←  Computer Hardware/Software

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Getting a new laptop - Now or later?

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 29 Nov 2008

So I'm looking at getting a new laptop as mine's starting to show its age. However a friend of mine has said that I should wait till August, as that's when Centrino 2 is coming out and supposedly that's going to be completely awesome.

Anyone got any opinions to share on the matter?

Overdose's Photo Overdose 29 Nov 2008

I thought Centrino 2 was already out. It is over here.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 30 Nov 2008

Maybe your friend was referring to the Core i7 mobile? If you have the patience I would wait as the Nehalem chips are indeed pwnsome on desktops.

Prophet of the Pimps's Photo Prophet of the Pimps 01 Dec 2008

Wait as much as you can. Next year we might just see some DDR3 ram based latops with Nvidia chipset like the one used in the New Macbook pro to be more main stream. So wait because there are just way way too many things getting released next year. Also windows 7.

List of things that are worth the wait
Intel i7 mobile
DDR3
USB 3.0
Nvidia New Chipset
Windows 7

Waris's Photo Waris 01 Dec 2008

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 1 Dec 2008, 18:18, said:

Intel i7 mobile
DDR3
USB 3.0
Nvidia New Chipset
Windows 7

And just when I plan to build a desktop rig next year.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 01 Dec 2008

Oh nice. Seems I'll be waiting then :lol:

Any ETA on any of those things?

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 01 Dec 2008

All of them will be either Q3 or Q4 2009 I believe though there can always be delays.

markintellect's Photo markintellect 01 Dec 2008

USB 3.0 is 2010 I think.

Crazykenny's Photo Crazykenny 01 Dec 2008

Wait 'till next year. PotP already named the reasons :lol:

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 14 Dec 2008

Well my current laptop has just decided it no longer wants to charge batteries fully, so unless Dell repairs it then it looks like I'll be buying sooner than I had hoped.

What brands of laptops would everyone recommend? There's no way in hell I'd get another Dell after the half dozen times I've had to get my current one repaired... I remember PotP talking up Vaios so I might get one of them, seems they've got a pretty good reputation for being quality laptops. I wouldn't mind spending the extra $$ if it means it won't constantly break like my current one...

Libains's Photo Libains 14 Dec 2008

I'd recommend VAIOs for sure - nice, quality laptops with a lot of power and nice features behind them. Agreed, they do cost the extra buck or two, but I'd say it was utterly worth it for me.

Crazykenny's Photo Crazykenny 14 Dec 2008

Dont count out Acer and Toshiba. I currently have a Toshiba A-300 and it packs allot of punch.

Prophet of the Pimps's Photo Prophet of the Pimps 15 Dec 2008

Asus G51 for gaming.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 15 Dec 2008

I don't game :P I just want something semi portable (14"ish) and decently powerful (At least 2.0ghz Core2, 3 gigs ram).

Dell XPS 1330

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 15 Dec 2008

I was looking at that one quite seriously, I'm just not sure I want to go through the whole Dell experience again :S

Crazykenny's Photo Crazykenny 15 Dec 2008

Dont waste money on XPS...

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 15 Dec 2008

Avoid HP's current line of laptops, their trackpads and keyboards are horrible.
Lenovos are extremely reliable. Their new Ideapads look good too. The Ideapad Y430 fits the specs you want linky.

If you wanna be the uber geek then the thinkpad SL 300 is an awesome option
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...C111310BD7DFE78

Alias's Photo Alias 15 Dec 2008

The keyboard and trackpad of the current-line Lenovos is terrible.

From personal experience I recommend a Toshiba.

The Vaio SR series of 13-inchers is also fairly decent for the money and quite portable. If you have some money to burn, the SZ series is also lighter and better looking.

partyzanpaulzy's Photo partyzanpaulzy 15 Dec 2008

I am happy with my Asus M51SN (15,5", good graphic card and CPU, TV tuner, costed some 1050 Euros, other so powered laptops were from some some 1110 Euros). Great for fun, great for work, but it's bigger than you need, runs on ACU for less than 2,5 hours, LCD is glazy* and so style (like my mobilephone) and I have it just for half year and I am starting having problems with writing on normal keyboard or watching on 4:3 monitor.** :P :D I have heard Acer is too much about luck and they have bad service, too. HP is expensive.

*opaque seems rare today, but you can see $#|+ on a sun on both displays
**I have used to use this laptop too much. :P
Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 15 December 2008 - 22:46.

Acers get too hot and noisy from my own experience.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 03 Jan 2009

So my plans have been downsized somewhat thanks to a lack of money, currently I'm looking for something 14.4" or smaller with 2.0ghz Core2 and 2GB ram, at under $1200AU.

Any recommendations? O_o

Edit: Looking at http://www.officeworks.com.au/technology/c...TOM300300.shtml atm.

Edit 2: Fixed link.
Edited by RaiDK, 04 January 2009 - 09:03.