Best Attack Helicopter

33 replies to this topic

Poll: World's Most Capable Attack Helicopter (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these helicopters is the best?

1. Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow (13 votes [35.14%])

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

2. Mil Mi-24PN 'Hind-F' (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. Mil Mi-28N Night Hunter 'Havoc' (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. Kamov Ka-50 Black Shark/Werewolf 'Hokum-A' (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

5. Kamov Ka-52 Alligator 'Hokum-B' (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

6. Eurocopter EC 665/PAH-2 Tiger (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

7. Bell AH-1Z Viper (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

8. AgustaWestland A129/AW129 Mangusta (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 22:16

I'm not ranking it next to the hind, as the Hind was a dedicated attack helicopter that happens to be able to transport troops (and airlift light tanks and such) while the Blackhawk is a dedicated transport chopper that was modified (for the AH-60 form) to be able to attack.

I was just one upping all those people that said the Hind was the best because it could attack and transport.
Posted Image

#27 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 24 June 2008 - 22:20

View PostEddy01741, on 25 Jun 2008, 7:37, said:

Actually, the hind has a top speed of 208 mph and a maximum load of a little less than 8000 lbs, the blackhawk has a top speed of 223mph and a maximum load of about 12,000lbs.

You have to take into account how fast the Blackhawk can go will all the bells and whistles attached on its fixed wings and max. troop load -- I know the Hind will be faster fully loaded compared to the BH because it was designed to troop carrier / assault heli hybrid, while the BH is an utility chopper which can do several things the Hind can't.

Also troop capacity != max. load.

EDIT: ninja'd for2 posts D:

Edited by Waris, 24 June 2008 - 22:21.

#28 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 00:49

Sheesh, I regret bringing the whole thing up in the first place now. Anyways, the blackhawk can carry 14 troops, the hind can carry 8. And really, top speed doesn't make that much of a diffeence if its just a few mph.

I think we should just forget about the whole thing about the battlehawk.
Posted Image

#29 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 25 June 2008 - 00:55

Absolutely, when it comes down to it they're two different choppers for two different jobs, and while they may share attributes it's still not too fair to compare them really. I'm afraid it's a bit late to add it into the poll though.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Lucid

Professional

• 312 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 18:20

since when is the AH1 called the "Viper"? i thought it was the super cobra
Posted Image

#31 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 18:27

Yeah, true, the AH-1Z I believe is actually called the king cobra, its the one with the four rotor blades and all.

Anyways, the Viper I believe is another nickname for the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
Posted Image

#32 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 26 June 2008 - 00:29

No, the AH-1Z is definitely named the Viper. The base AH-1 (and the G, S and F models) are all named just the Cobra, the AH-1J and AH-1T are the called SeaCobra, and the AH-1W is the SuperCobra. The AH-1Z upgrade is properly known as the Viper, was also known as the CobraVenom during development, and has also become known as another variant of the SuperCobra thanks to the fact that it basically is. There were two King Cobras: both were variants of the AH-1Z, one of which was an experimental version with two engines and the other of which was a joint US-Turkey project which was later cancelled.
Edit - typo.

Edited by CommanderJB, 26 June 2008 - 00:30.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 00:54

Damnit, your right (meh, I hate being wrong), did a little googling, took a while to find the definite answer, but: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa37...106/ai_n8960278

"The names Viper and Venom are now listed in Department of Defense documents as the official names of the AH-1Z "
Posted Image

#34 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:19

White papers can sometimes misleading from the actual combat situation.

Would the Rise of The Reds/Shockwave/etc. mod team to provide a simulation?

Just asking.

P.S. I'm still holding out for the Hind.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users