Happy April Fools 2009!

27 replies to this topic

#1 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:37

We took a different approach with our joke this year, and made it less obvious. We had initially decided we would remove forums over the course of the day and then deny they ever existed. We first hid the wiki so that nobody would have any official 'reference' they could use to prove the existence of the missing forum. Then we slowly removed some forums, which actually started at about 9:00 GMT, but went largely unnoticed until much later during the day when the more popular forums started to disappear. We had no specific plan other than to just restore them at some point, until Hunter had the brilliant idea of getting The A-Team to 'save' the forums. So that's what happened, and an emergency choreography was set in motion to play the whole thing out as the forums got restored. The result you can see here. Everything has now been restored to its original state, including the wiki.

Of course, there was more than one joke, and just like last year many of you decided to play along in your own ways. Some of you started posting upside down or in reverse, which was funny but it got to me too at times, so better not do that again. 8| And of course the whole A-Team thing was initially just a grassroots effort that got 'adapted' to the official forum joke. Then there was the lots-of-Bruces joke which still confuses me, cause I have no idea how you all changed your names to Bruce. Some of you continued your names and roles from last year as well, most notably E.V.E.

As for my own name... I saw someone with the name 'Libains', which I suspected was supposed to be the opposite of Dauth. Dauthus is Gothic for death while libains is Gothic for life. So I played along with this and changed my name to a well-known Gothic name. I also changed my profile to be entirely in the Gothic language (which I am quite proud of considering the last known written records of the language are 1500 years old).

If any of you need help fixing your names, you can go here.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#2 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:42

View PostThiudareiks, on 1 Apr 2009, 15:37, said:

We took a different approach with our joke this year, and made it less obvious.

You and me need to have a talk. NOW.

But good idea employing the name change thread!

Edited by Captain Obvious, 01 April 2009 - 19:43.

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#3 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 19:45

I would say it's less obvious considering all of you completely missed the first half of it. 8|

Also, an alternative plan was to remove post count increase for all forums and/or activate it for SYD. But that got canned because it was lame and not obvious ENOUGH.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#4 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:01

Pretty clever guys. lol Glad everyone had fun with it. 8|

Happy April Fools day all!
Posted Image

#5 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:02

I didn't really notice much of it. And for what I did notice, it was annoying.

Kudos?

-Rorschach

#6 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:23

That was heck of fun. 8|

I'm spent time with SYD and type some Korean words. Anyway, Happy April fools. :P

#7 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:28

˙unɟ pɐɥ ǝuoʎɹǝʌǝ ǝdoɥ

˙sɐʍ ʇı pǝǝpuı
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:54

BRUCE REPORTING.

Worst April Fools out of the four years. :(

By the way, Waris used Bruce, with entirely Latin Characters, I used a Greek beta replacing the B and RaiDK used a Cyrillic ve to replace the B.

Posted Image

#9 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:01

View PostΒruce, on 1 Apr 2009, 16:54, said:

BRUCE REPORTING.

Worst April Fools out of the four years. :(

By the way, Waris used Bruce, with entirely Latin Characters, I used a Greek beta replacing the B and RaiDK used a Cyrillic ve to replace the B.

You should know that we came up with the idea merely a couple of hours beforehand. Was much fun on such short notice...
Posted Image

#10 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:06

Oh please Alias spare me the dramatics 8|

While it didn't appear as thought out as previous attempts, it was also very good fun, and let us all have a good laugh, which is what April Fools is all about. Plus, we did preemptively own YouTube too.

Everyone had fun, and enjoyed themselves. No need to detract from it.
For there can be no death without life.

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:07

I'm not 'detracting' from it, I'm just saying the staff effort was pretty flimsy compared to previous years.

In previous years you were actually organised, which made it so much better and convincing... this feels like it was the forum's first April Fools, sorry.

Edited by Βruce, 01 April 2009 - 21:09.

Posted Image

#12 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:19

View PostLibains, on 1 Apr 2009, 22:06, said:

Oh please Alias spare me the dramatics 8|

While it didn't appear as thought out as previous attempts, it was also very good fun, and let us all have a good laugh, which is what April Fools is all about. Plus, we did preemptively own YouTube too.

I have to agree with Alias, it wasn't as fun before. Besides it was only fun for those who particepated but still good nonetheless I suppose.

Also since when do you wish people Happy April Fools? :P
Posted Image

#13 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:20

I'm actually missing how it was very 'fun' either. Maybe I just have no sense of humor? I don't know.

-Rorschach

#14 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:29

View PostΒruce, on 1 Apr 2009, 23:07, said:

I'm not 'detracting' from it, I'm just saying the staff effort was pretty flimsy compared to previous years.

In previous years you were actually organised, which made it so much better and convincing... this feels like it was the forum's first April Fools, sorry.

you cannot do the same thing every year and what i gathered from the staff they had a hard time figuring out something that hadn't been done before allready.
I think your just behaving like a frigging jerk by saying the things you have said here today.

That's just my oppinion sorry.
Posted Image

#15 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 01 April 2009 - 21:59

Didn't enjoy it either much myself, but i'm a miserable bastard. Some people seemed to enjoy it though, I guess thats what matters. Fake temple of the admins is still the best by far.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 01 April 2009 - 22:09

I wanted to participate this year. But again I didn't know what to do 8|.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#17 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 23:33

Yay for sleeping through most of the thing so I wouldn't have to deal with forums disappearing.
- E.A.B
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Posted Image

#18 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:09

I noticed the wiki was gone, but assumed it was part of something else coming up...

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#19 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:13

View PostThiudareiks, on 2 Apr 2009, 3:45, said:

I would say it's less obvious considering all of you completely missed the first half of it. 8|

Also, an alternative plan was to remove post count increase for all forums and/or activate it for SYD. But that got canned because it was lame and not obvious ENOUGH.

If you did that...I'm sure I'll get a lot of posts in just one day. Well the day was great and good thing The Evil Forum Eater has been captured by the A-Team.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:06

That would have been awesome, provided somebody picked up on it 8|

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#21 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:13

Many people thought I was mirroring my text because I was doing their prank the wrong way. I wasn't.

#22 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:22

View PostZhen, on 1 Apr 2009, 22:19, said:

View PostLibains, on 1 Apr 2009, 22:06, said:

Oh please Alias spare me the dramatics :/

I have to agree with Alias, it wasn't as fun before. Besides it was only fun for those who particepated but still good nonetheless I suppose.

Also since when do you wish people Happy April Fools? :)

Yeah I agree too. It was certainly not as good as last year |8

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:15

View PostZhen, on 1 Apr 2009, 23:19, said:

Besides it was only fun for those who particepated

That's kinda normal for april fools, isn't it? :/

View PostZhen, on 1 Apr 2009, 23:19, said:

Also since when do you wish people Happy April Fools? :)

Since now!
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 SorataZ

Professional

• 347 posts
  • Projects: For the hunt I sharpen my claws.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 13:02

After all I got some more comments and we all were happy after the missing forums eaten by The Evil Forum Eater (AKA Bob) were restored. I hope you do some more crazed stuff next year.

~ Rika

#25 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:17

Meh, I've seen better years... But then, I was away for most of the day :/
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users