Toronto Propane Explosion

16 replies to this topic

#1 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:51

I wasn't really aware of this until recently tbh.

TORONTO (AP) -- Explosions at a propane facility forced thousands of people in Toronto to evacuate early Sunday, and witnesses described the sky lighting up in the glow of an enormous fireball before turning black with billowing smoke.

Firefighters were battling blazes at the Sunrise Propane Industrial Gasses facility hours later, and one firefighter died, authorities said. A worker at the plant was unaccounted for, said Mark Pugash, a spokesman for the Toronto police. Some residents suffered minor injuries.

The explosions early Sunday also shut down Canada’s busiest highway and a part of the subway system, snarling traffic for thousands of travelers. Mayor David Miller said the fire was under control, but the chance of another explosion still exists because it is a propane facility.

Some residents said the blast was so forceful they felt their homes rock as though they had been struck by an earthquake.

“It was just a tremendous explosion and blew all the windows out of the house, just blew the house up, and I just managed to get out of there in time,” said Robert Helman, who was covered in cuts and bruises as he fled his home.

Fearing the air had turned toxic, the police used bullhorns to order the estimated 12,500 residents within a mile radius of the plant to flee their homes immediately. Air quality tests later in the day showed the fumes were not toxic.

News source here.

A video showing the fireball. You'll see it close to the end, as the guy was recording something else before he became aware of it.

Edit: News from the after effects.

Northwest Toronto is picking itself up and dusting itself off after yesterday’s massive propane explosion turned the area around Wilson Ave. and Keele St. into a wasteland.

There’s a lot of dusting to do.

With some parts of the 1.6-kilometre evacuation area around the devastated Sunrise Propane Industrial Gases distribution plant still closed, mainly because of asbestos pollution, residents and business people are trying to get their lives back on track. Many say they don’t have insurance to pay for the damage.

A series of blasts just before 4 a.m. yesterday flung bright orange fireballs into the air and sent about 12,000 residents, many of them elderly, fleeing from their homes, most still in their night clothes.

As of midday, police spokesperson Mark Pugash said about 50 people would not be able to immediately return because their homes are uninhabitable, with “significant damage” including blown-out windows and destroyed siding.

Those people are being housed in an evacuation centre at York University. Pugash said he didn’t know of any houses levelled to the ground.

News source.

Edited by Soul, 11 August 2008 - 21:55.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#2 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:56

I didn't know that happen. O_o

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 21:56

Wow, that was a big boom allright.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:24

Holy guacamole, that must've been a BIG production facility :wahhhhhaa: ! Luckily propane burns up cleanly, into CO2 and water, or there'd be lots of toxic fallout from an explosion this big.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:27

That lighted up the whole Country, that looked indeed insane. :P

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:28

Chyros, on 12 Aug 2008, 1:24, said:

Holy guacamole, that must've been a BIG production facility :wahhhhhaa: ! Luckily propane burns up cleanly, into CO2 and water, or there'd be lots of toxic fallout from an explosion this big.

Depending on the amount of Oxygen, you could get some Carbon Monoxide produced, do we have news on casualties?

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:46

Carbon monoxide is never present in dangerous quantities in explosions and certainly not in fireballs.

As for the death rate: apparently there is one casualty, cause of death unknown. Apparently the area was well-contained and timely evacuated.

Edited by Chyros, 12 August 2008 - 00:47.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:30

Some people with minor injuries and there are very very few fatalities. Luckily I didn't live in that part of Toronto.
Posted Image

#9 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:53

I'm sorry but I found it hilarious when they ran to the bathroom. They likely thought it was a nuke. I'd have done something similar too though.

Edited by Overdose, 12 August 2008 - 01:55.

Posted Image

#10 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:59

Apparently the shockwave from the blast blew doors off their hinges.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#11 Nem

Director

• Gold Member
  • 1417 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:03

Overdose, on 11 Aug 2008, 21:53, said:

I'm sorry but I found it hilarious when they ran to the bathroom. They likely thought it was a nuke. I'd have done something similar too though.

I believe that video was fake, They took it right out of Cloverfeild.

EDIT: I did some digging, this is the real video.

Edited by Nem, 12 August 2008 - 02:10.

#12 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:15

I had noticed that too just recently. They were showing two angles of the thing and it was the same footage once the fireball was on screen they also used an effect to try to disguise it.
Posted Image

#13 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:36

Saw foutage on CTV (m) Looked rather big...
All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#14 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:49

It lit up the whole city O_O.

Found another video.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Code Monkey

( . Y . )

• 553 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:35

If I didn't know better (obviously) I would've thought that was a nuke and done the same thing the people in the video did. Very terrifying indeed. I mean, there's been afew oil plant explosions here in Houston, but nothing as big as the propane explosion. Hopefully it can be cleared up quickly and everything can go return to normal.
"A bullet sounds the same in every language, so if you can't communicate with your enemy, use your gun to translate."

Bored? Need something to occupy yourself? Well then visit this website for a good time.

My Favorite Suggestion for Shockwave from Soho

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks to -Drag- for my sig!

#16 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:04

Looks similar like the Firework Disaster in Enschede a few years ago. When do ppl learn they shouldn't store explosive things near urban areas... I hope it stays with 1 dead person :P
Posted Image

#17 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:02

lol saw than on the new was fuckin huge explosion lol whats with the worlds supply of propane these days plants all over the world are exploding

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users