School project

20 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 30 October 2008 - 00:58

Okay, chemistry question!!!! (and I haven't even the slightest idea what to do as I haven't taken it yet!!!!!!)!!!!! I NEED to know, if you put a rocket in water, would:

A: A slingshot/catapult system be effective? I guess not since water tends to absorb so much of the energy and all the energy is released in one blow....

B: Would a railway system be effective? I need it to keep the rocket going straight....

C: What chemicals make a very powerful reaction when combined (think baking soda+ vinegar but with fifty times the punch (not literally)) I need a reasonable amount of thrust, to be able to move it five/seven feet in the water with only a few ounces of fuel while underwater.

D: Would I need any kind of overhead guidance system?

E: If I squeeze a relatively large amount of air through a small opening (such as a tube), would it have downsides? And if I slowly funneled it to make the output bigger in size than the intake, would it help?

F: I'm thinking of using the MiG (huge middle hole all the way through) approach, and working around it to accommodate the fuel (add a "skirt" to the bottom half of the rocket's body to make up for the shortened fuel storage.

G: If I made used the MiG approach, but kept the fuel space (in other words half-way through there's a stop) but then added small openings along the side to expel the air (would be angled down and angled) would that work?

Any Ideas?

Also, could I get a definitive formula for thrust?

Edited by tskasa1, 05 November 2008 - 00:18.

Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#2 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:56

What do you mean with put a rocket in water? Do you mean like a nuke sub firing a missile out of the water? Gas pressure and a gas sapsule that creates a sort of bubble arround the rocket would be best.

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:49

What do you mean with put a rocket in water? Do you mean like a nuke sub firing a missile out of the water? Gas pressure and a gas sapsule that creates a sort of bubble arround the rocket would be best.
That. I have no idea what you're trying to make exactly XD. I could answer the following however:

View Posttskasa1, on 30 Oct 2008, 2:58, said:

C: What chemicals make a very powerful reaction when combined (think baking soda+ vinegar but with fifty times the punch (not literally)) I need a reasonable amount of thrust, to be able to move it five/seven feet in the water with only a few ounces of fuel while underwater.
You'll need some sort of gas-liberating system to provide the thrust, which can either be the soda or an explosive. I assume you don't want to make an explosive (you'd basically blow whatever you're building out of the water instead of giving it gradual thrust) so the soda thing might be best for you. Things to optimise the amount of thrust this provides is using more concentrated and/or higher amounts of reactants (i.e. don't use baking powder but pure NaHCO3), or use washing soda (sodium carbonate, Na2CO3) instead of baking soda (you might want to start out with smaller amounts of reactants since sodium carbonate generates heat during the reaction).
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:41

Normally I would offer advice, but you've ignored my request and started a thread called "HELP!!!!" again.

You're on your own.

#5 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 19:07

View PostDauth, on 30 Oct 2008, 9:41, said:

Normally I would offer advice, but you've ignored my request and started a thread called "HELP!!!!" again.

You're on your own.

Thanks, and I would have, but then I found out that this needs to have some sort of appliance in the near future, so anything that has no foreseeable use within the next 100 years it taboo. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, and I did think about using it, but it is impossible to use now, as my teacher doesn't want me to as it has no foreseeable use to benefit mankind (and yes it does HAVE to benefit mankind).
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 23:36

Ballistic Missile Subs(SSBNs) usually use pressurized CO2.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#7 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 22:59

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 30 Oct 2008, 23:36, said:

How much thrust could I potentially get from it? Also, how easy and affordable is it? After all, I need to keep it all under one-hundred dollars. I like the idea and since it can move nukes it should do well, but again, I need to keep it all as cheap as possible.

Also, to answer all previous questions, yes, I AM planning to put a few rockets under water and launching them. I want to make holes in each one to see how it will affect them, whether it'll add aerodynamics (in other words, it should increase range/speed). I'm using water because it is a LOT harder to monitor it in the air and I don't have a wind tunnel, also water behaves a lot like air (save it is a LOT more... elastic for a lack of a better word). So, do any of the above ideas work, and still open to fuel ideas.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 23:16

View Posttskasa1, on 1 Nov 2008, 0:59, said:

How much thrust could I potentially get from it? Also, how easy and affordable is it? After all, I need to keep it all under one-hundred dollars. I like the idea and since it can move nukes it should do well, but again, I need to keep it all as cheap as possible.

Also, to answer all previous questions, yes, I AM planning to put a few rockets under water and launching them. I want to make holes in each one to see how it will affect them, whether it'll add aerodynamics (in other words, it should increase range/speed). I'm using water because it is a LOT harder to monitor it in the air and I don't have a wind tunnel, also water behaves a lot like air (save it is a LOT more... elastic for a lack of a better word). So, do any of the above ideas work, and still open to fuel ideas.
Easiest way to obtain something analogous to pressurized CO2 is to get some canned air. If you really want CO2 you're probably looking at using a fire extinguisher. Problem is getting a release mechanism for this. Also, generally commercially pressurized gases can be quite dangerous if not handled properly because if they really go, they really go.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 23:25

View Posttskasa1, on 31 Oct 2008, 23:59, said:

The only cheaper option than pressurized CO2 or just plain old atmosphere would be a catapult(not an actual catapult, just any system that uses brute physical force to propel the missile.).
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#10 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:21

Umm... guys, how would I go about transferring a little bit of the CO2 from the fire extinguisher into the VERY small container I'll be using in my rocket.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:10

View Posttskasa1, on 1 Nov 2008, 1:21, said:

Umm... guys, how would I go about transferring a little bit of the CO2 from the fire extinguisher into the VERY small container I'll be using in my rocket.

Umm, let me clarify, SSBNs use the CO2 to just get the missile out of the tube and above the water, the liquid rocket fuel is what actually gets it to the target.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#12 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:13

View Posttskasa1, on 1 Nov 2008, 3:21, said:

You can't. Once you decompress it, you'll have no means of recompressing it again. You the rocket needs to be the container or you'll need to make a reaction yourself.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 21:09

View PostJason, on 1 Nov 2008, 11:13, said:

You can't. Once you decompress it, you'll have no means of recompressing it again. You the rocket needs to be the container or you'll need to make a reaction yourself.

So....if I use CO2, I'm fucked.... yeah, any other ideas? Help me out anybody? I wish I could use CO2.... damn it! I need cheap and powerful!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:07

View Posttskasa1, on 1 Nov 2008, 22:09, said:

View PostJason, on 1 Nov 2008, 11:13, said:

So....if I use CO2, I'm fucked.... yeah, any other ideas? Help me out anybody? I wish I could use CO2.... damn it! I need cheap and powerful!

Buy the compressed oxygen tanks used for SCUBA gear, or compressed helium used in party balloons.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#15 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:09

Cheaper way of getting it is in a paintball/airsoft/airgun cartridge/tank- you can pick one up at sports authority or dicks sporting goods, if your in NJ.
Swimmer
kinda, sorta alive.

#16 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 13:55

The prblem is that I'm only using a few ounces (at most a few pounds- sorry if it,s the wrong format) I need something nice and small. Also, I've decided on not using a full MiG design, I'll be using a MiG decsign on the top half and then let it out through vents (although water's "elasticity" IS areal big pain because if it weren't for that, I could just use a god damned catapult!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 02 November 2008 - 14:50

A rocket is the small scale you're describing sounds very impractical and not powerful enough. What about some sort of rotating propeller power if it's in water?

Edited by Rich19, 02 November 2008 - 14:50.

#18 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:42

View Posttskasa1, on 2 Nov 2008, 14:55, said:

The prblem is that I'm only using a few ounces (at most a few pounds- sorry if it,s the wrong format) I need something nice and small. Also, I've decided on not using a full MiG design, I'll be using a MiG decsign on the top half and then let it out through vents (although water's "elasticity" IS areal big pain because if it weren't for that, I could just use a god damned catapult!!!!!!!!

Now I have to ask: Hat in hell are you trying to make!?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#19 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:20

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 3 Nov 2008, 3:42, said:

Apparently a model SLBM...
Posted Image

#20 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:56

View PostScope, on 3 Nov 2008, 9:20, said:

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 3 Nov 2008, 3:42, said:

Apparently a model SLBM...

You know you can buy those down at a hobby shop.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#21 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 13:54

I can't just buy it because it needs to be very heavily customized. Also, I can't use a propeller because it's supposed to be a rocket. I WOULD use air, but I would need an air tunnel for what I want and no one wants to trust a 14 year old around one. Without an air tunnel it would be almost impossible to measure the turbulence. ANYWAY, even IF I could get an air tunnel I would rather use explosive materials for the test as fuels but I can't use anything of the sort, so I'm kind of restricted to soda and chemical reactions. Anyway, more questions:

A) Would a "de Laval nozzle" work under water?

B) Would the nozzle have to be made out of metal or could it be made out of wood as well.

C) Is 45 degrees a nice stable angle for cutting through air/water? If not, what is?

And to answer your question my dear doctor.... it's a secret....*evil laugh*

Oh, completely forgot, does anyone know where I can get some good wood? I need strong, nonporous, hardwood, capable of taking a lot of stress and that is light enough to be propelled by gas. Any ideas?

Edited by Dauth, 04 November 2008 - 15:40.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users