#1 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:00

Link
Link2

EDIT: Nobody finds this the least bit interesting? What the hell does it take to impress you!? YOU COULD BUILD ONE OF THESE IN YOUR GARAGE! I mean, using electrostatics is probably one of the best ideas I've heard in a long, long time.

Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 25 April 2009 - 03:32.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#2 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 27 April 2009 - 23:41

I call bollux; If it was a good idea, it would've already been done.

I classify this in my mind along with cold fusion and the blacklight process under 'phony science'.

Edited by NergiZed, 27 April 2009 - 23:41.

#3 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:37

It works! Where else would all of those fast neutrons be coming from? Though it doesn't break even(put out as much as it takes in), so it isn't a possible source of electricity, but it is FAR more efficient than those big Tokamaks.

Oooh! Look at this!

Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 28 April 2009 - 04:58.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#4 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:44

Well if it's on Wikipedia, then it's completely believable.

Though the Wiki did explain it far better than that jargon in the original two articles. (bless the collective interenet). In which case I retract my some of my skepticism.

I hope this program gets a little more money for it to progress. Maybe it will be a suitable alternative in fusion energy. In the most favorable of circumstances, it might evolve into another battle between AC and DC; between Polywell and Tokamak. Although I think that the Tokamak's are going to achieve a commercially viable Q value before Polywell 'reactors', cause those guys have the cash, building huuuge experiemental reactors like the ITER.

I had initially thought that this was some 40 year old tech that sombody stumbled upon, I didn't know that there was sustained research going on. On another note, the Polywell is based on the Farnsworth-Hirsch fusors in the original article, not presicely the same thing.

I fancy the nick-name of the device though. Scientist Guy: Wiffle Ball 7 has Achieved First Plasma! *uproarious applause*

On a second note, it it even possible for this thing to produce a net power output?

Edited by NergiZed, 28 April 2009 - 05:50.

#5 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:55

View PostNergiZed, on 28 Apr 2009, 5:44, said:

On a second note, it it even possible for this thing to produce a net power output?

They don't yet, but if I had to put my money on the first design to become commericially viable it would have to be based on something incorporating IEC technology.

Keep in mind the original Fusor was built by none other than Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of the scanning television(or Farno-Vision,as some would have it).
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#6 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 20:23

Yea, I'd assume that this reactor just isn't efficient enough with current technology, else we'd have viable fusion power by now.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 22:18

View PostNergiZed, on 28 Apr 2009, 6:44, said:

Although I think that the Tokamak's are going to achieve a commercially viable Q value before Polywell 'reactors', cause those guys have the cash, building huuuge experiemental reactors like the ITER.

However, the Polywell has one thing that the Tokamak doesn't, a brilliant idea
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users