Short Story Competition #3

27 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 17:48

First order of business, congratulations to Nansolo and Overdose for victory last time round, I am trying to get you the winner sigs ASAP.

After reviewing the poll, the rules for this competition are as follows.

Word limit 500 - 3000, recommended max of 2000 since multiple entries will get hard to read.
You may not use a character already described on EStudios but the setting may be reused. (Setting = 6 + 3 votes, No setting = 8 votes)
Theme is End of the world

Edit: Forgot the date for entries, Midnight 14 July (BST, UTC+1)

I wish everyone the best of luck, and happy writing.

Edit again: For supporters the new code for the sig linking to here is.
&#91;url=&#34;http&#58;//forum.cncreneclips.com/index.php?showtopic=25280&#34;&#93;&#91;img&#93;http&#58;//i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/thedrofevil/ssotw2sf1.png&#91;/img&#93;&#91;/url&#93;

Edited by Dauth, 16 June 2008 - 11:39.

#2 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 15 June 2008 - 22:32

End of the world? Hopefully mine won't seem like a Hollywood script.

Jokes aside, I'll be entering as usual.
Posted Image

#3 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:46

Hmm...Ze End of Ze World you say? I've had this idea stuck in my head for a while now...

"Half Past The Apocalypse" Copyright The RAND Corporation.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#4 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:49

http://www.rand.org/

Can't copyright to a corporation that you don't belong to. :lol:

I'm wanting to enter if I find the motivation.

-Boidy

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:33

I have a concept, and if I get round to it, will enter. BTW entry date added (looks like I need practice at the rules bit still)

#6 NanSolo

Amateur

• 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:37

REM, on 'It's The End Of The World', said:

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,
an aeroplane - Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn,
world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength,
The ladder starts to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.
Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing!
Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right - right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

End of the world huh? Probably the only topic that provides more dark comedy dialogue than dead bodies :P Too easy though. We'll see what I can come up with.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 14:11

Good luck to all entrants and participants!
Posted Image

#8 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 00:08

View PostC. Boidy, on 16 Jun 2008, 6:49, said:

http://www.rand.org/

Can't copyright to a corporation that you don't belong to. :P

I'm wanting to enter if I find the motivation.

-Boidy

[plotrelevantmaterial]
That's just our PR front...

I'm not going to say much, but I will advise you to pay attention to who has worked with us in the past:

* Henry H. Arnold — General, United States Air Force — RAND founder
* Bruno Augenstein — V.P., physicist, mathematician and space scientist
* Paul Baran — one of the developers of packet switching which was used in Arpanet and later networks like the Internet
* Harold L. Brode — physicist, leading nuclear weapons effects expert
* Bernard Brodie — Military strategist and nuclear architect
* David S. C. Chu — Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, 2001–present
* Samuel Cohen — inventor of the neutron bomb in 1958
* Franklin R. Collbohm — Aviation Engineer, Douglas Aircraft Company — RAND founder and former director and trustee
* George Dantzig — mathematician, creator of the simplex algorithm for linear programming
* James F. Digby — American Military Strategist, author of first treatise on precision guided munitions 1949 - 2007
* Stephen H Dole — Author of the pivotal work "Habitable Planets for man."
* Donald Wills Douglas, Sr. — President, Douglas Aircraft Company — RAND founder
* Daniel Ellsberg — leaker of the Pentagon Papers
* James J. Gillogly — cryptographer and computer scientist
* Cecil Hastings — programmer, wrote software engineering classic, Approximations for Digital Computers (Princeton 1955)
* Herman Kahn — theorist on nuclear war and one of the founders of scenario planning
* Zalmay Khalilzad — U.S. Ambassador to United Nations
* Henry Kissinger— US Secretary of State (1973-1977); National Security Advisor (1969-1975); Nobel Peace Prize Winner (1973)
* Lewis "Scooter" Libby — Dick Cheney's former Chief of Staff
* Andrew W. Marshall — military strategist, director of the US DoD Office of Net Assessment
* Douglas Merrill — Former Google CIO & President of EMI's digital music division
* John Forbes Nash, Jr. — Nobel prize-winning mathematician
* John von Neumann — mathematician, pioneer of the modern digital computer
* Allen Newell — artificial intelligence
* Arthur E. Raymond — Chief Engineer, Douglas Aircraft Company — RAND founder
* Condoleezza Rice — former trustee 1991–1997 and current Secretary of State for the United States (as of May 2006), former intern
* Donald Rumsfeld — Chairman of Board from 1981–1986; 1995-1996 and Secretary of Defense for the United States from 1975 to 1977 and 2001 to 2006.
* James Schlesinger — former Secretary of Defense and former Secretary of Energy
* Lloyd Shapley — mathematician and game theorist
* Albert Wohlstetter — Mathematician and Cold-War Strategist
* Roberta Wohlstetter — Policy analyst and military historian

[/plotrelevantmaterial]
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#9 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:14

Come on guys, lets get back to the stories.

#10 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:38

Aww damn. I can't choose what to do. Too many ideas. Objectivist Atlas Shrugged style apocalypse or cliche conspiracy theory lore or nuclear comedy/drama or post-apocalyptic Fallout themed story? Sweet Zombie Jesus I can't decide!
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#11 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:56

Sweet Zombie Jezus eats the world?
Posted Image

#12 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:40

I have a nice interesting idea but time is against me due to another project.

#13 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:54

Is it alright if our story has some political content?

*thinks*

Shit more ideas! Something Vonngeut-esque or something about environmentalism killing us?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#14 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:57

I would prefer it so emphasise the fiction in the story should you have any political content and normally would say no, but in the case of this story political content will help develop the stories better.

#15 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:43

View PostDauth, on 19 Jun 2008, 16:57, said:

I would prefer it so emphasise the fiction in the story should you have any political content and normally would say no, but in the case of this story political content will help develop the stories better.

Involvement among USA, China, Russia, ECA, and GLA will surely add zest to the story. :P
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#16 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 17:13

Lest I might start brainstorming this weekend..
Posted Image

#17 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 23:05

Well here is my entry, defiantly not at my best, but I don't have time to make a better piece.

Most people would call the end of humanity ‘The end of the world’. I am inclined to disagree. Humans are nothing special, if they died out peacefully then it is fair to assume the world would continue, and quite possibly something new could evolve. No, I intend to discuss the real end of the world and this end of the world happened while I was onboard the International Space Station. This apocalypse forms my last recording, it has not only wiped out every multi-cellular organism; it has also caused us to slowly descend into the atmosphere where we will be burnt up by the friction of the atmosphere.

It happened like this…

“Good morning and welcome to BBC Breakfast news. I’m Andrew Trainer and this is Hannah Dunhill. Breaking news today, the price of a barrel of Brent Crude oil has broken $1,000 sparking fears of a global recession as stocks run dry. In response to fears the OPEC oil-cartel has increased production for a second time this month. In other news Britain are due to take over EU presidency next month and will try to use this to push for more aid to rebuild Aberdeen after cyclone Eva battered the coastal city.”

“Indeed, and the expedition trying to recreate Robert Falcon Scott’s doomed attempt to reach the South Pole has today ran into unexpected difficulties with both the standard compass and the GPS systems malfunctioning.”

How the United States kept us in this Space Station I don’t know, probably the missiles on its underbelly pointed at most of Asia, not to mention the huge TV revenues for being the only Ultra High Definition transmitter in the Northern Hemisphere. Ten years ago the USAF installed an outer space ready chain gun, this cut through satellites ran by the competition, leaving the ISS free to dominate media coverage across the globe, and with fuel prices so high, no one can afford to launch a new independent network.

The GPS was so reliable that no one thought about leaving their house without some form of locator on them, the idea it had broken down shocked everyone. The GPS which would drive a car for you still ran from the atomic clocks put into space decades earlier by the US army. The new Gemini system created by the EU had caught a dose of radiation sickness and rained high explosive death over a large portion of Asia.

Traffic was blocked up. London’s grid was locked for the first time since the M25 was demolished. Overnight deliveries failed to reach their location, people died in ambulances unable to get to the hospitals. All because of the GPS system failing, but the GPS system wasn’t broken, the planet was. A few scientists voiced reasoned arguments but their undervalued contribution was lost in the melee of witch doctors and mad bishops. The media had a field day. Elvis was sighted on 27 different occasions, once complete with his blue suede shoes.

Well the next day, the planet showed that the scientists were correct, however the Earth wasn’t broken exactly. The Earth’s Magnetic field battered by eons of cosmic rays and drained by millennia of imparting a field into iron had shifted. This stark change affected the rotation of the planet. With the new North Pole in French Polynesia, the South Pole in Saudi Arabia, and the equator brushing South America and Northern Europe. The shift caused massive tidal waves to sweep every coast, dependant on geography some people had six hours before the tides washed in. Not that it mattered, the vast portion of the remaining oil was being quickly buried under two miles of ice, along with the inhabitants. With a dysfunctional GPS the fleeing masses drove to high ground, looting and pillaging as they went. The tidal waves ripped northwards, South America due to its Southern point fared better than most. Australia, South Asia, large portions of Africa, the entire Mediterranean much of the Southern United States lost under walls of water miles high.

The next broadcast came by radio, “This is the Acting Prime Minister Robert Spencer, in this disaster, everyone has lost someone, but Britain will weather this storm. We who stopped the Luftwaffe, we who said no to Slavery, we who every year hope for two dry weeks at Wimbledon, we can survive. Gather what you can carry and head into central England, this way the floods can hopefully be avoided. The army are on hand to aid you. Remember everyone, England expects” they had twelve hours before the next deluge from the South. In the intervening time, all countries with a coastal North were swamped. Northern Africa was horrifyingly battered by the waves carrying the dead of Spain to Turkey.

Up in my metal capsule, alone with months of food, water and air, I will survive the longest. Some of the tribes, those used to harsh conditions may outlast me, but with the change in geography a large portion of their diet will die out. Before the third wave could crash into the shoreline the toll of billions upon billions of gallons of water shifting caused a number of volcanic eruptions. Choking fumes erupt from a dozen locations at once. Even without this hazard, every sector of life has been affected. Great plains now dry as deserts, deserts now deep under ice, ice flows perfect for a rainforest, forests dying down to grass, not a single creature escapes without some change to its life. Every sector of the globe has its own tragedy, herds drowning in mile wide lakes that were streams last week, birds flying to breeding grounds that aren’t there, fish looking to feed off algae that have died in a cold ocean.

Carrion feeders lasted longer, like most scavengers they walk hand in hand with death. It took just 18 hours for the crisp and clear image of the Earth to turn into a smoky and smoggy dot in the vastness of space. Thunderstorms combined with rains of fire and brimstone brought an end to most terrestrial life, the freshwater followed, turning to sulphuric acid. Deep in the depths something may have survived, but with the shifting tides and water ways, one can only wonder if a suitable breeding ground could be found.

The next day there was no communication, just static, from America to Asia, on every radio band, nothing but the hiss of electronics finding nothing. Using what was left of the technology on the ground and breaks in the volcanic clouds I could on some days gather what was happening down on my choking home. Large herbivores that could find food fared well, lasting weeks before the succumbing to the poisonous atmosphere, predators died sooner, due to a higher concentration in their foods. The last sign of motion I saw was a vulture coughing and choking to death, then the remaining power on the ground failed. Perhaps something found life in this toxic mess. Humanity had been killing the world for hundreds of years, ironically when the world struck back it was too late. To kill us it had to kill itself. I feel sure some bacteria have survived, but even with life clinging on with desperation the cataclysm had one last effect.

The magnetic core hadn’t resettled, the seas had poured into cracks in the crust, cooling magma in deep swathes. The thermodynamic instability finally overcame gravity. The Earth cracked like an egg, runny liquids from the centre freezing when first exposed to the atmosphere. With this great release, the planet can reform, but I in my heart have seen the true nature of destruction, and we could never manage it so effectively. After all this years and all this evolution, we are still inferior to nature, what a world it would have been if we knew this back then.

My time grows short, I will release a beacon into space in the hope the energy imparted may keep it in orbit and relay my message, my last will and testament. The momentum imparted to the beacon will hasten my decent, however this does not worry me, unlike the untold trillions of deaths I missed, from great ape to lost deer, from fearsome predator to scared rodent, I will not drown nor choke, I will evaporate into light as this craft is burned away.

Here once stood the Earth, and here lies its remains, this was our story, pray that it does not mirror yours.

1412 words, after this weekend I may use my edit to improve this.

#18 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:35

Hmmz, fearsome competition, 2012 doomsday concept huh :)

Canon error perhaps: The EU equivalent of GPS is called Galileo, not Gemini.
Posted Image

#19 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:40

Thanks, I couldn't be bothered to check it, that will get changed in my edit.

#20 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 29 June 2008 - 23:22

This is very much work in progress so if I have the brainpower I will go back and refine it this weekend.
Dont know if it was really what you were looking for.

For Ever and Ever

It was a sunny day. Nobody ever thought it could get this hot in February. Luca nudged his tired old car lovingly to the side of the road and got out. He’d been thinking a lot recently. He thought about where his life was going, about his new girlfriend, about his ageing family. Most of all he thought about God. Through his teens he was a staunch atheist, but something was changing.

“Alright then, we’re here.” Luca said affectionately. An innocent looking brown-haired girl in her early twenties slowly pulled her self out of the little old car. “Wow, it really is beautiful.” she said, sounding genuinely surprised.
“You know… Thank you so much… You have shown me a lot about…”

“no no no Katie, you have shown me a lot.” Interrupted Luca smiling lovingly. He moved closer to her and put his arm round her.
“Sorry to be the romantic, but I brought us a picnic… and yes, I splashed out on a little champagne… I had a summer’s picnic planned.”
Katie smiled. “We’ll have to call it a winter’s summer’s picnic, but its certainly the weather for it." She took Luca's hand, "and its so nice of you, you know how much I like your chicken wings-you better have brought them!” She joked as she squeezed it placidly.
They walked on.

Luca had been changing not just in his religious views recently, but also in his attitude towards women. He had often been accused of being a bit loose and promiscuous, a man-slag. Six months ago he wouldn’t be seen dead taking a girl to the countryside for a picnic. In fact, the only place he’d take a girl then was the back seat of his car. But now, here he was, scrubbed up well in his chequered shirt and short haircut, with a girl that he really liked. He would have even done his dear grandmother proud.

They sat down and Luca cracked open the champagne. “To us.” He said gently.

For once in his life he now cared about his timing. As far as he was concerned there was no room for error. It had to be perfect. He’d always wanted a blonde bimbo. He’d like them bright orange with fake-tan , with big boobs and cheap tacky Jewellery. But the opposite was happening. This little innocent looking brunette, with her rosy cheeks, her modest bust and her gorgeous smile. “Fuck it.” He thought. He was going to go for it. He was about to put his plan into action.

“Oh I left the chicken in the boot, go and get it for me will you.” He said tossing his girlfriend the keys.

She smiled her trademark smile, and walked off gracefully as a saint towards his knackered out old car. He rustled in his pockets and slowly pulled out a velvet clad box. The man-slag had gone sentimental. It was his grandmothers.

Katie returned smiling as ever. It was like in the films. The setting was right, the hills in the background, the stream, the meadows. It was perfect even to the light breeze, ever so faultlessly blowing on Katie’s glossy russet hair and catching on her short flowery summer dress. It was just as special as Luca wanted it to be. The only thing that could make this better would be an 80’s power ballad playing in the background.

Luca kneeled, took his beauty’s hand and kissed it. He looked her in the eyes. She looked back softly, looking a tad concerned. He opened the small box he’d gotten out of his pocket earlier.
“I don’t know how I can say what you mean to me exactly. In the past few months I have grown with you so much and I feel I should have written you a thousand words to say this, you have made me grow up, you have made me a man. But my mind just isn’t up to the task so I can only ask you if you will do me the honour of…”

Everything went black.

“What the hell is going on?” Shouted Luca. But no-one could hear him.

“My children, you’re time is up. Today is judgement day!” Shouted a voice.

There was a flash of violet and another voice, a feminine voice appeared.

“You did me proud Luca, you really did me proud!”

Luca instantly recognised the voice, which he last heard aged fourteen in a hospital room.

“Grandma! Shouted Luca. I missed you so much, I!”

The Violet receded and there shone a bright light, Luca felt himself being pulled towards it.

“Luca, you know who I am! Throughout your teenage years you ignored me. But that does not matter now, I see you have seen the path, you have found me at last, and my child, I understand you have struggled through difficult times from birth. You have been mislead so many times. That does not matter. You have been saved by a whisker. But you will soon realise the true, pure. Beautiful reason why you have been saved after a life of lust and greed. Go forth, my son. The gates of heaven are open to you. Go Forth! Hurry up you lazy tyke! GO FORTH!”
Luca went further towards the light. He thought of nothing.

There was a white haze. The biggest gate Luca had ever seen, slowly started to become visible through it. It was made of solid gold and set in huge marble walls; it was taller than any skyscraper on Earth. They started to open for him.

Through the gates there was a stream in a sweet smelling meadow. There were snow-capped mountains in the distance. A woman in a radiant white dress caught Luca’s attention. She had her back turned to him, she slowly turned around.

“I will, I will, I will!” She screamed as she grabbed him and kissed him. The beautiful fragrance of the meadows radiated from her and Luca was the happiest he had ever been.

He was tapped on the shoulder by an old woman, “You really are a Cipriani, my boy! You have made me so proud! I believe you left this old thing down on Earth.”
The old woman passed the ring to Luca, who slid it gently onto the delicate fingers of his piece of heaven.
“And she!” Exclaimed Luca’s grandmother “Is absolutely gorgeous!”

A little short at 1060 words.
EDIT: Epic fail I said the girl was blonde at first then said she was brunette so that must change .

Edited by smooder, 30 June 2008 - 10:44.

#21 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 18:54

Do I detect a theme within your stories Smooder? :cool: Good to see someone else has entered.

#22 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:51

Its familiarly different :cool:

I decided instead of having a scifi like story that I could have a religious sort of story.

I wanted the story to be different and it ended up being of a similar theme to the last one, cept I'd sort of call it a romance, with a touch of comedy but I don't know if that was successful :D

Edited by smooder, 30 June 2008 - 20:52.

#23 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 22:30

Most people would call the end of humanity ‘The end of the world’. I am inclined to disagree. Humans are nothing special, if they died out peacefully then it is fair to assume the world would continue, and quite possibly something new could evolve. No, I intend to discuss the real end of the world and this end of the world happened whilst I was onboard the International Space Station. This apocalypse forms my last recording, it has not only wiped out every multi-cellular organism; it has also caused this station to slowly drop into the atmosphere where it will be burnt up by the friction of the atmosphere.

It happened like this…

“Good morning and welcome to BBC Breakfast news. I’m Andrew Trainer and this is Hannah Dunhill. Breaking news today, the price of a barrel of Brent Crude oil has broken $1,000 sparking fears of a global recession as stocks run dry. In response to fears the OPEC oil-cartel has increased production for a second time this month. In other news Britain are due to take over EU presidency next month and will try to use this to push for more aid to rebuild Aberdeen after cyclone Eva battered the coastal city.”

“Indeed, and the expedition trying to recreate Robert Falcon Scott’s doomed attempt to reach the South Pole has today ran into unexpected difficulties with both the standard compass used by the re-creators and the GPS systems used by the support team malfunctioning.”

How the United States kept us in this Space Station I don’t know, probably the missiles on its underbelly pointed at most of Asia, not to mention the huge TV revenues for being the only Ultra High Definition transmitter in the Northern Hemisphere. Ten years ago the USAF installed an outer space ready chain gun, this cut through satellites ran by the competition, leaving the ISS free to dominate media coverage across the globe, and with fuel prices so high, no one can afford to launch a new independent network.

The GPS was so reliable that no one thought about leaving their house without some form of locator on them, the idea it had broken down shocked everyone. The GPS (which would drive a car for you) still ran from the atomic clocks put into space decades earlier by the US army. The new Galileo system created by the EU had caught a dose of radiation sickness and rained high explosive death over large chunks of Asia.

Traffic was blocked up. London’s grid was locked for the first time since the M25 was demolished. Overnight deliveries failed to reach their location, people died in ambulances unable to get to the hospitals. All because of the GPS system failing, but the GPS system wasn’t broken, the planet was. A few scientists voiced reasoned arguments but their undervalued contribution was lost in the melee of witch doctors and mad bishops. The media had a field day. Elvis was sighted on 27 different occasions, once complete with his blue suede shoes.

Well the next day, the planet showed that the scientists were correct, however the Earth wasn’t broken exactly. The Earth’s Magnetic field, battered by eons of cosmic rays and drained by millennia of imparting a field into iron, had shifted. This stark change affected the rotation of the planet. With the new North Pole in French Polynesia, the South Pole in Saudi Arabia, and the equator brushing South America and Northern Europe. The shift caused massive tidal waves to sweep every coast, dependant on geography some people had six hours before the tides washed in. Not that it mattered, the vast portion of the remaining oil was being quickly buried under two miles of ice, along with the inhabitants. With a dysfunctional GPS the fleeing masses drove to high ground, looting and pillaging as they went. The tidal waves ripped northwards, South America due to its Southern point fared better than most. Australia, South Asia, large portions of Africa, the entire Mediterranean much of the Southern United States lost under walls of water miles high.

The next broadcast came by radio, “This is the Acting Prime Minister Robert Spencer, in this disaster, everyone has lost someone, but Britain will weather this storm. We who stopped the Luftwaffe, we who said no to Slavery, we who every year hope for two dry weeks at Wimbledon, we can survive. Gather what you can carry and head into central England, this way the floods can hopefully be avoided. The army are on hand to aid you. Remember everyone, England expects” they had twelve hours before the next deluge from the South. In the intervening time, all countries with a coastal North were swamped. Northern Africa was horrifyingly battered by the waves carrying the dead from the Southern coasts of Spain through to Turkey.

Up in my metal capsule, alone with months of food, water and air, I will survive the longest. Some of the tribes, those used to harsh conditions may outlast me, but with the change in geography a large portion of their diet will die out. Before the third wave could crash into the shoreline the toll of billions upon billions of gallons of water shifting caused a number of volcanic eruptions. Choking fumes erupt from a dozen locations at once. Even without this hazard, every sector of life has been affected. Great plains now dry as deserts, deserts now deep under ice, ice flows perfect for a rainforest, forests dying down to grass, not a single creature escapes without some change to its life. Every sector of the globe has its own tragedy, herds drowning in mile wide lakes that were streams last week, birds flying to breeding grounds that aren’t there, fish looking to feed off algae that have died in a cold ocean.

Carrion feeders lasted longer, like most scavengers they walk hand in hand with death. It took just 18 hours for the crisp and clear image of the Earth to turn into a smoky and smoggy dot in the vastness of space. Thunderstorms combined with rains of fire and brimstone brought an end to most terrestrial life, the freshwater followed, turning to sulphuric acid. Deep in the depths something may have survived, but with the shifting tides and water ways, one can only wonder if a suitable breeding ground could be found.

The next day there was no communication, just static, from America to Asia, on every radio band, nothing but the hiss of electronics finding nothing. Using what was left of the technology on the ground and breaks in the volcanic clouds I could on some days gather what was happening down on my choking home. Large herbivores that could find food fared well, lasting weeks before the succumbing to the poisonous atmosphere, predators died sooner, due to a higher concentration in their foods. The last sign of motion I saw was a vulture coughing and choking to death, then the remaining power on the ground failed. Perhaps something found life in this toxic mess. Humanity had been killing the world for hundreds of years, ironically when the world struck back it was too late. To kill us it had to kill itself. I feel sure some bacteria have survived, but even with life clinging on with desperation the cataclysm had one last effect.

The magnetic core hadn’t resettled, the seas had poured into cracks in the crust, cooling magma in deep swathes. The thermodynamic instability finally overcame gravity. The Earth cracked like an egg, runny liquids from the centre freezing when first exposed to the atmosphere. With this great release, the planet can reform, but I in my heart have seen the true nature of destruction, and we could never manage it so effectively. After all this years and all this evolution, we are still inferior to nature, what a world it would have been if we knew this back then.

My time grows short, I will release a beacon into space in the hope the energy imparted may keep it in orbit and relay my message, my last will and testament. The momentum imparted to the beacon will hasten my decent, however this does not worry me, unlike the untold trillions of deaths I missed, from great ape to lost deer, from fearsome predator to scared rodent, I will not drown nor choke, I will evaporate into light as this craft is burned away.

Here once stood the Earth, and here lies its remains, this was our story, pray that it does not mirror yours.

After Edit: 1426 Words, Not my best standard but I think a different approach to the end of the world.

#24 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:52

Perhaps I will enter the fray this time. Who knows though, only time will tell this round.
Posted Image

#25 NanSolo

Amateur

• 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 18:58

My entry, fashionably just in time:

Extract:
'Notes on Great Quotes: the definitive guide to the best sentences used, reused and abused'
by Ephraim Tellner
Mawm Publications, Ursa Minor, 34711 A.D.

As we saw in the previous chapter it is the End that seems to fully captivate mankind's ability to utter those phrases that transcend time and place to attain that most mystical of states: the 'quote'. From the end of freedom to the end of tyranny, from the end of love to the end of solitude, from the end of provision to the end of famine, it is the cessation of the status quo and the inevitable genesis of what follows that elicits the most memorable turns of phrase. As great as words may be in the intellectual exercise of the witty grammarian, it is the context of those sentiments that define it's greatness through the ages. Surely then there is no greater crucible, no greater stage upon which the actor can perform, than the end of the world itself.
Context, context, context then. It was the twentieth century and nuclear deterrents that gave us what I consider the greatest acronym to grace human language: MAD, Mutual Assured Destruction. The theory is that of a Nash equilibrium, whereby a change of strategy by one side would result in a similar change in strategy by the other, rendering any gain made by the initial change of strategy by the first side moot. Simply put: if you fire your arsenal at me, which will annihilate me, I will release my arsenal at you likewise resulting in your annihilation. You cannot win, therefore it is in your best interests not to change your current strategy.
What began with an estimated 13 kiloton detonation over Hiroshima in 1942 escalated as bigger and more efficient weapons were built: first nuclear, then biological and ultimately gravitation singularity weapons (GSWs).
Irony lies in that, from the point of this work, the most remembered phrase from the dawn of the era of weapons of mass destruction is itself a quote, a quote of two verses which since then have been tied together: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one. Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Often attributed to Robert Oppenheimer, known as the father of the atomic bomb, it is likely these words never actually left his mouth following that first explosion in the New Mexico desert. Rather, as he explained when interviewed after the incident, the verses from the Bhagavad Gita, part of Hindu scripture, passed through his mind at the time of the explosion.
The quote, becoming itself requoted to demonstrate the insanity of mankind.

This chapter began with the postulation that the End provides the best crucible in which the words of eternity are forged. As the example above shows, perhaps this is not entirely accurate. Rather we feel that great ends, as do great deeds, require a set phrase to accompany it through the ages, a quick handle to summarise the history and present it to the enquiring generations to come. Unfortunately that phrase may or may not arise in the heat of the moment, in the cases where it does not it therefore becomes necessary to ascribe one after the fact. For every John Sedgwick, the Union general killed by a sharpshooter muttering "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance", there is an Oppenheimer, whose great words are ascribed to him retrospectively. Words must be said, thought alone is insufficient.

Fiction of course gives us a great pool into which we can dip our toes. From REM singing that they "feel fine" to Arthur C. Clarke's spartan yet poetic "Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out", and the much repeated "May our children forgive us" there are plenty of instances where mankind meets it's doom with a theatrical phrase. But fiction aside, the world can only ever end once.

So we return to the end of the world, Armageddon, doomsday, the apocalypse, Ragnarök, an event with as many names as God himself. The field is as follows: Earth, the mother, and Mars, the daughter, facing each other with weapons of mass destruction and kept in check by a system of mutually assured destruction. The system fails: political upheaval on the daughter and insanity reigns, the order is given to launch. Perhaps they knew it would happen already all those centuries ago when they named that piece of barren rock after the god of War. Three missiles armed with gravitation singularity devices are launched towards the mother.
The defence network in orbit of Earth quickly picks up the attack, and after much disbelief it is verified. The end of days have come. It's own arsenal is prepared, but the order is never given. The two phrases that remain ingrained in the human psyche in the eons to come are from the final speech made by the President to the people of Earth: "heroes are not the ones that continue the fight endlessly and without aim other than to cause pain, heroes are those that do not start the fight, but those that choose to end the shooting...one mad turn deserves another: Earth will not retaliate." The missiles detonate and the mother is ripped apart by a number of black holes which perfectly replace the gravitational field of the planet, keeping the solar system in balance: the perfect 'clean' bomb. The orbit of Mars is unaffected.

But I will not leave you with those last words of the President, noble as they might be. Instead my last quote is provided by the control room of the Mars Military, as the mother dies. It is silence, utter and pure, the complete absence of words. A quote must be uttered, the words must take audible form, but mankind's greatest quote is the deep silence of it's greatest lunacy, a silence never to be spoken again.

Word count: 998 words.

And it looks like I'll be guaranteed third place at least :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users