Aro's 3D Art Thread

18 replies to this topic

#1 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts
  • Projects: Twisted Insurrection, TS: UMP, Evolution

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:20

Hello again everyone.
I've finally gotten myself a 3D program that I'm willing to sit down and learn more about (Cinema4D). I've been practicing but I still can't yield great results. I'm looking for advice on how I can improve, tips on how to use the program to it's full extent etc.

Posted Image

This is my first real Model, and I'm quite happy with the result as I have very little modeling experience, but I'd really like to improve.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Aro, 03 March 2009 - 01:23.

Aro - Leader of Twisted Insurrection and Evolution.

Tiberian Sun: UMP
Tiberian Sun: Modding Tools
Tiberian Sun: Mapping Tools

"Aro for Dictator!" - Droke
"Aro for President!" - CL4ymOr3
"You're Aro, you always win." - daTS
"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

#2 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:12

It's very good textures for a first model. Although I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you didn't make those textures by yourself. (No big deal, I use a texture pack for my works. 8|) (If you did, then :sly: )

The model is well... lets just say I can count the polys on my hands.

Off to a good start though, keep using textures like that. (Maybe as a little excersice in self-improvement, try to make the house better; add a roof-only texture, maybe a dumpster and/or AC unit on the side, or perhaps a chimney).

Edited by NergiZed, 03 March 2009 - 02:12.

#3 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:20

good 1st. good luck wth this man
Attached Image

#4 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:21

Thanks.
The metal texture was not made by me, It was given to me by DonutArnold (Not sure if he's known here), but I'm not sure who made it exactly. The darker textures on the door / windows etc. where made by me even though they're crud compared to the metal wall and roof texture. 8|

I'm no expert with modeling, this is my first as I mentioned above so I'm not too good at the more complicated designs (I'll get there eventually).

The model itself was intended to be a storage hut for weaponry etc. I'll keep on giving it a go though, I'll try some more advanced shapes in the future, maybe try to improve this model with some barrels, crates, chimney's etc.

Here is a little landscape thing I tried to make for a more advanced shape, but I'm not entirely happy with it (Textures made from scratch in Photoshop).

Posted Image

"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

#5 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:40

I'm very impressed with that texture, though partially due to it, I really can't make out the geometry.

But damn, made from scrath? That's a very nice texture, it almost seems like there's a bump map applied to the mesh.

#6 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:47

Thanks. 8|
I don't like the model itself, as you said it's hard to make out the shape due-to the busy texture, I'll have to try and avoid that. Making some things TOO detailed is a problem I keep experiencing according to my buddies on P.P.M.
If I do get to the point where I become a good modeler like many of the guys I've seen around here, I'd commit my modeling abilities to my Twisted Insurrection Project. In-game the models would be a LOT smaller, and when downsized, pretty much all the models I make lose lots of quality, I'm still trying to find a way to make detailed models, but to keep them looking detailed at a smaller size as well as a larger size.
Unfortunately I do not own that texture anymore, I accidentally deleted it (along with a lot of my other textures) a while ago when I was cleaning out my directory, but not to worry, I'm sure I can produce another one and Improve upon it.

Edit: Fixed spelling.

Edited by Aro, 03 March 2009 - 02:55.

#7 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:52

You should try using Dreamscape to mold your terrain in Max. I find it to be quite useful in making detailed ground for my scenes. All you have to do is paint, and it even supports painting textures in order to have some nice, uneven ground.
Posted Image

#8 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 13:39

The "cliffs", or whatever you call them, seem to stand out a bit _too_much. If they're the thing we're supposed to look at, hell yeah, looks good.

House needs an antenna 8|
Posted Image

#9 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 03 March 2009 - 16:46

And I thought we would never see Aro here anymore 8|
Anyways, they look good for a first try. Keep up the good work :sly:
Posted Image

#10 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:47

Can't get rid of me that easily. Even the famous Aro needs help with some things. :P
I'll give the hut another go tonight, I'll change the roof texture, throw in more details etc.

#11 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:56

I decided to scrap the first model and to just try modeling something else instead, this is my second building attempt. Textures made from scratch in photoshop, but less detail so it looks better at in-game size.

Posted Image

Edited by Aro, 04 March 2009 - 05:58.

#12 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:15

Hey, that's nice stuff. I particularly like the railings and doors - they make all the difference. What do you intend to use your models for, if indeed you have an intended use? They seem like they're made for some sort of city simulator at the moment, but is this a woefully misguided guess?

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:23

I'm guessing for use in RA2 or TS.

#14 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:27

that's what it looks like yeah :P
it's time to wake up

#15 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:33

Hey, that's nice stuff. I particularly like the railings and doors - they make all the difference. What do you intend to use your models for, if indeed you have an intended use? They seem like they're made for some sort of city simulator at the moment, but is this a woefully misguided guess?

Thanks. |8 Everything I make is intent for Twisted Insurrection (A Project set upon the TS Engine), hence why I'd like to get better. What we lack are modelers on the team who actually have the time to get something done once in a while (They're all busy guys), so I thought that If I took up modeling, we wouldn't need to look for an extra modeler and more things would get done (Even though I'm really busy myself, I rarely have the time to even mod anymore).

Here is a picture of the building in-game if you care. :P

Edited by Aro, 04 March 2009 - 13:10.

#16 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:21

sweet building, especiallly ingame. wouldnt of guessed it was a 3rd model by someone
Attached Image

#17 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:08

Thanks. :eek:
Here is my third building model, this was a civilian power plant attempt. Like the last one, I minimized the detail on the high res render so it would look better at in-game size. The brick texture wasn't made by me.

In-game size & Damaged
Preview of the building in-game

Attached File  highresplant.PNG (512.98K)
Number of downloads: 24

Edit: Fixed spelling.

Edited by Aro, 06 March 2009 - 15:12.

#18 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:13

Saw this on PPM already. Again, quite nice. But I see something that might be a problem. There's some white part at the border of the roof and the walls.

#19 Aro

Visitor

• 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 16:21

Yeah, that was a stupid mistake I made, unfortunately I never saved the model so I can't go back to edit it. Doesn't matter though, at in-game size you can't see the problem. :eek:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users