SWR leaves Fallout Studios

71 replies to this topic

#51 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:20

Seems to me that the only group of people that will benefit from this move are the SWR high command - they've gained more power over the forum that the mod is hosted on. I fail to see how the proposed changes would have affected the mod development in any way, so to say that the SWR's goals ("to produce high quality mods", unless I'm mistaken) are no longer attainable seems odd.

#52 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:29

I agree with the 2 posters above me.
The sheer lack of updates from Shockwave caused me to rapidly lose interest. That and the only interesting part of their forum was locked.
I also agree with what Rich19 says..

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:38

SWR leaving probably won't affect existing members (except die-hard fans, you know who they are), but it will surely be one less reason for new members to register.

#54 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:44

View PostJJ, on 7 Jun 2009, 13:38, said:

SWR leaving probably won't affect existing members (except die-hard fans, you know who they are), but it will surely be one less reason for new members to register.

Then we'll just have to come up with better reasons! ;)
For there can be no death without life.

#55 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:45

If you join, you get to pet the moderators.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#56 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:45

View PostIon Cannon!, on 7 Jun 2009, 1:55, said:

The community ceased to be based around shw for a while now. Sure it still drew alot in but for most of the more active members the community was the sole reason. Shw is a great mod, but there is only so much you can do with an engine. This is one of the reasons there are really not many mods for ZH anymore the engine is past it, its time to move on and stop flogging a dead horse. *Waits for angry posts from people proclaiming shw is the best thing ever*

I have to disagree with you here. Relatively speaking Zero Hour is not a dead horse, it's still the best horse of the stable because EA is apparently uncapable of topping this aged stallion with a new colt, as all of those aren't worth a donkey's ass when it comes to modding.

I bet that when CnC3 and RA3 reach the age of Zero Hour, they will be dead and buried, while the current Zero Hour community is still more alive than the average game.
Posted Image

#57 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:46

View PostCodeCat, on 7 Jun 2009, 22:45, said:

If you join, you get pet moderators.

Fix'd.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#58 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 07 June 2009 - 13:19

View PostShock, on 7 Jun 2009, 8:45, said:

The community ceased to be based around shw for a while now. Sure it still drew alot in but for most of the more active members the community was the sole reason. Shw is a great mod, but there is only so much you can do with an engine. This is one of the reasons there are really not many mods for ZH anymore the engine is past it, its time to move on and stop flogging a dead horse. *Waits for angry posts from people proclaiming shw is the best thing ever*

I have to disagree with you here. Relatively speaking Zero Hour is not a dead horse, it's still the best horse of the stable because EA is apparently uncapable of topping this aged stallion with a new colt, as all of those aren't worth a donkey's ass when it comes to modding.

I bet that when CnC3 and RA3 reach the age of Zero Hour, they will be dead and buried, while the current Zero Hour community is still more alive than the average game.

Why should we be limited to C&C? I agree that ZH is more alive than perhaps C&C3 and RA3 but why not broaden our borders?
Posted Image

#59 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 07 June 2009 - 14:48

*double checks calendar to see if it was STILL actually April*

Well this is unexpected ...

... I actually lived long enough to see Fallout Studios "die" O: (joking off course)

I don't really feel anything wrong about SWR moving, they couldn't get what they wanted so they made their own place. (which is basically the story of mystique studios ;))

Although, one has to wonder, what happens now?

#60 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 07 June 2009 - 14:55

View PostZeke, on 7 Jun 2009, 10:48, said:

*double checks calendar to see if it was STILL actually April*

Well this is unexpected ...

... I actually lived long enough to see Fallout Studios "die" O: (joking off course)

I don't really feel anything wrong about SWR moving, they couldn't get what they wanted so they made their own place. (which is basically the story of mystique studios ;))

Although, one has to wonder, what happens now?

Wait and see.
Posted Image

#61 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 07 June 2009 - 16:22

this place has some of its own things but we cannot underestimate how important SWR is to this place. but eversince TF2 and L4d and wiki and other things this place seemed to be bracing for the loss of SWR. hopefully it will hold up...
Attached Image

#62 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 07 June 2009 - 17:52

View PostShock, on 7 Jun 2009, 13:45, said:

Define an average game. CnC3 had awful modding support, RA3 may be better but that will take time before a modding community emerges. ZH was so mod friendly because it was so easy to mod. Really anyone could learn one section of cnc modding, many have leant several and some can do everything. As it is ZH is the best horse of the stable, but the stable is rotting and has developed a severe case of damp.

There are better games, better engines and games with a whole lot more support than ZH.

ZH modding has had its run but its time to move on. I mean no offense to any mod teams here, I used to run a mod myself. But with ZH eventually all the mods just seemed the same. As an extra kick in the grave the ZH sage engine is fucking awful if you compare it to what is available today.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 07 June 2009 - 18:29

I agree and disagree with what you said, Ion, ZH in my opinion still one of the most easy and modding n00b-friends game.
RA3 and C&C3 are really better games, but they need special programs to mod. You can't use a free 3d modelling tool with RA3 or C&C3, what in ZH is possible with Gmax.

In my opinion, ZH will live for much time, because of the quantity and variety of mods out there. Not all mods are just the same. 2 peoples can have the same thoughts about a common thing.

Well, really i coundn't see any reason for SWR productions (what i really admire) move for a new "home".

BTW i wish you guys good luck, that's why i'm already registered on your foruns.

Peace to everyone.

-Gen.Kenobi out
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#64 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 18:33

CNC3 doesn't have poor modding support (ESPECIALLY not when compared to gens, which had NONE), most people simply were too lazy to give it a proper try. So without a userbase large enough to sustain itself, the outcome was inevitable.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#65 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 07 June 2009 - 19:06

Bye, sorry to see you go.

Shit happens and we eventually move on, so no big deal I guess ;).
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#66 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 20:06

View PostIon Cannon!, on 7 Jun 2009, 19:52, said:

There are better games, better engines and games with a whole lot more support than ZH.

Only on moddability most if not all of those games fall short to ZH..
Posted Image

#67 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 20:16

I'm really having the urge to quote a comment one of my teachers made about "mental incest" when reading this glorification of ZH's modding capabilities...
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#68 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 07 June 2009 - 20:20

View PostGolan, on 7 Jun 2009, 21:16, said:

I'm really having the urge to quote a comment one of my teachers made about "mental incest" when reading this glorification of ZH's modding capabilities...

DO IT.

#69 cccdfern

Professional

• 318 posts
  • Projects: FoxMod

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:39

another forum to make an id on, great....
To listen and learn, or contribute and teach.

#70 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:17

View PostGolan, on 7 Jun 2009, 22:16, said:

I'm really having to quote a comment one of my friends once made about ''criticism, where fans are the greatest critics of their 'favoured' game''.

All the Zero Hour bashing here, it's disgusting.

I'm merely wondering why we're still at it, when there are obviously so many better games out there.

Edited by Shock, 08 June 2009 - 09:19.

Posted Image

#71 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:18

View PostShock, on 8 Jun 2009, 10:17, said:

View PostGolan, on 7 Jun 2009, 22:16, said:

I'm really having to quote a comment one of my friends once made about ''criticism, where fans are the greatest critics of their 'favoured' game''.

All the Zero Hour bashing here, it's disgusting.

I'm merely wondering why we're still at it, when there are obviously so many better games out there.

Its not my favorite game, hasn't been for a long time. The reason people still mod ZH? Its so damn easy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#72 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 14:58

Looks like I'm late to the party. :rolleyes:

I can pretty much only reiterate what has already been said. It is sad to see SWR leave the community, like many other Shockwave was the reason I joined this forum. Alas, times change, and things move on. I wish SWR and their new the community the best of luck. To everyone else, I hope you will stick around, we have quite a few plans that we will be unveiling in the near future. :cool:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users