What do you expect from Dawn of War 2 expansion pack ?

39 replies to this topic

#1 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 17:32

I know there isn't any official news about this nor even rumours but still such a successfull game would surely have an expansion pack or two !

So what do you expect from that expansion pack ?

I personally should like to see atleast Chaos and Tau sides even if they not do all of these 10 sides... Except that, base building, it would be cool to watch these Heretic units of Chaos to build structures with their odd moves :D

Edited by General, 24 March 2009 - 17:33.

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 19:49

I am pretty sure that base building will be a no go. Relic went a very different way with this game and although I haven't played enough 1v1 etc I think it will win out successfully in the end. There is plenty of legs in the online game yet, especially as the match ups are rather unbalanced (5/10 of the ranked players are 'Nids with only 2 Ork and 1 SM & 1 Eldar).

Expansion or DLC booster pack, as I reckon it's more likely to be, will probably offer more maps, there are like 6 right now and lots more wargear. 10 sides won't happen as there is no way to realistically balance them. This version of the game is much more about multiplayer than ever before.

I'd expect perhaps to see a new single person mission, possibly Eldar. Although if a new side was to be added it would probably be the IG as they would be easier to run the mission for as the Imperium/Webway is probably a better target market for the lore. I'd like them to add other races and the missions to accompany them but it just can't happen, the single player is too indepth this time around.

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 24 March 2009 - 20:12

Well I can see either Chaos or IG being added in the long run.
Posted Image

#4 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:45

Not in the long run...I predict they are going to be in the first (and possibly only) expansion..though posibility for the Kronz to appear too
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 21:32

View PostTehKiller, on 25 Mar 2009, 10:45, said:

Not in the long run...I predict they are going to be in the first (and possibly only) expansion..though posibility for the Kronz to appear too

Relic has already stated that DoW2 will be supported for 5 years [Source] so I doubt that there will be a limit to one expansion. Although it might be in the form of regular DLC updates instead bonifide expansions.

#6 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:50

Give me Tau already =(
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:15

Tau would be difficult to fit into the game I think.

In fact I am not very sure how they would expand this particular storyline.

*Spoiler Alert*

Spoiler

The Tau don't have a good reason to move to the sector unless they want to provoke all out war with the Imperium. It would be a case of deus ex machina to all of a sudden to discover the Necrons on Calderis or Typhon and I fail to see how they can bring in the Dark Eldar without it sounding very lame.

Personally I think that if there is to be an "expansion" it will have to be a totally new offensive for the SM, with the likely probability being utilising the IG as they are already present in DoWII. Maybe as an attempt of retribution on the Orks.
Spoiler

#8 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:20

I'd love base building, but that won't happen. Hopefully we will see chaos introduced, I love those crazy murdering satanists. They're evil, but so fun to play. I think another good addition would be more variance in the campaign missions, while they were quite enjoyable they were repeated to much. Wether this would take the form of a new campaign - maybe from the new race, or as an expansion to the blood ravens campaign.

A really original campaign would be nice as well, more in the vein of WC3, you start good, get corrupted and end up playing as the chaos. Sounds a bit cliche but with the wealth of lore at relics disposal you could get a truly epic campaign from that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:42

Would seem that 42% of the Relic community want Chaos added. Wonder if the devs will listen?

#10 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 17:04

View PostWizard, on 30 Mar 2009, 14:42, said:

Would seem that 42% of the Relic community want Chaos added. Wonder if the devs will listen?

Its not because they are evil but for this side is well designed as visual and sounds of Chaos so cool, I can say that Heretic builder unit is one of the oddest yet good unit I've seen in most games, I want base building back just to watch that dude building structures in Hi-Definition :P

And I agree with Insomniac with adding a few more things to it ( it will be similiar but cooler than Soulstorm Meta Map ) : You start with Space Marines again, then some events lead you to the way of Chaos, and you play with Chaos and take the worlds in a sector, then you play as Imperial Guard to end this corruption, then Necrons awaken to eradicate the life from this sector, you play as Necrons to take all of the worlds, when you succeeded; Eldar will come with all its might to fight with their nemesis and won, bring peace to the sector with force, then Tau comes and brings the greater good, if you like you may add Dark Eldar to fuck up the story even more |8

#11 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 18:14

As soon as I heard the Chaos battle taunts in the middle of the battle I went like "OMG". (this is in DoW ofc)
Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 18:51

Skirmish just isn't the same with tiny amounts of units and no base building, for the campaign it works fine. For skirmish I really don't like it. DOW implies a war, not 15-20 units....
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:32

Agreed...skirmish is way better with bases...CoH for example is about WW2 and alot of tactical gameplay (limited amount of units and all that stuff) yet you still got basebuilding
Posted Image

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 14:22

I've read a lot about people's opinions on the difference between DoWI & DoWII in the last few days and I am not sure I am 100% behind the point of base building. I agree that it adds another dimension to the game, but have you ever tried to knock out the HQ in DoWII? It takes nearly a week.....it's not like you don't get time to replenish your forces. I remember a beta game Dauth and I had against 2 Medium Comps. It took us ages to finish them off. And that was with 2 fully pop capped sides pounding down on the bases, including 2 Dreads which are literally wtfpwn units atm.

In some respects I think it is the fact that this game really does something different with the RTS genre. Not worrying so heavily about the build order, although it's obviously a factor, but more about the tactics of the battle, more care of each individual unit, more strategic deployment. You can't spam something in the same way as other RTS games (well maybe some Nids). But it genuinely tries to make the genre different. And there seems to be something about this that sticks in the throats of some more hardened DoW players. Anyone new to the game absolutely loves it.

#15 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 18:55

I would argue you cant spam units on DoWI. At least not against the harder AI's or human players. I can live without base building, but I like my large armies. And if you know your stuff you can in use every unit / squad to maximum effectiveness in DoWI. Its to easy and frankly boring to control 15 units effectively. The unit selection is also dire, no terminators unless you have alot of zeal, no LR, you can't customise your tanks and squads nearly as much as you could in DoWI either. DoWI had a winning and balanced formula, they even managed to pull off super units well. There was no need to change it from WAR to SKIRMISH. Its like replacing the battle of the Pellenor Fields for a fight between 20 orcs and 10 humans.

Edited by Insomniac!, 31 March 2009 - 18:55.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 19:07

I admit the unit variety is poor right now. Let's keep our fingers crossed the the first DLC has these things included, plus as many new maps as possible.

Just thought of something.....does anyone else remember seeing 4 plants in the start to the single player mission for sub sector Aurelia? Yet you can only travel to 3.....hmmmmm

#17 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:32

Yes I remember there was 4 planets but one of its population down suddenly to zero, maybe we should see some more explanation on it.

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:38

I wish the expansion was just like this

Pre-game visualisation

This would be so sweet to have it actually play like it as well.

Also, just discovered that the first big patch for the game will go live in just under 2 weeks w00t!! :P

Source

#19 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:05

That video is much more like it, maybe the files to allow that stuff is still around somewere. If those are found and unlocked I am definately downloading them.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:09

It's made 100% in Maya and apparently took every dev's machine about a week to render 8|

#21 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:10

Two things: Chaos, and Imperial Guard.

That is all.

#22 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:23

View Postpɹɐzıʍ, on 1 Apr 2009, 9:38, said:

I wish the expansion was just like this

Pre-game visualisation

This would be so sweet to have it actually play like it as well.

Also, just discovered that the first big patch for the game will go live in just under 2 weeks w00t!! :P

Source

That looks cool because you catch all the details without a textured background, background grey and empty, it let us see the tiniest particles and animations better, which is same in current version ;) I agree it looks more badass in that video though 8|

About the updates, game seriously need a quick-fix to current fatal bugs which annoys players, after that, we need moar maps !

As we see from the video Wizard posted : Pre-game visualisation , AIR UNITS already done ! ;)

#23 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:42

Only I want more burtal combat, more special effect(specially destroy building or bridge) and new campaing.

I don't think they don't add new races this time.

#24 D.K.

Semi-Pro

• 298 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:07

I'd like to see assault marines having explosives strapped to their legs so when they leap, they turn half of the map upside down.

On the serious note, what I would like to see is using of destroyable and static things on map, e.g. Force commander has 2-hand hammer, and nails some poor Guardian into some random spike or into wall.
Requiescat in pace, James.

18.11.1991. REMEMBER VUKOVAR!

#25 BloatedPope

• 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:28

Based on the storyline and the game's focus on strategy I think the game should definately progress with the Eldar. Their storyline indicated that the hive fleet would head to Craftworld Ulthwe next. Now I know that the Blood Ravens defeat the tyranids in the end but the fleet was just broken, not destroyed. It could make an interesting storyline and there would be room for other races to be involved. Perhaps Chaos or the Tau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users