What about days for SHW and ROTR

10 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:36

Am I the only one who finds it odd how a fourm that's almost completely built around it's mods (And stupid Memes/Spam but that's a point for another thread) doesn't have days set aside for them, but does for games like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

Is it at all possible to make a Shockwave and Rise of the Reds day for the ES steam group to take advantage of?

---

Shameless Plug: Also I'm pondering a World In Conflict day, since the main issue with the WiC clan recently is setting up a time in which all members of it can get together.

Edited by Lizzie, 15 April 2009 - 13:42.

- E.A.B
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Posted Image

#2 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:39

TF2 and L4D are steam games so using steam is convienient and makes joining games easy. The idea is good to have days for Shockwave and ROTR too but organizating it is a bit trickier because of them not being able to use steam

#3 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:40

View PostWanderer, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:39, said:

TF2 and L4D are steam games so using steam is convienient and makes joining games easy. The idea is good to have days for Shockwave and ROTR too but organizating it is a bit trickier because of them not being able to use steam

But we do have specific Hamachi channels set up. There already is a bit of organization already, it's just never used.
- E.A.B
Posted Image

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:45

You can actually use steam for SHW & RotR you just have to add them as "non-Steam" games, I constantly get little pips telling me Ghost is playing SHW.

If you want a day for SWR mods make one. The community needs more active players in most games.

#5 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:47

Good question, Lizzie :D . Since the time when shite like "build order" and "CC sell" and all that was introduced and now that you will practically lose the game if your dozer starts off on the wrong side of your command centre, I don't play shw with FS people anymore, only my college mates. Fun ftw. *wishes he was still a noob*
Maybe it's the same for others, I don't know.

View PostWanderer, on 15 Apr 2009, 15:39, said:

TF2 and L4D are steam games so using steam is convienient

steam

convienient
Does not compute. Steam has failed so often now and looks for really bad servers that I wouldn't recommend this. Hamachi is much easier to use and doesn't fail nearly as much.

Edited by Chyros, 15 April 2009 - 13:48.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:50

I have a simple method for you, I cannot run it since my hamachi is now broken until July.

Make a room, release pw on the day, get people in get them playing
next morning after its finished, evict people and change pw
on the day return to normal pw and let people in.

Rinse and repeat.

#7 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:50

Agreed, maybe days for older and newer C&C games perhaps? Like the good old days of Red Alert 2 etc.

edit:

You make it sound that Steam is NEEDED for everything.

(I have Steam when I tried to install DoW2 but the cdkey was messed up)

Edited by Zhen, 15 April 2009 - 13:53.

Posted Image

#8 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:52

View PostWizard, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:45, said:

If you want a day for SWR mods make one. The community needs more active players in most games.

I could. The question is though, is the fourm actually going to back it? You back the TF2 and L4D days, but a comment like that makes it sound like the fourm leadership is less then enthusiastic to back this.
- E.A.B
Posted Image

#9 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:54

LOL Chyros. The integration of Steam into the games heavily is what makes it useful - it's just easier for matchmaking than hamachi. I would say that you have missed out on some of the better moments ShW has on Hamachi nowadays - we all know each other well enough so that we have fun instead of being ultra competitive - you ought to pop your head in at some point.

At the original idea - a ShW day probably wouldn't be a bad thing as it slowing down a little bit at the moment from what I can see - there are still players however, who play whenever the mood grips them really. RotR on the other hand... it's fun, undoubtedly, but in it's current state there are a fair few balance issues that mean that even for people who want to play for fun, there are still times when an imbalanced unit really gets to them. ShW I can see happening - RotR maybe not so much.
For there can be no death without life.

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:54

The forum leadership has no influence over the L4D or TF2 days. If you want to ask us to announce a SWR mods day we will, but our backing isn't required for any of these to actually begin. Ion did the L4D off his own back and that has been a success.

#11 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:58

View PostChyros, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:47, said:

Good question, Lizzie :D . Since the time when shite like "build order" and "CC sell" and all that was introduced and now that you will practically lose the game if your dozer starts off on the wrong side of your command centre, I don't play shw with FS people anymore, only my college mates. Fun ftw. *wishes he was still a noob*
Maybe it's the same for others, I don't know.

Well there's nothing I can do about that. Undoubtedly ShW did get soiled by the balance wars but leaving it alone does nothing to fix the issue. Might as well try to inject some life into it.

View PostDauth, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:50, said:

I have a simple method for you, I cannot run it since my hamachi is now broken until July.

Make a room, release pw on the day, get people in get them playing
next morning after its finished, evict people and change pw
on the day return to normal pw and let people in.

Rinse and repeat.

That'll work. Thanks for the advice, should I choose to use it. Or whoever will be running this event.

View PostZhen, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:50, said:

Agreed, maybe days for older and newer C&C games perhaps? Like the good old days of Red Alert 2 etc.

when I tried to install DoW2 but the cdkey was messed up)

Ehhhhhh maybe on the older games, though it'll probably be only one day of the week set out, where a random older game is chosen for play that day.

View PostWizard, on 15 Apr 2009, 9:54, said:

The forum leadership has no influence over the L4D or TF2 days. If you want to ask us to announce a SWR mods day we will, but our backing isn't required for any of these to actually begin. Ion did the L4D off his own back and that has been a success.

My misunderstanding then. I assumed since it was announced then such things were officaly backed by the fourm leadership.

Edited by Lizzie, 15 April 2009 - 14:04.

- E.A.B
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users