EU Levies $1.45 Billion Fine on Intel

12 replies to this topic

#1 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 13 May 2009 - 13:00

European Union regulators hit Intel Corp. with a €1.06 billion ($1.45 billion) fine -- the largest ever assessed for monopoly abuse -- and called for changes in the way the U.S. company sells the microprocessors at the heart of most of the world's personal computers.
Intel said it would appeal the fine, but Wednesday's decision confirmed the EU's role as jurisdiction of choice for U.S. tech companies seeking redress from larger competitors, even as the new U.S. administration says it plans to get tougher in pursuing monopoly practices.

The European Commission, the EU's executive arm, said Intel broke EU rules by using the threat of withdrawing rebates it offered to large computer manufacturers, its customers, to pressure to them to buy all or most of their chips from Intel rather than rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

Intel also paid manufacturers to delay the launch of AMD-based computers and paid a retailer, Media Saturn Holding, to sell only Intel-based machines, the EU said. Media Saturn operates the Media Markt chain in Germany.
"Intel has harmed millions of European consumers by deliberately acting to keep competitors out of the market for computer chips for many years," said Neelie Kroes, the EU's top antitrust regulator. "If we smell that there is something rotten in the state, we act."
Besides the fine, which amounts to almost a fifth of the $7.79 billion in cash on the company's balance sheet, Intel was ordered not to offer the conditional rebates that the Commission deemed problematic. But the regulator left vague how it would police that order.

The Santa Clara, Calif., company had revenue of $37.6 billion in 2008.
The Intel decision in Europe comes as U.S. regulators jettison Bush-era legal guidance that led to narrow scrutiny of monopolists. In a speech Monday, Department of Justice antitrust chief Christine Varney said regulators "cannot sit on the sidelines any longer." That could mean greater convergence with European regulators, who have been more willing to bring antimonopoly actions, including a marathon case against Microsoft Corp. Ms. Varney knows the field well: She represented browser-maker Netscape in the U.S. antitrust prosecution of Microsoft in the 1990s.
More Info Here

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 13 May 2009 - 13:05

Sooo what are they going to do with all that cash?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 13 May 2009 - 15:03

Goes into the EU budget so now EU nations have to pay less money for this fiscal year. Same concept as when you are fined for breaking traffic laws.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#4 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 13 May 2009 - 16:53

The fact is Intel can't eliminate AMD as they own the rights to the x86-64 architecture which Intel uses for its own processors these days. At the same time, Intel created the original x86 instruction set and holds AMD's license for it. So there is a sort of MAD situation for both companies should one take action against the other. We'll see what develops from this.
Posted Image

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 16:54

The first to get 128 bit architecture gets the advantage in a decades time then. Or intel makes its own chips.

#6 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 16:58

There will be no need for 128 bit architecture in the near future. The 64-bit architecture means that the limit on Virtual Address space is nearly 16 Exabytes : :P We're just barely reaching terabytes in our hard drives let alone computer memory. A brand new instruction set could change this though. I don't know if AMD will create a new set for their Fusion products.
Posted Image

#7 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:54

all i can say is that Intel got owned take that money grubbing corporation

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#8 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 10 June 2009 - 21:53

EU > Intel. let it be known 1.45 billion units of ownage. hopefuly US follows suit
Attached Image

#9 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:16

Most of you are probably using Intel products in your PC right now, you know :P

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#10 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:11

Evil corporation! How DARE you try to make money! :P
Posted Image

#11 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:41

View PostRaiDK, on 10 Jun 2009, 21:16, said:

Most of you are probably using Intel products in your PC right now, you know :P

What about AMD? I saved a heap of cash by getting a dragon platform PC now. That said my notebook is Intel based and so is my previous desktop which I handed dowd to my brother as well as the '01 PC which I will likely convert to a server.
Posted Image

#12 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:31

Anti-trust laws are immoral.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#13 Shirou

Humble darkspawn