DoW DC Tips and Tricks

33 replies to this topic

#26 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:53

I'd have just used rockets, don't Broadsides count as vehicles anyway?

I wouldn't call Tau OP. I've never had a problem playing against them. In fact in a 2v2 compstomp with Dauth yesterday afternoon, I'd finished off the fishies and Dauth hadn't even reached T3 (although he's very much out of practise atm). I always have one squad with rockets, no matter who I face, unless I know they aren't going to get to tech. Comes from playing FoK a lot more than vDC, as that employs harder counters.

#27 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:54

Any tips for a rather new Necron player?
My tactics are mostly build 3 extra builders, 2 Warrior squads, and then the Lord. After that, I build 3-4 more Warriors and 2-3 Immortals against vehicles. Then tech up, and prepare the Monolith for battle. For the Lord I choose the improved health and healing rate Orb (I dunno the real name), the Resurrection Orb, and then either the Shroud or the Terror Orb.
Posted Image

#28 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:00

I would never, normally, have more than 2 builder units. But make sure you reinforce each squad to full strength (x3). Alias is your best bet for understanding 'Crons as he is the most experienced player iirc.

Shame Gamereplays.org managed to wipe their DC section, I found some good info there, once upon a time.

#29 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:07

I understood that Alias had about 4-5 builder units. Also, don't remember that they are free for the Necron.
Posted Image

#30 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:20

My Necron build normally goes as follows.

Monolith cue 3 Scarabs, Lord, 1 Scarab, 2 Warriors.
The starter Scarab cues 3 Generators, reinforces (as soon as you click on your Scarabs, press R twice to reinforce).
The first Scarab out of the Monolith generally goes and caps the nearest Strategic point.
The second Scarab, depends on the map. Larger maps go for one of the Generators that needs building, smaller maps cap another point. Remember to reinforce as always.
The third Scarab goes the alternate of what the second one does (i.e. if the second one went building, go cap). Again, reinforce.
As soon as the Lord comes out start to move him towards the enemy. Harass strategic points that the enemy is capping.
By now, your original three generators should already be build. Cue more of them again, and make sure all points you capture have Obelisks on them otherwise you gain no benefit.
Around the time your second set of Warriors come out, you should have around 80% for the build bonus and at least five or so generators. Grab a Summoning Core now with one of the Scarabs that used to be capping. The two Scarabs that originally were building generators should still be building more.

This is merely just the first 3 or 4 minutes, which is the most essential part of the game (in PvP at least). The next couple of games I play against people here I'll save the replays to give you a better idea of how I play. While Necrons seem shallow and hollow compared to the other factions, they are actually extremely flexible.

Posted Image

#31 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:27

I forgot that Scarabs where the capping units, my bad there. I never play with em.

Dug this link out from the Relic forums

http://forums.relicn...ad.php?t=115607

Edited by Wizard, 19 July 2010 - 12:11.

#32 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 16:19

View PostWizard, on 19 Jul 2010, 2:53, said:

I'd have just used rockets, don't Broadsides count as vehicles anyway?

I wouldn't call Tau OP. I've never had a problem playing against them. In fact in a 2v2 compstomp with Dauth yesterday afternoon, I'd finished off the fishies and Dauth hadn't even reached T3 (although he's very much out of practise atm). I always have one squad with rockets, no matter who I face, unless I know they aren't going to get to tech. Comes from playing FoK a lot more than vDC, as that employs harder counters.

I thought so too, when I faced them initially, but they're Heavy Infantry. Just large and really tough Heavy Infantry.

I dunno, but I heard people complaining (not here I don;t think) that the Tau were imba. Maybe it was just from some people who didn't know how to counter them well. I don't know.

-----

As for Necrons, I'd go with Alias. I suck with 'crons. I'd personally recommend Destroyers as well. Not too sure of the Lord Destroyer,but the two regulars are quick and nasty. They're primarily ranged, but their melee attacks are IIRC not that bad.

Edited by Areze, 19 July 2010 - 16:19.

Writing Thread

#33 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 19 July 2010 - 19:59

When you can get Pariahs do get them. Their melee reduces target armor. Very useful.
Posted Image

#34 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 19:16

I'd like to add this: Stealthsuits, with Fusion Blasters, are a fantastic anti-vehicle unit. Better than Ork TankBustaz in my opinion, as they have the jump pack ability, high accuracy (at least I'm pretty sure they do), and an EMP Grenade ability that emasculates units like the Eldar Wraithlord and Space Marine Dreadnought. They are not very durable, obviously, but if they are susceptible to attack, and can't jump out of danger, you kinda screwed up. These guys + Vespid Stingwings = Base wrecking extravaganza! They're pretty much a requirement, as it happens, as me &Alias lost a game because I forgot about them and the Wraithlords ate my boys alive. Alias was doing well,but then I got owned and they overwhelmed him.

A good counter for them would be Guardian Squads to detect the buggers, and Dark Reapers to mow them down (or Howling Banshees). Marines have skull probes and Sniper Scouts, which would probably be the best IMO

(Also, no lag spike son my mom's rig. Woot woot! 8| )

EDIT: Typo busting.

Edited by Areze, 23 July 2010 - 19:17.

Writing Thread

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users