Video Game Banning/Censorship/Rating

18 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 10 November 2008 - 23:41

EVERY SINGLE LAST PERSON I KNOW ON THIS FORUM IS A VIDEO GAME FIEND!!!!!..... and so am I. Of course, this brings up a questions (Please answer all):

A) Should banning video games be legal? Is it ethical? Why-if yes- (only GOOD reasons)?

B) Should censoring video games be legal? Is it ethical? Why-if yes- (only GOOD reasons)?

C) How far should video game rating go? Why?

I personally believe A+B are both no and no. Question three, however, is probably the one that can be explained the most from the get-go.

I believe that there SHOULD be a video game rating system, but that it shouldn't go above PG-13 (although they should keep an X/AO rating STRICTLY for erotic games). No, it's not because I'm 14, it's all because of how useless it gets after that. I mean, think about it, by the time you're thirteen, through life, the news, or at least school and sex-ed you should have been exposed to all those things. First of all, if you try to keep something down, its just going to encourage its use, also if you try to suppress something you are no better than a Facist.

Of course, there are other reasons. As I stated above, by the time you turn twelve, you should have exposed to everything in a video game (drug, sex, violence, etc.), so giving them an R-rating to them to protect someone is A: ignorant, B: I see all of that in my EVERYDAY LIFE, at least in a video game it's NOT REAL!!

As for banning, I say NAY!! That too is based on what is above, and other reasons too. My main one is that banning something is infringing upon freedom of speech, and since I believe in "The American Ideals," I also say nay. Of course, we have all heard our favorite reasons for banning games... violence in kids. People say that anyone who grows up playing violent video games (say DOOM/GTA) will turn out to be more violent (like in Columbine).

Now, that REALLY pisses me off. I grew up playing DOOM and good 'ol Duke Nukem since I was 3/4 years old, and I am perfectly sane and healthy, while those guys who played DOOM had only played it for a few months/years-not gonna look it up now- but still not as long as me. And yes, I am LOVING DOOM3, which I have to get back to for the fourth time. And I also play almost exclusively violent M-rated games/ violent T-rated games, listen to heavy+death metal, read death note, etc, etc.

Then there's those it hurts society and parents have no control over it.... see first 1 1/2 sentence directly above. First of all, video games do NOT hurt society, and if you are a sociopath and you play them... well don't blame the games! Also parents ARE to blame. Parents and politicians are using games as the new Media Scapegoat for violence (and before that it was comic books, and TV before that, and movies before that, and radio before that... etc, etc) and if you ban it you should also ban the bible (in one chapter it has more sex, blood, gore than ANY video game ever made.

What really happens is this: a kid gets bullied at school and maybe even at home. He doesn't want to talk about it but tries to express it, mom and dad don't notice. Kid does homicide/suicide. Mom+Dad blame extremely popular games like DOOM and so on which most sane people have. People support parents. And in the end, the parents end up blaming the video games saying "It's not my fault my kid doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, or fantasy and reality, it must be those darn video games I kept buying him in lieu of parenting."

I for one, don't become aggressive because of video games, stupidity and ignorance do that (maybe that's why so many gamers are like that, all the dumb asses who try to ban the things WE enjoy) for me more than adequately. Parents SHOULD step up and let their kids play games, but make sure the child understands the difference and consequence. Also, NO ONE who has NOT PLAYED a game should be able to pass judgement on any game (like Shawn Woolley's dumb ass mom). Also, if a child kills themselves playing around with a gun don't blame it on a game, blame it human curiosity, plenty of people who DON'T play games screw up and that happens by accident, HIDE THE DAMN GUNS!!

For more examples, see: http://en.wikipedia....ame_controversy

Then people bring up, "I was inspired by GTA." What a load of bullshit. These people will do anything to get off. Also, if you can get a few years in an insane asylum it's a hell of a lot easier than going to a prison where you'll get sodomized. On top of that, it's human nature- to some degree- to think that if you go down, something must go down with you.

Religion is also NEVER a good reason to censor/ban anything. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF YOU'RE INSULTED, JUST DON'T PLAY IT!!! I HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY A GAME THE WAY IT'S ORIGINALLY MADE!!!! I don't give a damn if its immoral to show Muhammad, the Christians show Jesus, and since America/Britain is not bound to any church why should we follow such a ludicrous rule that goes against our first and most powerful ideal, the 1st amendment and pursuit of happiness.

That's all... for now!... So, what do you think?
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#2 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:11

Videogames don't kill people; idiots do.
Just because a small minority of arseholes can't distinguish between real and virtual violence, the game shouldn't be banned for EVERYone.
That's just politicians pretending to be 'solving the problem' whereas in reality, people kill others because of real life issues like failing school (=> anger) not having any friends (=> anger) or generally being an unlikable twat. Videogames as well as movies are NOT the cause of this. People like Hitler and Stalin didn't need videogames in order to become mass murderers. I watched my mum playing Resident Evil when I was eight but you don't see me running around shooting people in the head with a Magnum. Violence has always been and will always be a destructive part of our nature and unfortunately, there will always be those who succumb to its temptations.

As for the actual questions, I'm against censorship in every way BUT banning should be a rare option in those exceptional cases like Manhunt or Postal, games that are made with the sole purpose of sparking controversy because they're otherwise worthless pieces of software rubbish. Not because they're violent but because they're utterly useless, give ALL gamers a bad name and because they don't help the industry to evolve.

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:44

To start with politicians are out of touch with gaming / internet culture because it was after there time. They have comissioned studies, and the woman who was commisioned to do the study concluded video games do not encourage violent behavior. You make good points with by how at X age you would already been exposed to sex,drugs, violence ect. And while that is true. In a game you are the one doing the violence. They are a more visceral and immersive experience to watching a movie. That is why politicians and alot of stupid people think games incur violence. They don't understand games. It will be interesting to see if new generations of politicians and the like have different opinions, as they will have grown up around the gaming / internet culture.

Edited by Insomniac!, 11 November 2008 - 11:45.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:54

The censorship or banning of video games is one of the more ridiculous things I know, and really just a convenient way for politicians to blame things on, IMO.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:23

Banning video games- Wrong and Bad. Why? Well there isnt any reason whatsoever to really ban a game (unless its a dictatorship thats banning it). As said above games simply don't spark the violence. While you may be doing "violence in virtuality" its not like you are doing it for real. Just cuz some idiot cant realize the difference doesnt mean everybody is mentally insane and wont recognise between the real world and the virtual.

Censorship- Well I'm not really sure...Generally I think its bad though it should be allowed to some degree. I dont think it should be censored cuz it includes politics, terrorism, real warfare, blood, religion and stuff cuz of which games ussually get banned...though some games include too much gore and other stuff (like rape for example) and it should censor things like this but only those things not 90% of the game.

As far as rating goes...well I think that the ratings are somewhat screwed up... I mean I saw a game rated 18+ yet I haven't seen anything of "for adults only" content in it...not even the violence seemed like 18+ material. IMO the ratings should be lowered on most of the games (yes FPS and RTS's are the games whos ratings should really be lowered)
Posted Image

#6 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 19:51

Totally agree with everyone so far. Video games are just political scapegoats... remember comic books? There really is NO good reason for banning game- actually there is, let me point you to example #1- 50 cent Bulletproof.

I think that the ONLY way a game should be banned is if that the people who make a living by rating them ALL (Gamespot, IGN, X-Play, etc, etc.) unanimously agree to ban it, and they postpone the game all in the sake of saving that poor kid who loves rap 50 bucks, and even then it'll be almost impossible, so far the only games I can think of that would get banned like this would be Barbie games and fity-cent. I say that instead of killing our time and bothering us all the damn time, people at the ESRB should be rating games for how FUN they are and if they suck (see two above examples) then it should be postponed until the game improves. Yes... I have bought some REALLY sucky games.

All jokes aside (see directly above), I can see what you mean TehKiller, I mean... god! Somebody gets shot in the head and someone smokes and instantly its an M! I played MGS4, which I can't comprehend why it got an M, not a T; there's no sex or even that much blood! Although gore blood and violence, I don't think so, after all, that aspect is a lot of the fun (play Gears or Fallout 3- although I still need to play the latter... but it looks FUN AS HELL). Another game I can't understand getting an M, ZOE, not ONE DROP of blood, or sex, just mecha fighting (fun one at that too).

Although I still agree with excessive sex, that should be given an X-rating
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 11 November 2008 - 20:01

If they ban it, they can get it trough a different way (internet). The main reason why banning games (and most other stuff) fails.
Posted Image

#8 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 20:14

View PostDutchygamer, on 11 Nov 2008, 20:01, said:

If they ban it, they can get it trough a different way (internet). The main reason why banning games (and most other stuff) fails.

Well, I wasn't really being serious... although I don't see why ANYONE would risk buying Bulletproof. Although I DO think that there should be a limit on just how HORRIBLE a game should be.... I mean, have you played some games out there recently?So many of the titles I expected to be awesome were horrible or just mediocre; and while I have no problem with the latter I don with the first.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 11 November 2008 - 20:33

Only got RA3 recently, getting Fallout 3 too. About the first: do you really need to ask what I think about it (points at profile, avi and sig)? As for the second: dunno yet...
Also, I wasn't responding on your little post about Bulletproof, but at the global topic subject :)
Posted Image

#10 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 20:49

View PostDutchygamer, on 11 Nov 2008, 20:33, said:

Also, I wasn't responding on your little post about Bulletproof, but at the global topic subject :)

Oh my bad, and:

View PostDutchygamer, on 11 Nov 2008, 20:33, said:

As for the second: dunno yet...

I don't mean ban it, that was only a joke. All I'm saying is that this is.... well.... ridiculous. Game makers should have some self-respect and do it all for the gamers and the art (as game making IS an art and shut your trap if disagree... I CAN'T HEAR YOU). Still, most bastards care too much about money so the makers like Kojima, Cliffy B, and many others are starting to slowly but surely dwindle as they did during the age of the first few consoles. Hopefully, however, we will also a rebound.

Oh, and about your profile, I see what you mean, but I feel that the bad games one was uneeded, after all, isn't just saying C&C enough? :).... And if I were you I would move bad games down to hate.... just a suggestion ;)

Edited by tskasa1, 11 November 2008 - 20:51.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:04

A: No & No

B: No & No

C: As far as it wants.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#12 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 14:04

Just had a thought, are there any Chinese people on this forum (as in IN China, not from). I mean, we talk about so much stuff, I'd be surprised if they allowed people on here. Anyway, to get more to the point, Middle Eastern Countries ban because of Religion and countries like China because they feel insulted. I'm insulted by that personally; in America, we-more often than not- set up a scenario where our country gets FUCKED UP for our own entertainment: see Fallout (any)/Death Race.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 FrontlineChaos

• 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 14:07

Banning-- Yes, but only in extreme cases where the game is aimed at sparking this kind of controversy (sounds like politicians making people think that games are the problem)

Censorship-- In America? That's the most idiotic thing I've heard of... I mean, what the hell kind of American would even think about censorship? I'd take the first one who does down to the mat and beat him til' he thinks otherwise.

Ratings-- Yes, but after PG13 they should be non-enforced, which means, they give a person the general idea of what's in the box.

Yes, I do tend to agree that people blame video games for pretty much everything, but, I'm just gonna guess that sometimes they do hit the mark (very few, and i doubt it would be enough for an impact)

Heck, video games help me along life, some FP games do tend to take the anger right out of me as I blast the hell outta targets.
Or RTS as they submerge my mind into a different state of thinking, forcing away all other thoughts.

View PostZero, on 16 Nov 2008, 22:04, said:

Just had a thought, are there any Chinese people on this forum (as in IN China, not from). I mean, we talk about so much stuff, I'd be surprised if they allowed people on here. Anyway, to get more to the point, Middle Eastern Countries ban because of Religion and countries like China because they feel insulted. I'm insulted by that personally; in America, we-more often than not- set up a scenario where our country gets FUCKED UP for our own entertainment: see Fallout (any)/Death Race.

Er... Actually, China can't do crap about us net surfers, the smarts ones discovered the proxy... which sadly, the Chinese government, even after ten years of "how the hell are they getting on those sites?" still has not banned/censored/found.

[Sorry, about the double post]
[Chyro-edit: posts merged]

Edited by Chyros, 16 November 2008 - 16:29.

"You want me to what?!"

#14 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 16 November 2008 - 17:09

View PostZero, on 16 Nov 2008, 14:04, said:

1.Yes I am living there.

2.Welcome to our government.

3.Look at C&C Generals for example, our government banned it for a real pathetic reason...
Posted Image

#15 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 22:11

View PostYue Ying, on 16 Nov 2008, 18:09, said:

1.Yes I am living there.

3.Look at C&C Generals for example, our government banned it for a real pathetic reason...

I don't mean to sound offensive dude, but I think that thats a real shame.... You guys miss out on quite a few good games just because of that... Still, China is becoming more and more liberal, and more like a capitalist country... Maybe one day there will either be true Communism (as in the liberal, great idea Marx came up with); or every country will become Capitalist and whatnot.

@ Chaos. What do you mean no censorship? Over here we have a few examples, although some of them ARE self-inflicted (such as the removal of blood in the Nintendo version of Mortal Kombat) and a few other games (I can't remember at the moment).
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:10

View PostZero, on 17 Nov 2008, 6:11, said:

View PostYue Ying, on 16 Nov 2008, 18:09, said:

1.Yes I am living there.

I don't mean to sound offensive dude, but I think that thats a real shame.... You guys miss out on quite a few good games just because of that... Still, China is becoming more and more liberal, and more like a capitalist country... Maybe one day there will either be true Communism (as in the liberal, great idea Marx came up with); or every country will become Capitalist and whatnot.

I don't think she was offended at all. 8| (yes, a she mind you, not "dude")

China might seem to be turning capitalist, but that won't help if the same people are still at the top. Capitalist doesn't necessarily mean no ridiculous bans.

#17 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:14

I personally think video games have less impact than movies and such: I have no problem blowing to bits thousands of virtual people, but put a violent movie and I'll squirm and generally not enjoy it. Probably because I understand what's real and what's not. Well, even though I know movies aren't they're a whole lot more convincing than any thousand pixel video game character will ever be.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#18 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:23

View PostRaiDK, on 17 Nov 2008, 10:14, said:

I personally think video games have less impact than movies and such: I have no problem blowing to bits thousands of virtual people, but put a violent movie and I'll squirm and generally not enjoy it. Probably because I understand what's real and what's not. Well, even though I know movies aren't they're a whole lot more convincing than any thousand pixel video game character will ever be.

What would happen if games became extremely realistic to the extent of you not being able to tell which a game is and which is a real life video.
Would your views change?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#19 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 19:43

I don't think she was offended at all. 8| (yes, a she mind you, not "dude")

Oops... sorry, I then change it to duddett.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users