• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 02 June 2008 - 20:25

This is terrible news :(.

I Power
Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostInsomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#2 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 02 June 2008 - 20:31

Not only internet, thw WHOLE WORLD, Meaby...
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=11iCmzGnOI8

Edited by -Drag-, 02 June 2008 - 20:32.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 20:39

But but - I won't be able to take control of the forum... I mean - have fun on the forum sufficiently by that point. Kinda sucks a bit, but not the end of the world.

Or is it?!
For there can be no death without life.

#4 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 02 June 2008 - 20:40

The Internet itself will go to hell and no longer be fun and will die.
Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostInsomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#5 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 20:55

Huh they are gonna do the same thing Virgin wanted only its even worse?!

Well i have to say is "Good luck at that".
Posted Image

#6 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 02 June 2008 - 21:12

Already contacted everyone on my email lists. :lol:

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#7 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 21:46

Try contacting your state's senators, or your country's leaders. If it gets popular enough, the government will end this just to get more votes.

#8 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 21:51

They are honestly going to have a hard time if they think they can get away with that.
I say let them try. heh.
Posted Image

#9 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 02 June 2008 - 22:36

How can this be true at all?
Is it actually true?

#10 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 23:28

View PostSoul, on 2 Jun 2008, 20:25, said:

This is terrible news :(.

I Power

Fat chance.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#11 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 23:33

Posted Image

Why can't they just leave us alone =[
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 02 June 2008 - 23:55

I do despair for society sometimes. That change is fed by pure greed. While people die from malnurtrition, lack of water and violence these companies that already have HUGE profits want more, greedy fucking bastards! Well I say FUCK YOU, ISP COMPANIES. IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO THAT, YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMING!!

Stuff like this really makes me generally angry. * Hits angry wall *
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Beta9

Semi-Pro

• 265 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:00

*sigh* it's a bunch of greedy media companies and networks wanting to get more revenue...
the good and bad of capitalism...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:04

View PostIon Cannon!, on 2 Jun 2008, 23:55, said:

I do despair for society sometimes. That change is fed by pure greed. While people die from malnurtrition, lack of water and violence these companies that already have HUGE profits want more, greedy fucking bastards! Well I say FUCK YOU, ISP COMPANIES. IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO THAT, YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMING!!

Stuff like this really makes me generally angry. * Hits angry wall *

View PostBeta9, on 3 Jun 2008, 0:00, said:

*sigh* it's a bunch of greedy media companies and networks wanting to get more revenue...
the good and bad of capitalism...

Don't make me lecture you about greed & selfishness & capitalism & Objectivism & the fact that these things are all inherently good.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#15 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:08

You believe they are good. There's a difference.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#16 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:10

View PostCodeCat, on 3 Jun 2008, 0:08, said:

You believe they are good. There's a difference.

Oh God not this Subjectivist stuff again...
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#17 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:19

Like I said before, if you can't discuss other people's views on an equal basis, don't even bother posting. The main difference between subjectivism and objectivism is the fact that objectivism assumes that everyone is an objectivist, since otherwise it would itself be subjective. It leaves no room for dissent or discussion, and frankly, makes you sound very self-righteous. And that's never a good thing in an open discussion forum.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#18 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 00:35

View PostCodeCat, on 3 Jun 2008, 0:19, said:

Like I said before, if you can't discuss other people's views on an equal basis, don't even bother posting. The main difference between subjectivism and objectivism is the fact that objectivism assumes that everyone is an objectivist, since otherwise it would itself be subjective. It leaves no room for dissent or discussion, and frankly, makes you sound very self-righteous. And that's never a good thing in an open discussion forum.

I am discussing other people's views on an equal basis. You maybe confusing that with assuming all views have equal merit, which I am not. I don't really understand what you mean by that second sentence.

About self-righteousness:
-I do think I am right.
-If someone can show me that I'm wrong I will change my views.
-I don't know how to believe something I think is wrong.

Now, on the contrary, it is the belief that all views have equal merit that silences debate. If they are all proclaimed to be equal, then there is no point in discussing and measuring their merit.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#19 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:16

The man brings up a fair point. If all is equal and no idea bears more merit than another, how can one idea be thought to have more merit than another if that is impossible? Such a situation cannot exist.

As far as this topic goes: So what? They're trying to make money. It isn't going to work. They will lose large quantities of customers who don't care for what will be available package-wise. Because there is an option that exists: Don't use the internet. An internet boycott can work just fine. And if it can't, then I am sickened by peoples' lack of ability to refrain from internet use for a period of time.

-Boidy

#20 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:44

Well, the internet is incredibly useful. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually our brains evolve to maximize efficiency in dealing with the untold amounts of data we have instant access to now, instead of data being hard to find and not much of it, as it was before its inception.

I don't really think this will happen, but, that said, it is an incredibly stupid decision of the part of telecoms companies. I will not vilify them for trying to make money, but I will definitely not be stopped from criticizing them on a bad business decision. The heart of making money is about providing a good product, not ripping someone off as many people believe. By neutralizing net neutrality, they would be providing an infinitely inferior product.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#21 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:32

Meh, it's not going to work. Even if they try to restrict the internet like that, they'll lose a lot of customers. Their only hope will be those people who didn't have a chance to see the "free" internet - our current internet - so they only know their restricted version with those packages. Every other sane being who isn't necessarily dependant on the web will probably stop using it instead of joining the new internet. Their profits will sink and eventually, the whole thing will turn out as a failure. I still doubt that it'll even go that far...

View Post-Drag-, on 2 Jun 2008, 22:31, said:

Not only internet, thw WHOLE WORLD, Meaby...
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=11iCmzGnOI8

Stopped watching when I read words like "religions" and "antichrist".

#22 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:34

Shhh... 2012 is when the aliens invade and we start our New World Order!
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#23 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:29

This will go the way of the dodo. It's all well and good for mulitnationals to threaten such things but in practise almost impossible to achieve. Bottom line they need customers to view their content or they fold. A monthly subscription isn't going to be very useful to them if only 5% of the current net users pay for it. Personally I think we pay too much for the connection already. So more charges are quite frankly, bollox. It's like Sky here in the UK, the world and his wife shit themselves that they'd loose all their TV to a subscription service. Terrestrial TV is still there, and guess what, we have about 30 channels more than before! The corps forget that their content isn't what the net is about. ES, facebook, etc is what it's about. Interaction without boundaries. A corporation can't give me that and because of that they will fail! MAJOR FILE

#24 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:46

@People that doubt this will go through:

Companies may make less money from the customers, but there will still be people who use them and probably people who pay extra to view minority sites. However they will then have a second source of income... the companies that want to be on premium services, and they will most likely paying stupid amounts of money.

Now I'm not saying this will or won't go through, but I see no use in simply dismissing it completely. If everyone simply dismisses it as simply "it's not gonna happen" and the ISPs meet no resistance, then guess what? It will most likely happen.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#25 NanSolo

Amateur

• 100 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:04

More than just blocking connections entirely, it'd probably be better for them to adjust the speed for various sites. You might end with with a service where you have to pay to go on commercial sites at full speed (e.g. Google/YouTube, Facebook, AOL, etc) but don't to go on non-commercial (e.g. ES, etc) at a much slower connection. This way you get income off the commercial sites that want to join the premium tier without entirely losing the non-commercial 'geeky sites' market that are also the ones most likely to fight back.

Posted Image
Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users