EA Games War against Warez

237 replies to this topic

#226 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 23:23

If you read what I said you would see the answer.

What I distinguish between is the difference between piracy for personal gain and piracy for no gain

#227 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 23:27

View PostWizard, on 31 May 2008, 0:23, said:

If you read what I said you would see the answer.

What I distinguish between is the difference between piracy for personal gain and piracy for no gain

So the lack of gain can justify something?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#228 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 23:55

No imo the lack of gain can justify this, where an industry made product that costs a lot of money such as PS, Maya etc is pirated and used for no financial gain whatsoever Here there is an argument to suggest that it hurts no one. We are specifically talking about software piracy here. Nothing else.

#229 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 00:02

So cutting off your own head can be justified if it gets rid of your headache?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#230 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 00:05

Sure. It's just not smart, but there's nothing wrong with it as it hurts nobody unvoluntarily.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#231 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 00:08

How about making a relevant counter argument that relates to the topic at hand for once Strangelove. Would you kindly detail for me the "harm" done by my argument?

#232 ̀̀̀̀█

Metal box!

• 563 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:22

Anyway, about the topic: Why should you pay for something that may not be the entire experience worth the price? Why pay for something that will give you no gain? You are talking about a TOOL. When used for personal use, no actual gain, who does it hurt? NO ONE. How the fuck can you not understand this? You are not required to buy the program, so whats the hurt if you pirate a copy to make sigs?

The hurt comes from when you make money from using the TOOL. That is actual real use of a program, NOT MAKING SIGS.
And that is the only situation that will be hunted by adobe. They could give a fuck less about the pirated versions used for personal use, they rather lavish in the idea that most of the pictures modified, even for personal use, are done with their TOOL.
As for games, I still stand by my argument that they lose a POSSIBLE customer, all the real customers are still there. Obviously piracy isn't bad as EA is still alive and kicking.

And about something being good and bad. (deleted my original argument, personal attacks are not my style) Piracy isn't bad, it is good. It allows for more product to get out. it is not really stealing, it is PIRATING. There is a difference. Stop saying that it is stealing. Stealing is TAKING, not copying.
Something good and bad at once. Since you are a firm believer in religion form what I gather, any human dying is a bad thing. What if he is a murderer?
A meteor strikes the earth, wiping out all life, but also all disease. good and bad. (lol AWDC)
A person steals a loaf of bread to feed his/her kids, saving them from starvation. Good and bad. Damnit you are a closed minded fool.

O yea, and the LACK of gain can make something inconsequential. No harm done, only good, in the forms of richer communities.

and I reiterate Wizards post. If you do not, I will request a ban. Almost every post you have made in this topic was a short one line post with no real meat, just an evasion of the subject at hand, or worse, a misdirection so people stray away form the topic. This is a bannable offense IIRC. DO NOT make me go all out.

Edited by ̀̀̀̀█, 31 May 2008 - 05:26.

I need sigs.
Yay first comment! Thank you Comr4de!

Posted Image
If I were an alien from a distant world, unhampered by the endless void of space for whatever reason, I would stay the hell away from these primitive, monkey-like creatures from Earth who are too busy slaughtering each other over subjects such as religion or ethnicity, who pollute their one and only planet and who praise mindless pop-culture personalities more than scientists and philosophers.

#233 Thunderstruck

Veteran

• 424 posts
  • Projects: Photoshop fan.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:48

Also, you do not have to do anything. You "should" pay for the program, but you don't "have" to.
Posted Image

My personal sig. More to come. :D

#234 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:18

Box (ex-pyrobob) - Whilst I appreciate your support of my argument you are going to have to calm down. There is no need for that sort of reaction. Be very careful how you follow that post.

#235 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:46

View Post̀̀̀̀█, on 31 May 2008, 5:22, said:

Anyway, about the topic: Why should you pay for something that may not be the entire experience worth the price? Why pay for something that will give you no gain? You are talking about a TOOL. When used for personal use, no actual gain, who does it hurt? NO ONE. How the fuck can you not understand this? You are not required to buy the program, so whats the hurt if you pirate a copy to make sigs?

The hurt comes from when you make money from using the TOOL. That is actual real use of a program, NOT MAKING SIGS.
And that is the only situation that will be hunted by adobe. They could give a fuck less about the pirated versions used for personal use, they rather lavish in the idea that most of the pictures modified, even for personal use, are done with their TOOL.
As for games, I still stand by my argument that they lose a POSSIBLE customer, all the real customers are still there. Obviously piracy isn't bad as EA is still alive and kicking.

And about something being good and bad. (deleted my original argument, personal attacks are not my style) Piracy isn't bad, it is good. It allows for more product to get out. it is not really stealing, it is PIRATING. There is a difference. Stop saying that it is stealing. Stealing is TAKING, not copying.
Something good and bad at once. Since you are a firm believer in religion form what I gather, any human dying is a bad thing. What if he is a murderer?
A meteor strikes the earth, wiping out all life, but also all disease. good and bad. (lol AWDC)
A person steals a loaf of bread to feed his/her kids, saving them from starvation. Good and bad. Damnit you are a closed minded fool.

O yea, and the LACK of gain can make something inconsequential. No harm done, only good, in the forms of richer communities.

This man knows what hes talking.
Posted Image

#236 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:47

View PostWizard, on 31 May 2008, 1:08, said:

How about making a relevant counter argument that relates to the topic at hand for once Strangelove. Would you kindly detail for me the "harm" done by my argument?

Give this man a medal, he's stumped me. My gut tells me that something is wrong with pirating, but I just can't find any real reason. I feel that the dots are there, I just don't know how to connect them. My guess is that it has something to do with The Law of Causality: eating your cake won't cause its existence. However, I really don't know how to refute you. I'll cede this point to you until I can come up with a reason that you are wrong.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#237 Crush3r

Veteran

• 438 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 15:08

Well, in the first place, we're not talking about piracy (in the literal sense). Lack of gain does justify it, but it doesn't need to be justified anyway, because it lacks the premise. Leaving information you have to be distributed freely is equivalent to doing nothing, and since you are not required to do anything (having a piece of information does not represent an obligation, like having a job), so it can't be acted upon.

Edited by Crush3r, 25 June 2008 - 15:08.

#238 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 18:23

Hmm, 3 installation limit? Sounds a lot like Windows XP to me, and we all know that MIcrosoft just did that to make more money. Luckily, for those of us with connections (like family friends that work at MIT, where they let you download the server edition of XP, which can be reused infinite times) don't have such problems. Anyways, this will piss off the customers so much, this is like EA implementing the thing in battlefield 2142 which means that only one account can be played on a certain game disc. So, with the three install rule, all those people that have machines that get FUBAR every now and then (overclockers mostly), they will have to buy a new game disc every month or so. this will ruin the modding and online community. EA is shooting itself in the foot if they implement this. It's like, what's the point of stopping people from copying games if nobody buys the game in the first place. The majority of gamers still buy their games.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users