Damn, they've learnt the art...they've figured out our wavelength D:
Posted Image

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:52

Cats use subliminal messaging? 8|

Tbh it doesn't sound particularly complicated - about as complicated as anything crying or screaming to get attention.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:27

This is CATS, All your base are belong to us!

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#5 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 14:33

I've always assumed that cats purr because they are content or happy. Apparently there's two types of purrs. The first kind being what I just mentioned, the other type is apparently to illicit some sort of response from the cat's owner, whether it is to feed the cat or to give it attention.
Posted Image

#6 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 14 July 2009 - 14:53

I always knew cats were evil. Just one more reason to get a dog instead.

http://www.imdb.com/...y/vi1321009433/
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 15:33

That was actually a fairly decent movie.
Posted Image

#8 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 15:33

All I can is... well duh 8|

The difference between when my cat purrs and and purrs because he wants food is pretty distinctive, and I'm sure it's the same for most cat ownerers... and they needed to do research to find this out >_>
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:27

View PostBob, on 14 Jul 2009, 17:33, said:

The difference between when my cat purrs and and purrs because he wants food is pretty distinctive, and I'm sure it's the same for most cat ownerers... and they needed to do research to find this out >_>

Did you actually read all of the article ? It says they create a sound vibration that makes you ' can't resist to their wish ', something like crying of your baby, you can't resist but give it the food or the attention it seeks :D

#10 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:35

All I can is... well duh :D

They need to fill doctorates in those areas too you know 8| .

View PostTurian, on 14 Jul 2009, 18:27, said:

All I can is... well duh |8

Did you actually read all of the article ? It says they create a sound vibration that makes you ' can't resist to their wish ', something like crying of your baby, you can't resist but give it the food or the attention it seeks |8
It's not as if the cat actually thinks about this. The only reason why cats do this is why babies whine and scream as well - just instinct. The more pathetic you sound, the more probable it is you will get your wish. Which is of course food, what else 8| .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:14

View PostTurian, on 14 Jul 2009, 17:27, said:

Did you actually read all of the article ? It says they create a sound vibration that makes you ' can't resist to their wish ', something like crying of your baby, you can't resist but give it the food or the attention it seeks :D

It's not the purring that makes me feed em, it's the fact that they'll be climbing up my trouser legs if I don't. Subliminal = fail, claws ftw in my house.

#12 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:23

View PostChyros, on 14 Jul 2009, 18:35, said:

All I can is... well duh :D

Did you actually read all of the article ? It says they create a sound vibration that makes you ' can't resist to their wish ', something like crying of your baby, you can't resist but give it the food or the attention it seeks |8
It's not as if the cat actually thinks about this. The only reason why cats do this is why babies whine and scream as well - just instinct. The more pathetic you sound, the more probable it is you will get your wish. Which is of course food, what else 8| .

-_- I bet most of you read a few sentence in that link I gave you, you didn't get what is the research is about, they create a ' special sound ' , not meow.

#13 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:43

View PostTurian, on 14 Jul 2009, 19:23, said:

It's not as if the cat actually thinks about this. The only reason why cats do this is why babies whine and scream as well - just instinct. The more pathetic you sound, the more probable it is you will get your wish. Which is of course food, what else |8 .

-_- I bet most of you read a few sentence in that link I gave you, you didn't get what is the research is about, they create a ' special sound ' , not meow.
No I did read the whole article, I just think it's too easy to exaggerate a cat's intelligence :D . The "special sound" is just a whine they mix in with purring - same thing as just whining really.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:47

On the topic of cats intelligence, my cat used to come into my room just as my alarm went off and not before because she didn't want to wake me up 8|
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#15 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 18:01

View PostChyros, on 14 Jul 2009, 18:43, said:

View PostTurian, on 14 Jul 2009, 19:23, said:

It's not as if the cat actually thinks about this. The only reason why cats do this is why babies whine and scream as well - just instinct. The more pathetic you sound, the more probable it is you will get your wish. Which is of course food, what else |8 .

No I did read the whole article, I just think it's too easy to exaggerate a cat's intelligence :D . The "special sound" is just a whine they mix in with purring - same thing as just whining really.

I read the whole thing, and like Chyros said, it is very much exaggerating. 1. This is just "natural" reaction for when they want food, they aren't consciously asking you for food, and 2. Just because they do it, doesn't mean they get the food. Our cat is already fat, if we fed him every time he wanted food, he wouldn't be able to fit through the door. |:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#16 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:05

man i don't believe that what so ever the only way a cat has gotten me to feed it was when it jumped onto my face with its bowl in it mouth when i was sleeping
i am more worried about what is being said in the link below, than if cats can manipulate us humans

http://www.catswhoth...ss.com/kill.php

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#17 Vaughan

Professional

• 390 posts
  • Projects: Resident Knicker.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 15:15

You damn slick kitties... All this time I just thought you were being cute. :(

~V.
Posted Image

-Tha' rewf iz awn fiyah-

#18 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 15:26

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 20 Jul 2009, 9:05, said:

man i don't believe that what so ever the only way a cat has gotten me to feed it was when it jumped onto my face with its bowl in it mouth when i was sleeping
i am more worried about what is being said in the link below, than if cats can manipulate us humans

http://www.catswhoth...ss.com/kill.php

Bringing you dead animals This isn't a gift. It's a warning.

I laughed at that hard :P

About topic again ; I really do believe they manipulate us with their cuteness somehow, sitting and meowing there and getting their food, they actually don't need a special sound for that, just staring like innocent will be enough, bad thing is, I think they do it ' intentionally ' :P

Edited by Turian, 21 July 2009 - 15:28.

#19 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 15:59

This made me think of Lovecraft's cats from Ulthar... :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users