Helicopters vs Jets

9 replies to this topic

#1 bartpp7

Casual

• 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 23:46

Hi guys as we grow into more technology and jets become more viable though they have become less of a use as we advance on Helicopter technolgy and VTOL and the Tri Technology we see that Helicopters seem to have the uper hand though we have yet to fully up hand the benifets of the tri technology there is still hope like the v-22 and it precessor the v-44 and theres also rumour of there being a v-66

so what do you guys think

personaly i believe that Helicopter and its Tri Technology will rain supreme and the design of the jets will be reject and Chopters will become the main source of flight trainsport plus they have a better design
General Granger - I win you lose what more is there left to say.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 00:53

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Helicopters can land and take off vertically, and can stop in mid air. But are slower too.

Jets are extremely fast, though need a runway.

Combine those and you get a VTOL which combines both.

#3 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:42

Strange.

Helicopters and jets (conventional) must not be compared head-on.

Both have different roles.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#4 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:55

Choppers and jets serve very different purposes. You can come up with some VTOL-thing that can execute both roles but I'd rather have two kinds of aircraft that excel at different things than one aircraft that performs just adequately in both.

Edited by Rayburn, 14 July 2008 - 09:17.

#5 bartpp7

Casual

• 70 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 22:30

well we could at some stage get to the peak of the tri/vtol technology and so they could have similer actributes to jets/planes plus see the helicopters in BF 2142 we could at some stage get to that type of technology
General Granger - I win you lose what more is there left to say.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 23:36

Definitely fighters in my opinion. Choppa's missiles are designed for AT, and its cannon are not effective as fighter's cannon. Let's imagine you are in a Apache, a F-14 stares on you, with AIM and Vulcan... :facepalm:

However, choppa do stand a chance: They are slower, thus easier to control, maybe some super movements choppa can do may shake off missiles and gunsight.

#7 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:10

Advanced Jet + full VTOL/STOVL/STOL gear > helicopters. Helos are slower by definition, and have a much lower flight ceiling than fixed-wings.

#8 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:40

Fighter aircraft will ALWAYS > Helos.

For example...

F/A-18 > Apache/Hind/Tiger/bla
F-22 > Apache/Hind/Tiger/bla
lol > Apache/Hind/Tiger/bla

And also, jets like the AV-8B Harrier can use Conventional Takeoff, VTOL and STOL.
Posted Image

#9 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 17:53

Very different machines. Helis are far more versatile, and can provide close in fire support as well as a sustained battlefield presence. Fighters are all about swift strikes and an immediate air strike. They are TOO different to be even considered for being compared. However, I do think that jets are beginning to phase out helis. With increasingly advnced VTOL and STOL techs, jets will soon be able to both fly and hover effectively, while still considered jets (well, they consider the osprey, harrier, and F-35B planes). But as of now, a jet cannot possibly provide constant fire support against sparse enemy resistance (not a column of tanks, but rather a very spread out small number of tanks that are approaching an infantry squad's position, where the jet would have to go for multiple passes, wasting fuel and all, the heli could dispatch them all easy), but the heli cannot keep the skies clear, or safely strike a column of tanks or an airbase with impunity.

Bottom line, jets will likely prevail in the end, but for now, different machines for different purposes.
Posted Image

#10 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:38

They fill totally different battlefield and support roles, and both will always be around in one form or another.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users