The One China Policy and the Taiwan situation

4 replies to this topic

#1 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 02 February 2009 - 19:27

The One China Policy

Most of you here probably know about the PRC's side of the One China Policy, which basically claims that there can only be one China, which includes the current PRC borders (including 'special' or unstable regions like Tibet, Hong Kong, Macau, and Xin Jiang) as well as Taiwan. The ROC (Taiwan) constitutionally claim sovereignty over an area including Mainland China, Mongolia, a chunk of Russia as well as small pieces of other nations (here's the map) Neither 'nation' will back down from this Policy. Even the UN, under the 1971 resolution, adhere's the to One China Policy and only recognizes the PRC.

Taiwan's quest for internaional recognition

The PRC has also adopted the policy where it would end dimplomatic ties with nations that recognize Taiwan as an independent state. Throughout the years fewer and fewer nations that offically recogize Taiwan's independence from China. However, many nations have indirect relations with Taiwan. Currently only 23 countries including the Holy See (Vatican City) recognize Taiwan's sovereignty.

Under international law, Taiwan is not a state, however they're clearly the de facto government of the island of Formosa and some other small islands. Taiwan has also applied 14 times to become a UN member state (and obviously failed 14 times). However, in 2007, Taiwan applied from UN membership for the first time under the title of "Taiwan" and not the ROC. (Article here)

The Taiwanese Opinion

Most Opinion polls show that most Aiwanese favor Independence over Reunification, but also favor keeping the status quo over change. (As they fear China might decide to forcefully take over instead)

I do hope that there is some way for Taiwan to gain official independance and international recognition because I think democratic proliferation is important to the advancment of mankind as a whole. But I just don't see a peaceful way for offical independence for Taiwan. If they ever really declared independence, then China would surely forcefully annex them, and if the Us got involved, then that might just balloon into something that no one would want: World War III.

I guess the status quo is the safest and most peaceful way of doing things. It's not like the can do anything anyways; since the PRC is on the security council.

So what's your take?

#2 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 23:14

Reunite with the mainland as a special region in the next decades. I believe that it's inevitable that Taiwan will rejoin the mainland, it's impractical to stay in status quo in the long term where they aren't recognized as a nation by many countries. As you said, declaring independence will just make China forcefully reunite Taiwan.
Posted Image

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:17

I can see that Taiwan would like independence from China to escape the political system in place but IMO I believe it is false that the Taiwanese claim they are a different people. After all, they are still Chinese. I think reuniting with the mainland is the best solution, and the current rulers seem flexible enough to grant them a status similar to Hong Kong as Taiwanese industries as significant and capitalist markets would flourish there with more stability.
Posted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 23:11

Even the UN, under the 1971 resolution, adhere's the to One China Policy and only recognizes the PRC.

I'd like to see this resolution go, so that if China crashes (unlikely but still possible) then the UN has the option for recognising both China and Taiwan. In the spirit of not having further needless bloodshed, I'd rather see China get to the end of the social journey they are on, than force something while they are midway. Perhaps it will fall back under a new Iron Curtain, but I think with the emerging middle classes the Chinese Government will continue to weaken, hopefully it will be smart enough to let go without another bloody revolution.

#5 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 04 February 2009 - 00:11

View PostDauth, on 4 Feb 2009, 0:11, said:

Even the UN, under the 1971 resolution, adhere's the to One China Policy and only recognizes the PRC.

I'd like to see this resolution go, so that if China crashes (unlikely but still possible) then the UN has the option for recognising both China and Taiwan. In the spirit of not having further needless bloodshed, I'd rather see China get to the end of the social journey they are on, than force something while they are midway. Perhaps it will fall back under a new Iron Curtain, but I think with the emerging middle classes the Chinese Government will continue to weaken, hopefully it will be smart enough to let go without another bloody revolution.

I agree that that Resolution is sewing the seeds of future conflicts, much like the Zionist movement in the early 20th century, and the division of countries like Vietnam and Korean. But China would never vote for something like that, just like how they would never vote for Taiwan joining the UN. There are also plenty of other things that could change in the UN, but that's not really something to be discussed here.

I highly doubt that the Chinese governement will give up their power; peaceful transitions without democracy is a rarity. My Parents were at the 1989 Tiananmen Square Protest and luckily left right before the slaughter. I was also at the 2008 Beijing Oympics and saw the copious amounts of forces they deployed there. From what I have seen and experienced, there is very little chance that the current Communist government could give up power.

On the inconceivable chance that they do and yeild to democracy, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Taiwan reunited with the mainland willingly and hastfully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users