Game Server Feedback

28 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:16

Ok, we've had these running for a month now and it would be helpful if those that use them can let us know your thoughts. Without people giving us feedback then we can't improve or fix anything. I'd personally like to hear any thoughts you have, even if you don't use them or play TF2 or L4D. Remember these are here for you guys so please let us know what you're thinking.

#2 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:59

I'm completely happy with the TF2 server. That might have something to do with it being based in Amsterdam, but I haven't had any performance issues with it yet, even during games in which it was capped to it's maximum amount of players (12/12 or 24 players). It's perfect in my opinion, but other people living in countries further away might be able to offer more/better criticism.

My opinions on the L4D server are still the same as last time. These problems can't be solved due to the financially side of maintaining a pure-gaming server.
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#3 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 13:12

View PostAmdrial, on 31 Jul 2009, 13:59, said:

My opinions on the L4D server are still the same as last time. These problems can't be solved due to the financially side of maintaining a pure-gaming server.

Sorry mate I don't quite understand what you mean here, in short I'm confused.

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 31 July 2009 - 13:23

I've had no problems whatsoever with either server. Never had connection issues, and apart from once at the beginning, never had a lag spike. I get a constant ping of about 50, which is fine. This applies for both the L4D and the TF2 server.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 31 July 2009 - 13:43.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 13:39

lets see... I play on the TF2 server and mah ping is always 40 and the server rarely gets any lag spikes (which is extremely good) and even if it does get a spike it doesnt last more then a couple of seconds. Though server IMO needs to be a bit more populated (im talking about our part in this ofc) otherwise it will never be played on, by random players, regularely. On a side note: Wouldnt mind having some plugins turned on
Posted Image

#6 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 31 July 2009 - 14:38

TF2 server is perfect, no lag at all. I even get better ping then on other servers (may have to do with the fact the server is from Amsterdam).
Posted Image

#7 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 14:49

It's really good to hear that what we have is working well. Don't forget that if you'd like to see other things, besides plugins then let us know. For example:

• Do you want the L4D server to be both co-op, versus & survival?
  • Do you want another game server?
  • Should we have more moderators?
  • Do you want us to open the servers to more public players?
  • Do you want more server modifications/configs? ie do you want serious gaming or a laugh

It's great that it works and tbh you could say don't fix what isn't broken, but it's you lot that make the servers by playing on them and your ideas make them better.

@ Admiral, I'd like to know what you mean to.

#8 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 15:08

So far the L4D server has worked great for me :P . Ever since we've started using it I haven't had a microsecond of lag or latency of any kind.

View PostWizard, on 31 Jul 2009, 16:49, said:

It's really good to hear that what we have is working well. Don't forget that if you'd like to see other things, besides plugins then let us know. For example:

• Do you want more server modifications/configs? ie do you want serious gaming or a laugh
  • As far as I'm concerned it only needs versus mode, but I heard a couple of other guys play other game modes too so versatility may be in their interest.
  • For L4D, no other is needed of course, can't think of a game I'd want a separate server for.
  • Amount of mods seems fine, there's usually at least two or three on for L4D.
  • Pubs can use it as far as I'm concerned though I myself prefer games with FS people.
  • Need pause feature.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 31 July 2009 - 15:11

The TF² server is indeed perfect, but I think it could use one more moderator, as there are sometimes stupid players who stop by and start harassing the others by insulting them (it's very rare though)
Also, I think it could use some plugins to make gaming even more interesting, like the ones proposed in Hob's thread.

Spoiler

PS : I'm getting 70 ping, which is very good as I'm rather far from the server location, and have a correct connexion

Edited by Commander Carl, 31 July 2009 - 15:11.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#10 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 16:03

View PostChyros, on 31 Jul 2009, 16:08, said:

So far the L4D server has worked great for me :P . Ever since we've started using it I haven't had a microsecond of lag or latency of any kind.

View PostWizard, on 31 Jul 2009, 16:49, said:

• As far as I'm concerned it only needs versus mode, but I heard a couple of other guys play other game modes too so versatility may be in their interest.
  • For L4D, no other is needed of course, can't think of a game I'd want a separate server for.
  • Amount of mods seems fine, there's usually at least two or three on for L4D.
  • Pubs can use it as far as I'm concerned though I myself prefer games with FS people.
  • Need pause feature.

Seconded, although I don't see the need for a pause feature. Pubs can use it as long as when we need it, we can kick them. Which we can.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 16:24

View PostIon Cannon!, on 31 Jul 2009, 17:03, said:

Pubs can use it as long as when we need it, we can kick them. Which we can.

ATM, that isn't quite so simple on the L4D server, however as it's restricted to being started by FS Steam group members it's not a problem.

#12 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:06

View PostIon Cannon!, on 31 Jul 2009, 18:03, said:

Seconded, although I don't see the need for a pause feature. Pubs can use it as long as when we need it, we can kick them. Which we can.
So that whenever someone goes AFK or drop, you won't have to worry about hordes or ammo or being unfair - you can just pause it.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:33

View PostCommander Carl, on 31 Jul 2009, 16:11, said:

PS : I'm getting 70 ping, which is very good as I'm rather far from the server location, and have a correct connexion

Is there a command on TF2 which tells you your ping or something?
Posted Image

#14 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:37

The scoreboard shows your ping.

@Wiz, keep it private then. If making it public complicates things.
@Chyros, I see. Yeah that makes sense now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:37

View PostZhen, on 31 Jul 2009, 18:33, said:

View PostCommander Carl, on 31 Jul 2009, 16:11, said:

Is there a command on TF2 which tells you your ping or something?

It says on the scoreboard next to your name.

The only thing i would like to see is the plug-in which stops people sitting out in arena mode of TF2, but otherwise its all good.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#16 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:44

Sitting out only occurs when one team has more players than the other. As arena is 1 life only, one team having an extra player would be a huge advantage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 17:47

View PostIon Cannon!, on 31 Jul 2009, 18:44, said:

Sitting out only occurs when one team has more players than the other. As arena is 1 life only, one team having an extra player would be a huge advantage.

Its really not a huge advantage, i play on non-sitout severs all the time and the team with more players looses just as much as a team with 1 less. Arena is about team work and not outnumbering the enemy.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#18 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:04

If both teams are playing as a team and have excellent teamwork the team with an extra player will more than likely win, thats an unfair advantage. Besides arena matches are short, you don't have to sit out very long and it allows you to relax, get a snack ect.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:08

View PostIon Cannon!, on 31 Jul 2009, 19:04, said:

If both teams are playing as a team and have excellent teamwork the team with an extra player will more than likely win, thats an unfair advantage. Besides arena matches are short, you don't have to sit out very long and it allows you to relax, get a snack ect.

True, that can be very useful, as long as it doesn't make the same player sit twice in a row...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#20 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:44

It'd be easier to join the L4D server if it were tied to the unofficial group. We could use the "Join Steam Group Server" button to full effect.

Spoiler

Edited by Høbbesy, 31 July 2009 - 18:47.

#21 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:45

And that's where I say fun goes above competition. It's more fun if everyone can play, even if the teams are slightly imbalanced. The players can always ask someone to move to the other team if there is a serious difference in skill level, that's no problem.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:47

View PostHøbbesy, on 31 Jul 2009, 19:44, said:

It'd be easier to join the L4D server if it were tied to the unofficial group. We could use the "Join Steam Group Server" button to full effect.

Its tied to the official group. I'm not having access to a server paid for by the admins given by someone off the moderating team.

#23 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:48

View PostDauth, on 31 Jul 2009, 13:47, said:

Its tied to the official group. I'm not having access to a server paid for by the admins given by someone off the moderating team.

What's the point of a server for the community if only the admins have access to it?

#24 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:50

View PostHøbbesy, on 31 Jul 2009, 19:48, said:

View PostDauth, on 31 Jul 2009, 13:47, said:

What's the point of a server for the community if only the admins have access to it?

That's not what I said, access to the unofficial group is not controlled by the moderating team, there are others who can allow people in. Quite simply I'm not risking our money.

#25 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 18:51

View PostCodeCat, on 31 Jul 2009, 19:45, said:

And that's where I say fun goes above competition. It's more fun if everyone can play, even if the teams are slightly imbalanced. The players can always ask someone to move to the other team if there is a serious difference in skill level, that's no problem.

I was going to add something to that but Code sums it up nicely.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users