AT&T blocks /b/

30 replies to this topic

#26 Su8perkillr

See the red light on your chest?

• 559 posts
  • Projects: Losing the game

Posted 03 August 2009 - 23:13

this is just weird i think why shut that server down ?
Posted Image

#27 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:59

/b/ works fine for me.

What's AT&T anyway?
Posted Image

#28 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:07

Think you've both misread the topic.

AT&T, one of the largest ISPs in the USA blocked /b/ to all their customers as its content violated their policies on content. However they very soon changed their minds when, possibly, they realised that their customers and probably a large chunk of the /b/ membership would go ape shit and bombard them for doing so.

This topic is supposed to be about the fact that an ISP has attempted to regulate content on the web, something that nearly every internet user is opposed to.

#29 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:09

All I have to say to this...

"China wirr grow rarger!"

Why ban /b/ anyway? Why don't they go ban KKK websites?
Posted Image

#30 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:43

Because most of us would probably have a much more pleasant experience browsing a KKK website than /b/.

... I'm actually not kidding there.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#31 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 04 August 2009 - 17:42

View PostRaiDK, on 4 Aug 2009, 8:43, said:

Because most of us would probably have a much more pleasant experience browsing a KKK website than /b/.

... I'm actually not kidding there.

That's a kinda cruel thing to say. To be fair, I don't care much for the place because I don't take it seriously. I use it every so often for a few laughs, and so do some of my friends. Yes, stupid, but stupid funny...sometimes.

ANYWAY, they SHOULD NOT block KKK websites. NEVER! NOTHING on the internet should EVER be blocked! Truth be told, the internet is the only place left in the world that the common man has freedom of speech, even in the real world we don't always have such a thing because we can't choose whether to be annonymous or not. Furthermore, blocking something that you don't "feel" is right is a complete sham.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, good and evil are SO objective that the ONLY dividing line is personal bias. Sure, you might think that the people in the KKK are just intolerant, racist hicks, therefore, they are "evil." On the other hand, they think that because YOU'RE not white and protestant you're an inferior bastard, and therefore, "evil." Both sides think they're good and the other evil.

Same concept applies for 4chan. 4chan DOES post some screwed up thing (such as one of my favorites, 4chan pizza) but people's opinions are their own. The job of an internet provider is to give you a connection-done. That is IT. Not even the government should get involved, unless, of course, its something serious like theft, murder, terrorist plans, OR pedophilia (the worst of all). NOBODY has a right to censor or block people's ideas and opinions, as it is an infringement upon what should be the single most important and universal of people's rights: free speech and its expression.

I understand that my argument can also be used to justify theft, terrorism, murder, and pedofilia, however, my hate against those is bias and I could never justify how they are "good" in an absolute manner. So, use your OWN judgement ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users