Some Computer Issues

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 23:47

Issue #1: I need to back up all my computer data to an external hard drive, and I was wondering if you comp-savvy people had any recommendations for a program to do it. I checked out Norton Ghost (copies EVERYTHING to an external HD), but that costs like 70$. If I could do it for free, that'd be great.

Issue #2: Every time I try to delete anything off my desktop, I get an error message that says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", yet I can transfer the files to a flash drive and delete them there. After running all my spyware/malware software, CCleaner, Disk Defrag, etc. still nothing. Any ideas?

Issue #3: So I checked my hard drive today, and apparently I have 3 GB's of space left. That probably accounts for my comp running a lot slower lately... anything you guys do to save/make space? I use a laptop, so buying/installing a bigger HD might be a bit difficult.

Again, thanks a lot in advance. 8|

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 23:50

View PostGhostrider, on 6 Jul 2009, 0:47, said:

Issue #1: I need to back up all my computer data to an external hard drive, and I was wondering if you comp-savvy people had any recommendations for a program to do it. I checked out Norton Ghost (copies EVERYTHING to an external HD), but that costs like 70$. If I could do it for free, that'd be great.

Issue #2: Every time I try to delete anything off my desktop, I get an error message that says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", yet I can transfer the files to a flash drive and delete them there. After running all my spyware/malware software, CCleaner, Disk Defrag, etc. still nothing. Any ideas?

Issue #3: So I checked my hard drive today, and apparently I have 3 GB's of space left. That probably accounts for my comp running a lot slower lately... anything you guys do to save/make space? I use a laptop, so buying/installing a bigger HD might be a bit difficult.

Again, thanks a lot in advance. 8|

1) MS sync toy http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details...;displaylang=en this is free and epic

2) HiJackThis! log please? Sounds like a corrupt and old install that needs a wipe tbh

3) Delete old games, music, videos (yes those too). Kill ancient system restores.

#3 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 00:01

Cool beans, thanks a bunch Dauth. 8|

DL'ing MS sync toy... my HIJACKTHIS! log is attached.

Attached File(s)

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 00:06

Nothing overly malicious there, though if you don't use the bluetooth stuff then I suggest you remove all of the boot up crap for that. In addition you could remove all thee Dell bollox with impunity.

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

Can go too.

#5 Ghostrider

• Project Team
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 00:25

Dauth Help Desk saves the day again!

Anyone have an idea on the undeletable desktop thing?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:03

To answer qn3, look at qn1. Use the external HDD - my HDD atm backs up 300GB using TimeMachine, and has 200GB free for all sorts of crap that I need all over the place. And the drive cost me under £100. As for qn2, go and have a look at the Desktop folder properties in Documents + Settings/Andy (whatever your username is). It's possible you've ticked an option on it that is pissing around.
For there can be no death without life.

#7 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:00

2. I've heard there was a program that forces the selected file to be deleted regardless of problems. ( Don't know what its called but I was sure I saw it somewhere before) If not Google the problem.

3. Are you using Vista? If so go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > Files from all users on this computer > More Options Tab and find "System Restore and Shadow Copies" and press Clean up. Saved around 30GB by doing this.
Posted Image

#8 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:03

Your problem with the un-deleteable file could be solved by mcafee (which I see you have from ur hijack log). Mcafee has a shredder or sth that deletes anything iirc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users