Data Recovery

6 replies to this topic

#1 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 21:42

So, lately my PC has been really freaky with me. I figured it would need another reformat as it had been a while. Unfortunately, this afternoon before I could do anything, it suddenly said it couldn't start up windows, because there were certain files missing within the WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder. Great, I thought i was fucked and I was right, in no way could I make my PC go back to windows. If certain files are missing. I tried hitching some other computer-tongued people but they all couldn't do much with it. They all concluded that my installation was corrupted.

The only option I had was in the blue boot screen, choosing the System Restore option. I do not have an installation CD as this installation came as OEM with the PC, only a partition on the hard drive which is for this System restore utility, which in essence, restores all installation files and drivers to the factory settings, without deleting data files, with the exception of My Documents. Why My documents exactly needs to be victim of this cleanse, remains a mystery to me, but it is my problem.

After the restore and on my new account, I indeed concluded that all original data files on C were still there, with the exception of everything in the My Documents folder. I had already forsaken my old My Documents folder. However. I had two accounts when I initiated the restore. After it, I got into this blue music screen which, at a new installation, guides you to creating a first account.

So, all account details have been deleted, I thought. Fine. Searching for SOME way to restore the deleted files, I came across the Documents and Settings folder ofcourse. In here, I found the directories where they would normally be had my PC not failed. Start Windows (the old public account used by my parents, they demanded it on here) without a password has it's directory, and because it has no password, I can probably see in it as an administrator. I found here, all the files of the my documents folder that were on the Start Windows account. Another thing is that my own old MD folder, from the old admin account of myself, had about 40 GB of files in it. When I look upon my C drive which has a total of 180 GB of free space, there is only 16 GB free. It was nearly full before the restore. Shouldn't there be much more free space?

I said my old account also had a directory in Documents and Settings. This one account had a password, and point is, I can't get into that directory through this, New account. Access denied, big No error. However, with the other, not passworded account's files being preserved, I have hopes that in there, some lost files may still be there. File recovery on my documents wont work as apparently a new user account had to be created with a new documents folder. When I look up the properties of the old admin folder, it says it has no content, though.

The major problem with this is that, although the folders still exist, for Windows, the accounts are no more. I want to get into my old admin folder (HP_Eigenaar). My new admin account is named HP_Eigenaar as well (the PC does that automatically) but in Docs and Settings, the folder is named HP Eigenaar.MYULTIMATE2, the latter part being the name I gave to the PC in the blue account creation screen after the restore.

This is a very long story, I know, and I may just not get anything out of it. But if some files are still there somewhere, I would like to get to them. Howver, how do I get into a passworded accounts files, when windows doesn't know the account exists anymore...

:crosseye:

Edited by Aftershock, 03 October 2008 - 22:00.

Posted Image

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 22:10

Dual boot with linux, it will ignore any pw protection and give you direct access, copy out what you need (backup somewhere) wipe the computer (if possible) and reinstall.

#3 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 22:13

I'll have to figure that out then 8|
Posted Image

#4 jnengland77

Amateur

• Gold Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 23:00

If you have a external HD. You could try PartedMagic Linux livecd. It's a lite download of 45 MB. Just download and burn to a CD. Although it's designed for repartitioning your hard drive, it should work fine and _will_ include the latest ntfs support. Which in Linux hasn't been very good in the past, but it's now pretty good. So it'll be able to look into ntfs, and copy your files easilly. Just use pcmanfm, which PartedMagic uses as a file manger to copy your files to an external hard drive. And you can format and reinstall Windows.

I think that's the fastest and easiest way to do this. No need to install Linux on your machine or anything.

~jnengland77
ps. Here's the link.

Edited by jnengland77, 03 October 2008 - 23:21.

#5 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 23:07

In regards to Dauth's suggestion I believe you could use an Ubuntu Live CD. No install required.

Posted Image

#6 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:56

One late question to jnengland. Do you need an external hard drive to move the files on with that Partedmagic live CD. Is it not possible to just move the files outside of the protected folder on the same partition of the hard drive?
Posted Image

#7 jnengland77

Amateur

• Gold Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 18:19

Yeah, you could probably just move (probably better to copy) the files from the protected area to a non-protected area of the drive.

Good luck
~jnengland77

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users