Slipstream

11 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:03

Sure Halo and Andromeda fans have heard this. I wonder what the so called Slipstream or Slipspace is supposed to be?

In Halo and Andromeda they are ways to bridge far distance by moving faster than light through that space. Though not instantly, it still takes weeks to month to fly from one system to another, in Halo, in Andromeda it's instant.

I don't know where I should've put this, but since here is a lot of FTL-discussion going on lately, I thought this is the right place.

Edited by Master_Chief, 07 July 2008 - 10:05.

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:09

View PostMaster_Chief, on 7 Jul 2008, 11:03, said:

Sure Halo and Andromeda fans have heard this. I wonder what the so called Slipstream or Slipspace is supposed to be?

Sci-Fi BS
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:22

Not everything in Sci-Fi is bullshit. See: Warp. Theoretically it could work, if we find a way to warp spacetime around an object. Do we even know if the Slipstream exists?

Neither is something BS just because it appears in Science Fiction, though most things that appear in Sci-Fi is BS...

Edited by Master_Chief, 07 July 2008 - 10:30.

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:37

In b4 division by zero.

Posted Image

#5 Medve

I thought it's a box

• 567 posts
  • Projects: Cnc: Untitled

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:13

You have to somehow "evade" or negate the fact that lightspeed = infinite mass = the post above. But I myself don't see a way to get around the laws of modern physics.

Medve
Posted Image

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:23

If you can move with space when space is moving FTL then yes, otherwise Strangelove is correct.

#7 NanSolo

Amateur

• 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:01

As far as I know Sci-fi often uses a variation of two themes for FTL travel: you either change the shape of space itself, or you use some sort of wormhole technology to get from point A to B without travelling through normal space. From the name 'slipstream' I'm guessing it's some sort of the latter, similar to Hyperspace from StarWars.

As to whether either of those is possible, at the moment, I refer you, like Dauth, to Dr. Strangelove's reply.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:03

View PostNanSolo, on 7 Jul 2008, 12:01, said:

As far as I know Sci-fi often uses a variation of two themes for FTL travel: you either change the shape of space itself, or you use some sort of wormhole technology to get from point A to B without travelling through normal space. From the name 'slipstream' I'm guessing it's some sort of the latter, similar to Hyperspace from StarWars.

As to whether either of those is possible, at the moment, I refer you, like Dauth, to Dr. Strangelove's reply.

The wormhole idea is far more plausible.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#9 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:28

If you find a way to open wormholes, and keep them open, sure.

#10 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:42

Slipstream/Slipspace can essentially be compared with the fictional ''subspace''. That is something parallel to everything in our universe, but the travel times in ''subspace'' are way less. For example if you enter this ''slipstream/subspace whatever'' on point A, then go to point B IN SUBSPACE, and exit subspace at point B, you will be at point B in normal space. You will have travelled that certain distance in subspace, but that distance is way greater in normal space, and thus you have travelled, probably FTL, across space. Similar principe to the warp drive, really, if only there is something like subspace.

Another explanation of it, is that subspace is some place with alternate physics laws, which do allow you to physically travel faster than light without gaining infinite mass. So if you have an FTL engine but it can't go FTL because of physics.. slip into slipspace and use it there. Yeah, strangelove is pretty right, Sci Fi BS.

With slipstream it's more complicated than that, read it upon wikipedia, I can't be bothered to read all that up.

Some scientists have probably considered it but there is not even remote evidence that even such a thing exists, so it's purely fictional.

Edited by Aftershock, 10 July 2008 - 12:49.

Posted Image

#11 ̀̀̀̀█

Metal box!

• 563 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:34

Bleh... Slip stream in halo means the break in the fabric of space, which in an atmosphere creates that huge shockwave that destroyed that city. As far as I care, the slipstream was basically opening a wormhole.
I need sigs.
Yay first comment! Thank you Comr4de!

Posted Image
If I were an alien from a distant world, unhampered by the endless void of space for whatever reason, I would stay the hell away from these primitive, monkey-like creatures from Earth who are too busy slaughtering each other over subjects such as religion or ethnicity, who pollute their one and only planet and who praise mindless pop-culture personalities more than scientists and philosophers.

#12 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:21

Sci-Fi rubbish that makes an interesting plot. There's no chance of us finding ways to do these things within the next thousand years or so, to be honest. If we wanted to make long distances seem shorter, we'd probably research into keeping people asleep for years, because it's easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users