A World Without Religion

15 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:36

First of all, I would like to apologize to anyone I might have offended, I did not mean to, and if you are offended by this, I apologize now.

THIS IS NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED!!!!

I DO NOT WANT ANY THRASHING, I DO NOT WANT FLAME WARS, DO NOT ARGUE, THIS IS BASED ON OPINION (which should be based on facts more/less)!!!!!

Okay, now that the warning is done, as some of you know, I am working on a book....
Simply put, I need an infrastructure for the Shambalan Species (who, as a whole, are an atheist people).

A short insight on Shambala:
-Shambalans are over ten billion years old

-They are also the first form of inteligent life to have ever existed

-They are also THE most advanced civilization (this fact is to be left out, for reasons I will reveal in the book)

-The Shambala word for god/savior is Kamui; their word for demon/devil/destroyer is Usul (yes, I read DUNE and I liked the name, so I'm using it...by the way, this has something to do with a chac.)

-The Shamabalans regard to their emperor as Kami (a form of Kamui used when referring to someone), they also believe in his being a god. This does NOT mean they are religious, they call the Emperor god (the Emperor MUST come from a direct bloodline, or prove his worth in a...unique way) because he is scientifically so.
-To expand on this, some more obvious factors (which are also the weakest and most useless) is
that they cannot be wounded by normal weapons (only pure Orichalcum/Orihalcum/Orichalcite),
can use alchemy (molecule/atom manipulation) with their bare hands, and can shapeshift (to some
degree, or completely)

-The Shambalan Society is ruled by ONE Emperor, and a Council of Nobles (Working on name, suggestions?)

-Shambalans are the "children" (in terms of evolution) of humans, wait and find out how
-Because of this, having a half-blood child (called a "taint-blood," or a "Kashir") is seen as evil;
this is equivalent to pedofilia (species-wise) to them
-This is a VERY prominent theme throughout it, as one of the female lead (Subaru) is one
-Kashir (name may change, or there may be different forms) are treated like trash and seen as
inferior. The Shambalans try to ignore/eliminate them because they fear that further interbreeding
would lead to the devolution of the Shambalan species

-Their homeworld is Shambala, and is located about 15 Megaparsecs from Earth (that is VERY far)
-It too has existed for about 11 billion years and orbits an "immortal" set of five stars (although
usually only one/two can be seen) of about, or slightly larger size of our sun
-This is achieved by "feeding" the stars and extracting "wastes"

-It is NOT immoral to marry/have sex with a human, however, having a child is forbidden (once by
law but the law was repealed about 2 billion years before the story starts by a past form of the
main character)

Fun Facts (this has NOTHING to do with the above, is just a treat, although you MAY use it....):
-Shambala is almost exactly like Earth in terms of gravity, and continent shape and most composition, although it should be noted it is four/five times the size of Earth

-There is a small continent non-existent on Earth called Ishbal, located between Europe and Africa (connects them by land). The place is a wasteland, at the beginning, and was home to now-extinct Ishbalans (the "Angels and Demons" as they were known before their extinction in 3 billion Universal Time (UT)

-It is the ONLY planet in the 3D Universe that has large amounts of Orichalcum or Orihalcum, although it IS diluted. Other planets only hold a few thousand to a few million metric tons of it, which is VERY little from what I know

-Some Shams and Kashirs are actually born with pink, blue, green, and other exotic eye colors-though they are rare; also, eye and eyeball color can range and be exotic (although most are white eyeballs, and red is a nearly-impossible rarity, ESPECIALLY the scarlet/crimson reds, even more so of the darker shades of those colors)

-Shambala is so old that the tectonics engine that drives it died a while before the beginning of the story. Of course, by this time, the Shams had already the power to make produce it artificially

-Shams can produce stars, black holes, and planets (as well as anything in between and even a galaxy if granted enough materials) in a relatively FAST!! speed (compared to nature)

-Shambalan Empire is the biggest empire in the universe, and its history and will only ever be defeated by the yet-to-form Human Empire

-Shams exist solely to defend humanity, a raison d' etre they CANNOT defy as a species, at least they will not. This will be explained.

That's it for now. I have plenty more, so I may add more.

And save for what I said not to, use whatever you wish. Again, if I have not been clear enough, I need a framework for the world, but I want some help (involve the peers, eh?). I already have a very good one, but want to expand on it...also....just so it is said right now, I want this world and civilization to come to life and feel real.

If you have nothing to contribute, do not post, and also, do not start stupid arguments. Also, no bashing...PLEASE!

Now...POST AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Zero, 15 January 2009 - 23:38.

Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:48

I am really sick of you using Anime as a Philosophy Tool. I may as well just make up all my backing next time I make a thread.

Posted Image

#3 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:55

So is this a question as to what a world w/o religion would be or a world based on some anime religion would be? 8|

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 23:57

Alias, on 16 Jan 2009, 0:48, said:

I am really sick of you using Anime as a Philosophy Tool. I may as well just make up all my backing next time I make a thread.

What anime do you see? Dude, seriously, read some; DUNE is a book made by Frank Herbert in the late sixties and part of a series, and is considered a Science-Fiction masterpiece (I am currently reading book 2, DUNE:Messiah). Also, most of this is my own, personal creation. So, do not say things so blatantly and ignorantly.

Also, seeing as you probably don't watch too much of it, go see Ergo Proxy, and be amazed by just how much philosophy is packed in it.

Finally, one of the rules:
If you have nothing to contribute do not post!
Just to make sure it is understood:
IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE DO NOT POST!

Also, @ Pavd and everyone else, jut ignore this and Alias' post, this has to do with everything stated above, NOTHING to do with anime. Sorry, this is a HUGE misunderstanding.

Edited by Zero, 16 January 2009 - 00:00.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 00:23

Zero, stop trying to do the mods' job by policing your own thread and repeating the same message.

If people post in a way that is non-contributive to the thread then the Staff will handle it.

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 00:29

Zero, on 16 Jan 2009, 10:57, said:

Alias, on 16 Jan 2009, 0:48, said:

What anime do you see? Dude, seriously, read some; DUNE is a book made by Frank Herbert in the late sixties and part of a series, and is considered a Science-Fiction masterpiece (I am currently reading book 2, DUNE:Messiah). Also, most of this is my own, personal creation. So, do not say things so blatantly and ignorantly.
I Googled it and I got Fullmetal Alchemist: Conquest of Shambala... and knowing your interest in anime I presumed it was based of it.

I know of Dune, I'm not that stupid.

Posted Image

#7 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 00:38

Stinger, on 16 Jan 2009, 1:23, said:

Zero, stop trying to do the mods' job by policing your own thread and repeating the same message.

If people post in a way that is non-contributive to the thread then the Staff will handle it.

I apologize.

Alias, on 16 Jan 2009, 1:29, said:

I Googled it and I got Fullmetal Alchemist: Conquest of Shambala... and knowing your interest in anime I presumed it was based of it.

I know of Dune, I'm not that stupid.

Not completely, when I first saw the show I remembered the name off somewhere familiar, so I wikied it and I go this.

It's:
In Tibetan Buddhist tradition, Shambhala (also spelled Shambala or Shamballa; Tibetan: bde 'byung, pron. De-jung) is a mythical kingdom hidden somewhere beyond the snowpeaks of the Himalayas. It is mentioned in various ancient texts, including the Kalachakra Tantra[2] and the ancient texts of the Zhang Zhung culture which predated Tibetan Buddhism in western Tibet. The Bön[3] scriptures speak of a closely related land called Olmolungring.

I liked the name, and thought it fit the planet, also, as far as Ishbal is concerned, I kept it because it fit well along with Shambala, and the it is taken from FMA's Ishval only in name. Sorry for snapping earlier, and I hope this clears things up.

Now, now offense, but can we get back on track now? I need ideas....

Edited by Zero, 16 January 2009 - 00:59.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:24

I still dont get it what does this have to do with philosophy...its more like literature
Posted Image

#9 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:32

I've moved this to the Creative Writing section because I don't see how this slots in to the PC.

I will consider moving this back again if you can explain exactly how this relates to the PC.

#10 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:47

Not only that, but I will say - and I will say it once and only once, as you have already been warned about this - that we do not accept atheistic intolerance of religion any more than we accept religious intolerance of atheism of any other form of intolerance. Putting a 'not for the easily offended' disclaimer does nothing to excuse the content. I'm not saying this is out of line - quite - but try to avoid going on any more spiels because everyone here knows your viewpoint on this subject very well now and you have gone too far in the past.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 21:55

CommanderJB, on 16 Jan 2009, 11:47, said:

Not only that, but I will say - and I will say it once and only once, as you have already been warned about this - that we do not accept atheistic intolerance of religion any more than we accept religious intolerance of atheism of any other form of intolerance. Putting a 'not for the easily offended' disclaimer does nothing to excuse the content. I'm not saying this is out of line - quite - but try to avoid going on any more spiels because everyone here knows your viewpoint on this subject very well now and you have gone too far in the past.

I'm not trying to preach anything, I'm just trying to get help with a civilization framework (socially and maybe even some history as well). After all, I have an idea, but I would rather have further input on it (two heads are better than one, eh?).

Now, can we please get some ideas flowing so I can start editing my notes...

Fun Fact:
-Shambala's people have an average lifespan of five to six hundred years. Some, however, live longer, some are even immortal, although about 99% of these are meant to do so, being created for a single purpose. These servants are called "Sulfir," although they go by MANY other names/

In a hurry, so that's all I can put.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:33

Science without religion is lame.

Religion without science is blind.

Without some kind of spirituality scientific progress would stall for lack of inspiration and direction. In absence of any scientific reasoning we have a world where well, things aren't explained for us, and we come up with our own explanations, a thousand arms flailing about in darkness. Well, that's as best as I can interpret it.

That's just what I will say on your topic title.

As for actual content, I just don't like it. What kind of, I suppose, science fiction are you hoping to achieve? Actually come to think of it, have you read any actual science fiction beyond anime or manga? You need a trip to the library. Think about what you want to write, and let the details come to you as you do it. Not the reverse. You never get any decent writing done that way.

#13 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 18:05

AllStarZ, on 18 Jan 2009, 11:33, said:

Science without religion is lame.

Religion without science is blind.

Without some kind of spirituality scientific progress would stall for lack of inspiration and direction. In absence of any scientific reasoning we have a world where well, things aren't explained for us, and we come up with our own explanations, a thousand arms flailing about in darkness. Well, that's as best as I can interpret it.

That's just what I will say on your topic title.

As for actual content, I just don't like it. What kind of, I suppose, science fiction are you hoping to achieve? Actually come to think of it, have you read any actual science fiction beyond anime or manga? You need a trip to the library. Think about what you want to write, and let the details come to you as you do it. Not the reverse. You never get any decent writing done that way.

YES my friend, PLENTY! The most recent of which are DUNE and right now I'm reading DUNE Messiah. And as I said, I already have a framework, but I want to use my peers (you guys) to expand and hopefully better it. I also watch Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, Andromeda, Star Trek (all but Deep Space Nine, which I HATE!!), Stargate, etc.

Do not forget that this is a civilization that is BILLIONS of years old, and they dumped religion because they reached a point where they considered "inefficient," one long rebellion broke out, and then two smaller ones a few years later. They did it and prospered without it, because they weren't bound by certain things (such as stricter morals), so they kept it.

Fun Facts:
-ALL Shambalan languages are derived from the much more ancient human languages, unlike the older (than Sham, but younger than Human) Ishbalan and Ancient Ishbalan dialects.
-Kamui is derived from the Japanese word Kami, and stdill holds all of its meaning: God, Saviour,
or Destroyer
-Usul, on the other hand was made to seperate Kamui from the "destroyer." This is solely due to
the first Shambalan Emperor who was born with the name, Kamui (although it is NOT the chac.
Kamui who appears in most of the book, it was a past form of Trace). However, Kamui can still
mean destroyer (or "he hunts heaven/disciples of god" to be precise-also meant in Usul).

-Kashir are not allowed to hold public office, nor have any amount of power past a certain point

-Shambalans class WMDs from SSS (highest) to F (lowest). Thermonuclear weapons are Class F

-Shams have....strechable DNA (for lack of a better phrase). They do NOT have DNA in fact, they actually have a COMPLETELY unique gene pattern that only they posses. Through years of evolution and genetic tempering, their genes are so...forgiving to species, that they have been proven to be able to produce offspring, with all but a handful of other sentient beings. Also, they are unique in that they do not give way, and that Shamabalan genes are always both dominant and hide the genes of the other species until about ten generations later (will be expanded on later). The only exception is humans, who have almost instant results, in terms of the genes showing and expressing themselves. This is due to a reason speculated upon, but most are not willing to research it, feeling that it might propagate Human-Sham Interbreeding and create a species of abominations.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to church.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 22:52

How ironic...
Posted Image

#15 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 19 January 2009 - 00:33

Give us some text man, give us a story! Don't waste so much time on concepts, simply get to writing. I can help, via IM, PM, or whatever... This forum needs more quality fiction.

Edited by Z_mann, 19 January 2009 - 00:34.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#16 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 19:32

Crazykenny, on 18 Jan 2009, 23:52, said:

How ironic...

I am forced to go. Unfortunately, my old priest who I admired as a role-model (as I do Brother Williams, Michael, and Joseph from the San Miguel School), left and now we have a new guy. I HATE him, he verges on fanaticism! Oh well....

Z_mann, on 19 Jan 2009, 1:33, said:

Give us some text man, give us a story! Don't waste so much time on concepts, simply get to writing. I can help, via IM, PM, or whatever... This forum needs more quality fiction.

Nice...didn't know I had anyone waiting.... RIGHTEOUS! Unfortunately, I can't. You see, this has to do with the last 1/2 or 3/4 of the book, it starts on Earth (and an arch is during a prolonged "WWII" where the Germans get to land on US soil and GB falls, somewhat). I already have the prologue written, however, the biggest problem is that my laptop got taken away because I overslept and missed Sunday school. So, unless I get my punishment taken off, my laptop (where ALL my work is stored), will be out of commission for about a month.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users