Thrawn's Revenge

8 replies to this topic

#1 Enceladus

Visitor

• 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 23:22

Forums: http://gutr.swrebell...orums/index.php
Moddb: http://www.moddb.com...thrawns-revenge

I thought some of you might be interested in this if you have ever played EAW/FOC.

Thrawn's Revenge is a large mod split into three major parts, two of which have an addition "expansion" release. These three releases are Empire of the Hand, Imperial Civil War and Fall of the Republic.

Features

Each release has a separate faction and unit set, though all share the same basic features and foundation. Each release also contains the planets featured in the previous releases, however that does not mean all will be reappearing in the next release's Galactic Conquest scenarios.

Some of the new major features in the mod are:

1. New planets, all with unique maps, as well as remaps of old planets.
Conquer new planets, such as Nirauan, Csilla, Yaga Minor and Commenor, all with new larger maps. All old planets have also been remapped to bring map size up to the mod's standard size. All planets have also been properly placed, to the best of our abilities and quality of sources.

2. Reformation of the ship building system. (Galactic Conquest, Space Skirmish)
The way you build ships has been changed in the mod, and now depends on various factors. The main change in this area is the addition of shipyards. Each faction has four shipyards: Frigate, Heavy Frigate, Capital, and Heavy Capital. The exception to this is the Rebel Alliance, which lacks the Heavy Capital shipyard. Every planet is able to build Frigate shipyards, as these build only the smaller ships, such as Lancer Frigates and Quasars. Heavy Frigate Shipyards are available at a more limited amount of planets that were known to be either major population, industrial or economic centers, as well as major planets to that faction such as Coruscant, Carida, Muunilist and Yavin IV (Rebel only). Capital shipyards are only buildable at planets that were known to have major production shipyards (Sullust, Mon Calamari, Fondor), and Heavy Capitals are only at the most major shipyard for that faction: Syca for the Empire of the Hand, Kuat for the Empire, Bilbringi for the Imperial Remnant, etc. Some factions will also only be able to build certain ships in certain places. For example, Mon Calamari Cruisers will be buildable only on Mon Calamari.

In skirmish, you will use the same system, only all ships will be buildable on every map.

Fighters are still built using Space Stations, and higher Starbase levels are required to build the larger shipyards.

3. Real-Time Base Building. (Space Skirmish)
In space skirmish, you now have buy each shipyard before you can make ships. Each faction has access to their Light Frigate, Heavy Frigate and Capital shipyards, and can build up to two at a time. they are all buildable from your Space station, and each type can also be built at any larger shipyard, or another shipyard of its type.

4. Choose your heroes.
Heroes are now built by the player at the most suitable planet for that hero. They may be able to turn the tide in battle, but be careful where you use them, because once they're gone they don't come back.

5. New visual effects.
Almost everything you see in the mod has been changed in some way, including projectiles, skydomes, explosions, the GUI, collision effects and death clones.

6. Audio.
Each new faction comes with its own set of battle, ambient and galactic music, as well as a new menu track for each release. Almost every unit also has its own new voice overs.

7. Weapon Retooling.
The weapon sets of all ships have been redone, and now include a larger amount of different weapon hardpoints. The new weapons icnlude dual and quad lasers and masers, heavy and light turbolasers and megamasers, new missile types for the Chiss and Empire of the Hand, as well as a few other general improvements.

And more.

Latest Update:

(Pics in thumbnails to save your interwebz.)

Anyone who's wondering whether or not they missed Parts one and two, you didn't. They were in 2007, I just wanted to use the title again. This is the first update since January of this year, which was the first update since September of 2008. Needless to say, there's been a fair bit going on that we haven't been talking about. Today also marks the third anniversary of the mod's commencement.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Left: Denon. Right: Ciutric. Both mapped by Corey.

The first and probably most important thing is the events within the team of the last five or six months. Basically, what happened was around February and March, elements of the team disappeared or resigned, for various reasons. Between then and a few weeks ago, no progress was possible, so none was made. It's as simple as that. However, some people have returned and others have joined, so we can now get back to work. Like all things, the makeup of the team left from before is best summed up in a list. Beta Testers not included. The rest are mostly still MIA, and if they're reading this, they're asked to contact me.

-Corey,
-Enceladus,
-Daft_Vader,
-Wesker,
-Ahdanack.

We'd also like to welcome three new people to the team; Med8r, as a mapper, Tony as a rigger and Dre as a voice actor.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Left: Felucia. Right: Ukio. Both mapped by Enceladus

One thing that was going to be explained in the update that was never posted is how tech levels will work in Imperial Civil War. Instead of the system used in the regular game, where you buy the next level in the form of part of the Death Star, or by stealing tech as the Rebels, the tech levels are done by who leads the Empire. Tech One is Isard, Two is Thrawn, Three is the Reborn Emperor, Four is Daala, and finally, Pellaeon for Tech Five. What this means is that to tech up as either faction, the current leader of the Empire must be killed. For example, if you're playing as the New Republic, and the game has just started, in order to advance to Tech 2, you have to kill Isard or hope that somebody else does it for you. We've been asked a few times if this means that to get better ships as the empire, you have to get your leader killed. The answer to that is a simple no. Instead of starting the game with the worst ships, and then as you tech up getting better and better ships, you have access to the kinds of ships that were built and used under that leader. For example, Pellaeon would have access to cloaking Star Destroyers, but the Reborn Emperor at Tech Three is the only one that has access to Sovereigns and Allegiances. If you did really want to get your current leader killed because you liked the next set better though, nobody is going to stop you. In skirmish the tech levels work as they always have, with better ships at higher Starbase/Shipyard levels, regardless of when they were used. A full unit list, including when the units are available, can be found on our forums, and will soon be on the main site as well, which I intend to do a full update of over the next week or two. Note also that units used as examples aren't set in stone, and are subject to change.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Left: Ord Mantell, mapped by Enceladus. Right: XR-85 Tank Droid.

Finally, we are in need of a skinner to really get back to work. Anybody who wishes to apply for this position, email Arbiter at ThrawnsRevenge@gmail.com or post on our forums.

That's all for now, next update will be in one or two weeks,
-The Thrawn's Revenge Team

Sample of other stuff:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Enceladus, 23 June 2009 - 04:35.

Posted Image
~EAWFiles Site Overseer~

#2 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 10 June 2009 - 00:44

Well I stopped playing EAW a long time ago but this might make me dig out those CDs. Is this for FoC though? If so I'll need to get a copy of that.
Posted Image

#3 Enceladus

Visitor

• 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:59

Yeah, it's for Forces of Corruption.
Posted Image
~EAWFiles Site Overseer~

#4 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:55

It's always good to see this sort of progress on a mod, and it looks like you've been busy with the mapping all right, and to your usual excellent standard. I'm particularly liking the look of Ord Mantell and Denon. I'll certainly be giving TR a whirl when it comes out!

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 15:39

I've knew about this mod for a long time, but after getting a new comp, I never got the motivation to install my EaW or FoC again, but If I do in the future, I will most likley get this mod.
You almost did, didn't you?

#6 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 10 June 2009 - 15:49

Woo, very nice stuff there. I just watched Star Wars Episode II, and your work truly makes me think of the stuff in the movie. Great work. :o

#7 Enceladus

Visitor

• 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:32

New Update about Fall of the Republic v2 Mini-Mod. Blame arb for terible pcis of my map :P Link to forums, Moddb profile and website added to first post.

Many of you will remember, or have since downloaded, the Fall of the Republic Minimod we released back in 2007. Well, because we had so much FotR content more or less finished before our recent downtime, we decided that until we got a skinner, we would add and polish some more of the Fall of the Republic stuff and release a second version. So, being the prudent people we are that's what we did. As for when it's going to be released, the answer is soon. Probably within a week, almost definitely within two. We're finished, we just have to finish the testing and debugging.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Mustafar, Map by Enceladus

We've also got some good news regarding the mod overall. I've managed to re-establish contact with some more of the missing team members. Namely, Nezill and Frost. Nezill has already returned to the team and is hard at work. Frost will be able to return sporadically to help finish up the models that still remain.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The CIS units in the mini mod.

Anyways, here's what you can expect to find in the Fall of the Republic Minimod this time around:

Republic: (Added to Empire)
Jorus C'Baoth
Delta Squad
Windu/Eta
Clone Trooper P1
IFTX
ISP
Carrack
LAAT
ARC-170

CIS: (Added to Underworld)
Grievous
Magnaguard
Droideka
Battle Droid
Hailfire
Providence
Tri-Fighter

Maps:
Mustafar
Felucia

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The Republic units in the mini mod.

Please note also that some content has been changed from what it will appear as in the final, full version of Fall of the Republic (and in some cases Imperial Civil War) as it would be overpowered in vanilla FoC. We have included many things from FX as well, including things Codeuser has made since he handed over the reigns of FX to Filo, so it will look nice as well. There have also been some Imperial units and two heroes (Veers and Tarkin) removed, as with these additions, they would have had too many with the addition of Mace and Jorus. These units have only been removed from GC, however, so you can still find Veers in skirmish.

-The Thrawn's Revenge Team.
Posted Image
~EAWFiles Site Overseer~

#8 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 26 August 2010 - 16:09

It's been a long time since anybody has updated this thread, so I may as well link to all our past updates since then.

The FotR Minimod Release
July Update
The Imperial Remnant
The New Republic

*Period of being inactive*

Updates from this summer:
Leading to Release Part One: Content and Clarification
Leading to Release Part Two: Unit Lists
Leading to Release Part Three: Planet Lists
Release Reschedule

More images can be found on our ModDB

and our forums