Marijuana

13 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:15

Personally, I think marijuana should be legalized as a prescription medicine. To me, the beneficial side of the drug outweighs anything negative that can be brought up. This is also coupled with the fact that most studies which find negative effects have yet to be confirmed by any outside sources. Being a possible cure for cancer, the drug would be very useful if legalized for prescriptions.

For those of you wondering, I'm not a marijuana user and I believe it should be legalized for prescriptions, and not recreational use.

Edited by Høbbesy, 14 March 2009 - 07:16.

#2 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:17

I'm moving this to the Political Area.
Posted Image

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:31

I believe that policy regarding things like marijuana should be laxed. In the NL we have a policy of toleration that has worked very well for us so far - we have very few drug problems over here. Large-scale distribution is combated heavily, but "legal" cannabis shops instead can be controlled very well and this reduces all sorts of risks. In short, it's legal to own it, buy it, and if you have a permit, sell it, but not grow it yourself or distribute it illegally, since these things can't be controlled. I'd firmly advise other countries to at least try this model.

EDIT: also, I don't use drugs :P .

Edited by Chyros, 14 March 2009 - 11:32.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 14:27

In the future can people please lock political threads that are formed outside the PA. We have a selection procedure to decide who gets to post topics in the PA and could do without it being undermined with people moving topics into the PA.

#5 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 14 March 2009 - 15:07

View PostDauth, on 14 Mar 2009, 10:27, said:

In the future can people please lock political threads that are formed outside the PA. We have a selection procedure to decide who gets to post topics in the PA and could do without it being undermined with people moving topics into the PA.

iIll take note of that in the future. I did move it at 3AM.

Regarding the topic, I believe that the idea of doing drugs of any kind is still sort of unaccepted around the world. However, steps should be taken to get cannabis legalized for medicinal reasons and decriminalizd elsewhere (users not dealers). By getting the government to search only for large scale distributors it makes it easier to monitor these small shops and reduce drug-related crime.

Smoking for recreational purposes is to me akin to smoking tobacco, someting I'm willing to tolerate but would never advocate.
Posted Image

#6 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 14 March 2009 - 19:25

I would agree only it is proved scientific to be able to help patients, and only with tight laws and regulations to control the drug to stop it being used illegaly. (e.g. Non-medical usages.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#7 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:04

Fiurst off I'd like to say this: I'm not a drug user, excluding pain killers, and I'll never use cannabis/heroine/cocaine etc.

That being said, however; I belive that ALL drugs should be legalised for personal use If it could be controled somehow, though I doubt this would be possible. I belive that for a few reasons:

1. Petty Crime - Petty muggings and small robberies would go down; I'm 99% sure of that. Why? As far as I've been informed a LOT of muggings and small robberies are done by junkies, desperate for their next fix.

2. Taxation - We've seen how much tax goes onto smokers and drinkers, so long as the cost is less than the "street-price" of the drugs, tax the earth out of it.

(Note, to those who say that this would be to expensive and a strain on the NHS (GB) the tax from the drugs would easily pay for that.)

A point I'm not too certain on being The "War On Terror" - As far as I've been informed (by the media) 80-90% of the heroine found on Britains streets is from Afghanistan (sp?), and a lot of the money paid for the heroine, or poppy seed from which it comes from is used to fund terrorist organisations. As far as I've found by legalising heroine we'd be helping stop the funds of terrorism.

If anyone has any evidence to dispute my above claim please feel free.

So yes, I do belive that Marijuana should be legalised, as well as for the above reasons but as well because it does work as a painkiller, and rather well as I'm informed.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#8 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:28

It should be legalized for recreational use also. It's far less dangerous than tobacco or aclhol and is impossible to get a lethal dosage.

Posted Image

#9 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:48

View PostW!, on 14 Mar 2009, 20:28, said:

It should be legalized for recreational use also. It's far less dangerous than tobacco or aclhol and is impossible to get a lethal dosage.

However, the government claim it causes Phsycosis (sp?).

However I have a philosiphy (Sp?):

"If you put 50 people in a room for a night with a keg of beer there'll be a massacre, if you put 50 people in a room for the night with a pile of cannabis everyone will be high and peaceful and contented.

Edited by Jörmungandr, 14 March 2009 - 20:49.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#10 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 21:17

View PostJörmungandr, on 14 Mar 2009, 22:04, said:

Fiurst off I'd like to say this: I'm not a drug user, excluding pain killers, and I'll never use cannabis/heroine/cocaine etc.

That being said, however; I belive that ALL drugs should be legalised for personal use If it could be controled somehow, though I doubt this would be possible.
Not for a bad reason, since hard drugs aren't only very dangerous but also extremely addictive and this shouldn't have any business in any "innocent" recreational drug use.

View PostJörmungandr, on 14 Mar 2009, 22:04, said:

1. Petty Crime - Petty muggings and small robberies would go down; I'm 99% sure of that. Why? As far as I've been informed a LOT of muggings and small robberies are done by junkies, desperate for their next fix.
They don't rob people of drugs, they rob people of their money so they can buy drugs. If it's legalised, they still need money to buy it. The amount of people getting addicted to such a degree that they'd need to steal would go down, I think, though.

Also, since you asked, it's 'psychosis' and 'philosophy' :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:56

While cannabis itself is relatively harmless its acts as an intermediate between someone starting drugs and then going onto harder higher class drugs, such as heroin and cocaine.

The system in the NL works, but really only because of the mentality of the country. A system like the one implemented in the NL simply wouldn't work in the UK. People would not just stay on cannabis, some would, some do, but alot move onto harder drugs when the high from cannabis is no longer enough. I know this because I know of people that started with cannabis and now use cocaine as well as cannabis / Pills / MDMA.

Because cannabis is currently illegal the amount of people that it becomes an intermediate for is less. Thus reducing the amount of people that become users of class A drugs. However you could also argue that the illegality of it makes it more appealing to youths, which is probaly true. But the numbers that smoke cannabis would be far higher if it was legalised.

While research on cannabis is not yet entirely conclusive there is now significant evidence that it increases the risk of all sorts of mental conditions, psychosis just being one of them. This is what has led to the reclassification of the drug in the UK to a class B and because of the above reasons, I don't think it should be legalised.

Edited by Insomniac!, 15 March 2009 - 18:57.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 19:10

View PostJörmungandr, on 14 Mar 2009, 20:48, said:

And the list of problems caused by alcohol is tremendous, as well as tobacco.

Posted Image

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 17 March 2009 - 00:19

View PostW!, on 15 Mar 2009, 19:10, said:

View PostJörmungandr, on 14 Mar 2009, 20:48, said:

And the list of problems caused by alcohol is tremendous, as well as tobacco.

Thats true, and if alcohol / tobacco were introduced now they would be banned. However because the use of alcohol and tobacco has been going on so long and is so ingrained in society its not feasible to illegalise it. It would be like banning TV. Plus the government makes a ton of money from it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 13:33

- Marijuana (weed, ganja| cannabis indicum) lowers mental abilities of the user (esp. IQ), at least a bit (I know few people who used it)

+ Marijuana isn't addictive as alcohol, it's drug plant, it heals tetters, it slows Parkinson's Illness, simply THC helps some old people

It's really sad, that old pensioners who had tetter or have Parkinson are sent to prison because of small patch of Marijuana in garden (this really happens).
(although law says you can have small amount of marijuana for your use)

In 1970's there were serious researches on Marijuana in former Czechoslovakian Federational Republic, after 1989 became drug distribution easier and more common so Marijuana became illegal.
Those scientists say using cannabis teas and so is curative (and IQ and short term memory lowers just a bit), smoking is bad, but other forms are curative.

@tobacco: state earns money from this, so state won't ban it
@alcohol: alcoholic drinks are good for your health in small amounts- for average man per day: 1l of 10° beer (prevents guts cancer), or 1 glass of wine (prevents infarct), or 1 snifter of distillate. Bad thing is that people become alcoholics easilly (so that's why Muhammad banned alcohol for moslims).

Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 27 March 2009 - 22:29.

Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users