://forum.cncreneclips.com/index.php?sh...st&p=444027

Edited by Dauth, 25 April 2008 - 17:27.

#12 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 18 April 2008 - 18:35

Mature content. Don't read this story if violence isn't your thing.

Insanity Beckons

Gabriel sat in his dark room. The light bulb flickered every second. Painful screams could be heard in the distance in succession. They were using that machine again. He stared down at the rugged floor made of concrete. His bare feet almost freezing with the cold as he wrapped his arms around his knees in a fetal position. A loud buzzer ringed and the large rusted iron door unlocked itself and partially opened.

It was that time of the day again. He slowly stood up and gathered his thoughts. His head feeling woozy enough for him to have trouble finding balance while standing on his feet. He was scared of the outside but he didn't want to get in trouble again. This place had very strict rules and punishments were extreme at the very least.

He shyly peeked outside the door and stared down the hall. He could hear footsteps fade in the distance. Trembling in fear like a little creature, he stepped outside. He was going to be last again, it was all his fault. He cursed under his breath, sounds intelligible to even himself. He stepped down the stairs and found himself in the cafeteria.

An orderly approached him and undid the latches of Gabriel's straight jacket. “You better behave today.” Gabriel looked up at the tall man, nearly twice his size. The words coming out of the orderly's mouth were pure garble to Gabriel. Gabriel nodded slightly, pretending to understand. He walked over to the fat woman serving the food from the immense pot. The scent of the familiar chicken stew they served everyday.

Gabriel grasped the plastic bowl and spoon and held it before her. The woman splattered the food on his dish. Gabriel noticed the weight difference, it was much more solid than usual. He turned around finding the others like him who were locked up in this place. He walked over to his usual table and rested his bowl, sitting down. “Good afternoon Gabriel.” The girl seating in front of him, greeted him. “Hello Priscilla.” Gabriel scooped up the bowl with his spoon and then slipped it in between his lips.

“They let me go outside today to the yard it was fun. No more brick walls, concrete and steel. Flowers and trees for a change.” Priscilla pushed her empty bowl aside and rested her elbows on the table, leaning slightly forward as she watched Gabriel eat. Holding the spoon in his mouth Gabriel felt sick. His spoon fell down on the floor, his wrist accidentally flipping over his bowl and making a mess.

Gabriel was terrified, sitting there as if he had been petrified. There was a very loud commotion and heavy footsteps approached. He blinked as a large hand grabbed the back of Gabriel's head and rammed it on the table. The hot spilled soop splattered on his face mixed in with the blood pouring out of his nose. “You again.” The orderly grunted then threw Gabriel on the floor. Gabriel winced with the pain then looked up at the man standing over him. “I'm sorry. It's all my fault.” Gabriel started crying.

The man started to kick Gabriel's ribcage with an immense strength. Gabriel's body curved in pain with every kick. Priscilla watched as the orderly kept beating on Gabriel. She almost felt like helping him but she couldn't stop the grin forming on her face. Gabriel eventually lost consciousness. Somewhat relieved the pain was fading. He had a blissful short dream. But that was quickly interrupted as he was slapped awake.

Gabriel found himself strapped to a seat. His face covered with dried up blood. The pain in his ribs was almost unbearable. His eyes struggled to open and tried to regain focus. He found himself staring at a large desk before him filled with books and a man seated behind it. “Number 39. Gabriel.” Gabriel recognized the voice instantly. It was the man that spoke on the speakers of the facility every morning. The amount of books appearing to be records piled up on each other were worrying at least.

Just how many people did they have here? Gabriel hands tightened into his fists checking the straps, they were quite strong. “I'm Doctor Gilberto.” The man cleared his throat and opened a book before him, quickly browsing through the pages. “This is your third offense, Number 39. Do you have something to say in your defense?” Gabriel sighed softly and tried to grasp at the pencil on the man's desk.

The man stood and walked over to Gabriel and unstrapped his arm. Gabriel leaned over and grabbed the pencil. He began writing on the sheet of paper. The man leaned over trying to read what Gabriel had written. “Die.” The man read the word aloud and that's when he noticed Gabriel standing behind him. Gabriel pushed the man onto the desk, the books falling on the ground. “I'm not going there again.” Gabriel mumbled as he held the Doctor's throat with a tight grip.

“You don't have to go there. I can help you.” The doctor coughed as Gabriel's grip began getting tighter. “Lies.” Gabriel stared down at the man like some insect. “You are all the same. You lie all the same. You will all die.” The doctor was frightened by Gabriel's words and reached over for something on his desk. An alarm started blaring.

“Good night, Doctor.” Gabriel stabbed the man with the pencil. As the man started screaming, Gabriel smirked and held his hand over the Doctor's lips. He pushed the pencil further until it hit something hard. Gabriel feeling very satisfied leaned off the man's corpse and headed for the door. He slowly turned the knob and found two guards down the hall aiming their assault rifles at him.

Gabriel spit on the wall, feeling uneasy. “Without your guns you are helpless. But even with them.” Gabriel ran towards them at an incredible speed as they opened fire at him. He appeared behind them as the man kept firing at the entrance of the office. “You can't kill what you can't see.” He grabbed the man's head and rammed it into the wall. “Your quicker than I expected.” Gabriel whispered as the rifle's barrel touched against his back.

Suddenly the remaining guard's head was lopped off and the man's body exploded. Gabriel stared at the bloody remains of the man in surprise. Priscilla waved to Gabriel smiling and leaned against the wall, her arms crossed at her abdomen. “That's an interesting ability you have there.” Gabriel grabbed a key chain. “Let's get out.”

My first attempt at a horror story. Ending could be a lot better if the limit was raised slightly. This might actually turn into a series in the future. Hope you all enjoy it.

Attached File(s)

Edited by Overdose, 18 April 2008 - 21:09.

Posted Image

#13 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 18 April 2008 - 19:38

Nice story you got there 'dose :o

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#14 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 20:53

Dauth and Overdose have quickly set themselves apart from the competition. If they are just the beginning, the rest of those participating better bring their A-game.
Posted Image

#15 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:52

Very nice so far. But personally short stories are not my thing. They are too short. You just get a snapshot of a world, and my mind always yearns for more.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 19 April 2008 - 01:54.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:10

View PostIon Cannon!, on 19 Apr 2008, 2:52, said:

Very nice so far. But personally short stories are not my thing. They are too short. You just get a snapshot of a world, and my mind always yearns for more.

I used to, and in some cases still agree, however asking for a 300 page novel is a bit much.

#17 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:50

I could have done with a couple hundred more words but here goes. I tried to give little clues and twist in some philosophy. Dunno how successful it was.

My Vocation

I remember it like it was yesterday. The Early 90’s, our prime. The bright lights and equally blinding music of the rave scene had attracted us here. We were having a great time. Don’t judge me, but at age seventeen only one thing could have made this better- a pretty girl. It’s almost 20 years on now. But these times were the best I’d had so far.

Me and my great mate Dave were already fucked off E. And the night was young. We stumbled like Zombies out of the smoke infested warehouse in which the party was happening, into the dark icy February night outside. We wanted a quick joint, but really couldn’t be bothered with the vultures ready to swoop as soon as they sniffed the tiniest bit of weed smoke. We walked to a corner.

“You there!” Said a girl’s voice.

“Sorry mate, we haven’t got much…” Responded Dave, assuming she was just another vulture.

“I don’t want your weed, come into the light” she responded.

For some reason I felt a wave of importance, so I obeyed the voice. And there sat, on the dirty dusty ground one of the prettiest little hippie girls I’d ever seen. There was something different and amazing about her, it wasn’t her dreadlocked blonde hair or the weird-as-fuck brown rags of clothes she was wearing… it was something else… she even smelled great. Truly indescribable.

“I sense you are the ones I wil recruit… Listen to me” She said rather arrogantly.

“I have a rare… drug. It’s called truth. And it’s called truth for a reason. There isn’t much, and you must have it… Come here”

I looked at Dave, but he was staring at her, equally as besotted with this amazing girl as I was. I turned back to her. She pulled out a wooden pipe, loaded with a strange red leaf.

“Smoke.”

At the time, I thought it was probably some crazy import weed, but I felt obligated to do what the girl said.
She passed the pipe to Dave and he also submitted to the girls will.

The girl spoke
“Only one of you will return, the other will stay in my world. You will be the catalyst”

Before I had time to think about the crazy stuff the girl just said I was being dragged into the air. I could see the warehouse and the area of the city from the sky. Streaks of colours began to orbit me as if I was a planet and all I could think about was the girl. After about a minute I began to feel light-headed and everything went white.

All three of us stood in a white void. I thought I was majorly tripping out, but I got told otherwise.

“No, Simon, you are not hallucinating. Truth is not of Earth, you have been selected, and you now have no choice but to obey.”
Who was this girl? I was about to ask, along with how the fuck she knew my name but again, the question was answered for me.

“I am the mother of the Universe and everything in it. I am what you may call God, do not be afraid”

I didn’t doubt her, my head was fixed on her, I was paralysed. I felt like I was part of her, that she controlled me. But I felt an ecstasy greater that any a pill had gave me.

“You see me as a pretty girl because seeing me in my true form would have destroyed your human mind. You must wait until the rebirth to see me in my greatness… Let me tell you your vocation, your message to spread to the world… You will tell others not to forget about the poor, the sick, and the elderly. Humans have become too tied up in worshipping me that they don’t care about their fellow man. This makes me angry… now, your bodies on earth are experiencing a great ordeal, and one of you will not return to earth, as your body will get too tired and expire.”

I was falling for what seemed like hours. Dave was not falling with me. I knew in my heart why this was. My best friend was dead. Whilst I was plummeting in this white void I started to grieve. He was the kindest, most thoughtful person on the world. I hadn’t known him for long, but I envisioned we’d have many great times together. When we were old we’d be the dirty old men in the corner of the pub, we said. Not anymore. I closed my eyes.

CRACK. I started to cough, and opened my eyes. “You are back with us, don’t worry” said a man. I panicked
“Dave… my friend, how is he.”
The doctor looked confused.
“You were found passed out in the hard shoulder of a motorway, there was no-one with you… the young girl that found you told me to give you this, but first can I have your name.”

I opened the letter. “Dave is with me and he is safe, you will see him in your dreams with advice every so often. Your life of abusing drugs is over. You must keep yourself healthy to ensure you perform your task properly. You will give up smoking and exercise regularly. You will live a long life, and you will achieve your vocation. All my love, G”
The handwriting was perfect.

I didn’t feel the need to mourn my friend. I knew I would see him again in quite a short time. I knew I had to do what I was asked. It turned out he officially had an underlying heart condition which the ecstasy aggravated and he had a heart attack. I knew this wasn’t the case. But it doesn’t matter; the outcome is always the same.

Twenty years on and I’m a preacher for my own organization. The pan religious aid fund. I point out the similarities between all religions and ask all religious people to donate to help the poor. We then give out the aid to everyone in need, no matter what religion. The fun times of my youth are over, but this might be the best time of my life. I don’t need ecstasy to feel loved up and good about myself anymore. I can’t help but feel good about myself, I am very fortunate. I believe God has provided me with everything, even the opportunity to find my beautiful wife and have my kids, David and Joel.

God, whoever he or she is, is great.

1097 words

#18 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 19:37

A Masterpiece of a story Smooder. An Interesting way to introduce God, with a route very few have taken.
Job Well Done!

The War Of 2269. Operation&#58; Mid Dusk

Ten years after the victory of Nicholas Hampshire and his Friend Lucas, The GLE had been in a major defense stance. Knowing that they had lost their best means of attack, they needed to fend off hordes of United Republic attacks. The GLE had been invaded, meaning the war was near a close end. But the overly defensive GLE was able to fend off attack after attack. With the United Republic unable to shake the GLE, they resorted to a 20th and 21st century type warfare, Blitzkrieg. With planes bombing cities and tanks rushing in to remove any remaining resistance, it seemed to have been working. Then the GLE revealed their newest weapon in their arsenal of destruction, one that could decimate the United Republic and all its allies.

Nicholas woke to the sound of air raid sirens and sounds of migs in the distance. He leaped from his bed and ran for the house defenses, waking Lucas in the process. 
&#8220;What the heck is going on?&#8221; Lucas screamed over the sirens, &#8220;We under attack?&#8221;
The two ran to the defenses and adorned radiation suits and put up the radiation shield on the house. &#8220;That should protect us for at least an hour.&#8221; Nicholas yelled while preparing the house for attack.
&#8220;Why would the GLE attack here?&#8221; Lucas screamed whilst helping Nicholas with preparations, &#8220;Think they found out about our discovery?&#8221; 
&#8220;That can&#8217;t be, not even the army knows yet!&#8221;
&#8220;Still is it possible?&#8221;
&#8220;I suppose so.&#8221;
		The two ran to the weapons mechanism inside the house and opened fire on the migs.
Nicholas spotted one just over the horizon, arming its weapons. He shot 12 times on its wing before he hit its critical point and it crashed to the earth in a fiery explosion. Seeing their comrade taken down so easily the other migs retreated while the Air Force came to finish the job.
		Lucas threw his fist in the air, &#8220;Show&#8217;s them what&#8217;s what!&#8221;
&#8220;Don&#8217;t get too excited, they gave up to easily.&#8221;
&#8220;You worry too much, what would they do?&#8221;
	Just as Nicholas tried to reply, a missile siren wailed. 
&#8220;That&#8230;&#8221; Nicholas replied, with a hint of annoyance in his voice.
		As the two ran down the stairs, to further put themselves from the blast, the power cut out.
Nicholas cursed more words then anyone thought possible as he ran to turn on the generator so the shield would start up once again.
	In the generator room Nicholas found he was low on fuel in the generator, he had to turn it on only when he needed the shield. He waited 5 minutes hoping there would be signal to tell him the missile was about to hit, but there wasn&#8217;t. 
	The missile had such force that Nicholas was knocked back against the wall of the tiny room, with glass shattering everywhere. 
&#8220;Nicholas!&#8221; Lucas shouted over the blast, &#8220;Get that shield up!&#8221;
	Nicholas ran to the generator and started it, just in time to feel the first shockwave of the nuclear missile.
The force of the blast had to at least give off 300 decibels, Nicholas was thinking as he ran up the crooked staircase to his friend. Nicholas was in awe at the destruction of this one blast, previous nuclear weapons did not cause this much destruction, how could this have happened?
		&#8220;Nicholas!&#8221; Lucas coughed, &#8220;Great timing on the generator!&#8221; He joked sarcastically. 
&#8220;I&#8217;ll say, I thought we were goners there for awhile!&#8221;
&#8220;At least we missed the full blast&#8221;
&#8220;Yea, but this one caused a lot of destruction for a nuclear missile&#8221;
&#8221;You think too much&#8221;
		Later that day, after all the destruction was fixed, Nicholas and Lucas went to the military outpost in Coartho City. The out post, luckily, survived the blast. Inside they found worker-bots busily fixing the minor damage caused by shockwaves. Nicholas and Lucas walk through the corridor to the office of General Townes, to find that his office was barely even rattled from the blast. Besides a few adornments on the floor, the office was in Tip-top condition.
				  &#8220;Permission to come aboard sir?&#8221; Nicholas asked as he seemed to accidentally push a picture of the general on to the floor.
&#8220;You maggot!&#8221; the General yelled as he ran to catch the falling portrait, &#8220;I should punish you for that!&#8221;
&#8221;Too bad we&#8217;re your best soldiers huh?&#8221;
&#8221;Maggots, if you weren&#8217;t in such a high position, I would knock you one!&#8221;
&#8220;But we are 101st division of the United Republic, so you can&#8217;t!&#8221; Laughed Lucas as he taunted the General.
		 &#8220;So what do you maggots&#8230;Private would you stop jumping up and down?&#8221; 
&#8220;Sorry sir!&#8221; Replied Lucas while Nicholas almost toppled from laughing.
		  &#8220;As I was saying, what do you maggots want today?&#8221; The general asked.
&#8220;Well, for one, that nuclear bomb&#8230;&#8221; Nicholas said trying to get a hold of himself, and stop laughing, &#8220;why was it so strong?&#8221;
&#8220;We don&#8217;t know Nicholas, we were wondering if possibly you and Lucas could look into this?&#8221;
&#8220;We would be honored!&#8221; Exulted Lucas before Nicholas could reply.
The ride home from the military base was a talkative one.
&#8221;So, where should we begin?&#8221; Lucas asked, &#8220;I mean we have to start somewhere.&#8221;
&#8221;We? You&#8217;re the one who accepted this assignment, not me!&#8221; Nicholas Laughed.
&#8220;Oh come on Nick! Where&#8217;s your sense of adventure?&#8221;
&#8221;I have a sense of adventure, but it doesn&#8217;t involve radioactive land sites!&#8221;
&#8220;Do you always have to look into things as bad as that?&#8221;
&#8221;Um, when it is as bad as that, yes.&#8221;
&#8220;So, you don&#8217;t want to be honored by your country?&#8221;
&#8221;I already was honored! Or did you forget?&#8221;
&#8221;For stopping the launch of a nuclear missile, that looks like they launched anyway.&#8221;
&#8221;You think so?&#8221;
&#8221;Come on, when have I steered you wrong?&#8221;
&#8221;Do you really want me to list them?&#8221;
&#8220;Come to think of it, no.&#8221;
			Nicholas drove past the site of the explosion, and headed strait home.
&#8220;You were serious?&#8221; Lucas asked, &#8220;cause, if I thought you were I would have hijacked the car by now!&#8221;
&#8220;Just stopping to get some supplies.&#8221; Nicholas smirked.
&#8220;I&#8217;ve seen that look, come on, I want to go!&#8221;
&#8220;Tomorrow, even you have to agree, it&#8217;s been a tiring day!&#8221;
	The next day, Nicholas and Lucas left early morning for the attack site.
&#8220;What do you think we will find?&#8221; Lucas pondered, &#8220;I mean, you destroyed their weapon, correct?&#8221;
	&#8220;I thought I did, I wasn&#8217;t there when the C-4 detonated.&#8221; Shrugged Nicholas.
As they drove they began to see the first signs of destruction, small homes with burn markings, and windows destroyed, but nothing that any nuclear bomb would have done.
	&#8220;What happened here? Lucas asked. &#8220;Looks like a hurricane came through!&#8221;
&#8220;Most likely bandits that were attempting to take over the town, after the blast hit.&#8221; Replied Nicholas.
	The two drove on through the wreckage until they came to a hill, at least three stories high.
Nicholas stopped the vehicle and walked toward the hill. A Radiation sensor inside his watch went haywire, causing Nicholas to run to his vehicle and retrieve his radiation shield. Lucas leaped from the vehicle and ran for his own shield. Together they walked up the hill, afraid of what they would find.
	As they crossed the peak of the hill they were able to see the true destruction of the area. A five mile wide crater had appeared in front of the two, with the earth scorched black, the two couldn&#8217;t help but stare in awe.

I have very little time to create a proper story, something just came up, So i am entering one I am currently working on. Cliff Hanger just for you

Edited by Short Stuff, 21 April 2008 - 05:06.

Posted Image

#19 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:08

Sry More then 2 changes because my comp is extremely messed up right now, and my post kept appearing with random symbols on my screen :\

Will it still count Dauth?
Posted Image

#20 blacknapalm

Regular

• 173 posts
  • Projects: Gasing, Nerve Gasing, Anthraxing and Intoxicating as many victims *cough* i mean "Volunteers" as i can!

Posted 21 April 2008 - 14:57

I Saw a thread on one of the main pages about how under used this forum was...and geez..i realised i never even knew there Was a writing Forum here!
Well i thought i would try my hand at a short story also....

This is a short story by blacknapalm 22/04/08

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Following Journal notes were found and translated from the Arabic by U.S Private First Class XXX after the infamous battle of Qatar 20XX. "Let History Be The Judge of It"

The explosion above me shakes the very walls of my underground laboratory.
Cement and dust from the ceiling above falls down in billous clouds.

My assistant collapses to the floor coughing and hacking.
If not for my gas mask and goggles i would have joined him.

Damn these artillery strikes!
In desperation i clear the dust and debris from my laboratory table in one frantic sweep of my arm.
The Serum!..the precious serum is miraculously unharmed in its single green test tube.
My work..my lifes work..who could believe that 30 years of endless formuale, tests and experimentation could result
in this single unassuming green vial?

Another explosion bursts overhead, as chunks of the celing now fall around me i hear the cracked screams of my
assistant, his nerves are shot and he is of no more use to me here..

"Get Out of Here!" i yell thru my gasmask.."Bring me the Sniper NOW!"
"the..The Sniper? My assistant stutters "He will already be in the battle"
"Dont You think I Know That!?" i scream
"He is the only one i can trust! Send for him now on pain of death...YOURS!"
My assistant scrambles up the stairs to do his duty, grateful to be leaving the crumbling laboratory and my anger.

I turn my eyes again to the single test tube in my hand.

After 30 years of work my serum is finally completed and ready for the world..but it will be all be for nothing if i
cannot get it safely out of here and to the world that so desperately needs it.

For 30 years of my life i have worked on this single vial, on this Cure.
A Cure for the disease that has spread across all nations. A disease that only I can cure.
Yes Only I! For I alone know how it was created..

I take a moment to pass back throught the sands of time..to remember that one fateful meeting all those years
ago..back when i was one of the most promising and gifted young scientists in the World.

At the university of Cairo was where the meeting was held..and i can still remember the shock, the feeling of utter
horror as the 2 'gentlemen' from the C.I.A outlined the project that they wanted to recruit me for.
A Project they said! it was no project..it was murder.

The creation of an 'immunodeficiency virus'
A Viral Killer that recognised no borders, no race or creed. the perfect killer they said. By Allah! thought I!
"I Would rather die in the desert than help You" i spat on the table so great was my disgust.
"You are being irrational" said one of the men in black suits, his eyes hidden by mirrored glasses.
"The Project is almost finished and If You will not help, one of your colleagues will"
I Held my fist in the air before him and said "Never! not when i have told them the truth!"

Alas how naive i was..within the week my colleagues were all dead.. from a terrible 'accident' said the
newspaper..but i knew better! The very day after that my own laboratory exploded with me inside it...i survived only
because of the grace of God..and because a loyal colleague carried my burnt and acid scarred body from the fire.

I survived and carried on my work..supported by those in My Government who knew who the REAL Enemies were..and when
the favor of Goverments wore out as they do..i found other benefactors.. other patrons who appreciated a man of my genius.

My name however was forever sullied,
Terrorist i was named! Madman! I was hunted, forever hunted like a dog.
Terrorist they called Me?! Me? a Man who only wanted to help and cure mankind! a Madman?!

So be it!
If that is what they called me across the entire globe then that is what i would become.
I changed my name. I created terrible weapons of war..things that would blind a man, choke him or drive him to
madness. Would You say my morals had been broken? I Cared Not!
I Knew the real enemy..and what they were capable of.
I Only used my weapons against the Enemy and only on the field of Battle! But Them?! They poisoned whole nations!
Every day i saw more Die from the terrible Virus they had created..a virus now so common it was given an acronym.
A Virus i alone could..and WOULD Cure!

"General"
A cracked Voice..barely a whisper breaks me out of my thoughts of the past..i did not hear him come down the stairs,
i did not even hear him approach me, so close he could have slit my throat.
I turn to see the man i had known and trusted for over 10 years now.. my right hand man..the one i had christened 'The Sniper'
He was covered with the dust of battle, blood smeared over his desert camoflauge uniform, blood i knew was not his,
His SVD Rifle as always slung over his shoulder.

"What do You wish of Me General?" he asks.

"This vial" i say "contains the Cure, the Cure i have given 30 years of my life to.
YOU. Only YOU can get this vial past the American and Chinese Blockade Lines.
This vial MUST be taken to the Great University at Cairo..where it all began so many long years ago.
Only there will they copy and release this formulae. Only there will the World truely be able to be saved"

The Sniper takes the vial from me and carefully tucks it inside his uniform, and with a Nod of his head he turns to
go. He stops at the top of the stairs and looks down on me and for the first time i realised how old, how tired
and old and sad he looks.

"General" he said "the Infidels forces draw ever closer, You must flee this place"
I Smile and say "My work is done my friend, i have nowhere to go..and when the infidels raid this place..they
will discover i have a few more tricks up my sleeve!"

a Smile..perhaps the only smile i have ever seen ripples across the Snipers battle weary face

"Till we meet again My General" he says with a bow.
"please" i say "Call Me Doctor... Doctor Thrax"

end of journal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Breathe In..Then Out! Ahhhh! MUCH better!"

#21 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 16:30

Its under the 1100 word limit, and looks good, I recommend that people who write in notepad or similar get Open Office since it's free and use the spell checker in there. Be wary of the grammar checker, English is a bitch.

#22 blacknapalm

Regular

• 173 posts
  • Projects: Gasing, Nerve Gasing, Anthraxing and Intoxicating as many victims *cough* i mean "Volunteers" as i can!

Posted 21 April 2008 - 16:39

Phew thanks Dauth!
i just typed it up with just over an Hour time limit [im at work and had to leave to check on a server downstairs] and i had no idea how many words it had...damned if im counting em hehe...

Oh i also used your suggestions of keeping it related to E-Studios :read: and of Your suggestion of 'Righting a Wrong' as the topic.
I thought of the greatest 'wrong' i could on this planet and the story just flowed from there...it came to me as i wrote it...

hope someone likes it! ... i admit i Loved writing it... great fun!
"Breathe In..Then Out! Ahhhh! MUCH better!"

#23 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 18:07

When I said relating to ES I meant something that people here will enjoy. Not something thats specifically ES

@Shortstuff, yea yours will count, if you want (and I am going to have to trust you) you can send me your final version and I'll post it for you.

Edited by Dauth, 21 April 2008 - 18:07.

#24 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 19:53

What duz teh winnzor win?

#25 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:45

The winner gets to win, they can also if they wish, come up with another concept/title to continue the creative process. I may also mosey along to the artwork forum and get a sig made up for the winners

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users