The Fallout Studios Prize Fund

26 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 22:55

Fallout Studios Prize Fund

Is an allocation of money by the Fallout Leadership for the benefit and use of the community to provide an incentive to create, organize and take part in online multiplayer gaming competitions. Rather than providing, as traditional, a user or signature for the winner, competition organisors will now be able to request access to this fund in order to procure real life prizes for their participants. The motivation behind this initiative is to encourage gaming as a regular forum activity and to, potentially, attract a wider audience to join us.

The current fund will be able to supply a 1st place prize, in way of either a Steam gifted game or hard copy via Amazon or similar online retailer, and potentially 2nd and 3rd prizes in way of "certain" paraphernalia. However, the prize(s) of choice are for the competition creator to decide upon in conjunction with the FS admins.

We are prepared to support any PC game or modification competition as long it can be proven to have the active support of the community, but the competition format is ultimately your decision. 1v1, 2v2, round robin, league or another format, we will consider them all so long as you can divise an accurate and fair way to determine the winner we'll consider it.

We do have one golden rule, all competition participants must be members of Fallout Studios in order to qualify for a prize.

How to apply for the prize fund

If you'd like to start a competition then all you have to do is send a PM to one of the FS admins with the following information:

* The game or mod to be played
* The format of competitions, ie league, round robin etc & the rules
* Number of expected players
* Time frame, how long until the competition takes place
* The 1st prize you'd like to give to the winner
* Whether you wish to request 2nd & 3rd prizes

Once we have this information we'll consider the request and get back to you with our answer and if you're successful, confirmation of the size of your prize fund. After that it's all down to you to make the arrangements for the competition. Don't worry though, we'll take care of securing the prizes and arranging distribution to leave you to enjoy your gaming.

As far as we're concerned, once you have your prize fund confirmed, that is the matter finalized until after the competition, however, if we consider that the competition is not being dealt with in a professional and fair manner then we may to step in. But we consider this as an absolute extreme last resort and serious problems will have to occur before this happens.

Our prize fund is limited, so all requests will be dealt with on a first come first served basis. It may also be necessary to schedule your event so as not to exhaust the fund. When considering the size of the fund allocated to a competition, we will have to bear in mind the number of other accepted requests as well.

#2 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 28 June 2009 - 23:10

I'm interested to see how this will work :P
*pins*
Posted Image

#3 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 29 June 2009 - 00:34

I'd be more than happy to contribute to the "prize fund"... but I'm unaware of a safe manner to do this. Any ideas?
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 29 June 2009 - 00:37

Hence why I suggested a donate function :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 00:39

Ion Cannon!, on 29 Jun 2009, 1:37, said:

Hence why I suggested a donate function :P

Indeed, with our cohesiveness as a community atm, I reckon there would be almost no end to the number of people who would like to donate, even if it's only £5.
For there can be no death without life.

#6 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:24

Just a question:

Can the competitions be in a team?...i mean, in games such as CoD4, BF2, etc (maybe ZH): 2 teams of 4 people each vs another team with 4 people too.
Them the prize would be share betwen the team members equally.
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:26

Gen.Kenobi, on 29 Jun 2009, 2:24, said:

Just a question:

Can the competitions be in a team?...i mean, in games such as CoD4, BF2, etc (maybe ZH): 2 teams of 4 people each vs another team with 4 people too.

Tempted to say "Duh" but i'll just go with yes. Or a prize can be given to each member of the winning team.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:29

I know but tha would require more funds...more $$$$ money. Sometimes, for events in this magnitude are better individual competitions because they would cost less, that's why i asked.
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:46

Competitions will need to be approved by the admins and once that has happened prizes will be sorted out. Lack of money shouldn't come into it. This situation will be even better if the member donations is implemented.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:22

Gen.Kenobi, on 29 Jun 2009, 3:24, said:

Just a question:

Yes indeed they can - in fact, I'd happily help set up, organise and monitor L4D and CoD 4 competitions myself :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:28

You can do team competitions, but we don't have a bottomless pot of money so prizes will be less extravagant for team events. Four copies of L4D would cost over £100.

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:49

Either that or you'll have to just delay the competition until said funds are available. We don't want to stop any team games (as they're likely to be more popular than 1v1's) but people will either have to lower the expectations of the prizes or accept a delay in the competition.

#13 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:32

Or just set the event to last over a greater period of time, so that while it's prizes may be a little larger, in turn you're getting far more than one night out of it - more along the lines of a league that lasts over a month.
For there can be no death without life.

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:25

To be quite honest it would be a far more worthwhile use of money to put it towards hosting and other physical costs and not towards 'prizes'.

Posted Image

#15 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:39

Alias, on 4 Jul 2009, 1:25, said:

To be quite honest it would be a far more worthwhile use of money to put it towards hosting and other physical costs and not towards 'prizes'.

To be quite honest, I don't see why we should just be another generic forum and do what everyone else does. This is one of the many things which makes us unique. Why do you always seem to criticize everything fallout studios does? This is variety and is good for the forum. So stop acting like you know what should and should not be done.

Edited by Brad, 04 July 2009 - 00:40.

You almost did, didn't you?

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:46

Brad, on 4 Jul 2009, 10:39, said:

Alias, on 4 Jul 2009, 1:25, said:

To be quite honest, I don't see why we should just be another generic forum and do what everyone else does. This is one of the many things which makes us unique. Why do you always seem to criticize everything fallout studios does? This is variety and is good for the forum. So stop acting like you know what should and should not be done.
Since when did I say we were? I'm just saying in relation to longevity of this community, server costs are far more important than 'prizes' for competitions. Since when did I say I 'know' exactly what should be done word for word? I'm merely stating my opinion on this matter: money used on 'prizes' could be put to far better use.
Not to mention, money donated for this 'prize fund' ultimately ends up in a few people's pockets: money used to help maintain the servers goes towards the community as a whole.

Edited by Alias, 04 July 2009 - 00:47.

Posted Image

#17 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:50

We already take care of the physical costs of FS. This has nothing to do with that.

#18 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:55

I know that you take care of the costs of hosting, but what if someone wants to help or contribute to the entire community, not just an eventual one or two people?

Posted Image

#19 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:55

As Wiz siad, the prize fund is the excess which Fs has.
So the prize does not make any difference to what happens at FS.

And I;m not sure, so don't quote me on this, but Ion suggested a donation feature, which would pay for most of the prize fund.
I'm sure most members here would spare £5

Edited by Brad, 04 July 2009 - 00:56.

You almost did, didn't you?

#20 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:58

Alias, on 4 Jul 2009, 1:55, said:

I know that you take care of the costs of hosting, but what if someone wants to help or contribute to the entire community, not just an eventual one or two people?

Then they can do so, not all money is going to be going into prize funds.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#21 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:00

By introducing these competitions it allows members to get invovled in the community. Like the gamedays these will be organised and run by normal members, or non-staff if you prefer. Sure the money will go to the winners of these competitions but the competitions will involve many forum members. This builds on the success of the gamedays. It also allows people who may not otherwise have been able to attend the gamedays to play. Although this depends on the competition and the date.

If you ask me I don't see how the money could have been better spent. And while it doesn't boost the entire community - As not all have the games - It affects a majority of the active members.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:07

The administrators agreed the donation amont some time ago. This value hasn't changed from the people who donate. The money goes to an account that has been used to pay for the server, the new url, the new game servers and other costs. The surplus is used to support the prizes and anything else we find necessary to buy. Donations increase the amount in the account which is then used to fund everything we do. If you have some blindingly good suggestions, please don't keep them too yourself. I will say one thing, we cannot afford a hosting server of our own, we don't have that much to spare in the case of donations drying up.

#23 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:34

Once the Shockwave update arrives, we could possibly use it to get a Hamachi premium membership for a huge, consolidated network. The Premium membership is quite cheap IIRC.
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:51

There is no difference between a 'premium' network and a regular user created network, it is just if you are a premium user, you can enter in any network regardless if the regular user limit is reached or not.

Posted Image

#25 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:09

Alias, on 5 Jul 2009, 0:51, said:

There is no difference between a 'premium' network and a regular user created network, it is just if you are a premium user, you can enter in any network regardless if the regular user limit is reached or not.

Hmm, on their website Hamachi says the user capacity for networks owned by a Commercial license holder (premium member) is 50 people. Whether or not all the people joining past 16 people (the regulation for non-commercial licenses) would have to have premium as well, I'm not sure.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users