Times Capsule: Technology Beyond 2009

24 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:17

I was thinking of creating a kind of time capsule thread for sometime but never got around to it until i was reminded by this thread.

Basically we post our own suggestions (Can be purely original guesstimates, something radical or ideas taken from well known sources).

The question of this thread is what Technology do you expect for us to have by 2010, or specifically March 31 2010.
This thread will be locked on March 31 2009 and our ideas sealed inside until a sister thread is opened in March 31 2010 to talk about the ideas raised in this thread and to maybe see if any of the predictions have come to light.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:28

Apple to have created a Laptop or Desktop computer with full touch screen capabilities similar to their iPod touch.

Windows 7 to be rushed to release, with very few people buying it.

Google software phones to claim a considerable market share.

Yahoo to fall foul of the economic crisis and merge with another market leader, such as Microsoft.

An advance in solid-state drive technology, either with a great increase in capacity, or a great decrease in price for current drives.

A far greater amount of bandwidth heavy applications and streaming content available on the web, which in turn will result in:

UK protests at some point for faster, fibre-optic broadband connections.
For there can be no death without life.

#3 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:33

@Aj, theres a windows with that feature. |8
All Info. :P

Edited by Sergeant Major J. Kid, 03 March 2009 - 20:36.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#4 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:37

Windows tablets are sluggish and not particularly fun to use. If Apple gets it right, the same way that they have done with the iPhone/iPod Touch, then it will revolutionise that area.

And yeah, I used to use one of those as a prefect at my last school. Sluggish and boring.

Edited by AJ, 03 March 2009 - 20:38.

For there can be no death without life.

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:49

If i said lets make a topic on Mac Vs Windows i would have made one like that :P
Keep on topic of predictions of the future, not things that have already happened as it defeats the point of this thread.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 16:15

2 Words: Zombie Apocalypse :P
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#7 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 04 March 2009 - 18:03

C&C4/RA4/Gen2 being released and none of the original fans liking it, except some rush fanatics
Posted Image

#8 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:31

The debut of the Chevrolet Volt will spur many automakers who are beginning to recover from the economic crisis to research and develop more viable and affordable plug-in hybrids.
SUVs will further die and smart monospaces (translation from French as I'm unsure of the right English word) and station wagons will replace them.
OLED TVs will begin to appear on market and reach reasonable prices and sizes (still expensive)
Better and cheaper SSDs will slowly replace HDDs in laptops
Windows Mobile 7 will be late to the touch phone party but will save it from falling out of the race. Meanwhile Android and the new OSS Symbian will make a rage in the market with open source ideas.
Windows 7 will be released in a low key manner and will up to everybody's expectations (which aren't that high). Mac OSX Snow Leopard will be evolutionary not revolutionary.

Edits may be added soon. (Before TheDr locks of course)
Posted Image

#9 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:56

23% of the forum population will lose its virginity.

Sorry, just had to say it. XP

-Rorscahch

#10 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:34

We did say TECHNOLOGY
Posted Image

#11 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 14:15

...the same as 2009. Well in the Australian Air Force their F-111s are gonna get replaced, so maybe they'll make a TC, too.
Posted Image

#12 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:29

View PostDestiny, on 6 Mar 2009, 23:15, said:

...the same as 2009. Well in the Australian Air Force their F-111s are gonna get replaced, so maybe they'll make a TC, too.

thats bull shit the F-111s are wicked and their is no need to replace something that isn't broken our fleet of F-18s and F-111s are some of the oldest operational aircraft in the world that are still running.
and im liking the 2009 Holden HSV W427 and loving the stats that are coming from its 7.0-liter LS7 V8 engine XD
to bad i don't have $150,000 AUD though.
i dont think 4WDs will die out with the technology they are putting in them these days the 2008 Toyota LandCruiser GLX 4.5-litres twin turbo V8 diesel engine puts out 10l/100km which is much better than my standard 93 LandCruiser GXRV 4.5-litre V6! that shit is awesome

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#13 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:35

Keyword: oldest. You have to keep up with the world with your military or you won't be able to defend yourself. Also, spare parts and stuff like that will be scarce for old machines.

#14 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:53

true, true but Australia is leading the world (if documentary isn't lying) on patching cracks and shit up on the airframes on the old jets and if you can get a hold of a good quality photo of an F-18 you can see discolored square patches on the body and the way i see it is that we will be pushing buttons for missiles before we launch the military if china or some country decides to invade

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#15 Liten

Morally Moose

• 326 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 17:58

Sweden gettin up from our lazy asses and Kicking U.S.As ass in AN ÛBER WAR!!! C&C :D [<--- Belive it or not]

Microsoft releasing a Windows XP Service Pack 4 (If they havn´t already D:), My comp getting Viruses again :funnypost: , RotR fully released :eek:, Shockwave getting attention from EA and is showned in BCPT (Wait, that happend D:), Shockwave Fully released aswell :wtfsign:
Posted Image

Kyle Carter said:

Harry Potter is the safety scissors of the Fantasy genre

#16 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 18:46

...this thread...? Ahahaha. Not funny.

I think 2009 might be the Apocalypse. Not a Zombie one, but...I just have this feeling this year isn't going to be very...normal. And so we will probably get Uprising, boo at the Grinder, probably Windows 7, some of those things they're researching/experimenting somewherer in the world etc.
Posted Image

#17 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 07 March 2009 - 00:04

Mobile phones with video projectors.

Windows 7.

I might think of some more later...

#18 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:37

The monopoly of TMNut (TMNet, local ISP) finally broken. (I wish)

#19 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 14:59

View PostDestiny, on 7 Mar 2009, 3:46, said:

I think 2009 might be the Apocalypse. Not a Zombie one, but...I just have this feeling this year isn't going to be very...normal. And so we will probably get Uprising, boo at the Grinder, probably Windows 7, some of those things they're researching/experimenting somewherer in the world etc.

come on Zombie Apocalypse is the only fun way to go out and im the only one im my street who owns a fire arm and is in a close proximity to a police station a major shopping center and a minor shopping complex (500 meters give or take) i hold all the cards :sly:
and i cant imagine that any other apocalypse to be any fun maybe a nuclear one could be but i doubt it

#20 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 15:17

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 8 Mar 2009, 14:59, said:

View PostDestiny, on 7 Mar 2009, 3:46, said:

come on Zombie Apocalypse is the only fun way to go out and im the only one im my street who owns a fire arm and is in a close proximity to a police station a major shopping center and a minor shopping complex (500 meters give or take) i hold all the cards :sly:
and i cant imagine that any other apocalypse to be any fun maybe a nuclear one could be but i doubt it

As much as i like the idea of an apocalypse (Kinda depressing topic D:) it doesn't have a place in the "Technology Beyond 2009" thread.

So if you want to post about it anymore, create your own thread with that topic in mind.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#21 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 20:27

*Bumps*

Only two days left till it gets closed.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#22 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:47

GFX card all use GDDR5 Memory.

Core i7 released as mainstream.

DDR3 RAM started being widely used.

A single 2TB HDD.

300GB SSD.

Affordable SSD.

Edited by ΓΛPΤΘΓ, 30 March 2009 - 21:50.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#23 G-sus

batshit insane

• 802 posts
  • Projects: Coding Skynet

Posted 30 March 2009 - 21:51

StarCraft2 |8
Posted Image
(Sig by The DR)