Starships and FTL Travel

28 replies to this topic

#26 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 09 May 2009 - 17:33

like anything you can formulate laws which govern something but with out a true understanding of the mechanics at work they could simply be very very good guesses note I"m not disregarding the fact that in normal conditions they don't work at almost 100% perfection its just humanity has long way to go before we can clearly state anything is impossible any attempt to state a impossibility is purely speculation till we better understand the mechanics in play.

so that's why we much continue to search for these answers because there not all ways clear cut and dry as the laws that some very very brilliant person figured out may seem. that's why science changes so much.

heck there are forces that happen in the sun which bend laws that work perfectly on earth its all based on the conditions and situation in which those laws are placed in.

so yes i can't show you now but maybe one day someone maybe me or someone else will find more to those laws that others didn't see.

Edited by Cryptkeeper, 09 May 2009 - 17:36.

#27 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 18:23

Do you have any reason beside speculation to suspect that the major laws of physic (especially gravity in this case) will behave differently in a situation common to our universe or non-lethal to humans?

Edited by Golan, 09 May 2009 - 18:25.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#28 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 14 May 2009 - 13:47

never said common situations but situations that are maybe found and that we are able to artificially construct but as it being non lethal to humans that's another question all together its just that I'm not ruling out any possible scenarios in what we call physics for there to be loop hole or a special condition which allows us to preform faster then light travel.

tho theirs a possibility that there maybe a common situation are knowledge of gravity in general is well limited and will continue to evolve and expand. so its less of a speculation as it is knowing are limited knowledge.

cosmic acceleration is a result of ? no physics can even truly explain why it is so i do have at least one to doubt the laws of physics as they are right now.

Edited by Cryptkeeper, 14 May 2009 - 14:08.

#29 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:01

View PostScope, on 2 Apr 2009, 21:55, said:

I believe the approach taken in Mass Effect is a fairly attractive one regarding intrastellar and interstellar travel. In that future, a strange element called element zero is discovered. When a current of electricity is passed through, it emits dark energy fields and is able to either reduce or increase the mass of objects within the field through what is dubbed the Mass effect. This development alongside the advance of lightweight ion thrusters allows for the development of FTL travel. However, the use of the drive core builds up a static charge on the hull of a ship, so ships have to discharge the hull which is usually done by parking the ship in the magnetic field of a planet.

Basically all ships have a drive core which is an element zero core proportional to the size of the ship. One special ship the SSV Normandy, a stealth frigate has a drive core 2-3x larger than the normal core for a ship of that size. This allows it to either travel at FTL for much longer or to travel without the use of its engines which allows for "silent running". When silent running, the ship also traps heat emissions in special internal heat sinks. Of course using this for too long would simply fry the crew. Of course even at FTL speeds, the galaxy is too large for travel. Most ships use extremely ancient but highly advanced "mass relays" left behind by the Protheans which allow for the travel between various star systems.

Basically, if you are really enthralled by games with copious amounts of lore, Mass Effect is a game I highly recommend.

As for my thoughts to whether FTL travel can happen, I am unsure if Einstein's relativity theories will stand strong when actually tested. If the Higgs-Boson does indeed exist and sports the ability to control mass, maybe we will be able to colonize other planets. However, we don't have the resources to build ships to get into space right now.

EDIT : I'd like to add that before we get into space, the concept of fighting will have to be eliminated. We hopefully won't ever need space based warships.

I am telling you, Mass Effect produced by Extraterrestrials ! It just have damn clever story and theories related to thecnology.

I think it'll probably something like '' teleportation '', not with some kind of uber engines or such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users