One day they'll make a mecha series with...

30 replies to this topic

#26 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 22:12

I completely agree with AllStarZ here.
Posted Image

#27 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 00:12

All of that is taken into account, AllStarZ, and I agree, Gundams and other such large scale mechs are completely impossible. But this is why such series exist, to make the impossible, possible. Something that, frankly, you or anyone else is never going to see, and yeah people have their own imaginations for that kinda stuff, but it's that much more thrilling when you don't really know what's going to happen next.
Posted Image

#28 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:11

View PostCrazykenny, on 21 Jan 2009, 6:14, said:

Such serie exists. Google for Gasaraki

Sounds good.

Uh... Episode 1 gives a weird Evangelion styled ritual thing to do... something and a distinct lack of mech combat? Seems fairly interesting so I'll keep with it for now though.

What I'm really after is a series with mechs, and no supernatural/weird other aspects, something where the characters solve their problems by doing cool things with technology instead of relying on weird superhuman powers / mystics / songs.

Edited by RaiDK, 21 January 2009 - 11:01.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#29 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 21 January 2009 - 17:11

You mean like in Star Trek where the Federation always seems to win despite being heavily outnumbered and outgunned thanks to some on-the-spot improvisation?

#30 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 18:19

Well it's better than the good guys always seeming to win despite being heavily outnumbered and outgunned thanks to the unstable superpowers of a random pale girl they happened to pick up somewhere.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#31 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 21 January 2009 - 21:36

View PostAllStarZ, on 20 Jan 2009, 22:36, said:

The thing is though, making huge Gundams is impossible. They cannot move with that much speed, that much manoeuvrability, and they cannot be made that big. They completely ignore existing physical laws. I only "dabble" in physics, but at the very least they break all three of Newton's fundamental laws of motion, and at least the first law of thermodynamics. They can accelerate from a standing position to non-visible speed in less than a second, and then decelerate at the same rate. Similarly, due to this insane acceleration/deceleration, an enormous amount of energy must be transferred from one state to another. Even in a non-gravity environment you cannot ignore these laws.

They wouldn't even be militarily practical: Something like Wing Zero would take an incredible amount of resources to construct, be logistically demanding, and would spend more time in a shop than out in the field. The larger and more technically complex something is, the more likely it is to break down. And then you'd only have at best a few at a time, which hardly makes them strategically useful even if they are incredibly powerful. So they can crush conventional weapons with ease. But the amount of resources you dedicate to their upkeep would come at the cost of your other forces.

And I agree with the limitations. The problem with the Zero is that everything you adressed was also adressed in the show (it was too expensive and powerful to be manufactured, also most pilots that piloted it would be killed from the physical and mental stress, something that shows up in EVERY real mobile suit in SEED and Destiny (if anyone hasn't noticed the Coordinator ones seem to be MUCH more effective than the natural ones))

I won't even adress Logistics, addressed in SEED pretty effectively, some in the originals, almost not at all in Wing. Sure, afterall, the gundams ARE expensive, but when you think about it, nowhere near as expensive as the spaceships that transport them. If anything, I say they could show up within the next few centuries in outerspace, not so much on Earth.

The speed, IS unrealistic, although I rarely see such turning in space (at least in SEED), I mostly see a lot of twisting and turning to avoid, maneuvering probable in space because weight would not marry. But maybe the powersource isn't. A few used Nuclear Reactors, and others used batteries. Thinking about it, the batteries can probably hold a huge amount of power due to the advancement of the people (if you can colonize space, then these people can make Monster Batteries). Also, how do they break those physical laws, just curious as I've never seen them very much outside of SEED and Destiny (and those I didn't pick up on) and would like to know.

Edited by Zero, 21 January 2009 - 21:53.

Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users