Separatist movements against PRC

4 replies to this topic

#1 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 23:30

Mostly everyone knows that the Taiwanese government claims they are a separate nation, and Taiwanese citizens seems to agree with that as well. However, the PRC government claims that Taiwan is part of the PRC, and that Taiwan should follow the examples of Hong Kong and Macao and rejoin China to avoid armed conflicts.

In 2008, Tibetan separatist rioted and claimed that the Tibet Autonomous Region is on its own, and the main supporter is Dalai Lama. Dalai, however, was expelled from China over 50 years ago during "Liberation of Tibet" as of official records and official media. If my memory serves correctly, Tibet was a par of China long before the Medival Era ended in Europe.

This year, Uyghur ethnic conflict is still continuing in China. Uyghur is an Islamic Chinese minority ethnic group. They claims that the Chinese majority, Han ethnic group, is trying to assimilate them into Han population without respecting their culture and such, and wanted separation. Chinese police force dispatched a large riot, and nearly 200 people were killed as a result.

So, what's your opinion on these separatist movements? Why do they want to separate? Do they have hard evidence to support them? Do the Chinese government have hard evidence to support their point of view?

#2 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 05 August 2009 - 23:55

well, tbh i think i read that this started because the chinese govt practiced a similar approach to the soviet union on minorities. the regions were left autonomous, and isolated (for xinjiang). what shud have started was influx and integration of han culture into xinjiang, and uighur culture into rest of china. there shud also be like "uighur" appreciation day. as the prc face the same problem with xinjiang as the russians face with chechnya, separatists.

The key failings of the PRC govt was to not integrate society. for tibet too, like xinjiang is an autonomus government, left to its own, and similarly isolated from the rest of the PRC. hence, they feel that they might be better off if not associated with a government.

Edited by AZZKIKR, 06 August 2009 - 01:16.

Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#3 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 15:48

Republic of China (Taiwan) actually still claimed that the PRC (minus Tibet) and Inner Mongolia were part of RoC. They are both Chinese except that one is ran by communists while the other one was an authoritarian state (today its a democratic country and they gave up, well not completely, on reclaiming the mainland). 50 years before Taiwan joining PRC was impossible but nowadays it could actually work but would they really give away their independence?

Now as for the Uyghur separation...Even in the UN constituion it is said that every ethnic group is allowed for its own state/country. Uyghurs want to separate, fine but in order to acomplish that they need to have organised armed force and goverment and the ability to support itself (unless someone else is willing to help like in the case of Kosovo)

Edited by TehKiller, 07 August 2009 - 15:50.

Posted Image

#4 markintellect

Professional

• 397 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 20:21

I believe that people have a right to self-determination, so long as it is decided by a fair and unbiased vote involving no violence. I disagree vehemently with armed separatists who, in my opinion, are just making their situation worse. I do not think that states can be taken over, then their right to self-determination removed from them, so I believe that Taiwan has every right to be its own, independent state with every diplomatic right that is given to any other state.

I do recognise that the Dalai Lama and the utmost majority of his supporters abhor violence, and I commend them for that. I do not believe that another state has any right to prevent peaceful gathering of supporters of independence. I also very much disagree with the inferred Chinese government policy of trying to censor and use the media against any peaceful efforts to support independence, but that is another matter altogether.
Posted Image

48 65 6c 6c 6f 2c 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 21

#5 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 13:10

A state needs to be firm and strong in order to have a raison d'ĂȘtre, allowing a group of people to separate from it for nothing but their own goals will inevitably lead to the disintegration to the point where it can't sustain itself anymore. Once one region splits from the main country, it's only a question of time until other wealthy regions will come to the conclusion "hey, we've got money, screw the leechs" and deprives the state of their economic power. Especially for a mega-state like China, this is a major threat. Communism is a lot harder if there's no one left to exploit.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users