• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:09

I know we have a few contests on the go at the moment but i thought it would be quite cool if we had a team based contest as well as the individual ones.
Mod teams would compete against each other designing unique units for Zero Hour. Because the whole team would be working together, you can do what ever you can to the unit (model, skin and provide in-game footage) to make it look the best.
I think it might be pretty fun to have the teams competing against each other. If enough people are up for it, I'll post some rules and i will run the contests. The contests would be Zero hour based due to the amount of Zero Hour modders on here and all footage would need to be taken from Zero Hour. Poly would also need to fit zero hour standards. All models could become public after the contest has finished.

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 04 August 2009 - 14:10.

Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:20

Mmm, interesting idea, though the thing itself might be a little challenging to pull out.

#3 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:31

i am interested.
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#4 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 14:33

I didn't put it in the first post but there would be long deadlines to give all the teams a chance to enter ;)

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 18:44

Sorry for the Double post but I'd just like to say the EC team are all on board so we are ready to roll.
I've spoken to AZZKIKR and his team are going to enter as well so we have 2 entrants. If we can get a couple more i will post some more official rules with poly limits, deadlines etc.

Mike

Edited by Mbob61, 04 August 2009 - 18:45.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 19:07

If it wasn't for ZH, I'd be in,as I'm basically a "one man team", but I don't have ZH anymore, nor do I remember entirely how to mod it...

#7 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 04 August 2009 - 22:10

So......it's basic, different teams working in the same mod tematic competting against each other to create the best modification [overall quality/time used to manufacture the mod/ballance]? <--- this might be cool

Or is just create a unit, skin it, put ingame and show for people?
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#8 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 23:53

create unit.
it's time to wake up

#9 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 00:54

One guy could do that job...that's why i think that might be better different teams working in the same mod tematic competting against each other to create the best modification...
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

#10 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:09

making a mod would take forever, besides not everyone knows how to do everything.

#11 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 13:20

That's why a true contest and a "modding team Challenge."

FS would provide a forum called 1st modding contest, with sub-forums: Team Alpha, Team Beta, Team "X". Them the mod teams would be progressing showing updates. That's my personal opinion and i really belive that would be a nice "long" challenge.
Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 14:12

That simply is not going to happen. Why would people stop their own mods to take part in this? Even with teams as big as EC or SWR that would seriously stop production on their main projects. The logisitics of that sort of competition would be impossible as well, to run it right.

#13 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 14:28

That's just an idea...
Posted Image

#14 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:24

I think this is definitely feasible, but a no-go on the extra forums.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#15 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:27

Single units are feasible, problem is the one man mods. Can someone be in more than one team? Its a great way to split allegiances.

#16 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:13

Yeah...

But i think if someone is in more tham 2 teams...wouldn't be good...
Posted Image

#17 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:15

We have some people involved in half a dozen projects. I read pretty much all modification content and drop in wherever I can be of use. We're a community not a bunch of enemies all held together by the board.

#18 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 21:52

Yeah...so let's do it!
Posted Image

#19 Jordan

Crazy Modder

• Gold Member
  • 2704 posts
  • Projects: C&C Crazy Mod Leader

Posted 06 August 2009 - 00:40

This might be me being too outside the box, but what if you combined all of the units into a single mod? Then players could see which new unit they like the most. Also, they could try combinations of new units if they are the same faction. Maybe Team A's artillery is extremely effective when backed up by Team B's tanks.

It is entirely feasible, just needs a little more work to code and skin the units for the game. Making new units isn't really that hard. Almost all units in my Crazy Mod don't even use a single custom texture.

You might want to limit types of units made however. The massive tank that can crush other vehicles and shoot anti-air missiles will probably do better than a grenade-launching infantry unit.

-Jordan
C&C Crazy Mod Version 0.55
^^^^The True Crazy Mod Starts Here^^^^
Posted Image

#20 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:08

A year ago or something there was a unit contest on filefront. That means modelling, skinning, coding, and more (particle, sounds, ...)

This is a very good idea imho. Every team (or single person) would create one unit (or a bunch of units) and post them. After that we vote for a winner.

Although this units would have to be balanced and we would need some restrictions. (no super-units)
Posted Image

#21 Mbob61

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:37

They wouldn't be judged on in game balance but we would vote on them like we do for any other modeling contest.
If someone wants to work on more than one team, thats their choice :xD:

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:43

I think some rough in-game balance should be taken care of so the unit won't be potentially game-breaking. Just rough, not fine balancing, which is easy enough.

#23 samster01

Lord Kirby

• Project Leader
  • 1317 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict Co-Leader and FF Beta Tester

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:02

View PostJordan, on 6 Aug 2009, 1:40, said:

This might be me being too outside the box, but what if you combined all of the units into a single mod? Then players could see which new unit they like the most. Also, they could try combinations of new units if they are the same faction. Maybe Team A's artillery is extremely effective when backed up by Team B's tanks.

It is entirely feasible, just needs a little more work to code and skin the units for the game. Making new units isn't really that hard. Almost all units in my Crazy Mod don't even use a single custom texture.

You might want to limit types of units made however. The massive tank that can crush other vehicles and shoot anti-air missiles will probably do better than a grenade-launching infantry unit.

-Jordan

I agree with Jordan, putting all the units into a single mod at the end of the contest would be a great idea. :xD:

I also agree with JJ, that we should do some basic balancing of the units so they don't end up instant killing everything they fire at. :xD:

That will make the small mod, created at the end of the contest, more fun to play.

Maybe each team could post a video of the unit they create in action? A program such as the basic version of fraps is simple to download. It wouldn't even matter if the video included sound, since most free video recording programs can't record sound.

- Sam

Edited by Samster01, 06 August 2009 - 12:05.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Many thanks to Pav3d for the awesome EC sig. :P Gameplay >>>>> Graphics Always

#24 Jordan

Crazy Modder

• Gold Member
  • 2704 posts
  • Projects: C&C Crazy Mod Leader

Posted 06 August 2009 - 17:44

Super Units can be balanced, you just need to give them a build limit to prevent spamming.
C&C Crazy Mod Version 0.55
^^^^The True Crazy Mod Starts Here^^^^
Posted Image

#25 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 00:11

build limits are seldom good balance mechanics. the best way to balance a super unit is to tweak it's stats appropriately.

or not use them altogether, saves you a lot of trouble :P
it's time to wake up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users