Sexual Education in Schools

56 replies to this topic

Poll: Sexual Education (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you advocate their education at the ages of 11 till 13?

1. Yes (20 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote

#26 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:34

Well I do agree with you when you say that there's a degeneration of moral. Nowadays, sex has become more of a "lifestyle product" than ever. People do it out of boredom, blind curiosity, for self-assurance or to be "cool". I'm not saying that they should only do it with the natural intention to reproduce but today, it's simply TOO much. You get swept by sexual content of various sorts by the media. This whole "sex sells"-idea, the mentality that it's nothing private, nothing special anymore is sickening me. It's the product of a society that has become more and more superficial. However, I'm not blaming sex-ed in schools. There have to be certain standards though: Don't just teach them how to do it, not just the biology of the act itself, teach them about what it means, about the consequences, pregnancy, diseases, responsibilities, moral aspects. I think that's the problem. They don't learn that sexuality is more serious than the media made them believe. They merely learn how to do it and then, the media tell them to do it all the time.

Edited by Rayburn, 30 June 2008 - 12:27.

#27 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:23

The solution would be to increase sex-ed in schools. And remove anything with sexual content from the media, even if the sex is implied. Its still saying " Hey, you, look at this, these people are having sex, why aren't you?" At least stuff before the watershed anyway. But then there would be no TV apart from a few select programs. Which wouldn't actually be a bad thing. 1/2 of TV seems to be soaps and reality TV anyway. Before I die, i'm going to burn down the big brother house :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 30 June 2008 - 20:57

Hurray for over censorship and wrapping kids in cotton wool.

Kids have always been exposed to sex.

Many many teenage girls get pregnant on purpose anyway because they want a baby. Education on how to look after one wouldnt go a miss. Then maybe they would be put off or take more precautions.

Some schools have them fancy dolls with computerchips in nowadays. Maybe they could be used.

Edited by smooder, 30 June 2008 - 20:57.

#29 Babylon

I hate custom titles.

• 2245 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave Balance, ShockWave Tournament

Posted 30 June 2008 - 21:03

No it's a solution over a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I never agree to such things.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 21:05

You don't agree to educating people about sex? You want people to stop having sex?

#31 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 30 June 2008 - 22:51

Well... I see that I am only person who voted against sexual education.
In my opinion destroying of tabooes is a way to morale degeneration. More, making people similar to creatures f*cking since childhood. Of course, it is base of mankind's existence but teach children about this and 'screaming on every corner' as we see it today (mass media) is... incorrect at least. When our ancesstors thousands of years ago was created these norms of morality, this had some sense on this. No, i'm not support these hypocritical christian rhetorics of "No sex before marriage" (i'm not christian, btw), but falling down to creatures condition isn't a correct way.

Because of course, we are morally degenerating from our ways about a hundred years ago. When beating your children to death and forcing them to work in factories was considered right. And where thirteen year old prostitutes walked the streets and floating dead bodies in the Thames were regarded as normal. And where stubbornness and a lack of innovation sees a thousand men dying for a few yards of ground. And in less "civilized" places, cutting people's hands off was regarded as a suitable punishment for theft and forcing your children to marry each other was the custom.

Depending on how you see it, we've made some social progress, or we have made none at all.

In today's world, we have two sources about sex. One is from the media. Honestly, I can't quite explain it in words, but you all know what I'm talking about. Large breasted vixens, the importance of length, and all that. The thing is, you gotta have someone responsible teach children about the subject, lest they learn from another source and form misconceptions about it.

Edited by AllStarZ, 30 June 2008 - 23:01.

#32 Admiral Wesley

Semi-Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 23:05

I think they should only talk about STD prevention and condoms and the pill and that stuff.

Also, I beleive that if you are going to, umm, how do I put this, "GET IT ON" (Thrusts pelvis) before the age of 18, you have to wear a condom because I heard paying for a baby (food, toys, Xbox Live Membership) can cost $10,000 a year. Trust me, no-one wants a baby when they realize what is going on.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Lucid

Professional

• 312 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 23:15

View PostGeneral Wesley, on 30 Jun 2008, 19:05, said:

I think they should only talk about STD prevention and condoms and the pill and that stuff.

Also, I beleive that if you are going to, umm, how do I put this, "GET IT ON" (Thrusts pelvis) before the age of 18, you have to wear a condom because I heard paying for a baby (food, toys, Xbox Live Membership) can cost $10,000 a year. Trust me, no-one wants a baby when they realize what is going on.

lol, Live membership.

but seriously, i think the problem is that parents are trying to shelter their kids from sex, and so when the child grows older, it's an exciting thing for them, and they want to do it.
Posted Image

#34 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 30 June 2008 - 23:30

If you only teach people about contraceptives and STDs you're effectively in many ways encouraging them to have sex, just safe sex. Sex should neither be discouraged or condoned. It should be up to an informed individual to make the choice.

#35 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 30 June 2008 - 23:50

View PostAllStarZ, on 1 Jul 2008, 0:30, said:

If you only teach people about contraceptives and STDs you're effectively in many ways encouraging them to have sex, just safe sex. Sex should neither be discouraged or condoned. It should be up to an informed individual to make the choice.

That is a rather good point.

#36 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:10

The only problem is finding someone at the age of 16 who is informed and intelligent enough to use the information at their disposal. Most of the pupils at my high school had the brain power of a cheese.

#37 Rot Front

Amateur

• 126 posts
  • Projects: Time of War; Nuclear Winter Project

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:50

Because of course, we are morally degenerating from our ways about a hundred years ago. When beating your children to death and forcing them to work in factories was considered right. And where thirteen year old prostitutes walked the streets and floating dead bodies in the Thames were regarded as normal. And where stubbornness and a lack of innovation sees a thousand men dying for a few yards of ground. And in less "civilized" places, cutting people's hands off was regarded as a suitable punishment for theft and forcing your children to marry each other was the custom.

Yeah... western society&imperialism. In my country was never things you told about, neither 100, nor 1000 (oe even 10 000) years ago.

And in ancient Russia having sex before marriage wasn't regarded as crime, but treason in marriage was punished by execution. In my opinion this is optimal morale "system".

btw cutting hands for theft isn't a bad idea. Any means are good to discrease criminality.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Watch the falcon fly
In the endless sky
Hail the sign of fight
Pagan Metal War

#38 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:54

View PostRot Front, on 1 Jul 2008, 13:50, said:

btw cutting hands for theft isn't a bad idea. Any means are good to discrease criminality.
Mister X, this court finds you guilty of speeding. Do you have any last words before we execute you?

:P
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 14:57

View PostRot Front, on 1 Jul 2008, 13:50, said:

You have been found guilty of having the letter F in your name. You are now banned.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#40 Rot Front

Amateur

• 126 posts
  • Projects: Time of War; Nuclear Winter Project

Posted 01 July 2008 - 17:23

You have an offensive signature. It offends my national feelings and political views. WTF then? Freedom of speech..!

1)Honest person must't be afraid of even the most severe laws
2)In Ethiopia they still cutting hands for theft. Result - very low criminality level
3)No mercy to criminals. They are just rubbish of mankind. Necessary to destroy them. More useful to 'kill them by work', as in Third Reich and Stalin-era USSR does.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Watch the falcon fly
In the endless sky
Hail the sign of fight
Pagan Metal War

#41 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 17:34

Glorifying the Third Reich. Great. You would have just committed a crime where I'm coming from, lad. Fancy an arbitrary punishment now?
I do agree that some criminals do not get punished the way they deserve but I wouldn't introduce death penalty and draconian punishments for every random pickpocket. Also, being an honest and upstanding citizen does not always protect you from severe laws. What if there's evidence that makes YOU look guilty although someone else has done the crime? Things like that CAN happen and I wouldn't like to get my hands chopped off because some fuckhead who stole someone's purse happens to look similar to me.

Edited by Rayburn, 01 July 2008 - 17:41.

#42 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:07

View PostRot Front, on 1 Jul 2008, 18:23, said:

You have an offensive signature. It offends my national feelings and political views. WTF then? Freedom of speech..!

2)In Ethiopia they still cutting hands for theft. Result - very low criminality level
3)No mercy to criminals. They are just rubbish of mankind. Necessary to destroy them. More useful to 'kill them by work', as in Third Reich and Stalin-era USSR does.

You assume the police force are incapable to being wrong. This is not the case. Also imagine what ES would be like if we ran the place in that style.

#43 Admiral Wesley

Semi-Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:24

Simply said: In no way sex under 18 is bad, but it has to be done with the proper protection. Nobody wants to balance schoolbooks and baby bottles.

Oh, and have you heard about the Pregnancy Pact at Gloucster High School? Here is the story.

GLOUCESTER, Mass. — School counselors, teachers and families of students the principal said made a pact to get pregnant and have babies together have no information to back the claim, the mayor of Gloucester said Sunday.

Mayor Carolyn Kirk plans to meet Monday with school, health and other local officials after Gloucester High School Principal Joseph Sullivan was quoted by Time magazine saying the girls made such a pact.

The meeting will discuss the alarming rate of teen pregnancy. Seventeen girls in the high school became pregnant this year — four times the usual number. The girls are all 16 or younger, and nearly all of them sophomores.

Kirk told The Associated Press that Sullivan has told officials in this hard-luck New England fishing town that he can't remember his source of information.

"The high school principal is the one who initially said it, and no one else has said it," Kirk said. "None of the counselors at the school, none of the teachers who know these children and none of the families have spoken about it.

"So, my position is that it has not been confirmed," she said.

The Associated Press could not immediately locate a home phone number for Sullivan. A message was left Sunday at the principal's office.

City and school officials in this city of about 30,000 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Boston have been struggling for months to explain and deal with the pregnancies, where on average only four girls a year at the 1,200-student high school become pregnant.

Just last month, two officials at the high school health center resigned to protest the local hospital's refusal to support a proposal to distribute contraceptives to youngsters at the school without parental consent.

The heavily Roman Catholic town, which has a large Italian and Portuguese population, has long been supportive of teen mothers. The high school has a day care center for students and employees.

Taken from foxnews.com
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:25

Tell you what, Rot Front. If it ever comes to banning you, we'll give you a choice. Make a daily post glorifying E-Studios and work for all ES mods forever, or get banned right away.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#45 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 18:33

View PostRot Front, on 1 Jul 2008, 13:23, said:

honest people can make mistakes. so can witneses, if a woman steals another woman's purse, and you try to grab it back, suddenly, you're seen as the theif.

show me the numbers.
no wonder Ethiopian children are starving, their parents have no hands to work with and provide for them.

this view is a load of BS, some criminals have to provide for their families, and due to improper education or other circumstances they have to provide through illegal means. granted, criminals like murderers and rapists are scum, but that's why we have jails and the death penalty.
Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#46 Admiral Wesley

Semi-Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 19:47

View PostCodeCat, on 1 Jul 2008, 14:25, said:

Tell you what, Rot Front. If it ever comes to banning you, we'll give you a choice. Make a daily post glorifying E-Studios and work for all ES mods forever, or get banned right away.

Are you talking about me?:P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 19:49

View PostGeneral Wesley, on 1 Jul 2008, 20:47, said:

Are you talking about me? :P

Nah, he's just pointing out how oppressive regimes can be a bad thing.

#48 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 19:50

View PostGeneral Wesley, on 1 Jul 2008, 15:47, said:

Are you talking about me?:P

no, the guy 3 or 4 posts above you.

edit: closer to topic: i heard about the pregnancy pact, and i lauged out loud. those girls are not ready for kids, and the school should not be providing a free daycare, it's almost like saying "you aren't supposed to have sex and get pregnant, but since you messed up, we'll take care of you and your kid anyway"
if i was the administration or the kids' parrents i would make them get a job(or the fathers) and pay out of their own pocket for daycare for the baby.

Edited by retry_1, 01 July 2008 - 19:54.

Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#49 Admiral Wesley

Semi-Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 20:03

OH!!! He was talking about Rot Font, the user. Not a name he was calling me. Thanks for the clarification.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:44

The major concern about this issue is that kids learn that three-letter word not on school but on the street.

How can we teach them proper education if they get the wrong info from others?

Teach 'em again!

Did not understand the lecture?

Teach 'em again!

Still not understand?

Teach 'em again! (this time with a big stick)

Persistence sometimes do help.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users