Empire King Oni Unit Profile

57 replies to this topic

#26 Beta9

Semi-Pro

• 265 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:50

That beast is a pure beast <_<

It looks majorly oped but it's so badass looking. Reminds me of something straight out of Gundam :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:58

@Allstarz: Here's a quick overview of the Ore Node system from GameReplays.com's 7 Important Things About The Red Alert 3 Trailer article:

7. Regulated economy

What this means for gameplay
Everything. In fact it's so important, rumor has it that God postponed the apocalypse once he saw this trailer and realized that RA3's chances of being a terrible game went from possible to virtually zero.

Basically, it appears as if there are no ore fields in RA3. Instead they have been replaced with some sort of ore storage facility that only one harvester can collect from at a time. Compare this with C&C 3 where you can have several harvesters on a field at once, and you can see how this will impact gameplay.

Now it seems that the income rate is limited to how many of these ore facilities you happen to control. It prevents you from making a half dozen harvesters and inflating your economy to some absurd income rate that lets you produce Patton's entire third army every minute. If you want a stronger economy, you will probably have to expand in order to get it. So the number of ore facilities there are on the map will determine what your income rate per minute will be.

What's more is since only one harvester can collect from them at a time (it seems, based on the design of the structure), then it will last a certain amount of time before it's depleted (if it's depleted at all). This means that rather than a field of tiberium or ore being "locusted" in the space of 2 minutes, completely ruining its importance as a strategic point of harassment before the game even fully gets under way, ore facilities can be tuned to last much longer. Let's say one facility gives up ore at a rate of $1,000/minute. If there is $10,000 in it, it will last 10 minutes. That's a much larger window of opportunity to harass your opponent's economy.

Most importantly, this allows EA to have control over the production pacing of the game. If they don't want players making 50 tanks every minute, they can just set the output of the ore facility to some specific value that can avoid massive armies and chaotic battles. Instead, they can easily decide what a comfortable average army size is, and stick with it. This could mean more micro, more tactical depth, and more intense combat.

@Topic: This looks very powerful. I get the feeling it'll be the Empire's Kirov - big, expensive, tough, and hard to get it where you need to go, but utterly devastating if it does arrive. Also, there's no mention of it being amphibious, so that's likely to be a big limiting factor on its power in this heavily navalised game.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts
  • Projects: How to become the best, waiting for SC2 and DOW2

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:38

Good thing will be if Oni could pack into fast transport vehicle as ability.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:44

Yub, Its like a kirov... slow moving that can withstand to almost every thing!!(hope its not true... or else OP...)
Still nice mech :P Hope to see more Empire units :P

Edit : What the hell are you talking about Ancient soho!?!?

Edited by Red, 06 July 2008 - 10:45.

Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?

#30 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:48

King Oni is not that slow.
In video on RA3 site he's pretty fast.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:01

With a unit that powerful? I certainly hope not. It seems like Supreme Commander's experimental units - if you get them to the enemy, they're screwed, but getting them there in the first place is half the battle.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:21

With economy system in RA3 and cost of King Oni, its hard that you can have even one Oni on field.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:30

Well, we don't know that for sure, but as other people have said it needs to be balanced by other areas than just cost, and I think this looks like the main one. That and its inability to defend against air units.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:49

A heavy mech with no aa weapons is the best way to counter it with air units...

Kirov vs Oni = Kirov wins

I hope this unit will be a T3 unit with a higher cost and longer built time then apoc. tank seeing that a single laser vision can blow one apoc....

Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?

#35 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:57

@Soho: No, it's ability is to run with his arm in front and stamp through anything.

#36 Jerinx

Your awesome taxi driver

• 738 posts
  • Projects: Lurking...

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:29

View PostRed, on 6 Jul 2008, 19:49, said:

A heavy mech with no aa weapons is the best way to counter it with air units...

Kirov vs Oni = Kirov wins

I hope this unit will be a T3 unit with a higher cost and longer built time then apoc. tank seeing that a single laser vision can blow one apoc....

The tank in the vid is not Apoc tank D:
It is Hammer Tank
Posted Image

#37 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 13:42

apocalipsis with his magnetic harpon and the cryocopter sounds like the natural counter for the oni, at least i think, even then i hardly believe they will be able to kill the soviet main battletank in one shot in the final game, remebet the concrip and peacekeeper profiles and how they in they own profiles killed the other in one shot but in the opposing profile they didnt do anything at all damage wise
Posted Image

#38 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 15:01

View PostMaster_Chief, on 6 Jul 2008, 11:57, said:

@Soho: No, it's ability is to run with his arm in front and stamp through anything.

I know that.Ability that I posted is what I liked to see.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:57

If it does not have any anti-aircraft weapon, then send in yer TwinBlade 'choppers.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#40 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:32

I dunn like it :( O well, maybe I'm just nostalgic about good old RA-s...

Maybe if every side gets some sort of an OP monster, it will balance out? :/
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#41 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:13

View PostThe Wandering Jew, on 8 Jul 2008, 5:57, said:

If it does not have any anti-aircraft weapon, then send in yer TwinBlade 'choppers.

But still he owns everything on ground.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:36

View PostAncient soho, on 8 Jul 2008, 11:13, said:

how do you know that at all? also the apocalipsis has a instant kill skill too
........and we dont kno what other things have the other sides
Posted Image

#43 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 08 July 2008 - 17:21

Woot! Keep 'em comming EA! :/
Posted Image

#44 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 08 July 2008 - 21:27

View PostAncient soho, on 8 Jul 2008, 12:13, said:

I wouldn't judge from the video because I believe that they pumped up its power for demonstrative purposes. Compare the Peacekeeper video and the Conscript video and you'll understand what I mean. I hope that EA's team won't screw up the balance too bad.

Also, I must mention that the overhaul for the King Oni is simply awesome! It looks like the Empire's most powerful unit! Also I think the Red Oni might be a heroic version, but who knows?
Posted Image

#45 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 21:37

They said that red Oni have AA purpose.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 21:56

View PostAncient soho, on 8 Jul 2008, 14:37, said:

Quote please or it never happened.

#47 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:09

View PostAncient soho, on 8 Jul 2008, 23:37, said:

as far as i know they didnt say ANYTHING at all of the red king oni

fun fact: in Gundam Char Aznable piloted a Red Zaku 2 Command type

hence i wont be surprise if the red one is a command unit in red alert 3 who you need to build before be able to make the normal ones(but of course this is 100% speculation for my part
Posted Image

#48 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:10

I founded that in red Oni's description on Revora forums.
Somebody already posted link for RA3 section here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:18

View PostAncient soho, on 9 Jul 2008, 0:10, said:

I founded that in red Oni's description on Revora forums.
Somebody already posted link for RA3 section here.

link to the thread in self? i found the ra3 unit list and it said:

Advanced Support (AA/AT?) Vehicle: Red Oni (?)

and that isnt official at all and i am sure the "?" is meaning they dont know for exactly what is it
Posted Image

#50 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:38

Today's japanese lesson:

King Oni = devil or demon King.

Demons inhabit the makai realm = hell

Maou= Overlord or demon king.
Posted Image