Society fails

58 replies to this topic

#1 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:39

http://www.news.com....462-401,00.html

I'm quite literally speechless that people would do this.

Absolutely terrible.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:45

*Recalls thread about suicide*

I have no patience with the cry for help aspect of suicide, nor will I ever physically intervene. If there is someone holding up traffic by threatening to jump, I will tell them to either, "Jump and thus get out of my way, or stop being such a moron and climb down." then again if I had to climb up I would be more tempted to give them a push.

Depressed people are useless to society, they leech the health service and the time of medical professionals. I use the term depressed here for the 85% who do not suffer clinical depression, just sadness.

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:59

Still, IMO those people cheering should be thrown into a cell a few days to re-think their lives.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:59

View PostDauth, on 1 Oct 2008, 19:45, said:

Depressed people are useless to society, they leech the health service and the time of medical professionals. I use the term depressed here for the 85% who do not suffer clinical depression, just sadness.

I'm really not sure how to reply to that, other than saying that I'd probably consider myself part of that 85% a lot of the time these days with the stresses of uni and everything else (Thought I don't leech health service, I generally keep it to myself because I understand most people don't want to hear about it).

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:10

View PostDauth, on 1 Oct 2008, 10:45, said:

I have no patience with the cry for help aspect of suicide, nor will I ever physically intervene. If there is someone holding up traffic by threatening to jump, I will tell them to either, "Jump and thus get out of my way, or stop being such a moron and climb down." then again if I had to climb up I would be more tempted to give them a push.

My opinion is similar to dauths, except that I would, and have physically intervened to stop someone I care about taking their life. It looks to me, like it was the case with my friend, that this person wanted to kill themselves for no good reason. The behavior of the crowd is bad yes, but quite honestly nothing society does suprises me these days.

Of course society fails, its full of weak minded, stupid, ignorant people,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:50

One part of me feels sad that this is how people react to an obviously sad situation the other part of me thinks they are right.

#7 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 01 October 2008 - 13:09

The person attempting suicide should never be encouraged because you're assuming they'll never amount to anything. That's utterly, cruelly mistaken. If all they needed was to be shown that someone cared, how could you deny them that? Why is it not worth the slightest thought that someone is about to end the only time on this world they'll ever have far before their time, because they'd been maltreated and were sad and alone? Are you blaming all of their depression on them? If so, that hardly seems fair. They might have done more - possibly, you don't know, and if you don't know you shouldn't judge - they might not. But if all it takes is to care for a second, how is that not worth your time? Are humans so worthless to you?
About the people who encouraged him, I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. I don't think they had any idea, and I hope they all lose sleep tonight, though I don't expect it for most of them. If anyone appreciated death truly I can't believe they'd wish it on someone else.

Edited by CommanderJB, 01 October 2008 - 13:09.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 13:24

I'm certainly not for encouraging suicide, but if someone of sound mind really doesn't want to live anymore it should be their choice to end their life.
Closer to the original topic - wouldn't these people be charged for being an accessory to murder?

Posted Image

#9 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 01 October 2008 - 13:29

I agree; I have no problem with euthanasia, and as you say if they truly understand what it is they're doing then I wouldn't seek to deny them that, no matter how misguided I may think they are. Most people who commit suicide, however, are very far from sound of mind. There's no justification for encouraging them.

Edited by CommanderJB, 01 October 2008 - 13:30.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 14:39

View PostAlias, on 1 Oct 2008, 15:24, said:

I'm certainly not for encouraging suicide, but if someone of sound mind really doesn't want to live anymore it should be their choice to end their life.
Closer to the original topic - wouldn't these people be charged for being an accessory to murder?
Accessory to suicide, perhaps. Not that that exists but I still think a night in a cell would do them good.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 14:59

View PostAlias, on 1 Oct 2008, 14:24, said:

I think any prosocuter would be high to try that.

#12 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 01 October 2008 - 17:43

View PostDauth, on 1 Oct 2008, 5:45, said:

So back when I was in a depressed state of mind and was planning on killing myself, you think I should of done it?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#13 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 17:50

No, I think you should have done what I did when I felt depressed. Got over it with minimal fuss.

If I'd taken you to the top of a tall building and shown you the ledge, would you have jumped? That decision is yours and yours alone (and I will not stop anyone from jumping, I actually believe in freedom). I would however have told you to make your mind up and stop wasting the time of the rest of society with some teenage angst.

*Moved to PC*

#14 Houdini

Casual

• 52 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 17:56

the sad truth is that those youths won't get charged with murder; even though they should be hung, drawn and quartered for such sickening behaviour. How the hell did it come to this?

#15 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 01 October 2008 - 17:59

This is britain, the dominant youth culture is unfortunately chav culture, honestly what they did wasn't nice, but thats nice compared to some things they do. They say we are breeding a nation of idiots, and its unfortunately absolutely true.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 18:00

It's not murder, it's evolution in action. Someone with a stronger sense of will would have climbed down, well actually not even climbed up. At worst its a Social Science Case Study.

#17 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 18:16

It's not murder, it's evolution in action. Someone with a stronger sense of will would have climbed down, well actually not even climbed up. At worst its a Social Science Case Study.

This is not about the one that jumped, it's about the people that cheered him on. Which I personally find completely disgusting. Saying that it's not their fault but of the one who jumped is way too easy IMHO. Irrespective of what the jumper did or why he did it, there is no excuse for that cheering.

Edited by Chyros, 01 October 2008 - 18:16.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 01 October 2008 - 18:27

See now, I have problems with this "social evolution". It justifies the actions of the Nazis.

#19 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 18:34

I never said anything about engineering the solution. I just said let it happen and be done with it.

#20 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 19:33

It's not the people that jeered him that I have a problem with really, they are just RL trolls. It's the fact that the kid got up there in the first place. It's just the whole emo culture where they promote rediculous attention seeking ideas between themselves, It spreads to others, and new extremes are reached when some poor mentally ill fellow takes an idea too far.
Posted Image

#21 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 01 October 2008 - 20:03

What I find most sickening is the fact they went passed police to take pictures of the body.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:07

Surely that is instructive as to what happens to a human body when it impacts on the ground?

#23 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:19

View PostDauth, on 1 Oct 2008, 17:07, said:

Surely that is instructive as to what happens to a human body when it impacts on the ground?

I seriously doubt those people took pictures for that reason. Probably they would have uploaded the pics on to Facebook just to say: "I saw some guy kill himself."

This suicidal person was seeking attention. Humans by nature are social creatures and require human interaction and attention. He climbed the building to get that attention, and indeed he received attention from the masses. However, instead of encouraging the kid to do the right thing, they asked him to take his life. How can these people regard death as such a mundane thing? Yes its true that death occurs in the hundreds, probably thousands daily, but shouldn't one think that he only has one shot at life? Why cut it short now? Chances are you'll live another half century if you're 20 in the UK. Benefit from that extra time. By the way, I fully support euthanasia for terminal illnesses but that is for another thread.
Posted Image

#24 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 21:51

That's peer pressure and mob mentality at work. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected of a bunch of kids.

-Rorschach

#25 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:06

If the fact that people were cheering him on actually swayed his decision, he didn't have much to live for.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users