Who wants to fly??

22 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:14

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7656171.stm

Seems to be very closely related to this, being this.

*looks for alternative means for next business trip*

#2 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:22

Qantas' recent air safety record has been shocking, and while I do think they're a good airline the sheer number of times it's happened in a very short period recently has cast serious doubt over their abilities to maintain a nice simple, safe service. I'd still fly with them but I couldn't really blame others for not doing so at this rate.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:25

In fairness it is rather unlikely to be there fault here. More a meteorolgical distubance than a mechncial fault. If it was they'd all be dead.

#4 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:54

If the 737 has a hydrolic-fluid problem I am sure it froze and if the pilot steered the plane to the right it will surely go to the left, but good thing it's fixed many years ago after two planes crashed in the US and those are the worst aviation crash in history it was very sad to see it if you where watching National Geographic Channel- Air Crash Investigation. And I qoute you AJ_ that if with proper maintenance an old plane more than 19 years in flight can be still used, but even with maintenance a plane could still crash like what happened in Japan with 4 survivors.

Edited by Papaya Master Rai, 07 October 2008 - 13:18.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 13:06

Meh - air incidents are never fun, and are often cannon-fodder for the press. For the most part, flight is safe - the laws of physics dictate that it must be. However, as somebody that hates flying with a passion (done it waaaay too often), that isn't enough anymore, as more and more mechanical errors seem to be hitting the planes currently in use, which doesn't instil belief in any passenger. I'd agree with Wizard that this probably wasn't Quantas's fault in that if it had been, the plane would have simply fallen out of the sky. Sadly, there are far worse airlines to fly with that are using old, decrepit planes that shouldn't be allowed in the air - I remember flying with Lloyd Air Boliviano (Bolivian airline if you hadn't guessed), and their planes were horrific to fly in - they looked like they hadn't had much work done on them since the 70s - the same goes for Gol, a Brazillian airline that has a phenomenally bad safety record. Then there's all manner of other things such as airport staffing/runway maintenance to be looked at - the crash in Brazil last year was because of water on the short runway, as well as the plane landing too late - killed everyone on board. There are certainly flaws that need to be addressed in aviation at the moment, but I can't see it happening due to severe cash flow problems.
For there can be no death without life.

#6 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 07 October 2008 - 23:54

I'm not really saying it's not Qantas' fault - though we don't know that for sure - just that their overall record has been blighted by about five incidents, several of them severe, in the last few months. As I said, I'm still confident that I could fly with them without undue fear of dying, but with the very unfortunate trend they've been building I can't blame others for thinking differently.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Lord PieMonster

Amateur

• 149 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:09

if you compare the number of accidents per mile traveled for flying and driving, flying is actually phenomenally safer. I'm getting my pilot's license, I'va asked my instructor about this. You actually have a much, much higher chance of dying in a car accident than you do in a plane. after all, do you do a complete pre-drive check of all components of your car's electronics and engine, and maintain radio contact with everyone around you while you drive?

if you answer yes, i dont believe you.

anyways, just some food for thought

#8 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:30

Oh, I totally agree, which is why I love flying and feel entirely at home in the air. This can hardly be ignored however;
7 October: Airbus A330 makes emergency landing in Western Australia after "sudden change in altitude" injures up to 40 people
2 Aug: 767 returns to Sydney after hydraulic fluid leak in wing
28 July: 737 returns to Adelaide with landing gear cover problem
25 July: 747 diverted to Manila after hole appears in fuselage
Especially as the last one was caused by an oxygen bottle detonating near the wing root, which is an extremely serious incident by anyone's measure.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:09

If the airline company had "no evidence of falling safety standards", then what caused the failure? Omitted checking/maintenance perhaps? End-of-life-cycle parts? non-OEM parts (which is worse, considering the current cash crash, thus resolving to use "pirated" parts)

Too many to check if you ask me.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:01

View PostCommanderJB, on 8 Oct 2008, 2:30, said:

Oh, I totally agree, which is why I love flying and feel entirely at home in the air. This can hardly be ignored however;
7 October: Airbus A330 makes emergency landing in Western Australia after "sudden change in altitude" injures up to 40 people
Especially as the last one was caused by an oxygen bottle detonating near the wing root, which is an extremely serious incident by anyone's measure.

I'd love to show you some of the information on the number of aircraft incidents that happen daily. For my work I get a market bulletin, which contains details of all notable shipping, political, civil, engineering and aviation "incidents". The number of notices about plane crashes, emergency landings, incidents, near misses and other problems has risen dramatically in the last 3 months. A huge amount that would actually scare the bejesus out of a large number of people. I don't know why this has risen so dramatically and recently but it is sure-as-shit worrying.

#11 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:34

I should also mention that the reason has now been established as a faulty flight computer, which does kind of put the blame squarely at Qantas' feet. Oh well.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:34

I love flying, when I was in the air cadets I went to the local RAF station on weekends and flew small 2 seater propeller planes. Loved it.
Even with a rise in accidents on commercial airlines I would still fly with most air line companies, I just enjoy it too much. If there is an accident I just hope that I came out of it without any serious/permanent injuries or it kills me.

Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:26

Wierd isn't it. Driving a car is infintely more dangerous yet people find flying more scary. Just a few accidents can put people off, thats understandable I suppose, but why doesn't the same happen for car travel? Is it just because its considered a neccesity, whereas flying is a luxury? Maybe its because the car has become so much a part of society we just presume nothing bad will happen. Or we accept that bad stuff can happen, and just hope to god it won't.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:58

I think it is also along the lines that when you drive a car you are the one in control, whereas (typically) if you are travelling by air you are not the one in control. A lot of people find false security in the fact that they are the one in charge.

Posted Image

#15 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:26

Or the fact that death by air accident is usually more gruesome.

#16 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:57

It'd probably be much quicker though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:40

I'd say slower. In a crash mostly slower.

Car: SLAM - dead.

Air: *hits ground* *parts flying arround nailing the passengers* etc etc etc - finally dead.

#18 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:59

Depends entirely upon the individual accident in question, I suppose, but if you do a nosedive in a passenger jet you probably won't even notice you're dead.

Edited by CommanderJB, 10 October 2008 - 10:00.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:53

This'll probably appear on today's news...I'm gonna see if they've made any progress on the investigation. lol @ heard crash
Posted Image

#20 Pulse

• 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 19:23

meh no news is good news its all bad

#21 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:25

ADDITIONAL:

Media is to (partially) blame the "wrong notions" people get whenever they see an airplane mishap.

The rate of accidents in land-based transport is so frequent that it almost became a daily facet of life. It is just like a dog bites a man. (Read: Not News).

However, if there is an airplane incident (or crash), media covers the scene from top to toe, in full HD color. Airplane accidents is fewer when compared to automobile accidents, but media had added some "factors" that would make the event "very catchy" to the John Q. Public, with the usual catchphrases and headlines such as "Death in the Skies", "Flying Metallic Coffin", etc. It is just like a man bites the dog. (Read: Hot News).

When the two types of accidents were juxtaposed with each other, which will get more viewership?

Again.

Automobile accident: A dog bites a man.
Airplane accident: A man bites a dog.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#22 Rade

Veteran

• 443 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 00:08

View PostCommanderJB, on 8 Oct 2008, 3:30, said:

yesterday 737 from German XL Airways had to make emergency landing because of the fire on the left engine http://avherald.com/...=40e80efc&opt=0 good thing is that no one got hurt.
Posted Image

#23 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:08

View PostCommanderJB, on 7 Oct 2008, 21:22, said:

Qantas' recent air safety record has been shocking, and while I do think they're a good airline the sheer number of times it's happened in a very short period recently has cast serious doubt over their abilities to maintain a nice simple, safe service. I'd still fly with them but I couldn't really blame others for not doing so at this rate.

you know keep in mind Qantas has never had a fatal air craft accident apart from when 8 where shot down in world war 2 when Qantas aircraft were operating on behalf of Allied military forces 2 more in post war. Qantas is the safest airline in the world with zero fatalities XD

edit: spelling and grammar lol

Edited by Major Fuckup, 11 November 2008 - 02:15.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users