Overdose Anime Reviews

17 replies to this topic

#1 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:26

Looking for something new to watch? Can't tell a good Anime from a bad one? No sweat! Overdose offers 20 years of Anime insight. Ever since I watched that first episode of Macross I've been hooked ever since!

I'm open minded to most genres except harem and Shoujo material. Problem is that I've ended up watching many of those as well due to my Ex (who is a fanatic of those genres) so I'm more familiar with them than I'm supposed to be. I also won't be rating/listing anything longer than 26 episodes except a few special exceptions.

I'll add Anime I've watched the most recently first, add my favorite Animes after and the rest later. I'm quite selective when it comes to Anime (quality over quantity is the way to go) so expect some generous scores at first. Expect a lot of Anime you've never heard about before as well.

I'll be using the simple A-D scoring system and I'll be grading Anime in a few areas. You won't be seeing anything under D- because I'm wise enough to stay away from these things.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some terms you'll see used here:

Otaku: A hardcore anime fan. An walking encyclopedia of all things anime and an obsessive collector . Though true and pure otakus can only exist in Japan, western colloquialism uses the word in a broader term such as all anime fans in general.

Shounen: Means boy or young man. However it also means the genre which that that targets that age range. This genre is the driving force of anime as whole considering most animes belong to this genre. Shounen animes like to feature plenty of action and sometimes gore.

Shoujo: Means girl or young woman. This word will be used to describe the genre which target that group of viewers. Though it's dwarfed by the Shounen genre, it's been gaining much popularity since animes like Sailor Moon. Shoujo anime focuses on drama, bishounen and love stories.

Bishounen: Pretty boy. Those are always present in anime that wants to draw a female audience. Bishounen are usually skinny (sometimes slightly muscular) and can have androgynous facial features. Famous bishounen: Sephiroth, Tuxedo Mask, Van Fanel , Soujirou Seta, among many.

Harem: This is a sub-genre of anime used by fans. This anime features many girls and one male protagonist (or the other way around). It's very popular among teenagers of both sexes. Famous Harem animes: Love Hina, Tenchi Muyo, among many others.
--------------------------------------------------------

----------------------
Macross Frontier Review (In progress - currently at Episode 07)
----------------------
One of the longest running Anime series and one of the most beloved as well. Macross has returned for it's 20th anniversary. How this does this latest installment please this long time fan?

Macross always follow a rather successful formula that has made many Anime follow since it's first appearance.

Macross always features:

Transforming mechs.

Music.

Big guns.

Big explosions.

Aliens.

Huge ships.

Thrilling dogfights in deep space (occasionally atmospherical as well)

Trendy/cool sci-fi themes.

Macross Frontier also follows that formula. You'd think it would've gotten old by now but it actually hasn't. Sporting a stellar budget, Macross Frontier features that latest in animation technology Japan has to offer. Follow that with good directing and a superb production and you have a blockbuster. After all that eye candy we have a good (not stellar) voice cast and everyone's favorite music composer (Yoko Kanno if you aren't in the know). A massive audiophile treat indeed.

The action in this Anime is fast and true to Macross style there's thousands of things going on at once and in great detail. You'll find yourself viewing again some parts in slow motion. That much attention to detail makes it worthy of the Macross name. This anime might do two things to you:

1)Immense nostalgia due to Minmei's songs, the speaking (and persistent!) soda vending machines, the trash collectors, giant aliens and four barreled artillery mechs

2)Love even the little details like Ranka's cellphone/PDA and all the wonders they made to make Frontier feel like a really cool and living city.

After all this, it's easy to notice Macross Frontier is a strong candidate for Anime of the Year.

---------------------------
This Anime is still airing. The score will be updated as the series progresses.
---------------------
Overall: A
---------------------
Animation: A
---------------------
Art: A+
---------------------
Music: A-
---------------------
Overdose's Tilt: A+
----------------------

Next: Hellsing Ultimate (coming soon)

Edited by Overdose, 25 May 2008 - 17:34.

Posted Image

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:41

Is there any anime without skinny under dressed flat chested girls pretending to be men or men pointedly not having sex with tons of cute girls that they have access to?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:48

There's actually plenty. You haven't watched any good Anime it seems.
Posted Image

#4 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:44

indeed what he said ^ nice review by the way

#5 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 17:45

----------------------------------
Hellsing Ultimate Review (In progress - currently at OVA 4)
----------------------------------

Hellsing has returned and this time it sticks to it's Manga roots. Returning as an OVA, this Anime has been receiving far more attention and care from the makers. For fans of gore, now that it's no longer a TV series, now has the due amount it deserves. Sporting great animation, the characters can truly transmit their emotions through their facial expressions. Every detail is taken seriously here, from a wrinkle on the forehead to reflections on a character's eyes.

The dark setting unique to Vampire Anime is always well welcomed. Details such as the moon turning to various tones of red as if it was turning bloody, the moonlight adorning everything it touches, an apocalyptical and dark atmosphere, characters can be emotional from one second and become truly monstrous at the next. Even the ghouls (flesh eating zombie-like slaves to vampires) all look unique and detailed which is quite possibly a first for animation as a whole.

The audio department also impresses. From the sound of a bullet loading into a chamber, to the sound of flesh being ripped apart from the body, it's all there. The music takes a more background approach this time, but there's still some tracks that manage to stand out and are quite captivating. The humor, oftenly used as a rest, is well done but it may take an Otaku to understand some bits. The spirit of Seras' gun, is actually a fun spin at Bruce Willis.

Hellsing is truly a wonderful anime. Even if you are not into the genre, odds are that you'll find it very enjoyable.

---------------------
This anime is still airing. Score will be updated as it progresses.
---------------------
Overall: A
---------------------
Animation: A+
---------------------
Art: A
---------------------
Music: B+
---------------------
----------------------

Next: Claymore (coming soon)

Edited by Overdose, 23 May 2008 - 17:48.

Posted Image

#6 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 18:21

Are you gonna reviews anime's like Dragonball Z aswell? They are quite long...
Posted Image

#7 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 23 May 2008 - 20:04

I can't wait for the next Hellsing OVA :P .
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#8 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 23 May 2008 - 20:11

View PostOverdose, on 21 May 2008, 23:26, said:

Looking for something new to watch? Can't tell a good Anime from a bad one? No sweat! Overdose offers 20 years of Anime insight. Ever since I watched that first episode of Macross I've been hooked ever since!

I'm open minded to most genres except harem and Shoujo material. Problem is that I've ended up watching many of those as well due to my Ex (who is a fanatic of those genres) so I'm more familiar with them than I'm supposed to be. I also won't be rating/listing anything longer than 26 episodes except a few special exceptions.
[...]

Chances are he wont :P

Also for those who don't know, it was actually 'dose who brought me back into the Anime scene. I gotta say, from the ones he's shown me, none of them have I not liked. Especially Claymore! Can't wait to see what you have in store for that. As a matter of fact, Claymore was the one he showed me first, and practically made me a fan immediately.

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#9 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 21:29

View PostCrazykenny, on 23 May 2008, 15:21, said:

Are you gonna reviews anime's like Dragonball Z aswell? They are quite long...

I've watched Dragon Ball Z but I won't be reviewing it.

Some other animes you won't see reviewed here:

Pokemon

Yugi-oh

Beyblade

Digimon

Sonic X
Posted Image

#10 Mighty BOB!

Semi-Pro

• 244 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:10

This thread is good, I need new stuff to watch.
WOL nick: migtybob

Wesforce said:

We are living in a post-common sense society.

#11 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 19:40

----------------------
Claymore Review
----------------------

The Manga saga is animated. How it compares? Let's find out, shall we?

In a world plagued by youma (japanese for demon or monster), who feast on the flesh and organs of humans. The only one hope for humanity are half demon warriors who in most part unwillingly go through the flesh fusion process. People call them 'Claymores' due to the large swords they wield in battle. All Claymores are female. Because of the eerie glow on their eyes they are called 'Silver Eyed Witches'.

The anime has a very good start, which will keep you on the edge of your seat. The characters are very articulate and pleasing to the eye. The quality seems to drop as the series progress but the quality returns on the more important parts of the series. It's mostly loyal to the Manga at first but near the ending everything turns different. This Anime suffers from the same problem Hellsing (TV) does. It has a low budget, was rushed and there wasn't enough material to properly complete the Anime.

We get to see plenty of the world as the story progress but the art in this anime is average at best. The characters also visit many towns that seem complete clones of each other. The natural surroundings are mostly plain and uninspired. The only thing that manage to stand out are the sexy demon slayer women. The Anime also failed to properly transmit some magic from the fantasy setting of the Manga.

The audio department has some redeeming qualities. The soundtrack isn't great but it's good and they manage to use the perfect track for the perfect moment seemingly. The voice acting is simple excellent. Even with so many female characters, the quality is "superb" and the voices fit their characters very well. Some of the performances can leave quite of an impression. I'll never forget these characters due to voice talent spent on them. A five star voice cast with a five star performance.

In the end, I recommend you read the Manga instead. You'll love it. However if you are into the 'women kick serious ass' genre, with plenty of gore and happen to like anime with swords... You'll likely get a fun spin of the Anime as well.

Final Review
Overall: B
Animation: B
Art: C+
Music: B
Overdose's Tilt: B+

Next: Vampire Knight (coming soon)
Posted Image

#12 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 20:29

Just to add to that, Claymore is still a very solid anime, the characters are much more interesting than what I've seen in other ones so far and drives you to know what happens next. While everything else may not be spectacular it isnt bad at all and it's still enjoyable.

Once you're done with the anime I would strongly suggest reading the manga. The art style remains the same and it continues the story where it left off from the anime, even though it was altered a little just read back a chapter or two and you'll find out what really happens.

Either way, its very solid and entertaining and I would recommend either reading the manga then watching the anime or vice versa. The characters are rich and interesting and the story itself is great as well. If I may, my little overall tilt would be A- for Claymore.

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#13 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 16:24

---------------------------------
Vampire Knight Review (In progress - currently at Episode 7)
---------------------------------

A charming vampire-themed anime hits the TV screens in Japan.

Warning: This is Shoujo material. So unless you like to ogle at bishounen, you may want to avoid this anime at all costs. Seriously.

Vampire Knight is about vampires coexisting with humans. At school there's a day and night class. What people don't know is that the night class has a very dark secret. Drinking blood within the campus is strictly prohibited.

Vampire heart has somewhat of an original art style. The colors black, white and red are predominant. As expected from Shoujo anime, character designs are very good since Japanese girls are all for the eye candy. The male characters are however very alike, sometimes you'll only tell them apart due to the voices. The animation can be quite fluid sometimes but also not. The creators are so busy trying to make the characters be good looking all the time you won't manage to see like anger in a character's facial expression.

The Audio design somewhat lacks. I can't even remember if there's any music besides the opening and credits roll (if it did it was pathetically forgettable). However the voice acting is quite good. No complaints on that area whatsoever.

Bottom of the line, unless you like to ogle at pretty boys and are into school dramas avoid this at all costs. Only consider watching this if you are a true vampire anime hardcore fan. Should you be one however, I believe you still won't be pleased sadly.

---------------------
This anime is still airing. Score will be updated as it progresses.
---------------------
Overall: C
---------------------
Animation: B-
---------------------
Art: B+
---------------------
Music: C
---------------------
Overdose's Tilt: C-

Next: Escaflowne (coming soon)

Edited by Overdose, 27 May 2008 - 15:04.

Posted Image

#14 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:35

----------------------------
Vision of Escaflowne (TV) Review
----------------------------

A high school girl suddenly finds herself in a strange and magical world after an unexpected meeting with a dragonslayer. This beautiful world's peace is being threatened as the powerful Zaibach Empire seeks to expand, absorbing or destroying everything in it's path. She and her new friends unite and attempt to stop the Empire in this epic adventure that will lead to a lot of discoveries and total war. Why was this girl from the 'Mystic Moon' brought there? What is the Empire's true agenda? What exactly is Escaflowne? Those questions and more will be answered as you learn more.

Man, where do I begin? This is like one of the true gems of all Anime. The world is rich with detail and beautiful, the characters are lifelike and full of personality. Watching this anime is like traveling to the limits of the fantasy genre. The art is simply awesome, the anime for it's age is still very vivid and full of color. Mechanical design is impressive as well, this is one of the last animes with high quality hand drawn mechs and vehicles. From mechs, to huge airships the detail is excellent. The animation is quite good as well, movements are fluid and well detailed.

Sound wise it also impresses. While the voice acting is top notch even with a long cast of characters. The soundtrack has the best classical score of anime history. This is likely one of Yoko Kanno's best works, if not the best. The soundtrack is really amazing and with the superb plot and rich characters it brings emotions to scenes with unprecedented levels.

Escaflowne is a five star anime. It's one of the greatest animes of all time. This is a must see and one you surely won't regret watching.

--------------
Final Review
--------------
Overall: A+
--------------
Animation: A
---------------
Art: A+
---------------
Music: A+
---------------
---------------

Next: Noir

Edited by Overdose, 07 June 2008 - 22:50.

Posted Image

#15 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 14:05

Nice, will be checking out Macross Frontier sometime, since I loved the original Macross. What's the best subbing group that does it?

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#16 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 18:13

Sorry for the long delay but Lunar and GG are both good.
Posted Image

#17 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:49

You should post your comments on Shikabane :whaa:

Posted Image

#18 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:44

I have my blog for that now :dope:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users