Vote for the Default FS Forum skin

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Skin should be the Fallout default forum skin (33 member(s) have cast votes)

decide what becomes the new default skin for the boards

1. Fallout Orange (current new default) (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. Fallout Blue (old default) (17 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

Vote

#1 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:24

Well Members of FS it's been a good week since we had Ground Zero but during the development the staff and administrators had a little discussion on which forum skin should be the default and we thought we would let you decide this matter.

In lieu of this we have brought up this poll, please choose between FS Blue and FS Orange.
Posted Image

#2 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:28

I like more the blue one, it's simple, but awesome, it does not hurt in the eyes and I like it because it's the one I get used to see every day :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#3 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:28

I personally rather like the orange. Both are of course fantastic but the new theme seems to fit the idea of 'fallout' that much better IMHO. Plus it seems fancier in places, though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. So orange for me. A change is nice sometimes.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:29

Orange, tough call though.

Posted Image

#5 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:34

I prefer the Blue one because that one doesn't kill your eyes when you're watching the forums at night :P
Posted Image

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:41

Traditionally, I'd say the blue, as that was the previous default... but in contrast I'd say the orange, as it represents the step forward we've taken with the name change.

Hence I cast a null vote.

Posted Image

#7 Arkhadancia

Amateur

• Tester
  • 134 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days Beta Tester.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:27

View PostSergeant Major J. Kid, on 12 Oct 2008, 13:28, said:

I like more the blue one, it's simple, but awesome, it does not hurt in the eyes and I like it because it's the one I get used to see every day :P

Same for me.

Edit for CodeCat : I think blue-skin is more welcoming for a new member.

- Arkhadancia

Edited by Arkhadancia, 12 October 2008 - 13:59.

#8 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 13:25

I'd like to note here that this is *NOT* a vote for which one you like best. It's a vote for which one should be the default. You people can all select whatever skin you prefer either way, so it's really only a matter of which skin a guest will see.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:02

I personally like orange better, but the blue one is more suitable as a default IMO, because it's much calmer and simpler.
Log: modified poll, I clicked the wrong thing >.>
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:07

View PostCodeCat, on 12 Oct 2008, 14:25, said:

I'd like to note here that this is *NOT* a vote for which one you like best. It's a vote for which one should be the default. You people can all select whatever skin you prefer either way, so it's really only a matter of which skin a guest will see.

Quoted to emphasize the point.

I have voted for Fallout Orange, not because I spent the time making it, or because I like it better than Bob's, but the release was supposed to move the forum away from what we were. Setting the default to blue is a link to the past that I think defeats the object of the all the work we did do.

#11 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:39

View PostBob (from staff forum), on 28 Sep 2008, 0:26, said:

Orange for me. We need to change the default to something else, to show that the forum actually has changed, if we don't change, people will just perceive this as a name change, with an extra skin thrown in as a present. Where as, if we change the default skin to a new skin, people will perceive this has a forum change... which is the whole point. Like code said, you can always change the skin from the default.

My view remains the same.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#12 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 12 October 2008 - 14:44

Orange is "change we can believe in." Sorry for the political reference but I agree with those above me when it comes to saying how using the orange as a default skin would indicate the steps taken forward by the community as a whole to a change in the whole forum and not just the name.
Posted Image

#13 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:16

Blue. Newcomers (save lurkers) don't know what the old default theme was, and we still can use whatever skin we like, so (considering the benefit of using a cooler colour) the point of representing 'change' is kinda moot IMO.

I see the Orange skin as a nice substitute to Soyuz Sovyetskih as a secondary forum skin.

#14 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:24

If i saw this forum as a guest and it was orange it would put me off it, just because it genuinely hurts my eyes. (No offense Wizard, its made really well and its an awesome skin).
And for Bob's point i don't agree, the new guests don't care if the forum has moved on as they won't know the old one but they mite be put off by the vibrant skin. But on the other hand i do see Bob's point, people may not understand the changes on the forum and the fact it would be a waste of wizards time and effort put into making the amazing skin.

But my opinion that the orange is too bright still stands, that's why i voted for Blue.
Unless there anyway the "Orange skin" could be changed or toned down and placed into a separate skin or is that too much work?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#15 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:37

Fallout Blue. Mostly because its much easier on the eye.
Posted Image

#16 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:48

View PostCrazykenny, on 13 Oct 2008, 1:37, said:

Agreed, and not only this but also the blue looks much more professional and much more calm. The orange makes a perfect substitute IMO though for default I say blue all the way:)

#17 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:49

View PostCrazykenny, on 12 Oct 2008, 11:37, said:

Honestly, I'd say the gray is even more soothing. The bits of orange keep you focused on the page.
Posted Image

#18 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 12 October 2008 - 15:54

By that logic the variety of colours in signatures and avatars keeps me even more focused.

Sorry for the off-topic :(

#19 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 16:04

View PostThe Dr, on 12 Oct 2008, 16:24, said:

Unless there anyway the "Orange skin" could be changed or toned down and placed into a separate skin or is that too much work?

Wizard would have to do every single icon/button/placeholder again which would be an awful lot of work.

As for me, Fallout Orange - it's distinctive, it's different, and it matches the Wiki, which is mainly what this change was all about. No point in having unsynchronised pages now is there?
For there can be no death without life.

#20 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 12 October 2008 - 16:04

Im suprised so many people voted for blue :O

Personally Id go for the new Orange skin, it looks brilliant and original

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 16:20

If i saw this forum as a guest and it was orange it would put me off it, just because it genuinely hurts my eyes. (No offense Wizard, its made really well and its an awesome skin).

I didn't see it as being that bright. :P You should've seen my first choice option :dope:

But my opinion that the orange is too bright still stands, that's why i voted for Blue.

View PostAJ_, on 12 Oct 2008, 17:04, said:

Wizard would have to do every single icon/button/placeholder again which would be an awful lot of work.

Yes I would and whilst I have no objection to doing so it is safe to say that you'll be waiting a hell of a long to see it done.

I am slightly surprised at how many peeps aren't in favour of changing a skin that other people see and they won't? I don't take it as a personal attack or anything, but we all worked very hard to make Fallout a change from what it was. It just seems pointless to keep to blue, because "you" like to browse with it, when we are trying to differentiate from the old E-Studios. I like Bob's skin and have been chopping and changing from both regularly since Ground Zero, but it is what E-Studios was, not what Fallout is. IMHO anyway. Each to their own.

#22 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 12 October 2008 - 16:43

I voted Orange. Blue is too much ES, no offense to anyone but that's just what the color makes me feel like. Orange is difference, change. It's more suitable to FS.
Posted Image

#23 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 16:52

I wont vote because my main skin is the Soviet one but if id really need to choose it would be Blue. I tried both of em. Blue may be "too ES" but at least you wont have problems readings stuff
Posted Image

#24 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:03

Orange fits more with the new name, and has the added bonus of looking really good. So I choose orange.

#25 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:56

Orange, simply because we need new, not old for a change, although I really like the blue.
You almost did, didn't you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users