Email Jokes

3 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:17

I don't know if anyone else here would actually notice this, but, I haven't had any decent email jokes in about a year. I mean "funny" ones. And by "funny", I mean "offensive". I get about 20 text messages a day now with all the jokes I used to get on email accounts, but now they all coming over SMS. It seems that people are just simply too afraid to send me a "funny" joke using an ISP. So instead they have switched to the text message so as to provide some form of electronic content anonymity. I have a hugely warped sense of humour and for my mind there is no area that should be out of bounds when it comes to funnies, sadly the "Politic Correctness Police" don't agree with me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a shift in peoples attitudes as to how to communicate or is this a shift in technology to avoid detection? Are we now so paranoid about being singled out as having our own opinions that we are loosing the rights to free speech? Why can't we send these thoughts via email but SMS is ok?

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 17:02

I'm not scared about losing free speech, I just don't think the "funny" jokes are that funny tbh. Pretty much every one of those jokes is started by looking over your shoulder anyway.

As for wanting to hide your identity, that's a good idea, I don't trust anyone so I do my best not to let the Government know what I'm doing. I do have nothing to hide, but that is my nothing and you will have to go through hell to get it.

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 18 March 2009 - 22:26

From what I've heard people tend to avoid using work email for those purposes as they are easily trackable. Also I do not consider myself paranoid enough to mistrust my ISP (especially as I am not living in the USA). I still get both funny jokes be it writing, images or videos. I also get incessant chain letters from deeply faithful friends (yes it annoys me that people trivialize such things as faith through email). When I used to live in Lebanon, people were always careful about political correctness in face-to-face speech but people used to favor email because it is free whereas text messages cost more. Unless texts get cheaper, I doubt anybody would shift the medium for this kind of communication. In fact, the internet has become a haven for such political opinion blogs over there.
Posted Image

#4 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:51

Sending messages via moblie phones are much easier than using an e-mail. And yes, it is a shift in method of communication. The reaosn I only see (so far) is practicality.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users