Catholics offended by the Hokey Cokey?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 17:52

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/f...icle5375697.ece

Senior Catholics in Scotland have warned that Protestants who sing the Hokey Cokey could fall foul of laws outlawing incitement of religious hatred.

They claim the song was originally written to mock the Catholic mass and that its derisive overtones have been revived by football fans.

Supporters of the largely Protestant Glasgow Rangers club have been banned from the once common practice of singing antiCatholic songs at the club’s ground when it plays Celtic, which has Catholic roots. Now fans are discussing on websites the possibility of singing the Hokey Cokey to get around the rule.

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for Cardinal Keith O’Brien, leader of the Catholic church in Scotland, said: “This song, although apparently innocuous, was devised as an attack on and a parody of the Catholic mass.”

According to the church, the song’s title derives from “hocus pocus”. The phrase is said to be a Puritan satire on the Latin “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”, used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass.

Murdo Fraser, deputy leader of the Scottish Conservatives, said: “I can’t believe Scottish children performing the Hokey Cokey are doing so in pursuit of any sort of antiCatholic agenda.”

Now this is the background, I want to know if any Catholics on Fallout Studios are offended by the Hokey Cokey, and if they are going to wage war on Glasgow rangers fans for singing it?

Sometimes I get the feeling that all these rights have gone to far, life is offensive, live with it!

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:03

Lul religions will find anything to be offended about

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:32

Honestly I find it hard to be offended by something like this. I'll tell I myself am not offended.
Posted Image

#4 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:36

Meh, the question is what doesn't offend them...

#5 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 21:06

I'd have to read the lyrics before making a judgment, but in a tense religious territory like Scotland it may be offensive to some Catholics. But traditionally Catholics tend to turn the other cheek every time we are mocked or attacked for our beliefs but if one team wants to be so petty as to sing a song that is certain to irritate fans from "a Catholic team" I say meh to them.

-edited for my inability to read well-

Edited by General Kirkov, 01 January 2009 - 02:06.

All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 21:34

Glasgow is in Scotland, not Ireland

#7 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 21:54

frankly I can say that this song doesnt offend me and neither do I kno who would be offended by it (at least in my region)...but then again we the Balkans aint easily offended as the dudes at the west (*cough* smoking as an example)
Posted Image

#8 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:05

View PostDauth, on 31 Dec 2008, 16:34, said:

Glasgow is in Scotland, not Ireland

My bad I just assumed they were Irish since that is the general flash point in the UK between the protestants and the Catholics.
All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#9 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:13

tbh, Catholics are offended by an almost infinite number of things.... EVERYTHING offends the damn church, then again, that goes for most religions....
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#10 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:17

Oh for the love of god, i'm sick of people / religions being offended by everything and anything. Get over yourself, you will be offended in life, fucking deal with it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:20

View PostInsomniac!, on 1 Jan 2009, 19:17, said:

Oh for the love of god, i'm sick of people / religions being offended by everything and anything. Get over yourself, you will be offended in life, fucking deal with it.

Actually its not the religion being offended but idiots who use religion as an excuse to whine about it...
Posted Image

#12 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:25

-nod

View PostTehKiller, on 1 Jan 2009, 19:20, said:

Actually its not the religion being offended but idiots who use religion as an excuse to whine about it...

Still, the thing is that if it is big enough that the leaders who LEAD it to complain (who are usually power-hungry bastards....like any other politician), and since what they say is usually law: that means that the religion itself is offended but they claim "it offends god!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:31

Those who pretend to be offended should just take comfort in the idea that those who 'insulted' their religion will be going to 'hell'...and shut their gob already!
Actually, this kind of behaviour reminds me of XBox360/PS3 fanboys. Secretly, they're so unsure about their own believes that they literally jump at everyone who says a single bad word about their little fantasy, defending their sacred console - or in this case, religion - with embarrassing fervour, probably to convince themselves that this is somehow worth it. On the other hand, someone who rests safely on the basis of their thoughts and ideas would just shrug it off and get on with life.

Edited by Rayburn, 01 January 2009 - 18:35.

#14 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:45

'Coming up next on The Onion News, the Pope speaks out about a general lack of suffering'.

Posted Image

#15 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 18:53

View PostZero, on 1 Jan 2009, 19:25, said:

Still, the thing is that if it is big enough that the leaders who LEAD it to complain (who are usually power-hungry bastards....like any other politician), and since what they say is usually law: that means that the religion itself is offended but they claim "it offends god!"

Religion isnt offended... just cuz some idiot uses religion as a tool to gain popularity to influence the politics (hey politicians actually do this) doesnt mean the whole religion is offended.

Now I can say, with right, that the person offends my religion because he uses it as an excuse for his personal issues. But personally I wont as said we aint so damn easily offended as you claim (or at least in this part of the world we aint)

Hell I could even say that you guys are offending my religion because of your comments that the Church is easily offended by anything. But I am not because of 2 reasons: a) I dont give a damn, b) I assume you are an atheist so I will ignore it because I doubt that you know anything inside the Church

'Coming up next on The Onion News, the Pope speaks out about a general lack of suffering'.

"Coming up next on Fallout Journal, TehKiller speaks about the excessive amount of SYD material where it shouldnt be"

Edited by TehKiller, 01 January 2009 - 18:56.

Posted Image

#16 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 19:01

View PostTehKiller, on 1 Jan 2009, 18:53, said:

b) I assume you are an atheist so I will ignore it because I doubt that you know anything inside the Church

Actually....I was a Catholic for 14 years and I'm still forced to go to church....so yes, I DO know LOTS about the church, now and before. Actually, I could recite an entire mass and what EVERYTHING inside is, so, again, I DO know about religion. But yes, you are right, I am know an aethist, and have been for about 3-6 months.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 19:18

View PostZero, on 1 Jan 2009, 20:01, said:

Actually....I was a Catholic for 14 years and I'm still forced to go to church....so yes, I DO know LOTS about the church, now and before. Actually, I could recite an entire mass and what EVERYTHING inside is, so, again, I DO know about religion. But yes, you are right, I am know an aethist, and have been for about 3-6 months.

I was reffering only to you but to everyone here that critises it.

You saw you were forced to go to church....even if you know an mass but did you cared about religion? Do you care that some idiots in the world are putting a bad word for it? And for what? Some political agenda or even worse a personal issue?
I actually care for religion and I wont allow for someone to put it down just because of some assholes. And that my friend is called a religious person.
Posted Image

#18 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 19:32

View PostTehKiller, on 1 Jan 2009, 19:18, said:

I was reffering only to you but to everyone here that critises it.

You saw you were forced to go to church....even if you know an mass but did you cared about religion? Do you care that some idiots in the world are putting a bad word for it? And for what? Some political agenda or even worse a personal issue?
I actually care for religion and I wont allow for someone to put it down just because of some assholes. And that my friend is called a religious person.

@ 1st part: Ooh...my bad...
@ 2nd part: Actually I did, once upon a time. About 8 months ago. I was VERY relgious once-upon-a-time. However, now I freely criticize all churches when I feel it necessary. Don't forget, a religion is nothing without the group of people who make it up; in other words, those same idiots who make up most of the church (or at least a VERY large part of it) DIRECTLY influence the religion itself.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 19:38

Based on region....a small group of idiots in one part of the world puts in a bad word for all the honest ppl in the whole world
Posted Image

#20 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 19:47

However, that small group usually leads a MUCH LARGER group of people who are usually +/- ignorant of what is going on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:05

View PostZero, on 1 Jan 2009, 14:47, said:

However, that small group usually leads a MUCH LARGER group of people who are usually +/- ignorant of what is going on.

Dude that's the whole concept of organized religion. It gives people a general direction in life or is supposed to at the very least.

Also, TehKiller has a point in that the Religion and God will not likely get offended by this. This is just the general uptightness of an older generation of thinkers.
Posted Image

#22 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:33

View PostScope, on 2 Jan 2009, 2:05, said:

View PostZero, on 1 Jan 2009, 14:47, said:

Dude that's the whole concept of organized religion. It gives people a general direction in life or is supposed to at the very least.

Also, TehKiller has a point in that the Religion and God will not likely get offended by this. This is just the general uptightness of an older generation of thinkers.

I'm sorry I think you either misunderstood or I phrased it wrong (probably the latter too), however not really what I meant. The fist part is correct, however, if the people leading the religion are offended and can get at LEAST 51% of the people to agree saying that "God is offended!" or "It is offensive to god!" then they, like company shareholders can do pretty much what they want. Also, if a majority of the people in the religion are offended, then they can viably argue that it is an insult to the religion.

On a sidenote I have nothing against priests, the priest at the church my parents attend is great, and he is a role model, as well as John Paul the II (one of the few Religious leaders I don't hate along with Ghandi and a few others). I do, however, hate the new pope, maybe because he looks like Darth Sidius/Emperor Palpatine..........
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:18

View PostPav3d, on 1 Jan 2009, 3:03, said:

Lul religions will find anything to be offended about

pretty much thats just a kids dance song lol
but do i dare say it fuckin mite as well religion is the root of all evil as i always say

its a dam good thing we ain't living like romans any more or the church would have killed us for this little indiscretion lol.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#24 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:25

View PostTehKiller, on 2 Jan 2009, 4:53, said:

Religion isnt offended... just cuz some idiot uses religion as a tool to gain popularity to influence the politics (hey politicians actually do this) doesnt mean the whole religion is offended.

This.

It's like saying "Some muslims in Iraq killed some people, therefore muslims are terrorists."

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#25 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:30

View PostZero, on 2 Jan 2009, 5:33, said:

The fist part is correct, however, if the people leading the religion are offended and can get at LEAST 51% of the people to agree saying that "God is offended!" or "It is offensive to god!" then they, like company shareholders can do pretty much what they want.

But you see the difference is that in most issuess made by Catholics over the media actually dont even got 0.51% of support even in their own country. So thinking globally their influence means nothing as they dont got influence even over 1 person overseas

but do i dare say it fuckin mite as well religion is the root of all evil as i always say

its a dam good thing we ain't living like romans any more or the church would have killed us for this little indiscretion lol.

No, politics is root of evil and unfortunately religion is just another victim of it.

And so to the Roman comment....if we were living as romans there wouldnt be any church and instead people would believe in a dozen of gods

Edited by TehKiller, 02 January 2009 - 11:34.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users