Regarding Obscenities

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Obscenities (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Obscenities be allowed in Display Names, Signatures and other personal details shown wherever you post.

1. Yes (11 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 13:55

While not a saint myself when it comes to this area, I have a feeling that this needs to be addressed. Posting an obscenity once or twice in a thread is all very well and good - it's not going to affect a huge pile of people. However, I find it poor taste, to say the least, having to re-read obscenities every single time somebody posts, because it is in their display name, their signature, or other profile information that can be seen to the right of the page. This isn't intended to point the finger at any members, or at moderators, just a reasonable request that the moderators keep a closer reign on what can be added to this sort of area, should the members agree that the concept is not fitting for the community. Considering how this forum caters for all ages, it is unfair that we must expose our younger members to such crude language in such poor taste. While sex has almost been completely tabooed, crass language continues to be a problem, and our members have to see it every day. Personally, I don't like having to see that every time that I post, and I doubt many other members find the concept tasteful or even interesting.

While freedom of speech may be the board's policy, I'd like it amended so that people's personal profiles and related items are put forward in a more acceptable manner for all ages and, potentially, cultures too. Having such statements in such areas is honestly, very poor taste, and offensive to the people who use this forum. I hope that the moderators and the members will together agree upon this change - it is a slight change, and one that will make the forum more accessible to some people as a result.

Edited by AJ, 28 April 2009 - 14:05.

For there can be no death without life.

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:06

If you're going to censor part of it, you've got to censor it all, and that isn't something I approve, not to mention that I remember this being discussed a while back and nothing came from it.

Posted Image

#3 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:08

View PostAlias, on 28 Apr 2009, 10:06, said:

If you're going to censor part of it, you've got to censor it all, and that isn't something I approve,

Ditto. Plus swear words are just words, they are of no importance unless you assign it to them.
- E.A.B
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Posted Image

#4 G-sus

batshit insane

• 802 posts
  • Projects: Coding Skynet

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:10

you wouldnt be able to cut a clear line between allowed and not allowed anyway... >_>
of course i personally dont have a problem at all with it :)

EDIT: however there´s the possibility to speak some word of " y hello u all there, BEHAVE BETTER" and make the admins/mods make sure they all enforce that, so at least the tendency gets better.
i´d vote for that, even if perhaps i´m gonna hear that spoken to myself not that rarely...

Edited by G-sus, 28 April 2009 - 14:16.

Posted Image
(Sig by The DR)

True beauty comes from heart and mind.
(but perfection has also big boobs)

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:16

There are much better things that can be put into signatures, usernames ect. I support this.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:48

Pretty much agreed with TPAM.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#7 SorataZ

Professional

• 347 posts
  • Projects: For the hunt I sharpen my claws.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:49

For the first time I belive I agree with Ion Cannon! and that will probably not happen again so fast. I think as well some things go to far considering we have a huge public here and members of the age from like 12 to whatever. While I normally believe in freedom and speech, I do know some things have to be taken back because they just do not suit to this place. If people really want to show others so badly how low their style is, there are thousands of other forums (like 4chan).

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 14:57

View PostIon Cannon!, on 29 Apr 2009, 0:16, said:

There are much better things that can be put into signatures, usernames ect. I support this.
Not to fuel a fire here, but you have to draw the line somewhere, there are people who do find "bastard" crude, and you proudly exhibit it in your signature.

If this is to go through, we need to define what is an obscene word and what is not, and as with many ideas before this, I don't think it's going to get past the "we're too lazy" characteristic of the admod team.

Posted Image

#9 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:00

You know, if you dont see a swear word here, you're going to see it somewhere else.
Sure if someone fills their info and sig with size 72 "Fuck"'s then its a cause for concern, but it really isnt an issue imo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:06

Anyone can explain 'obscenities' for those who aren't that skilled with English? I know the Dutch version, but I think it means something else :)
Posted Image

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:08

View PostDutchygamer, on 29 Apr 2009, 1:06, said:

Anyone can explain 'obscenities' for those who aren't that skilled with English? I know the Dutch version, but I think it means something else :)
Swear words, expletives, profanities...

Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:08

View PostAlias, on 28 Apr 2009, 15:57, said:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 29 Apr 2009, 0:16, said:

Not to fuel a fire here, but you have to draw the line somewhere, there are people who do find "bastard" crude, and you proudly exhibit it in your signature.

If this is to go through, we need to define what is an obscene word and what is not, and as with many ideas before this, I don't think it's going to get past the "we're too lazy" characteristic of the admod team.

Yes, I realised that later and removed it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:09

The words that we see are only going to effect those of a lesser intelligence than any of the forum members we have here. And I agree with Alias on this occasion, all or nothing.

And in anycase, there are far more worse things on the internet younger members can accidently bumb into - I'm sure a few swears their parents or friends etc have already exposed them to are not going to do anything.

Edit: I clicked the wrong vote >.<, I was supposed to vote for yes

Edited by Brad, 28 April 2009 - 20:19.

You almost did, didn't you?

#14 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:10

View PostPav3d, on 28 Apr 2009, 16:00, said:

You know, if you dont see a swear word here, you're going to see it somewhere else.
Sure if someone fills their info and sig with size 72 "Fuck"'s then its a cause for concern, but it really isnt an issue imo.

You mean something like this Pav3d? http://forum.cncrene...p?showuser=3976
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:13

Offensive, racist username and signature can be avoided, and I don't see any reason not to remove them.

However swear words (not excessive swearing and trolling) should be allowed ONLY AS A JOKE.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#16 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 15:19

View PostIon Cannon!, on 28 Apr 2009, 16:10, said:

View PostPav3d, on 28 Apr 2009, 16:00, said:

You mean something like this Pav3d? http://forum.cncrene...p?showuser=3976

Personally I dont see how its that bad.
Its only words and its not aimed to cause offense either. (At least I dont think so, Im sure if it was it would be alot worse)

Edited by Pav3d, 28 April 2009 - 15:22.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 18:34

Yeah, purge those motherfuckers! Cleanse the world from their foul language! :/

No seriously, wat? Every user has the option to turn off signatures and avatars - seeing how annoying and irritating most are, that should be the norm even without being offended. Also, the users are here because they choose so - you are not their mom that has to send them to bed at 8pm and tell them what's nice and what's naughty. The forum does have rules that disallow extreme content so if you see a problem there you might want to ask for those to be more drastic instead of going all censor-happy on some negligible profiles which nobody forces anyone to visit either.

Edited by Golan, 28 April 2009 - 18:36.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#18 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 28 April 2009 - 18:52

I am going to speak out my own opinion and not the mod team's.

While I find swearing often in a sentence to be generally tasteless, it often does help provide emphasis in many cases. Everyone here is old enough (hopefully) to understand the consequences of their words. I do not support this. Technically speaking, unless the swear word is used in bashing someone or the string of swears is incredibly disturbing, there should be no problem. Members should be free to express themselves in any way they want to.

Also @ Ion and Pav3d, you don't need to point any fingers.
Posted Image

#19 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 21:32

I wasnt pointing any fingers, Ion just put me on the spot.
I completely agree with Golan, this shouldnt turn into a nanny forum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 21:37

Vulgar language is just language. We see it all over the place, on TV, on the radio, on this forum. Why should it be taken out of signatures and avatars? Aren't those supposed to be personalized articles? And if the personality doesn't suit the forum, shouldn't the user be banned? Granted, these forums are made for a wide range of ages, but that doesn't change the fact that the community has never seen a problem with this before.

So to anybody who thinks such restrictions should be placed:

Fuck Off.

-Rorschach

#21 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 28 April 2009 - 21:44

View PostRorschach, on 28 Apr 2009, 17:37, said:

Vulgar language is just language. We see it all over the place, on TV, on the radio, on this forum. Why should it be taken out of signatures and avatars? Aren't those supposed to be personalized articles? And if the personality doesn't suit the forum, shouldn't the user be banned? Granted, these forums are made for a wide range of ages, but that doesn't change the fact that the community has never seen a problem with this before.

So to anybody who thinks such restrictions should be placed:

Fuck Off.

-Rorschach

Crude but effective
Posted Image

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 21:51

While it would be at least imo better if people only swore when they really needed to emphasise a point, perhaps only seen once or twice a day. It will never happen.

Nice suggestion, unenforcable.

#23 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 21:59

We have discussed it and come to the conclusion that while we appreciate that there are members of the forum that would rather we take more time to review offensive language, as Dauth has already said, this is a good idea but nigh on unenforceable.

That is our official position.

Edited by Wizard, 28 April 2009 - 22:00.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users