Why do people stay on Fallout Studios?

54 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:14

I realize that there's already been a topic made regarding what brings people here initially, but if you're like me, the reason for coming here and the reason for STAYING are quite different. I was merely curious as to what makes you, forum members, come back here day after day. |8

To start, I was attracted here last year by the awesome quality of Shockwave, and yet I never would've remained if it hadn't been for all the discussion, the laughs, and the craziness that other members bring. Hell, I even get my daily news here now (not sure if that's good or not). :pnd:

Edited by Ghostrider, 05 June 2009 - 23:14.

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#2 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:17

Just to generally keep up to date with stuff going on in the ZH world and the funny images and videos. And also on the latest in memes :pnd: and internal goings on in CORE. I also get alot of info on new games here too.

Tho the fact that I can tell that 50% of the topics that come up when I hit new reply are meaningless spam really puts me off...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:18

To be honest not a fucking clue.

There is still the occasional topic I reply to, and the game days are great, as are some of the people I know. However I could still do the game days and stay in touch with my friends without being on the forums, yet I don't. I've thought about leaving a few times though. I mean I despise alot of members and almost 95% of the stuff that gets posted here is complete rubbish. Thats just my opinion, though arguably some could be labelled "Idiot" and it would also be a fact.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 05 June 2009 - 23:23.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:19

I like a load of people was attracted by SHW. I then got into a couple of smaller projects, early in the MG and then Full Throttle before joining CCU. I was then made staff and from that point on FS has been a big part of my life. I have made very good friends both in the membership and the moderating team.

I find myself looking forward to the game days with you lot and SHW seems a very long time ago now. Its all about the members and the community even if it doesn;t always seem apparent to everyone.

#5 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:19

Initially, it was always about ShW - hell I went along with JB and Scope in that I barely left the Suggestions subforum. Once I got out of that, however, it was always about the community, and what it offerred to me, shunting the mods back into second place. While I work on a variety of mods, the community still takes preference, having come to know and enjoy talking to many people, and seeing the general craziness that makes this such a nice change from RL for the most part. To round off - the community has me firmly entrenched here, and it would need a wrench to split us up. It's the people that make this such a great, enjoyable, and lasting internet space.
For there can be no death without life.

#6 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:20

The thing that kept me going is knowing that it's not just the idea of us admins providing stuff for the members. The community does things for itself, like organise competitions, gaming events and matches. The mods are nice as initial attraction, but Fallout Studios is far more than just a mod hosting center to me. I'd say the spirit of Fallout Studios lies in its ability to keep itself going because people want to. People show initiative in making FS fun for everyone else, and that I think is its strongest point.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#7 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:30

This is th sort of topic people should come back to every few months or so. For that reason I'm going to pin it.

I'd like to echo Code, I love the fact it was you guys that set up the game days and its you keeping them running for us.

#8 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:30

It cannot be explained in words, perhaps. Just the lively people, the occasional spam that leaks out of SYD, the memes, people like RaptorPapaya, Bob and such.

...but I don't think I'd be here if not for my boredom and curiosity of installing Gens on my TFD, then ZH, getting somewhat addicted to it, then trying out ShockWave (I've heard and read of ShW even before I played Gens-ZH, and naturally I identified ShW as my primary mod for ZH. I stuck to the ShW forum for a bit, and then I infected set up shop in SYD-SS. I was stuck to the modding and SYD forums, until I familiarized myself with all the different parts of the forum. In short...yea, the people here...I guess :cool:

...and the smilies.
Posted Image

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:35

I stay because it's something to kill time with.

Posted Image

#10 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 05 June 2009 - 23:35

View PostDauth, on 6 Jun 2009, 0:30, said:

This is th sort of topic people should come back to every few months or so. For that reason I'm going to pin it.

I'd like to echo Code, I love the fact it was you guys that set up the game days and its you keeping them running for us.

Not like running a game day takes much effort, but I appreciate your comments. I also need to apologise for not setting up this weeks. For a start I should have at least said I was going to be unavailable.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:46

For the Generals modding help, RotR and the fun there is here :cool:
Posted Image

#12 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:15

For me, it used to be the mods but recently its been more about the community and the resources provided. I've found many links/tutorials on here which have helped me and my team improve my mod and the resources are very much what keep me here. After the instant appeal of Shockwave died down and after GenX moved, the appeal of the community overshadowed the appeal of the mods.

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 06 June 2009 - 13:41

That's an easy question. The community here is the best one I have encountered so far on the net.

#14 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 14:29

View PostIon Cannon!, on 6 Jun 2009, 1:18, said:

To be honest not a fucking clue.

There is still the occasional topic I reply to, and the game days are great, as are some of the people I know. However I could still do the game days and stay in touch with my friends without being on the forums, yet I don't. I've thought about leaving a few times though. I mean I despise alot of members and almost 95% of the stuff that gets posted here is complete rubbish. Thats just my opinion, though arguably some could be labelled "Idiot" and it would also be a fact.

What is my answer doing in your mind ? :cool:

#15 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 06 June 2009 - 15:15

You know, I don't know why I always come here.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#16 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 15:19

Originally, and like a lot of members here, I joined this forum because of Shockwave. Then I was made Staff, which constituted a large part of my time spent here. After I was let go from Staff, the only thing that has really kept me here in any sort of capacity has been my poetry thread. The occasional thread peaks my interest every now and then, but mostly I chose just to glance over things here and don't sign in for days. This place just isn't like it used to be...
Posted Image

#17 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 15:29

View PostAlias, on 5 Jun 2009, 23:35, said:

I stay because it's something to kill time with.

More or less
Posted Image

#18 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 16:35

i initially signed in to make a SHW suggestion :cool:

and then... it happened. i stuck.

now i mainly lurk about the forum looking for interesting conversations and topics.

i find it a good pass-time.
it's time to wake up

#19 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 06 June 2009 - 19:41

it has great mods, and unlike WNx there arent 10000000 People so your voice is actually heard, but there arent 10 people so u can have different ideas and what not
Attached Image

#20 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 19:58

For me, I'm just hang in around here. Mostly, spending post SYD and more post for other topics. :cool:

#21 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 22:47

You basically took the words out of my mouth Ion.

Edit: But I'll stay now that SWR is gone and I've got more to aspire to. :cool:

Screw it, I'm going to Mystique.

Edited by Høbbsey, 07 June 2009 - 20:52.

#22 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 22:50

For kicks, giggles, and one hell of a community!
You almost did, didn't you?

#23 Star Dragon

• 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 22:50

To be honest, I think it was Shockwave that peaked my interest. It had almost become an obsession to figure out why it would not install or run correctly on my system (there are a handful of various mods or even 3d tools that do this to me despite the fact they work for 99% of the world) before I die.

It would be nice to play it just once...

I had only ever gotten one ZH mod to work on my system, the original Xenoforce Mod.

This is actually the second CC forum I joined. The first being Sleipnir's, however, the misunderstanding clarified in my intro thread post affected my desire to participate in the CC communities for a while and it was some time before I officially joined here instead of just lurked.

So why stay? Cause every season has a turn and mine now is to have CCTW3 be a part of my online participation.

G'kar (in B5 I think) said it best: "Humans are unique as they build bridges between communities" and that's exactly what I've done over the last 7 or so years, build bridges between various communities by participation. Here should be no different, and hopeful as fruitful both ways. :cool:

[Trivia]: a 40k Imperium Leader accuses me of "continuously using overly dramatic speech".
Sod him, least I don't go all exterminus on every Xeno I meet!
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a wide target selection!" - Brig Gen Star Dragon...

Posted Image

#24 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 06 June 2009 - 23:08

I stay because the community here is quite meaningful to me. Much better experience than any social networking sites. Plus I have a duty to serve that community which served me for the past three years.
Posted Image

#25 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 23:10

Memories of better times... :cool:
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users