A T-72 question

19 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:12

I have a curious situation that requires me to establish some prices of the T-72 tank. I have done some google searches but haven't turned up anything of real substance. Do any of you military buffs out there happen to have seen a site that may lurk in the depths of the net that can identify this for me?

PS don't ask why I am not telling you :dope:

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:19

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/

Cue thread.

Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 13:05

I saw that thread and already saw that website. I don't want a surplus tank I want the cost of a brand spanking new one. Fully outfitted and setup.

#4 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 31 October 2008 - 14:25

may i know why? T-72s now are no longer in production. All are being modernised
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 14:42

Er.... the real reason I can't tell you. I can however tell you that they are still manufactured and sold. Hence the need for an approximate price. I will, no doubt, find out their true commercial value at some point, however it would be very very helpful to know sooner rather than later.

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 14:51

I'm willing to put time into this, but only if I actually know what you need it for (even if it is just a brief statement). I just want to make sure my time isn't going to be wasted.

You are in the same situation that Boidy was in when he asked for money - many of us were willing to help if we actually knew why.

Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 15:46

This is a work related situation whereby the value of the tanks has a large bearing on several issues. As I have said, I expect to find out their true value in due course, however, the time delay in establishing their worth will not assist me in drafting the appropriate "legal" wording that I need to do for the job in question. I am trying to not be evasive on the topic, but business ethics (if there is such a thing) would suggest to keep the actual nature of this request as quiet as possible for the time being.

I have asked here as I know that there are several individuals that are very interested in military hardware and the general goings on of the arms trade and may have come across this sort of information in passing or at least know of somewhere to locate it beyond a rather wasted google search which I have already done.

If you the above isn't enough then perhaps I can discuss some more complexities via a "private" msn convo.

Edited by Beetlejuice, 31 October 2008 - 15:46.

#8 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 31 October 2008 - 17:44

You have clients who want to buy a tank? Okay...:dope:
Posted Image

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 18:15

No, that isn't the case as I'd be an arms dealer and I would likely be able to find someone who could give me a price on this piece of kit. I am working for someone very independent of the arms trade and hence why I can't find out the going rate for T-72.

#10 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:28

I doubt you'll ever be delivered a factory-fresh T-72 unless you are a legitimate defence customer, at which point you'd almost certainly need to be a powerful defence contractor or a government representative. Certainly they're not legal for civilian ownership, anywhere, in an activated state, and it's not very likely you'll be delivered a factory-fresh deactivated one, as that would kind of defeat the point of the tank plant building them. I can find you a fully-outfitted T-72 as surplus, but new? I can't imagine you'd every be able to legally purchase a new one, and probably not even illegally. They aren't really being built any more; most of the versions you'll find for sale by ex-Soviet states are upgrades to existing models. New builds are more modern designs, such as the T-90 or Ukraine's T-80 variants by KBMD, who can be contacted through their website. Not T-72s though, they are much more modern and have a gas turbine engine and would be much more expensive.
I think by far your best bet is something like this:
http://www.russianmi...tails.php?id=86
As I can't really help you sourcing new vehicles. I can give you the plant names that used to build them, the Malyshev HMB Plant, based in Kharkov, Ukraine and at UKBM Nizhny Tagil, but I haven't turned up any contact information, nor do I know whether they are still carrying out new builds. If they are it's almost certainly guaranteed to be on an on-order basis, and I don't imagine an order of one example would be economical to fill. Sorry but I have strong doubts as to whether you'll be able to fulfil your client's wishes here from what you've told us.
Edit: Hmm, having re-read the thread, I think I may have got the wrong idea. There is just no info around on prices. All I can give you is an exceptionally vague ballpark estimate based on recent sales of upgraded models. Please note that according to Wikipedia, the only Russian plant currently producing tanks of any sort is the Uralvagonzavod plant, and they're building the T-90 as well as researching the new T-95, so there are no new T-72s coming out of Russia at least. The most recent Russia armoured deal I can find is the sale of 330 T-90S tanks to India, which was for a total of $800 million. However at least half of the vehicles were in knocked-down kits meaning the true deal price for an equivalent number of vehicles would likely rest around over $1 billion. This equates to approximately $3 million per tank. As the T-72 is a far older model I would estimate, with the word used in the loosest possible sense, that a T-72 would fetch approximately $1 million brand new, though given the better options available it may well be less. Please do not quote this to anyone; it is likely an order of magnitude out, but it seems at least loosely reasonable. It would fit roughly with an M1A2 Abrams unit cost of slightly over $4 million.

Edited by Igor, 01 November 2008 - 03:00.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:51

Thanks for that JB. These are Ukranian made 72's. And they are a military purchase for a middle eastern government so that would be why they are being sold largish quantities and not so obviously done. I suspect that true value will be hard to estimate based on what you've said and I think that it'll be slightly more than $1m. I guess I'll have to wait for what the commercial invoices say!

I'll let you know when I find out in due course.

#12 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:03

hey buddy, if you can find some tanks that are cheap to buy, and can be converted for airsoft, I'm all ears :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dauth edit: Sig removed for height violation.

#13 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 21:01

I have read somewhere our (I mean Czech) government sold 120 T-72 to Georgia, but I think they were upgraded in Ukraine before getting to Georgia (which people were friendly with Russians* (dunno how has it changed during conflict), all except dictator**, erm president, the government and ruling party) and there was also 30 Dana Howitzers (poor Cchinvalli) and other military stuff (some radars and AAs).

*from reliable travel magazine Koktejl (mainstream, main travel magazine in my country).
**same (or worse) as Putin, just Putin isn't for America
Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#14 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 23:05

Hey dude I would recommend you buy some tanks from china like their newer T-90s. They would be lighter, and cheaper and probably easier to get to as China will sell anything for the right price. You just need some pull is all, some kind of representation or some kind of intellectual device that would have them to take you seriously.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 03 November 2008 - 23:20

Type 90 != T-90

Is there a Type 90?

#16 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 03 November 2008 - 23:54

The Type 90 is best known as the JGSDF's main battle tank. There was, however, also a Chinese Type 90, in fact it was their first reasonably modern tank, but the design was developed in several stages (one of which resulted in Pakistan's Al-Khalid) to become the Type 96, of which China possesses something like two and a half thousand examples. It's not built any more IIRC thanks to the recent adoption of the much more modern Type 98 and 99.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:40

I cant wait to see russia's massive T-95, it has a 156mm cannon on it. its supposed to be an MBT too!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:04

For an FYI I have been advised that the cost per unit is thought to be US$ 345,000.00.

#19 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 18:44

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I have remember I have read in one topic on Czech forum about military tech (Palba.cz I think), one former soldier said
the soviets were affording their T-72s for some 2400 dollars/tank when they were leaving their base in Czecho-slovakia (it was 1993 I think).
It like all the leaving armies* do, they sell their weapons like they were toys (or few years old car in case of the tank).

On the other hand such tank can be on 75% wreck,
T-72 M4CZ has only one original component, panzer.
New motor, new loading system, new...

teeth of time...

*Watch the Lord of War, esp. that Palestina part.

BTW, there's easy way to get your car or tank away with no expenses, leave it somewhere in some darker streets.
I have read once, in Russia has been stolen whole 200t iron bridge.

To T-95: I found picture how it would look like, these are still speculation and it's strategically valuable to not letting know us, how new Russian tanks
look. Doesn't matter if they have it or not.
how this tank would look like (picture is probably too big)
http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/
otherwise it also could have non-separated turret, only Russian generals and top politicians knows (for other pictures use Google).

Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 06 November 2008 - 19:11.

Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 19:48

OK that is a little off the mark for what this topic is for.

:dope:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users