Red vs. Blue

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 20 July 2008 - 17:53

Ok, I know its clear I'm not so dedicated to stories. However, I'm going to try this one a little differently. My goal is to start were the ROTR roleplay thread it right now, and go from there. This may take a similar format to some other works, don't be surprised. First section (USA Media Package) will be in next post
Rebel
kinda, sorta alive.

#2 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 22:45

USA Media Package:

Current Primary Unit Types Deployed In European Theater (en-masse)

"Humvee" Light Infantry Transport

The variant of the humvee predominantly deployed in the Euro. theater is perhaps the closest to the original design built in years. This vehicle is armed with a .50 Caliber CROWS (CRew Operated Weapons System) anti-infantry machine gun, and a TOW missile launcher. General Bradley has fielded a modified version of this humvee as a substitute for a proper MBT. Prominent military magazine "The Flag" regards this decision as "Incredibly risky. In theory, the tradeoff of speed for armor could afford Gen. Bradley a more versatile, lethal, and effective fighting force. However, in practice, it will likely make said vehicles vulnerable to Russian and GLA RPG's". All the same, Bradley continues fielding these vehicles, and field tests have shown them to be highly effective. Whether or not, however, this is simply from the surprise such well armed humvees impart on Russian troops is yet to be seen.

"Crusader" Main Battle Tank (Mk. II)

In 2012, when it was decided that the M1A3 Abrams tank needed to be replaced, the government decided to go through their normal routes- contractors. The contract required the tank be able to handle the newly designed 100mm "Shatterer" smoothbore cannon, drive at >50 mph, operate using autoloaders, have at least an inch of frontal armor, and be operated by a crew of three or less. The Crusader, developed by (surprisingly) Lockheed Martin, met all these specifications, and cost less than any of the other prototypes. In field tests against captured GLA T-52 "Scorpion" tanks, they've proved incredibly effective. The new variant, developed after the first great war, is very similar to the original version. The main difference is the newer version has a new engine, greatly increasing its range and slightly increasing its speed, and it carries 1/4 of an inch of additional armor along the front of the turret, making it slightly less prone to missile attacks.

"Paladin" Heavy Tank (Mk. II)

Although the Crusader has proven its lethality in many battles, heavy losses of these vehicles at the hands of heavier "Warmaster" and "Overlord" tanks in training excercises has proven them to be a tad too brittle for sustained tank warfare against modern opposition. In response to this, the "Paladin" tank was developed. Its larger (150mm) gun has proven much more effective in the field against enemy tanks. Additionally, it has been outfitted with a state-of-the-art PDL (Point Defense Laser) anti-missile system. Since the upgrade adding this system, Paladin survivability has increased >20%. After the first great war, the Paladin was also equipped with a new engine, greatly extending its range, but due to its heavier armor (2.5 inches at the front of the vehicles turret, tapering to a still impressive 1.24 inches along the rear ventalation system [installed to combat GLA Bio-Weapons]) this upgrade hardly affected its speed. During the upgrade, new software was also installed in the PDL system, making it significantly more effective. The paladin tank fills a niche in the US armored hierarchy somewhere between medium and heavy armor. In addition, the paladin, too, is operated by a two man crew, in order to minimize cost. Due to the soldiers positions in the tank, the driver has an easy release harness and escape area, greatly increasing any experienced pilots chances of escape from the destroyed vehicle. Unfortunately, the gunner, situated in the cupola, has no exit readily available. He is also situated nearby to the shells remaining in the tank... when hit, these shells have been known to go off, typically killing the gunner. This is unfortunate, but it has been categorized as "Acceptable Losses". If the US is to fully engage in this war, perhaps they will modify the tank to allow the gunner to escape.

"Avenger" Support Vehicle

Built on the chassis of a humvee, the Avenger Point Defense Laser has proven to be one of the most effective anti-aircraft systems in the world. In its first use, Avenger systems were used just to defend against enemy aircraft. However, with a recent software upgrade, they have proven to be a very effective defensive shield against incoming tactical missiles (namely TOPOL's). The deployment of Avengers to key regions has proven a very effective way to shield against Russian tactical missiles (as seen in Hamburg, before the retreat) and seems to work excellently as a deterent for russian aircraft (as seen in current engagements throughout the netherlands, and all along the Euro-line [as many are now calling the line along which the ECA/USA Alliance is currently holding off the russian offensive]).

Briefing on Russian Commanders (Classified)

General "CrazyKenny"
Location: Somewere near the Russian front (Most likely stalled somewere in the netherlands)
Specialty: N/A
Place of Birth: Netherlands
Command: Part of Russian Leadership (N/A)
Other: Known to be lethal. Has the capability to launch TREMOR AGAS and TOPOL-M strikes. Target priority: ALPHA

"CommanderJB"
Specialty: Aviation, VDV Forces
Place of Birth: Australia
Command: VDV Forces, leading several air battle groups
Other: Clearly a bright commander, his cunning has put us at a disadvantage several times. US CENTCOM recommends his removal via WOLF Protocol

"AjPod"
Specialty: Urban Warfare/Siege Fighting
Place of Birth: Brazil
Command: Unknown
Other: Apparently a close ally of commanderJB. This is most definitely one of the gravest threats to us- recommend elimination of both.

"Code Monkey"
Specialty: Unknown
Place of Birth: Unknown (Presumed USA Defector)
Other: Appears to be on leave. Not a current threat

"Alias"
Command: Russian High Command [N/A]
Other:Appears to be on leave. WOLF Protocol to be iniated ASAP

"Suvorov"
Specialty: Armor
Place of Birth: Unknown (suspected USA defector)
Command: Armored Group, Designation Unknown
Other: A Tenacious supporter of russia, his courage is not to be overlooked. Shoot on sight.

"Kid"
Place of Birth: Spain
Other: Formerly a prominent Major of the ECA, on the path to general, he turned on his comrades and joined the russians. His location is unkown, but he is known to be HIGHLY DANGEROUS, due to his intimate knowledge of ECA battle doctrine. Should be captured for trial.

"Centric"
Specialty: Production, Cavalry
Command: Fourth Engineers (Presumed)
Other: Sergeant Major "Centric" is in command of one of Russias largest manufacturing facilities towards the rear of the russian front. His elimination could slow the Russians production to a crawl, at least temporarily. This is highly recommended.

A section of an article on Russian Command, from "The Flag", 2012 (pre-war). By Alex Smith (Later General Alex Smith)

Not since the height of the cold war has Russia's military been so large. No its not a threat to everyone anymore, but they're certainly worth watching. If nothing else, so that we can learn from them. Gone are the purges of yesteryear, but in this modern day, they've tried something different. In our own Flag, and many other military minded publications (from the Chinese "Golden Star" to the European "World Watch") they've been advertising, recruiting. They want the worlds best military minds on their side, and are clearly willing to take anyone, from anywhere, to help them. Its most definitely an interesting experiment, one that will see if money can tame those generals of other nations to aid them.

Edited by Rebel, 22 July 2008 - 23:54.

kinda, sorta alive.

#3 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 23:28

Well the writing etc is all very good and it's looking like a really good start Rebel - nice going!!
For there can be no death without life.

#4 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 25 July 2008 - 13:28

View PostRebel, on 23 Jul 2008, 8:45, said:

"CommanderJB"
Specialty: Aviation, VDV Forces
Command: VDV Forces, leading several air battle groups
Other: Clearly a bright commander, his cunning has put us at a disadvantage several times. US CENTCOM recommends his removal via WOLF Protocol

Look, if you are going to eliminate me, you might as well get it right - I am part of the VKS (Vozdushneye Kosmos Sily, lit. Military Space Forces), not the VDV, they are an entirely different branch of the military with a completely different mission, namely managing the military uses of space. And ever so technically my place of birth is actually England, even if I have lived in Australia for the majority of my life.
Also, how nice of you to provide us an evaluation of your key unit types! You've saved my satellite recon data analysis teams considerable work. I'll be sure to pass on this information to my generals.

On a thread-relevant note, looking good. I definitely like technological thrillers, so I'm very much looking forward to reading more.
Edit - also, I thought Kid was still with ECA?

Edited by CommanderJB, 25 July 2008 - 13:30.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 15:57

Kid came back after I put together this write up, and I'm too lazy to edit it accordingly... I will edit yours, however.
kinda, sorta alive.

#6 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:01

USA Media Package, Pt. II

MQ-S47 "Sentry Drone" (Model 4)

During the first great war against the GLA, the USA developed the MQ-SD (Sentry Drone) to deal with the near-constant threat of terrorist and saboteur attacks from the GLA. After that war, however, with the GLA nearly gone, the program developing and upgrading these drones was mothballed, deemed too expensive to be continued in times of peace. However, with the emerging threat of the Russian Federation, and the ECA needing help to police its borders at relatively low costs, (the actual drone is very cheap to produce and maintain, but the RnD department associated with the project was notorious for repeatedly being over-budget) the project was re-activated. Though the original drone developed during the first war needed to be upgraded manually with a swivel-mounted machine gun, the new model four being deployed along the front in europe comes standard with a slightly smaller caliber (10mm vs the original 16mm incendiary round that had to be custom made) armor piercing round, suitable for dealing with dismounted infantry.

AC-9 "Tomahawk" Mobile Launch System

Between the first war with the GLA and the current conflict, the Tomahawk MLS has changed little. The 76mm rockets it fires in a high-altitude arc are still just as lethal as they were during the first war. Though the MLS is still just as slow as the version deployed during the first war, a new missile guidance package has allowed the missiles to travel at higher speeds, and higher altitudes, making them significantly harder to shoot down then the original deployment version.

Prologue: "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
General Alex "Swimmer" Smiths Office
Oxford AFB
Oxford, England

The radio was playing, in General Swimmer's office. The 'stones old hit, You Can't Always Get What You Want... it was all to fitting in this circumstance. He needed about twice the force CENTCOM was allowing him at the moment, just to sustain the defense of the line at current operational tempo's, not even to mention attempting to fight back to the fort in holland general Kevin "Kamikazee" azden was holding the russians at. And even that wasn't accounting for filling the holes in the airforce the russians continued to punch. All in all... he was in pretty bad shape.

I know, I know, its too much of a cliff hanger, but I really don't know what to do right now. Therefore, this story is in-definitely on hold until the next ROTR update.

Swimmer

Edited by Swimmer, 09 August 2008 - 16:40.

kinda, sorta alive.

#7 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:46

Gah, been too long. I'm dropping this story like all too many others, but there will be another to fill its place, one that I can do more episodically. That said, here is what I had written for it.

Red Vs. Blue
Short Story by The_Swimmer

Chapter One: In the Fold

The resistance is not one thing. It’s an ever changing, ever adapting, lean, mean, fighting machine. With a single goal- destroying the Russian Menace. While the Russians remain a constant threat to resistance members throughout occupied Europe, the resistance grows stronger each passing day. At its helm stands Kevin “Kamikazee” Von Cappen. A natural fighter, and ex ECA (European Continental Army) fighter pilot, he’s taken leadership of a volatile group of people from all over his continent, the only real force keeping the Russians from pushing into France and Spain (or, at least, that’s what they like to think).

This “General”, Kamikazee, earned his nickname for a single reason- the fort in Holland. Yes, that’s right, he lives in a fort. This facility, occupied by a large number of resistance members, is the one area in occupied Europe that the Russians avoid. Recently, in fact, a flight of Russian berkut aircraft learned of its anit-aircraft defenses, the hard way. Kevin considers the elite squadron of resistance fighters residing in his fort (patriotically refered to as Fort Holland) to be the few, and lucky, in the fold, you might say. If nothing else, they are lucky to be under his command- he has proven several times that he is a brilliant tactician (although many American strategists have recently come to worry about his lack of “big picture” thinking). He has kept his men alive for significantly longer than any other Resistance leader, and is therefore considered there leader. His men are still alive now- I hope your actions on the battlefield help keep them that way.

-From the Expeditionary Fighting Force (Europe) handbook. Section B “The Resistance”

“And then, and then they were everywere. The fucking dismounted infantry out front, not like normal. They had fucking RPG’s. No one fucking told us they would have RPGs. Maybe if someone thought to tell us that, John would still be alive! But it wasn’t the RPG’s that got us. No, not the RPG’s… it was the big motha-fucking tanks. Y’know, the huge ones? I saw half a dozen of the ecca (Nickname for ECA) lynxes get run over by those things. Goddamnit, I mean fucking run-over. Nothing left, man. Fuck, tanks aren’t supposed to do that, are they? Are they?”

-Said by a US Private, describing the battle over Fort “Delta” (First known deployment of Russian “Sentinel” tanks)

In artillery battery 1147 (callsign “HideNSeek) things were going to hell- fast. Shocked by the rapidly advancing Russian forces, the ECA command had lost contanct with several outposts. Mainly, artillery batteries like this. Essentially, a big .204 cal gun, mounted in a concrete poured bunker, with a handful of view ports, and high-tech comm. and fire control systems, they were easy targets for Russian forces that could get in close. Until those forces got in close, the batteries were hell for them, but once they were there, the actual task of taking out the batteries was considered easy. Usually. Battery 1147 was different. With batteries ahead of it being over run, ECA command had thought to send out some re-enforcements to the remaining batteries. That came in the form of two squads of Spec. Ops soldiers- in this case, Navy SEALS on loan from the US. The second Russian tanks were visible on the horizon, a call went out from the Gunnery Sergeant currently commanding the post. “Ruskies out to the west. Probably planning a flank attack. Get ready”. “Shit, on the west? Guys, get the gun over there” were the first words uttered by Pvt. First Class (PFC) Alex Jones, to describe the war. He would have many more later. As the Russians began advancing, they most likely assumed this would be another ECA battery, more of the same. They most certainly weren’t expecting what they got from the “Blackjacks” (Nickname for the 21’st airborne division, to which these SEAL’s were attached). Once the tanks got in close enough, they were suddenly being hit by everything in the outpost. Hardly a peaceful surrender. The heavy grenade launcher the squad had been carrying was suddenly firing as fast as it could be fed at the Russian Kodiak tanks (and slowly taking them out). The tanks couldn’t fire at this range (they had dismounted infantry up front) making them easy targets. As the infantry charged forward, they were met with heavy fire, and walking into a minefield. Things were looking up for the battery, as the Russian infantry started falling back towards vehicles being shredded by the heavy grenade launcher. Then… it happened. The ‘nade launcher was out of ammo, and the pops stopped. Picking up on this, the Russian infantry came back in full force, still being slaughtered by emplaced machine guns, but getting closer. Then the tanks started firing. It was discovered later that they had received orders from a local Lieutenant (who was later shot) that they should destroy the bunker at all costs. While this did mean the Russian infantry were in trouble, it also meant the ECA forces were. With the thunder of tank guns going off all over the place, the SEAL team (somehow intact) retreated into the bunker, guns pointed at the entrances, waiting for the inevitable. “Shit, guys, I guess this is it. I just want to say… I still hate you, mickey” Alex said. “Love you too”, Mickey, his best friend and eternal shooting rival responded. Seriously though, I’ll miss all ya guys. Then, the strangest of things happened- The thunder of tank guns stopped

Then… a man moved into the room (with 20 guns tracking him) “Get the fuck down, ruskie ass-fucker!” Alex put bluntly. “What, no respect for a resistance leader?” Kevin breathed, in perfect English. “Wait a second… you’re that guy… Kevin something, right?” Alex said, recognizing the mans face. “Yes”.

Paris, France. 0600 Hours, GMT
“In the early hours of this morning, Paris was hit with a massive barrage of Russian artillery”
-CNN News

“Sir, they fucked us up real good. Real. Fucking. Good. The manufacturing facilities in Paris are in bad shape, sir. We won’t turn another tank out of there this side of Christmas. That much, I can tell you”
-French Private, recounting the TREMOR strike

“The sky was black with shells this morning in paris, as the Russians decided to take their new “TREMOR” superweapon out for a test run. Allied manufacturing facilities in Paris, along with US investments, have taken massive damage. There is talk this will cause the United States of America to declare war at last. This is unconfirmed.
-BBC News

Chapter Two: Inside my Head

“So. You were sent here to watch me? To see me crush your nation beneath my boots? Or did they really think you would win? That I didn’t know? Don’t kid yourself, major. We. Know. Everything. We are the KGB”. With that, the KGB Major broke the nose of the captured CIA operative. Spitting blood, the CIA officer offered his last words of defiance “Really? Do you know what I know? Do you fucking know what I told my controller yesterday? We’re going to fuck you up. And it’ll be all your fault…” with that, the enraged KGB officer shot the American. They had been finding more and more of them lately… perhaps the CIA had been more effective than they had thought. Now that, was a chilling thought. But one to laugh over with his comrades at the star (now famous pub frequented by KGB operatives) tonight. But not to worry about now. Now, he had to focus on the cover story. He would be airdropped into the Netherlands tomorrow, and he could only hope it was all memorized. If it wasn’t… this Kevin figure was apparently known to be a very harsh interrogator…

“Lets roll men. Today, Holland. Tomorrow, England!”
-Brigadier General Kirkov, Russian Federation

The Russian army assembled in Poland was impressive. Rank upon rank of Kodiak tanks stood at rest, their crews lounging around outside. Things were looking up for the Federation. In the last week alone, they had pushed from their borders all the way to here. Unfortunately, the Americans had arrived, and the ECA had started funneling re-enforcements into the area. It had gotten very hot. Very fast. Now, the 2nd army was advancing, albeit slowly, against heavy resistance. However, they were advancing. That was the key thing, and it was all going according to plan so far. Most of the tankers had decided to defy regulation and sit outside their vehicles, enjoying lunch in the sun. The weather was surprisingly nice. “At this rate, we’ll be eating in London next Wednesday” one private quipped to another. Unfortunately, these were his last words. The ECA/USA alliance had decided they had something to say about the Russian forces massing behind the border. A (recently burned) CIA operative had provided the precise co-ordinates for an airstrike deep under Russian air cover. The alliance forces had decided to shake up the Russians a bit. By the time the Russian troopers saw the massive stealth bomber fly over head and release its MOAB, it was too late. Every single man of the 2nd armies first tank brigade, and all their equipment, was gone. Vaporized. So perhaps things weren’t going so well for the Russians…

“The Pak-FA is the best air platform we have developed. Ever. I believe they can fight head on with the new Euro-fighters the ECA has decided to deploy in a pathetic attempt to stop us. The new X-4 the US is developing will most definitely be a real threat, but our aircraft should be able to tear through the ECA airforce”. Sgt. Major. Centric, Engineering Brigade, Ural 4 (Aircraft R&D Facility)

Dmitiris Arkeyd’vich (the second) was a lot less confident in his aircraft than that damn engineer they kept quoting in the papers. Admittedly, the new Pak was damn fast, and he had no doubt that the eight ASM and 4 A2A missiles he was carrying would punch a big enough hole in any European or American aircraft he encountered to make sure it remained un-flight worthy for quite a while, but he still wasn’t sure. Perhaps the biggest failing here was the radar. One of his friends, <name removed> had recently been lit up by an American AMRAAM missile, but hadn’t known about it until the missile was within visual range. As the pilot had been operating at treetop level in an attempt to get his aircraft home below the radar horizon, he hit the trees as he fell. He was dead on the scene. The Russian Gadfly set up nearby hadn’t even been able to locate the aircraft that launched the missile. To this day, Dmitiris didn’t know what the Americans were fielding, or even if he would be able to see it. Hence, the fact that he was now flying at treetop level, at midnight, his vision augmented by NVG’s, the rest of his squad flying in tight formation, mere yards between their wingtips, with enough firepower to take out a small base. That was their job though, wasn’t it?
Well, Dmitiris thought, it was not time to reflect. Now was a time for action. “Alpha Lead- afterburners to full. Going on attack run”. Dmitiris heard the command and responded with a certain cool demeanor he couldn’t nail down except when flying, “Afterburners engage in three, two, one”. And with that, the flight was off. His squad was now flying at mach three. Twenty miles out from the suspected American encampment, he flipped his arming switch and hit the red button, releasing all eight of his Air2Surface missiles to local control (the onboard computer would choose its own target), and opening up with his 20 millimetre cannon. “Ok, boys, the jobs done, lets get the fuck out”, came his squad leaders cool order. As the Russian jets turned around, intent on returning to the warmth and (relative) comfort of his base, Dmitiri’s radar lit up. It was showing… impossible numbers of contacts. “SHIT” the Russian major’s scream was unheard by his comrades, who had already gone on after burner, trying to deal with the massive wave of American aircraft that were suddenly filling his radar with contacts. Shit… shit… shit… he didn’t know what to do. “Afterburners engaged” “Fuel insufficient for return flight” the computer chirped its depressing news. What would he do…?
kinda, sorta alive.

#8 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 00:41

Cool!

Edited by General Kirkov, 15 February 2009 - 20:38.

All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users