Hosted projects reorganised

33 replies to this topic

#1 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 19:33

Since the hosted projects had always been ordered completely randomly, we decided to add a little more sense to things. So from now on, all hosted projects will be ordered alphabetically. The various categories for different games were also merged into one, to reduce the amount of space wasted on category headers. We hope you all appreciate the change.

However, there is still one question I'd like to ask the project leaders in particular. Several projects have prefixes such as 'C&C' or 'Command & Conquer' attached to them. These create a bit of a problem for ordering, since most people would not be looking for 'Situation Zero' under C, for example. The question is therefore whether we should ignore the prefixes in this case, and order them by the title they are best known as.

A secondary request is also whether we are allowed to remove those prefixes from the forum names. This would fix the ambiguity entirely, but we need those projects' leaders to approve such a change. So if the leaders of these projects could respond with either approval or rejection, we'd be glad.

C&C Crazy Mod -> Crazy Mod
C&C Generals: Situation Zero -> Situation Zero
Command & Conquer Generals: Code 13 -> Code 13
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#2 Nodlied

Casual

• 50 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 19:53

I don't think it looks bad. I just think it will take some time to get used to.
Posted Image

Some people claim that they have seen the light at the end of the tunnel. I say it is the headlight of an upcomming train.

#3 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 19:54

Nice little change guys - simple yet effective. And from a personal viewpoint, I'd much rather that the C&C/Command & Conquer were dropped from the start of each game.... we're already on a modding forum for C&C, so it's kind of a given.
For there can be no death without life.

#4 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:15

I agree with Aj.
I think its pretty obvious given the little sign shows which game the mod is for. It puts all mods on an even playing field.
There is also the "blurb" for each mod which could say which game the mod is for...

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:21

View PostAJ, on 8 Jun 2009, 21:54, said:

we're already on a modding forum for C&C, so it's kind of a given.

Not true at all. If you remember we had a DoW project a while ago. We're open to all games and mods.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#6 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:26

All the mods have Zero Hour or C&C Generals in the description, i think it would be fine removing the C&C from the title.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:30

View PostCodeCat, on 8 Jun 2009, 21:21, said:

View PostAJ, on 8 Jun 2009, 21:54, said:

we're already on a modding forum for C&C, so it's kind of a given.

Not true at all. If you remember we had a DoW project a while ago. We're open to all games and mods.

*Re-phrases*
We're on a forum known for C&C modding, at least for the present. People will expect to see C&C for the most part, and as was pointed out above, we have the C&C symbols beside them as well. There is more than enough info than is required to show which is C&C, which is not, etc.
For there can be no death without life.

#8 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:41

Nice little change, simple and effective. And like most people, I would prefer if the C&C part was removed, and only the actual project name was used.
You almost did, didn't you?

#9 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 08 June 2009 - 21:10

Sounds like a good change, everyone is on a more even footing now. Another idea might be to organise them by the time of last news update, although that might take a lot of micromanagement. Just might be a little fairer to mods with names lower down the alphabet.

#10 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 21:12

Moving them around is done manually, so moving them every time someone posts news is a bit much to keep our toes on. :)
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 08 June 2009 - 21:56

Sounds like a useful change to me. Also I agree with dropping the C&C bit from mod names as those in the C&C section should be a given.
Posted Image

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 21:58

I appreciate your opinions on the prefix thing, but we can't really go ahead with it until the leaders of those projects say it's ok.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 08 June 2009 - 22:34

nice, couldnt hurt
Attached Image

#14 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 08 June 2009 - 23:44

The forums looks better now, and I agree on the fact that the C&C prefixes should be removed, hope that the mod leaders will agree on that :)

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#15 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:46

Thing is, the C&C is part of the mod name, though I myself wouldn't mind. (Second last place here we go!)

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:09

The prefix should remain, but it shouldn't be counted when sorting alphabetically.

Posted Image

#17 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:18

View PostAlias, on 9 Jun 2009, 12:09, said:

The prefix should remain, but it shouldn't be counted when sorting alphabetically.

Why didn't I thought of that? :o

I support Alias' idea.

#18 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:38

That'd definately be a good way to do it.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#19 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:10

One other thing, if you're going to keep the SWR projects forums out there but locked (just for the information that's in it, I guess), it may be better to move them all to the bottom of the page. Projects active on FS will benefit, and it will look more tidy instead of having four locked forums in between them all.
Posted Image

#20 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:23

They'll be removed shortly.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:08

That's a wise decision to do that. :)
But I hope they are not deleted, because some of the topics there are quite entertaining, especially the suggestions. ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:11

View PostPapaya Master Rai, on 9 Jun 2009, 7:08, said:

But I hope they are not deleted, because some of the topics there are quite entertaining, especially the suggestions. ;)

Deleted forums never completely disappear. They go to the archived forums bit. Only admins can see them then. And yes we will lose topics like the SWAT topic as well as Ghostrider's loma post.
Posted Image

#23 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:54

Not only will they remain in the deleted forums archive, a full backup of their content is possessed by the SWR management. As such you may or may not see them again at an indeterminate point in the future. Still, if it's lulz you're after in the meantime, you could always do a bit of fond reminiscing in here.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 13:08

View PostPapaya Master Rai, on 9 Jun 2009, 22:08, said:

SWR requested they be removed, so they will be.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#25 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 13:29

Wait I think I got confused with JB's post about they will remove it, but instead I thought "it" will be moved.
Well if that is about to happen to those forums, I might aswell enjoy them until they get removed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users