Kami:Also Spracht Zarathustra, Ishbal

5 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 17 October 2008 - 00:09

K, was getting kind of bored but didn't want to put whole book up. It consists mainly of 4 archs (the main book I mean). Those archs are the:

• 1) Main: Kami -Ragnarok- Arch, not to be confused with 3rd book's name
  • 2) WII: Fuhrer Kamui, short WII arch that will be REALLY significant in book 3
  • 3) God Arch: Ishbal (means God in the Shambalan Language), VERY vital to backstory and begins the very beginning of the obssesion (at least as far back as Trace can remember... yes, it does go much, much farther back) and sets the backstory for the new world of Kami: Also Sprach Zarathustra

Please note that the it is what is after the colon that is the arch's real name, in other words,
1) Kami- Ragnarok-, 2) Furher Kamui, and 3) Ishbal. I am planning a fourth, but can't come up with a good one but it's okay since it won't be introduced until about halfway through the book.... at least.... Also, I will ONLY put up this Arch for now... but I know no one will ask, but just wanted to say that. Also, please, do not merge any posts including of a new story and an old explanatory post.. thank you, I'll put parts 1+2 up tomorrow.
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#2 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:16

Sorry, thick question, but what do you mean by an 'Arch'? A literal arch a la Arc de Triomphe, a heavenly arch featured in mythology, a story arch, what?

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:43

A story arch obviously, like a subplotline.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#4 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:32

So what exactly is contained in each 'arch'? A separate set of events which integrate into an overall storyline? And why are they named after gods, or is it just a more interesting way of doing 'Part I, Part II, Part III etc"/chapters?

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:54

View PostCommanderJB, on 17 Oct 2008, 13:32, said:

So what exactly is contained in each 'arch'? A separate set of events which integrate into an overall storyline? And why are they named after gods, or is it just a more interesting way of doing 'Part I, Part II, Part III etc"/chapters?

Glad you asked! Someone's finally interested! Okay, this is meant to be named after Gods, and there's a reason why. Don't forget this book is about Ragnarok... the end of the Gods... Arc 2 is only different because of the role the character Kamui will take, something that will not be obvious till book three. Anyway.... yes, they are named after gods, the first one though is called Kami because that's the name of the tri-(maybe quadro)-logy... it's called Raganarok because that's where the events of Ragnarok take place. You'll find out why 3 is called Ishbal as you read... and no it is not as obvious as it looks at first... just be patient.

Also, no this has nothing to do with making the titles more interesting and yes, all the archs will come together..... in the end. I might put up Fuhrer Kamui too, but I'll wait until I get to chapter two of that. Please remember that these books are considered as normal chapters so part 1 may be chapter 1 and part 2 may be chapter 7 (which they are), also remember that if you have any criticism (good/bad) and/or advice, please make sure to post it, gonna post part 1 right away.

EDIT: ALMOST FORGOT!! Despite the serious and dark tone of this arch, compared to others like the Medevil from book 2 (yes I'm already thinking that far ahead... I actually have the end of part 3 made up, AND the epilogue!), please note how all the chapters are named after some kind of kind of berry.... funny, but a reason for it.

Ok, part 1, you've read it before- probably- and I hope you enjoyed it too... bloodberries.

Chapter 2: Bloodberries
She couldn’t hold herself back anymore, she was so happy! Finally, she would get to see her dad! It had been a long time, last time had been…. right after the incident with the warlords? She hadn’t seen him in almost a year. Too happy to care about anything else, the little girl skipped towards home. Subaru stopped dead, what was that? Was it…. crying? She looked around…. no one….. Subaru started to get scared, what had happened? She looked around one last time, “Is anyone there?” She followed the sound, running towards, maybe someone had been hurt!…. That would be bad.

She searched followed the sound until it finally led her to a little boy- no older than her- curled up in the shade of a tree, “did you get hurt?” She looked at him, it would still be a few hours until her dad got home, maybe she could help him. Yes. Subaru thought to herself, she didn’t have very many friends anyway. “Hello?” He looked up at her, he looked perfectly fine to her. “Why are you-”

“I’m lost, and I can’t find my way home.”

“Really?” She stopped to think for a second. “I know! You can come talk to my dad! He’s real smart, he’s one of the detektives, you know?” A few seconds passed by, had he heard her?

“R-really!?!” He wiped his tears away, a smiled spreading across his face.

“Yeah, but…..” she turned around to look at the street and then back at him. “He’s not going to be home until later, so you’ll have to wait.”

“Okay.” She noticed he hadn’t moved an inch from where she’d found him.

“Are you lonely?” He nodded. “Good, then we can hang out!” He laughed, she was funny. She sat down next to him. “My dad adopted me a few years ago, but I don’t have a lot of friends because of that, so I get lonely too… the kids here are….” She dug her face into her own knees, “so mean to me, they call me a demon….” She thought for a second again…. “I know! Let’s go to the park!” She looked up at him, smiling.

“Okay, I know where that is.” He got up and helped her up. “I’ll race you there.”

“Hah, you’re not gonna win!”

“Am too!”

“Are not!” She told him, already running. He smiled, trying to catch up.

“Hey, you cheated!” They both laughed, they had finally made a friend.

The little boy rolled onto the soft cushioned floor and raised his hands in the air. “I-I win!” He took a second to catch his breath and Subaru followed in second, breathing hard. So…fast! She thought to herself, she had never met anyone like this.

“Too-too fast!” They both laughed. “The swings! Push me, come on!”

“Why do I-” Trace started to complain, but she just glared at him.

“Just shut up and do it!” She ordered him.

“Okay, okay.”

She ran into one of them, the one on the farthest right, and smiled. “I want this one!” He nodded, approaching her as he did so, what a hyperactive little girl….

Trace had gotten within five feet of her when he heard- clapping? “Hey there Subaru, who’s this?” Trace turned around, a group of kids, each child older than both of them, was walking towards them. “Who’s this guy?” The oldest boy was speaking. “Hello? Aren’t you ’gonna answer.” He reached down and picked up a rock, mirrored by the other boys.

The small boy, knowing what was about to happen, ran up in front of Subaru, his arms spread out. “B-back away!” Trace took a step forward towards them.

“Oh, isn’t that cute?.... Just bloody-” he pulled his arm back, “CUTE!!” He threw the pebble with full force, aiming at the boy and it hit him dead center in the chest. Trace didn’t move back at all, trying to suppress the pain, but his face betrayed him, telling them the truth. “Oh, come on guys, throw it!”

Without hesitating, everyone in the group started to launch stones at him, even the girls joined in. One of the girl’s stones hit him right in the head, knocking him out instantly, but nobody stopped, they just laughed and kept on going, ignoring Subaru completely.

“I’ll be back!” Subaru started to run, running as fast as she could, if she could get home- Two of the girls in the group started chase after her, but the leader of the group told them to forget it, and instead, turned to the small boy. Nobody was throwing rocks anymore, but no one seemed to care that he was bleeding and hurt, nor that he was down on the ground, outcold even the adults that passed by didn’t seemed to care.

The oldest boy saw the little one’s eyes start to open. “What’s your name kid?”

“T-Trace.” He struggled to get up, there were at least fifteen, no! There were about twenty or thirty kids. The oldest one (the leader) walked up to him a marker in hand.

“You see, Trace, you and that little bitch of yours are not natural, and we- the purifiers- shall make sure you are dealt with. He pulled up his hand, “and of course, you- just like every demon- should be branded so those who don’t know what you are- are warned and know just what you are!” There was nothing short of hostility in his voice. He pulled on Traces hand and started to draw pentagrams and other demonic symbols until he felt satisfied. “Now, you’re other hand.”

Trace looked around, four of them had bats, and at least six more had other forms of weapons. “Get away from me… get away-” Trace felt his rage start to build up, this bastard… he had called-

The leader stopped cold, what had he- “What did you- Did you just give us an order!?! Now, I’m afraid we’ll have to teach you a lesson in manners too. You are not of this world, and as such-”

“You hurt me, I’m okay with that, the first thing I saw when I got here was you, and the first I felt was a punch, but now….” The boy pulled on Trace’s arm and heard him mumbling, “five….four….three….two….”

“What are you-” Trace pulled his arm back with all his force, the fourteen year old caught on in time to retaliate, but compared to the small boy, he was weaker than a bug. Trace threw him towards ground and got up, his body swaying from side to side, a sick grin on his face. “You are right…I am…. a monster….. but you have hurt her before and I cannot….. forgive that.” The Emil (the fourteen year old) got up, pissed off, humiliated!

Without thinking, he snatched a bat from one of the boys and pulled his arm back. Emil swung down with all his strength, all his anger committed into that one blow. Halfway through, however, he found himself unable to move the bat. He pushed down, but Trace held it steady. “You little-” Trace pulled down on the bat, sending Emil flying towards the ground. Before he landed, however, Trace grabbed his neck, stopping him halfway down.

“You all…. deserve to die.” The girls took a step back as well as some of the boys, horrified. This boy… Trace, was too strong, too strong for his age and size. There was no way he could be a like them, no way he could be-

“You little bastard, I’m gonna-” Trace tightened his grip, the force instantly crushed the Emil’s neck and as a result, the entire body went limp, his mouth still open. He let the body go, laughing, this was going to be fun. Trace turned to face the rest of the kids.

“Who else wants to… die?” A boy, almost frozen in fear, took a step forward and with a bat in his hands charged at him. Trace moved aside and thrust his hand forward, cutting through the boy’s body. Trace whispered something into his ear as the fat boy died, “Burn in hell.” Trace withdrew his bloody hand, leaving a hole in the boy’s body reasonably larger than his own hand. Trace started to laugh louder than the last time. “You should never have hurt little Sub-”

Trace froze stiff, for the first time noticing the two arms wrapped tightly around him. Tears landed on his shoulders and ran down his neck, Subaru’s tears. Trace tried to calm himself down, trying to suppress his rage, his bloodlust.

“Self-defense, I would say.” Trace felt a tall shadow swallow his own body, an adult, he could tell without looking back. “Now, how about you kids leave before I decide to press charges against you?” Not wanting to get him mad again, all the kids dropped their weapons and ran. Shaking his head the older man turned to Trace. “Are you okay buddy.” Kids could be so cruel, why where they so cruel?

Realizing what he’d done, Trace felt hot tears start to run down his face as well, what had he done? He started to cry. The man smiled, how sweet, they both cried together, “come on, I’ll deal with this, you can go home.” He glanced at the bodies, this was bad, what could he do, this boy was an outsider, no one liked outsiders, especially not the Shambalans.

“I-I’m lost.” Trace retorted, still crying.

“What? Where do you live?” He squatted down so that they could see eye to eye.

Trace pointed up at the sky. “I-I-was watching when I fell down.” The older man looked at the boy, confused, what was he-

“Watching what?”

“I was watching Subaru and I got too close.” His crying had lightened up, both of theirs had, and he sounded happier too, was that good? To get over killing another person that quickly?

“Why were you-”

“Because she called me, but my parents didn’t let me come, and now I’m…. lost.”

“I still don’t get it what are you trying to say?”

Trace sighed, he was no longer crying, and his voice seemed unscathed by what he had done, he was completely over it. Lionel, however, could see his daughter was still crying, afraid. “I was walking and then I heard someone call me so I looked down and saw Subaru, she was calling me, saying, “Trace, please don’t go, Trace.” I was confused too, but-” The old man smiled, what a cute kid, he liked his daughter. With a laugh, he nodded as Trace finished the story. Poor boy, must have lost his parents too… maybe in the war….. what a shame.

“I don’t know how you can get back up, to be honest, but how about you live with me for now, that way when you grow up, we see if we can take you there, what’s your name.” He held out his hand. Trace raised his hand and Lionel suppressed a grin, the mind of a child could be such a beautiful thing.

“I’m Trace, Trace Ashikawa.” Trace shook hands with the man, smiling as he did so.

“I’m Lionel Herrington, and this is my daughter Subaru Hiwatari and my wife’s is name Akemi Hiwatari.” He let go of Trace’s hand, “you see, you don’t need to cry.”

“But, I-” He looked at the bodies, “I killed people.”

“Trace, don’t cry, for now, someday you’ll understand that certain things happen for a reason.” Trace nodded. “And you too Subaru, these boys tried to kill you, now, understand this: violence is always wrong, but sometimes, to save a life you must take one yourself, then and only then is it acceptable. Now come on, I’ll deal with the police, get back home.”

Lionel noticed Subaru hadn’t let go of Trace, nor had she stopped crying, what a sweet girl. Trace smiled and asked her to stop. “Well you too, go, go on.” When they had left he sighed, great, paperwork! He spat at the ground next to the kids, bloody fanatics!
Ten Years Later,
Trace smiled at Subaru, “Look at him.” She giggled. “Oh, he looks funny too.” Subaru pointed out. They both laughed. It had been a little over ten years since that day, the day they’d met. Trace held her close him, as they looked down on the people, “to think they call us Gods.” He put a strawberry in between her lips and she bit down on it. Since then they had only gotten closer, although they never mentioned that day, it only brought back bad memories, memories they didn’t need.

“Well, technically, the rules of time as they know it don’t apply to us- time is different for us- so technically, in their eyes, we can……” Trace bit into what was left over from the strawberry Subaru held out to him.

“Do anything?” He nodded. The two of the lived alone now, they had just turned eighteen, but had been doing so since Trace had enrolled in the academy at sixteen, the youngest ever accepted, something that she rarely refrained from bragging about. Although, even that had been a challenge for him, in the end her father had had to use his privileges as director of the fourth squadron, codename “Banshees,” to get him in, just like in the court trial in which only Lionel’s position had saved Trace. Trace could see very well, that Lionel got what he wanted, when he wanted, he wanted to be like that too, a good man with the power to change things. Squadron leaders where the law of the land, even the judges didn’t have the authority they did, and it just so happened Lionel was one of the top three….. Trace had been lucky to say the least.

“So, you’re going to be a detective?” She asked him, “I get to enroll next year, too bad we don’t get to start together.”

“Actually, I’m taking the officer’s course…. so I’ll have to take two extra years.” He dug his smiling face into her shoulder, “which means….”

“We’ll get to start at the same time, and you get to choose a partner from the normal classes.” He chuckled. Officers were expected to spend a lot more time out in the field than normal detectives, and as such, usually chose a partner- from the normal lower class- to keep them company, although many decided to not get one, rather to get someone more familiar with wherever it was they went, sometimes, they even found lovers like that. Still, Trace was the top of his class, meaning he would be given first pick over everyone else.

“Ding-ding.” Trace held her close to himself. “I love you so much, always have you know.”

“Yeah, but I could do better.” She giggled, she enjoyed teasing him

“Oh, that’s mean, I thought you loved me back!” He kissed the small of her neck. “Does your dad know?”

“What do you think, he took you in. Of course he does! He knew I loved you before I could even come to terms with it!” Trace chuckled, the sad part was that it was true. Her father was never out of the know, another good thing about him. Trace felt blessed her father liked him, if he didn’t that would make their life together a hell of a lot harder.

“Hey, you make it sound like a bad thing!”

“It is!” They both laughed, “I wonder how Kamui is doing.”

“Brother? He’s passing, needs a lot of help though.” Subaru smiled, why did he call him that? True they were close, but were they that close? She giggled, the three were an odd bunch, but maybe that’s what made them such a perfect combination, they were misfits, odd jobs, freaks- what a good match they made!

“It’s been ten years…. and I still can’t get over that day.” Trace confessed to her. “I don’t know what I’ll do, whenever I go to sleep I hear their voices, see their faces….. What do I do?” He looked down at the ring in her hand, only a few more months.

“Even when you’re with me?” He shook his head. “Then, that’s easy, you dumb ass! Stay with me!” He laughed at her answer, so simple yet reasonable. “You know, it’s been more than ten years and I still dream about you.” He grinned, was she trying to flirt? “Well….. do you dream about me?”

He smiled, happy again, “of course I do, all the time- when I’m not dreaming about my other four girlfriends- of course.” She nudged him, “okay, I’ll stop.” He looked down. “Look at that man, he’s going to be president someday.”

“Too bad he’ll get shot,” she sounded sad, “a great man too.”

“And so will the man who helped give equal rights to the black community…. King I think his name was.”

“Oh, she’ll do good!” Subaru’s yell almost made him deaf and he took a few seconds to recover it. Finally, he looked down, there was a crowd of people there, who was she-

“Who?” Trace asked her.

“Those two!” She pointed down at a woman, she looked Russian, her hair was black as coal, but silky and smooth, her eyes an emerald green. Right next to her there was a man with golden eyes and hair, they both knew him as “the womanizer”- because it was too boring to use his real name- not that the woman was any better though. “They used to just go around screwing anybody they founnd, but now, they’re just like us….” She pushed herself closer to him.

Trace smiled, “Do you mean being held as a hostage of love by an incredibly ugly, mean, woman?” She turned her head around and bit down on his chin, laughing. “Ow! Okay, okay, just let go!” She let go of his chin, “You’re so mean!” He retaliated rubbing his chin. His eyes wondered off to the ring again, “only three and a half months and you’ll be all mine.” He smiled again, he couldn’t help himself.

“Deal with it!” She made herself more comfortable, “maybe we shouldn’t get this job, maybe we should just live normally, we don’t have to work, you know.”

“I know, but I like to work, but if you don’t want it-” She put her finger over his lips and shook her head, she didn’t like it when he did that. Subaru felt guilty, whenever he did that, she didn’t want him to give up anything for her, he had already done enough. “You know…. Sube, you can be really mean.” She nodded. “But, I can be too.” Subaru jumped up, shocked. Before she could catch herself, she had slapped him across the face.

Trace fell back laughing, he couldn’t believe it, she’d actually fallen for it. “Y-you pervert!” She looked away, “you know I won’t do that- it’s not dark out yet…” Trace started to laugh even harder, not able to suppress the tears of laughter. She sat down on him again, embarrassed, “if you ever touch me there again-”

“Oh my god!…… look at that!” She looked down, that was….. a….. nuclear bomb. “So, they do use it again, why would they….. do they really hate each other so…… humans…..”

“Calm down Trace, does it hurt?” She pressed her head against him as hard as she could.

“Whenever, a life flickers out…. I can feel it, I don’t know why….. but I do, the horrors of war, they kill so many, it hurts so much, and I can’t help them…..”

“But you can protect them from a worst fate, you can’t mess with history, but at least you can protect them from those who do mess with it, for better or worse.” She looked up at him, “you’re too noble you know.” She told him, realizing why he was taking the job, “Too damn noble, but maybe that’s part of the appeal.”

“ Thank you.” He told her, laughing as he did.

Trace shuddered, why did he have such a bad feeling? He shook it off, he was with the person he loved, no matter what happened- she meant everything to him, and as long as he had that….. If it weren’t for Subaru, life wouldn’t be worth living, that’s why as long as he had-

The ground started to shake violently, what was- the sound of explosions could resonated from every direction. Trace jumped over Subaru, trying to protect her. Seconds later, an explosion went off near their apartment, blowing the ceiling in. The ceiling came crashing down, the last thing either saw was each other…..

The inspector looked down at the wreckage. Sourly, he noticed, the boy’s limp body, surrounded by, and covered in debris, blood, suffering….. poor guy….. why did the young- He noticed something moved from under the body. “Hey, get your asses over here.” It took nearly a minute, but three men joined him, and in a fever-like enthusiasm, they started to clear the debris.

After the body could finally away, a girl, no older than eighteen, was revealed amongst the wreckage. Her body was decorated by cuts and bruises, enveloped in dust and blood (which the inspector guessed could be her boyfriend’s or brother’s- whatever he was). Subaru opened her mouth but nothing came out, not even when her lips moved. Seeing that she was still alive, they helped her off the rubble and to a clear spot of land nearby. Trace heard the one of the men mumble the word heretic….. damn fanatic.

Subaru looked around, where was- Her entire body froze, her mind became blank. Trace! She reached her hand outwards and tried to moved but the rest of her body didn’t respond. Tears started to roll down her face, his body-no, his corpse! Subaru tried to move, frantic, her breathing was hard and heavy. Finally noticing what she was trying to say, the man shook his head, “He didn’t make it.” Subaru put her hands over her eyes and started to cry, all they could hear was her breathing, her sniffling, her voice they never heard even once.

“Get me a paramedic.” The inspector ordered one of his men and turned to face the debris. Under where her body had been, he noticed something odd. Cautiously, he walked up to it, the entire building had collapsed, the combined weigh of their bodies had been on top of it, yet the strawberry was unscathed, how ironic. He picked it up, it was covered in blood, no doubt the boy’s, he hadn’t found any cuts on the woman except a few skin-deep wounds and bruises (not to mention a few broken-more like shattered- bones). “War,” he mumbled to himself, “always starts and ends… with the blood of the young being spilled.” His gaze switched from the strawberry to the sky, “Why does it have to be this way?” He asked, hoping the gods would answer. “Why?”

“Inspector Hughes!” Hughes turned around, his face emotionless.

“Yes?”

“She’s talking-but it makes no sense.”

Hughes shrugged his shoulders. “Leave her, it’s probably just the aftershock.” Hughes looked back at the floor, death…. was never quick for the young ones, only life went by fast, nothing else ever did. Hughes sighed.

“Well, she’s taken care of, let’s go see who else we can find.” Hughes shook his head. “Why the hell not!?!”

“Because she has yet to be seen by a medic! When we leave, we do so when we make sure the girl will live.”

Hughes’ subordinate’s face went bright red. “Big fucking deal! We have real Shams to take care of and you worry about- about that- that thing! Think of the people who are suffering! Not the monsters! I understand you’re trying to make up for your lost daughter but-” He never finished the sentence, Hughes landed a right hook right on the man’s right cheek, sending him to the ground, and the argument was over.

Damn Fanatic! Hughes thought to himself. He took a second to calm himself down, he would need to be calm. Whatever this was, this enemy was, it was not like anything they had ever faced before. No, this was something beyond even them. Hughes shook his head, this hadn’t been a raid, this had only been a very small warning shot, whatever it was that had attacked them, it wanted something, and it wanted it bad.
When Subaru woke up, she noticed there she was still on the flats where they had laid her down on, except now, there were more people. The thought still haunted her, it brought her to tears. She tried to get up, but her body went limp as soon as she tried to move. Had she been paralyzed? No… she shouldn’t think about that now…. that was selfish. She looked up at the clouds…. one looked like a strawberry.

If it's not that well written don't worry too much, focus mainly on the material and if you find yourself confused... that's a good thing, a lot of the characters do irrational and strange things... but there's a reason behind them. I hope you enjoyed it... part two will be up soon enough.

Okay, part two... Strawberries.

Chapter Seven: Strawberries
Trace struggled to move, the stump that had formerly been his left hand made it almost impossible to keep his balance through the sandstorm. After hours of walking, however, he finally came upon the same building he had been searching so desperately for. Trace didn’t bother ringing the bell; he just punched in his code and limped into the building. It took a few minutes but after his eyes had adjusted to the light and he felt safe enough to take off the hooded cloak and drop the walking cane, he took it all off and walked into the room closest to him.

The nearly blinding light was at its strongest here. Through the glare he could see an immaculate table, surrounded by computers and instruments of all kinds, at the center of which all was a girl, not even in her twenties, barely kept alive by the machines and the small army of people who watched over her day in and day out, never had that room had less than fifteen people inside it, all to keep her alive.

Trace ignored everyone in the room and walked up to one of the viewing posts. He watched from behind the clear glass for several minutes. No one in the room spoke in his presence and no one dared take their eyes of their own computers for more than a few seconds at a time. Every last person in the room knew that if that girl died… all of them would perish along with her… the wrath of the Gods would come down on them one thousand fold.

A loud sound, like a gunshot, forced every man to turn their heads towards the glass viewing port. Trace was pressing against the glass as hard as he could, his face filled with tears. “Bro,” Kamui put his hand on Trace’s shoulder, “it is okay.”
“General… what is it you want me to do?” Trace bowed his head to the tall man. He stood at almost seven feet and was well-built. Lionel managed a weak smile, “My good friend, how are you doing?” Trace’s face didn’t change from its usual serious and expressionless form.

Lionel Herrington, one of Ishbal’s greatest detectives, one of the most famous men of his own generation. Trace had had the pleasure of meeting him as a child… he’d had the honor of meeting him and his daughter who now lay on the surgical table in the room he had just come from. Lionel had been a detective, an investigator of time and space itself, one of the few men in the Ishbalan society who had had more influence and power over the courts and people than the monarch who had looked over them since the third generation of Ishbalans. It was because of Lionel that he had come so far, because of Lionel he had fallen in love, because of Lionel he was in such pain.

Trace, however, did not hate Lionel. On the contrary, he admired the man more than anyone else alive, even Lionel knew- and it distressed him that this happened- that Trace worshiped the very ground the man walked on. Contrary to what anyone may have thought, the hostility between them was not of hate, but of love, love over his only daughter.

Trace, Lionel saw, had grown a lot in the past two months, since Subaru had been bound to a meaningless existence on the top of the table. It hurt him to see the boy like that, he had been so happy once. All this… all because of…. Trace, he had almost been reduced to nothing more than a meaningless killer once again, to the same boy who had taken the life of three others before he had even turned ten.

Lionel examined him with careful eyes; there was a definitely feeling of hostility coming from him, an unquenchable blood lust. He wanted revenge; he wanted to become a killer once again, all for his own satisfaction. Trace was relatively easy going; however, he had never been able to push that memory away, of that day on the playground where he had let his violent side take over…..

Maybe if he hadn’t taken those lives he wouldn’t have become so dependent on someone to hold him like he had. The moment he had realized what he had done he had gone into in shock, Trace had broke down and Lionel was damn sure that if not for his daughter, the repercussions would have been much, much graver. In one short moment Trace had lost the one and only thing that had truly mattered to him in the world had been snatched away from him and he nor his heart were straining to find a reason for existence, a reason to be. Trace wanted retribution, revenge for a reason, he wanted to find a reason to live, but because of the times he’d spent with Subaru, he wanted live for her, and life without her was no longer comprehensible. Maybe, Lionel thought, he was the root of the problem, maybe he had propagated Trace’s hate and lust for the blood of people.

“Are you okay?” His voice was warm and caring as usual, “Trace?”

“Lord Lionel,” Trace said bowing his head, “I came as soon as I heard about your request. I finished my reconnaissance, and I’ve talked to one of their messengers, they refuse to conform… they want me…. or her…. one of us has to go with.”

“Then we can-”

“We can’t hold out!” Trace interrupted, “So many people have died! I… just want to end it….”

“And if we do- which we won’t- what’s to stop them from fucking us over anyway!?! Think Trace! Think God damn it!”

“No! I am thinking! This the best thing that we can do!” Trace stared at Lionel defiantly, Lionel had never seen him like this.

“What did they offer you in exchange for yourself?” Trace was quiet. “Answer me!”

“They,” Trace started, his voice low and angered, “they told me if I did my duty as a god they would- they would give her back… I couldn’t see her, but they would give her back her life instead of that- that whatever the hell it is that she is… experiencing now.”

“She is alive Trace, you just have to-”

“Alive!?! You say that’s alive!?!” His face was a bright red, “Restrained to a table, having your heart-rate, brain waves, everything monitored, not able to move or speak, unconscious! That is not life! Face it! This is beyond even us, we can’t bring our own dead back!”

“I know how you feel, I feel bad too,” his voice was still calm, “but don’t forget that I’m her fath-”

“But you’re not her father! You just took in the girl you found while walking home one day! I will not-”

“M’ Lords!” Trace’s head violently snapped around to face the man. “It’s the girl! She’s woken up!” Trace didn’t even hear the last word; his body had already started to move.

Trace pushed his way through anyone who crossed his path and burst into the room. “Is she okay?” Every head turned to face him. “Tell me!”

Kamui put his hand on his friend’s back, “She woke up a few minutes ago, she’s in pain right now but we gave her some sedatives to calm her down,” he smiled, “she’ll be okay.”

“Thank god…” The words slipped off his tongue without his even noticing it. “Thank you, Kamui,” Kamui’s smile grew wider.

“When she woke up she said she wanted to see you, but we can’t anyone in yet, not for another few hours. Go get some rest, your arm will grow back that way.” Trace nodded reluctantly.

“Kamui… please, look after her.”

Kamui nodded, adding, “With my life, brother.”
Trace had only slept an hour out of the five he had been in his room. He was anxious… if he the gods hadn’t interfered, the two of them… would be together now… they would be married, working together, living… a happy life.

Trace chuckled, she was so beautiful, he didn’t deserve her. He looked at his watch; enough time ought to have passed. Calmly, he got dressed in his uniform and took a few minutes to get used to his new arm, emptied and refilled his pockets and left the room as dark and lifeless as it had been for the past five hours.
“Son of a bitch!” Trace burst into the room to find Kamui holding one of the scientists by the throat against a wall. There was a wide grin on the man’s face despite the killing intent in Kamui’s eyes.

“What happened?” Trace demanded.

“He started to insult Subaru… brother’s-” Kamui tightened his grip, “Brother’s girlfriend.” Trace shook his head and told Kamui to release him which he did, partly pissed at Trace for letting the man off so easily.

“Kamui?” That was all Trace needed to say.

“A few more minutes big brother.” Kamui answered.

Trace looked through the view port, he didn’t even notice as time passed by, the next thing he heard was the airlock on the door depressurizing the room and allowing him. “Has Lionel come yet?” Kamui nodded and told him that Lionel would come back later after Trace was done.

“Kamui, thank you,” Kamui just smiled and nodded.
It was the first time he had ever entered the chamber and for the first time noticed that the table was more like a bed than anything, very heavily cushioned to keep her body kept gently and softly aloft. Trace looked towards the port, it was a two-way mirror, he hadn’t known that either and it kind of irritated him, being watched without knowing it…. it was more than enough to make you paranoid. Trace continued forward and stopped in front of the table as he’d been instructed.

“Okay, first of all you have to unplug her from the system, that’ll release her consciousness, then, we’ll shut it down for you…. okay.” Trace carefully pulled out each of the wires and cables connecting her to the computer that kept her brain alive, “and now pull out the ones that monitor her heart rate and then you can pull them off in any order.” Trace was careful pulling out each and every single one.

A few minutes passed by and Trace found himself holding his breath for almost every second of it, and when he did breath his breath was burdened and heavy. Her eyes started to open at last, and he let out a long sigh of relieve. In a quick motion he hastily took off the restraints as she sat up.

Her body had finally reached a half-erect position when it went limp and fell off to the side. Trace caught her before she could hit the ground and held her with teary eyes, he was happy. She touched his face, smiling, but said nothing.

“Trace, her brain’s been damaged so she may not be able to speak or hear… it’s a miracle she can see and breathe as it is. Don’t push her too hard, okay?” Trace didn’t bother moving too much, he helped her back up and sat down next to her.

“Can you hear me?” She nodded slowly, her head hurt a lot. “Do you remember me?” She nodded. “Who am I?” Subaru gently pushed her head against his chest, over his heart. “You do.” His voice was almost disappointed. She opened her mouth to speak but no words came out, no sound came out at all. “Shush, don’t push yourself.” He looked towards the view port again, it irritated him they were watching… ass holes!

They were quiet, holding her was enough to calm his nerves. Two months… two months of suffering, she’d suffered for two months! Trace tried to keep his rage suppressed, it was a time to be happy, but just the thought of the tyrannical and hypocritical gods who looked down from below infuriated him. Subaru linked her arms around his neck, “Subaru, I’m sorry,” silence.

“Sube, I’m sorry.” Trace shook himself loose gently and left without saying a word. She didn’t understand what he was doing until he had come within the last few yards of the door. She jumped onto her feet and started to run towards him. Subaru caught his arm right before he could pass by the now open doors. Trace looked back and tried to smile but found himself not able to.

Subaru’s face was strange, desperate and distressed. She was worried, he could tell. Trace managed a weak and pitiful but was as fake as his will to live any longer. His lips closed and he shook his arm loose, leaving her alone.
“A deal?” The messenger looked at Trace strangely, “I’m sorry m’ lord but you are in absolutely no position to demand… if I were-”

“Fine, then tell all those sons of bitches that when I catch up to them I will personally send each and every last one of them to hell!” He looked at Trace incredulously. “What, you don’t believe I can? You have seen what I can do! You have seen entire cities laid to waste by the snapping of my fingers, if you and your bastard friends want to die, I suggest you follow suit.”

“But if we do give in, it will be a message of weakness, and we- as gods- cannot-”

“You’re not gods!” Trace broke in. “Choose your next words carefully, because I swear to you, if you and your king do not guarantee me the safety of my Subaru, I will each and every single one of you to hell so we can dine; and I will feast on your corpses and quench my thirst with the blood I take from your veins and arteries. You will learn what a true god is!! You will learn what misery and pain mean! The true-”

“Then go fuck yourself, the gods will not bow to you and conform to your request, noble or not, you are as expendable as that god damn family of yours! You and your bitch! As long as you are not on the side of a potential enemy, we will be more than satisfied!” He turned to leave, “Enjoy your last days boy, I will come back to reap you in a few weeks, and I will show what it is like to be a true god.”

The men turned snapped around with an arrogant smile, these people were all so- Blood… blood, he could feel his blood seeping from his abdomen. He looked down, terrified only to see the puddle of blood caught on his clothes spread in every direction.

Trace pulled the blade out, allowing the blood to pour out much faster and steadily. “Orichalcum… it can even kill the “gods” of which you speak. Do not underestimate me,” the men fell to his knees, his body was weak… there was no way he could…. “You, messenger, have committed blasphemy, you have not only stained my family name, but you have also committed an insult of the tongue at my beloved, beloved, Subaru, and for this,” Trace’s blade glided to the edge of the man’s neck, “the punishment is….” he raised the blade, “DEATH!!” Trace brought the blade down with all of his might, severing the man’s head clean off.

He looked down at his surprised, scared face and smiled… that had been fun… maybe his father would be next!
It took Trace a half hour to return to the building from which he had come and when he did return, he wasn’t carrying his jubilant smile anymore… he wore his usual face, that of a depressed, angry, lonely, man. Trace only got a few steps in when he saw Lionel, storming towards him.

“You- you BASTARD! You killed him, I told you not to touch them, they will hunt us down and gut us.”

“Not as long as I am here.”

“No, you don’t matter! You don’t matter! You can’t protect yourself, but she can’t!” Lionel’s breathing was stressed and heavy. “I trusted you. I believed you would do as I said. I believed you would stay put… for her sake, not mine! Hers!”

Trace looked away, “I’m sorry, but I have a solution for that problem….” Trace pushed Lionel aside and walked into the lab where Subaru lived and slept. “They can’t find us here, they can’t see through Orichalcum… its-its like a brick wall to them, it can “stop” their “all seeing eye.” Stay in here, all of you!”

Trace turned around to Kamui, one of the few people he trusted in the world. “Kamui, brother, I have a favor to ask, and please, please do not tell me no to this one- small- request.” Kamui nodded slowly, “Her brain, it can be saved right? You can restore everything, her normal functions I mean.”

“I could… but there’s a high probability the procedure may get rid of her memories, the more recent ones…. probably of up the day before she met you. You have to understand, the damage is-”

“It’s good, do it, and if the procedure doesn’t wipe her memories of me… wipe them manually.”

That left everyone in the room, Lionel included, speechless. Trace put his hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Please.”

“I-I can’t.” The words left Kamui’s lips bitterly. “Brother,” he said as Trace turned away, “I love you, an- and I love Subaru too… but because of that, I can’t wipe it, it would be torture for her, you should understand. You meant- and still do- everything to her, if I do wipe her memories, it will leave a void where you used to be…. she’ll be miserable! Empty! It will be- and I am not exaggerating- worse than dying.”

“But Kamui… I have… caused so much pain to her, Kamui. I am her suffering, for her to be around me, means to suffer. For her to remember me is to suffer. If she can forget about me… maybe she can live happily, maybe she can live a happy, normal life with some- some good guy that can give her a good, meaningful relationship.”

“How long have you been considering this?” Lionel broke in. “You aren’t like this, you’re not this spontaneous, you thought this moment out, when did you-”

“The same day I woke up from a two day coma without a scratch while she, who had suffered much, much less trauma and damage than me, ended up in a two month coma. I don’t deserve her or this life, that is my decision to make and if my suffering means her happiness, I can live with it.” Silence again.

“Trace, why? If you do this- she- she’ll wake up miserable.”

“Then you Kamui, live with her for me. You said you loved her, do it in my stead. I-it hurts me to do this, it hurts me a lot but if I can alleviate her pain, I will do it.”

“Everyone out!” Lionel barked and a flood of men rushed out of the door on command, leaving only the three of them alone. “Are you meaning to tell me that you will do this, you will make my daughter, lose the happy memories she has, leave her with the few happy memories she has with her family and-”

“Sometimes it is better to not know why something is happening, it is always better to forget the past, at least the painful parts.”

“But brother,” Kamui interjected, “It’s not true…. when you make someone forget about there past, the memories, good or bad, are lost as well. Each and every experience teaches you something, on top of that, each and every memory means something, taking away those memories, the ones that have shaped her, would mean taking away her personality, killing the Subaru you knew and loved. In the end, with no one to love and feeling rejected by so many, she may just end up killing everyone around her, especially those who have made her suffer…. or worse… herself.”

“Trace, look-”

“No! Kamui, love her for me, take care of her for me and she will not do that.”

“But I can’t! That’s just it! I cannot love her the way you do, I cannot give her the happiness and joy you do and most of all, I cannot support her or love her that way. I love her the same way I love you, like a sister, that’s it! I cannot tell her I love her like a lover, I don’t! And no, I will not lie to her like that, even for you. I know you are considering her own good, I know you love this woman like-like she’s- no she is the most beautiful and best woman in the world, even I am witness to that. I, however, cannot, and will not make her suffer by doing this, torturing her everyday with a fake relationship, something that will lead to her death by her own hands slowly and painfully!

“Please brother… please understand,” Kamui’s yells had come down to a low mumble, “I just can’t do it, not to her… or you…. to make either of you suffer is worse than death.”

Trace smiled and put his hand on Kamui’s shoulder, “I’m sorry, then can I make a small amendment?” Trace told them his new idea. “What do you think?”

“Still don’t like it, but I guess you won’t settle for anything less, what about you Lionel?” Kamui turned to the man who hadn’t spoken in a long time.

“I…. don’t like it… what if we ask her? Then and only then will I agree to this.” Lionel hid a smile, she would never approve to it…. not her… no Subaru… would she?

“Good, then after all this is done I’ll keep watch over her until this whole bloody war is over, then I can disappear… maybe I’ll find a place where I can cause less harm.”

“Bro-” Kamui started but Trace was already halfway there. Trace pushed his hand against the glass door and Kamui, without a word, proceeded to open the door.

Much better written... in my opinion... also much, much more confusing (and if not, it will be... trust me... although it may not seem so at the moment). If you would know the main story you could see how they loosely relate, but the arcs won't come together until book 3 (or 4 if its a quad) and that's because right now they only serve as very, very good background, although its true meaning cannot be deciphered until the very end (last ten chapters) and that's because this bastard like to keep the very best until the very end because it pushes the reader on.

Edited by tskasa1, 18 October 2008 - 02:45.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 00:04

Shortest Chapter so far- I think. Sounds put together hastily, although that's on purpose. Subaru-chan goes to sleep and Trace formally (although indirectly) formally starts the Ishbal Rebellion, the first and only rebellion against the Gods so far.

Chapter Ten: Raspberries
“Lord Trace…. may I talk to you?” Trace nodded and motioned for the young man to sit down. “You don’t call me “brother” anymore Kamui, I’m insulted.”

“I-I’m sorry, it’s just…. the procedure finished a few minutes ago and I thought you should be the first to know…”

“The Gods have drawn first blood in this battle, and I will draw the last, its better to not be remembered, do you not agree, brother?” Kamui looked away, unlike Trace, Kamui couldn’t stand the thought of taking a life…. then again, Trace had grown up a soldier, a slave of war whose sole purpose was to take life- no, he hadn’t grown up that way, he’d been born that way, a soldier of fortune, be it that of his soul or his body. The gods, by taking Subaru away from him, had sealed their fate, turned the worst of their own kind back on themselves and now the gods would pay dearly for it. They knew as well as everyone else, of Trace’s unlimited source of power….. and all knew of the almost assured death of anyone who dared to defy his most personal wishes.

“Ka-Kamui… thank you, brother.” Trace held out a hand with a weak smile.

“I- I don’t want to hear that shit right now.” Kamui slapped the hand away and left quietly, ashamed of what he had just done.
“Subaru, how are-”

“You son of a bitch!” She jumped at him as soon as he got within reaching distance of her, holding him as close to her as she could, with as much of the little strength she had left that she could muster. “D-don’t do it! I don’t want you to-”

“Subaru, listen, if we- if I leave you, you won’t have to suffer, I-I don’t want you to suffer like you have been. You’re on ICU, minimal life support but the truth is, any second now you could go back to full… I don’t want… I don’t want you to suffer the way you’ve been suffering the past three months.”
“You bastard! You actually went through with it!?! What the hell is wrong with you!?!”

“I did what I must do!” Trace retorted, making his way out of his room, first Kamui and now him… what was wrong with them? “I-I have no regrets.”

“Are you sure? Ju-just what in God’s name are you Trace? I thought you were normal…. but you do this with so little remorse, what happened to you while you were gone? You are willing to throw away your life, to lose her… just for the sake of blood? You’re not the Trace I raised.”

“You’re- you’re so ignorant! Just who the hell do you think you are!?! This hurts me more than it does you! How do you think I feel!?! I loved her, you were witness to that Lionel! I-I just shut up and fuck off!”

“What could you probably lose that I-”

“I lost my child and my wife-to-be in one swoop!” Lionel’s failed to hear that, the ends of what he was saying blocking it out, “Don’t tell me what to do! I will make each and every one of these fuckers pays for what they’ve done! I want to stop this, the same thing that started ten years ago, a world-”

“A world, what? What is it Trace?”

“A world, Lionel, where I can have my Subaru, my Subaru and her lover, her children can live happily.”

“You mean where you two can-”

“Not me, no, I’ll be burning in the pits of hell by that time… I love her, and because I do, I can’t live around her. Lionel, I am the cause of this pain. If it weren’t for me… she’d be-”

“Dead! She’d be dead! Trace, what I’ve been trying to tell you this whole time is that. She’d be dead, her kind, and you are the only exception I’ve ever seen to this, are hated here, they’re hated! I-if you hadn’t been here, what would’ve happened? Well, when the guys her age had found what sex was, what do you think would’ve happened to her? An undesirable like her, weak, exempt from the laws that govern us, not able to protect herself. Now remember, by this point in time, she’d spent what? Eight years (I’m including the ones before she met you too) of being bullied, assaulted, hit, spat at, insulted! What would have happen to someone who’s both physically and psychologically weak?”

“Th-they would have taken advantage of her and her situation,” Trace muttered, his voice low and ashamed, “They’d raped her…”

“Now, add… about two or three years of that in it too, almost every day, constant. I wouldn’t have known about it, I didn’t know about what was happening until you told me! These kids are discreet, they’re good at this, now, add that Subaru was open only to you in her entire life pretty much, and I was usually away from home most of the time due to work, how’d I’d know!?! Trace, she’d been raped every day most likely, what’d happened? After three years?

“Trace, tell me? What does history tell us? Is there any persecution?” Trace shook his head slowly. “No, there isn’t, even if she had all the evidence in the world, she’d just be dismissed. Trace… after just two or three years, she’d kill herself!-no! She’d killed her and everyone else who’d caused this! Trace, if it weren’t for you, she’d be dead at fifteen or sixteen instead of suffering at nineteen!” That’s right, her birthday had passed seven weeks ago….. it’s been eleven years…. Subaru…..

“But-but they still need to-”

“They what? What did they do to deserve this?”

“They killed my child!”

Lionel’s mouth opened but as soon as Trace’s words reached his ears he stopped dead. The red, as well as all the other color, drained from his face. Even his eyes, once bright with the fiery rage, were now dull just as his skin was dull and pale. “I-I didn’t know, I swear, I-I didn’t-”

“They killed my unborn child and made my Subaru into a-a nothing!”

“If, if that’s how it is….” Lionel started again, his voice cracked and weak, “then leave; and from now on, you will be called Vlad, Vladimir- or would you prefer Alucard?”

“Gladly, however, Lionel, may I make a request?”

“Name it,” Lionel refused to make eye contact with Trace, he hadn’t… known. Trace had…. lost….. everything.

“I would like to stay here… until she is stable enough to live on her own… to help her put her life back together, after the death of her fiancée, Detective Ramseys Regulus. I just want… to see her happy… and to see her one last time….”

“It’s granted.” Lionel turned and started to walk, stopping at the next door, “Trace, what you’re doing, whatever you do, do not lose yourself in this personal vendetta, because that would hurt me, and Subaru, more than death by any method.”

“I swear,” Trace lied. It was much too late already, he had lost himself so long ago, he wasn’t sure who, or what, he was.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users